• Sycamore Mohawk

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Patrick Henry

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Jackson Center

Votes: 10 6.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mogadore stayed close against Richmond Heights despite their 2 bigs being out. Ended up losing by 20 after cutting to 10 early 4th quarter. But probably as close as most will come.

Mogadore stayed close against Richmond Heights despite their 2 bigs being out. Ended up losing by 20 after cutting to 10 early 4th quarter. But probably as close as most will come.
Serious question, not trolling. What is Mogadore's style of play, that they were successful against Richmond Hts? I don't know anything about them? Thanks!!

Serious question, not trolling. What is Mogadore's style of play, that they were successful against Richmond Hts? I don't know anything about them? Thanks
If losing by 20 points in the district finals is considered successful that’s all anyone needs to know who is winning the title in 2 weeks

If losing by 20 points in the district finals is considered successful that’s all anyone needs to know who is winning the title in 2 weeks
Totally right, "successful" was a bad choice of words :) I didn't expect that one to be a 10 point game in the 4th. Just curious what they did to keep it close.

Mogadore plays tenacious defense and hits lots of 3 point shots. Since losing their top scorer and rebounder along with his replacement, they had to rely on a sophomore who did a great job. But to go against an all star AAU put together team, they fared reasonably well. Interesting to see how other true D4 teams do.

Mogadore has good perimeter shooters but we're pressured by Richmond to rush those shots. I think Mogadore might could have won that game with a stronger post presence to collapse Richmonds defense in more. It looked like Mogadore was overwhelmed by the swarming of Richmond initially and i expected a blowout after the first quarter. But I was surprised how scrappy Mogadore was with good defense and balanced open floor offense they stuck right with them and actually outscored Richmond by 4 or 6 pts in the 3rd quarter. I will say that aside from his dunks, Richmonds' Dorian Jones had easily the worst shooting night I've ever seen out of him- and he was very much open on those jumpers. I could see his teammates telling him to keep shooting but he couldn't seem to get any rhythm.

Mogadore has good perimeter shooters but we're pressured by Richmond to rush those shots. I think Mogadore might could have won that game with a stronger post presence to collapse Richmonds defense in more. It looked like Mogadore was overwhelmed by the swarming of Richmond initially and i expected a blowout after the first quarter. But I was surprised how scrappy Mogadore was with good defense and balanced open floor offense they stuck right with them and actually outscored Richmond by 4 or 6 pts in the 3rd quarter. I will say that aside from his dunks, Richmonds' Dorian Jones had easily the worst shooting night I've ever seen out of him- and he was very much open on those jumpers. I could see his teammates telling him to keep shooting but he couldn't seem to get any rhythm.
2 of those stronger post players for Mogadore were on the bench in street clothes due to season ending injuries.

There's only one team hands down, everyone else is fighting for a state runner-up trophy
That would only be true if we had a double elimination tournament. You essentially can only go until your path crosses that one team. That means you are simply trying to win until you face near certain elimination. Only two regions have the privilege of playing for state runner up, the other two do not.

True, just like that Marion Local vs Cornerstone team an upset is possible, but I would believe highly improbable. More likely is the defeat by 20 -30 points that are going to be viewed as "playing them close". For the two regions not in the path of that one team, may the best team win, and good luck on securing that runner up trophy.

That would only be true if we had a double elimination tournament. You essentially can only go until your path crosses that one team. That means you are simply trying to win until you face near certain elimination. Only two regions have the privilege of playing for state runner up, the other two do not.

True, just like that Marion Local vs Cornerstone team an upset is possible, but I would believe highly improbable. More likely is the defeat by 20 -30 points that are going to be viewed as "playing them close". For the two regions not in the path of that one team, may the best team win, and good luck on securing that runner up trophy.

I think there will be teams playing Richmond Heights tougher this year then last year. If their shots don't fall from the outside that's the only chance to keep it close. They don't have the 2 big studs inside they had last year. I could be wrong but I know it's hard for any team to go back to back without any close games. I watched my team get smoked by them last year. Hard to watch but still proud of our kids.

Marion Local has some size to deal with, Jackson Center plays great D and is extremely well coached, and Russia is playing very inspired for losing their head coach before the start of the season. With that being said, you just never know in March Madness season!
I like the D of Jackson Center, and their Coach is retiring after this season......

I like the D of Jackson Center, and their Coach is retiring after this season......
I think JC's style of play will give them the best shot against Richmond Heights.

They have good guards with Fark and Mullenhour and they have a 6'5 kid who can handle it some. They will make Richmond Heights defend for long periods of time, and grind things out.

Russia wants to run up and down. Their guards are not as good as JC, however they do have more size than JC and overall are more athletic. I just don't see them hanging in there with Richmond Heights.

Marion Local has a bunch of size, but they don't have a true point guard. Hess kid is athletic, but doesn't handle it well. Mescher is a great shooter, but doesn't handle it much. They don't have a third guard to handle pressure.

Regardless if anyone can stay within 15 points I think it is a positive for d4 basketball this year.

Whoever wins between Convoy Crestview and Marion Local (assuming they run into eachother in the reginal finals) will figure out a way to give themselves a puncher's chance.

Very weak regional down in Athens overall. I'd think Hiland comes out of there.

SEO guy here and yes, I agree. This is probably the weakest Athens D4 Regional I've seen in many, many years. Hiland will likely come out as the champion and most believed this was a rebuild year for Hiland.

From
Very weak regional down in Athens overall. I'd think Hiland comes out of there.
From the Hiland area so I hope I'm wrong but I'd be shocked if Hiland came out of Athens. Hawks are playing much better now then they were and they had a brutal schedule but still a very young team.

I think JC's style of play will give them the best shot against Richmond Heights.

They have good guards with Fark and Mullenhour and they have a 6'5 kid who can handle it some. They will make Richmond Heights defend for long periods of time, and grind things out.

Russia wants to run up and down. Their guards are not as good as JC, however they do have more size than JC and overall are more athletic. I just don't see them hanging in there with Richmond Heights.

Marion Local has a bunch of size, but they don't have a true point guard. Hess kid is athletic, but doesn't handle it well. Mescher is a great shooter, but doesn't handle it much. They don't have a third guard to handle pressure.

Regardless if anyone can stay within 15 points I think it is a positive for d4 basketball this year.
You must have seen Hess on an off night. He has handled the press just fine his entire career and with his penetration and passing, has picked apart defenses his entire career. Very few teams press Marion Local when he is on the court. When they do press, he typically sends about a 3/4 court pass down the court for a lay up or a 2 on 1 fast break opportunity. He leads the MAC in assists and is about a 75% free throw shooter averaging about 9 points per game. He is definitely a true point guard. If the MAC Coaches just thought he was only an athlete, I am guessing that hey wouldn't have voted him first team All MAC as there were plenty of good guards to choose from this year.

You must have seen Hess on an off night. He has handled the press just fine his entire career and with his penetration and passing, has picked apart defenses his entire career. Very few teams press Marion Local when he is on the court. When they do press, he typically sends about a 3/4 court pass down the court for a lay up or a 2 on 1 fast break opportunity. He leads the MAC in assists and is about a 75% free throw shooter averaging about 9 points per game. He is definitely a true point guard. If the MAC Coaches just thought he was only an athlete, I am guessing that hey wouldn't have voted him first team All MAC as there were plenty of good guards to choose from this year.
Your son?

Richmond Hts seems to just be going thru the motions so far in the tourney. Shoot a lot of quick threes when they could easily get a layup with a pass or 2.

Your son?
No, just been a big Flyer and MAC fan for a long time.

No, just been a big Flyer and MAC fan for a long time.
wasn't a knock against the Hess kid he is a good player, but Marion Local athletes vs Richmond Heights athletes is apples and oranges. Just an opinion. The reason we all get on this website is to spew them and act like we all know something.

Trust me if Marion plays Richmond Heights I will have all yellow and blue on all the way to my underwear.

wasn't a knock against the Hess kid he is a good player, but Marion Local athletes vs Richmond Heights athletes is apples and oranges. Just an opinion. The reason we all get on this website is to spew them and act like we all know something.

Trust me if Marion plays Richmond Heights I will have all yellow and blue on all the way to my underwear.
We will take your word for that last part. Please no pictures! Lol

From

From the Hiland area so I hope I'm wrong but I'd be shocked if Hiland came out of Athens. Hawks are playing much better now then they were and they had a brutal schedule but still a very young team.
I could be very wrong, but I don't think anyone in Berlin should be shaking in their boots over Federal Hocking, Northside or Green. They aren't exactly household names in any sports, let alone basketball.