2022-23 VASJ Vikings Basketball: Official Thread

Hey rubber city what is your ties to Vasj? Is Vasj your backup plan when you pull your son from Ginn? You’re on this Viking basketball thread talking about Ginn always. You leaving options open in case you’re not happy with his playing time.I hear lake catholic numbers down maybe that’s another option. They looking for public school kids to give them life values and maybe a ship they’ll never going to get.

I’m not a supporter of either really, my son will attend Ginn Academy. That said, Lake stinks at basketball and football and there have been several racial situations at Lake. Sports are a big part of high school but it seems Lake should focus on teaching young people some life values.
Another post. Interesting. And what do you know, it’s about racism and bigotry.

VASJ has another tough triple header tonight at Mentor. The freshman won and the JV lost. The varsity game could get ugly. Mentor is normally very disciplined and usually shoot the 3 really well at home. That could mean a long night for the young Vikings.

Last edited:
Freshman looked dominate against Mentor, after that it was a show.Jv looked like they don't even care about passing the ball. Just the freshman kid who plays jv can pass. Everyone else just puts their head down and drives wildly to the hoop. It's a 50 5o chance it goes in. There are no pure shooter on jv they need t bring up another 3ball threat from freshman that can just spot up and give double digits. And they are there waiting for the call up. Varsity just out gunned and out coached . Mentor varsity looked sharp and Vasj did nothing to slow them down . Kept running same set over and over. But for what it's worth they fought till the end . That was encouraging

VASJ played maybe their best game of the season Friday against Hoban. While the young Vikings still lost - they put forth a better effort. I think they started a Freshman, 2 Sophomores and 2 Juniors. They at times played out of control and struggled with rebounding and boxing out - but they did not give up and played hard against a solid Hoban squad ranked 14th in the area. The Freshman won and JV lost. This team has a long way to go and needs to get stronger. The biggest concern is that kids still look lost on offense and defense. The kids will get a lot of valuable experience coming up some with some tough games on the slate.

VASJ played maybe their best game of the season Friday against Hoban. While the young Vikings still lost - they put forth a better effort. I think they started a Freshman, 2 Sophomores and 2 Juniors. They at times played out of control and struggled with rebounding and boxing out - but they did not give up and played hard against a solid Hoban squad ranked 14th in the area. The Freshman won and JV lost. This team has a long way to go and needs to get stronger. The biggest concern is that kids still look lost on offense and defense. The kids will get a lot of valuable experience coming up some with some tough games on the slate.
Glad you could get us an update about the young Vikes without the Lake County shadow looking over your shoulder. Are we located on 185th or RT. 306? Starting to wonder.

Well said brother. I didn't catch the game but friends were there , said Vikings looked better then they have been. Also Jv offense looked like a 6th grade cyo team!! Coaching was horrible?? They ran a quick hitter play over and over. Freshman should be undefeated lost to Iggies cuz the starting point guard and 2 bigmen only 2 quarters to play up on Jv. The results would of been different

Congratulations to the Vikings on the win. Number 11 was a shooter. They are a well coached team as well. Not sure how young they are? Good luck the rest of the way.

Nice win by the Vikings tonight and a decent showing against Ed's. Team is starting to come together a bit. I wish I was there tonight but I'm a bit tied up for the next 6-8 weeks recovering.

Congratulations to the Vikings on the win. Number 11 was a shooter. They are a well coached team as well. Not sure how young they are? Good luck the rest of the way.
Very young roster, not many seniors and juniors. Not sure off the top of my head, haven’t been able to make it to majority of the games. Been able to catch glimpses via the streams and I’ve already seen growth from that debacle against Walsh. Hell of an effort to keep the game against a very good St.Ed’s team competitive until they pulled away in the 4th. It’s gonna be a matter of when, when the foundation is finally set. So we will see how well they develop in the next season or two.

Last edited:
Tonight will be a pretty special night at the Purple Palace as the Vikings host University School tonight on Alumni Night. In addition to Alumni Night, the 1991, 1992, and 2013 State Championship teams will be honored this evening. Tip off for Varsity is slated for 7pm.

The varsity is 2 players away from being a legit contender. They need a solid CENTER in the 6'6" to 6'9" range (there is a Freshman that fits that mold) and an excellent POINT that can facilitate, shoot, drive and finish. The program has many pieces to the puzzle.

We are JOES. We are not interested in iGGYS, eDs, 3RC, etc. Remember, we have many -SHIPS and, thus, they are looking up to us.

Last edited:
The varsity is 2 players away from being a legit contender. They need a solid CENTER in the 6'6" to 6'9" range (there is a Freshman that fits that mold) and an excellent POINT that can facilitate, shoot, drive and finish. The program has many pieces to the puzzle.

We are JOES. We are not interested in iGGYS, eDs, 3RC, etc. Remember, we have many -SHIPS and, thus, they are looking up to us.
I agree 100%.. Freshman is loaded with talent. Does Vasj have the coaching to mold these youngsters??. You have to allow these boys to play to thier strengths. I feel like when watching the games the system taking away what each boy can do. Especially a jv game.. Same with Varsity but not as bad. I don't see very much ball movement. Too much iso ball . No opportunity to make plays off ball movemnt. Just drive to hoop . I like to see an extra pass , spreading the court maybe one back door cut?? It's to much trying to take the defender to the rack.. I could be wrong but when the ball is moving there's so many opportunities to create...

The Vikings used an ineligible player in 3 of their games earlier this season, one being against LC. I’m going to assume this guy didn’t play in the 20 point loss to NDCL earlier this week?

Good luck in the postseason.

The Vikings used an ineligible player in 3 of their games earlier this season, one being against LC. I’m going to assume this guy didn’t play in the 20 point loss to NDCL earlier this week?

Nice try. There were no ineligible players. 3RC lost, as usual, to JOES. Learn to live with it.

Nice try. There were no ineligible players. 3RC lost, as usual, to JOES. Learn to live with it.
Wrong as usual. JOES forfeited 3 wins for ineligible player. Just ask coach. Why do you think you lost to NDCL by 20 points? But according to you, JOES is 2 players away from a legit contender lol.

How did you lose to NDCL by 20 points?

Wrong as usual. JOES forfeited 3 wins for ineligible player. Just ask coach. Why do you think you lost to NDCL by 20 points? But according to you, JOES is 2 players away from a legit contender lol.

How did you lose to NDCL by 20 points?
You come over to this thread to pump up 3RC. You lost and we do not give a ?#@% about 3RC. You lost in football and lost in basketball but won in bigotry. Go away.

You come over to this thread to pump up 3RC. You lost and we do not give a ?#@% about 3RC. You lost in football and lost in basketball but won in bigotry. Go away.
I came over to this thread to let people know that JOES got caught cheating AGAIN. This time in basketball. Don’t worry, CTown will be here eventually to let you know you‘re wrong as usual. Or, If you’re so connected at JOES, call the AD or Coach Ward and ask what 3 games they had to forfeit.

For the third time, how did you lose to NDCL by 20 points?

Last edited:
Thank you, Mr. Lake Catholic High School Man, for taking the time out of your busy morning to come over to this thread yet again. I'll bite, yes VASJ had to forfeit 3 games due to an ineligible player, a transfer rule where he played past the half-way point of the season, that was missed by admin. That young man is a reserve guard who averaged a couple minutes a game. Not what you want people to believe, that he was some 40-point scorer, that led to the Vikes beating you yet again this year. Word around Cougar Country is that you were pretty embarrassed losing to a Vikes team that is young and down this year. Or is it, that you had to drop us from your football schedule after two straight losses and you really thought this was your chance to get some bragging rights?

Just as you like to insincerely end your posts, good luck to the Cougars in the postseason!

I came over to this thread to let people know that JOES got caught cheating AGAIN. This time in basketball. Don’t worry, CTown will be here eventually to let you know you‘re wrong as usual. Or, If you’re so connected at JOES, call the AD or Coach Ward and ask what 3 games they had to forfeit.

For the third time, how did you lose to NDCL by 20 points?
Check the score. All of your seniors lost to a bunch of sophomores. 3RC is irrelevant to JOES concerning BB. Here is some advice. Quit doing racist acts and you will get more respect.

Thank you, Mr. Lake Catholic High School Man, for taking the time out of your busy morning to come over to this thread yet again. I'll bite, yes VASJ had to forfeit 3 games due to an ineligible player, a transfer rule where he played past the half-way point of the season, that was missed by admin. That young man is a reserve guard who averaged a couple minutes a game. Not what you want people to believe, that he was some 40-point scorer, that led to the Vikes beating you yet again this year. Word around Cougar Country is that you were pretty embarrassed losing to a Vikes team that is young and down this year. Or is it, that you had to drop us from your football schedule after two straight losses and you really thought this was your chance to get some bragging rights?

Just as you like to insincerely end your posts, good luck to the Cougars in the postseason!
I came to this thread to respond to the clown. That’s what a forum is. Did you read the post above I put out congratulating VASJ for defeating Lake? Saying #11 was a shooter and wishing the team the luck the rest of the way?

So why am I wrong to come to this thread to state that LC won the game by forfeit? Look at the response I got after I posted that. The hatred by some of the VASJ people on yappi is crazy. At least I speak the truth. Thanks for clarifying the win for Lake as viking4life is wrong as usual.

So tell me, I see you created a new account. Why was this your first post? What did I say that was wrong and got you so upset? Football, bragging rights??? Where is this all coming from?

FYI, Lake didn’t drop VASJ in football because of two straight losses. They dropped VASJ because Coach Rotsky is a cheater and got caught. Just like in basketball, cheating there as well.

Last edited:

I’m sorry but you ended up jumping on this thread after it’s been quiet for a bit and stirred the pot and got the reaction you wanted. You’re just as guilty of trolling as anyone else here. So I wouldn’t play the “I’m a classy person” card on this one.

Back to Basketball - I was able to attend the VASJ vs Warrensville game on Weds (fist half and 2nd half of JV). The JV has talent. There is a big center #23 that shows potential. The JVs used their superior speed and unselfish play to run the undermanned Tigers out of the gym. The varsity is a work in progress. I only saw the first half - but the play was sloppy. Turnover after turnover and several times Tiger players were able to take a defensive rebound coast to coast without any resistance. The guard play is very poor. I see a lot of one handed and I'll advised passes. I saw numerous time where multiple players were in the same area of the floor and passes that allowed a player to easily get trapped along the sideline or corner.

I'm not sure what Ward did at halftime or if Warrensville just ran out of gas (9 players) - but Joe's turned a halftime deficit into a 15 point victory. I do think the future is a bit brighter based on what the Freshman and JV teams are doing. I think it's very possible that some of the varsity players that have spots this year may not have one next year. They have a few kids that need to grow a bit and fill out - but the cupboard is not as empty as once thought. I'm not so sure that the JV would not beat the Varsity. I do not expect a very deep run this year in the playoffs. It would be nice if somehow Ward could open up the Richmond Heights pipeline like the previous coach. Unfortunately with Heights current success I don't see that happening.

Back to Basketball - I was able to attend the VASJ vs Warrensville game on Weds (fist half and 2nd half of JV). The JV has talent. There is a big center #23 that shows potential. The JVs used their superior speed and unselfish play to run the undermanned Tigers out of the gym. The varsity is a work in progress. I only saw the first half - but the play was sloppy. Turnover after turnover and several times Tiger players were able to take a defensive rebound coast to coast without any resistance. The guard play is very poor. I see a lot of one handed and I'll advised passes. I saw numerous time where multiple players were in the same area of the floor and passes that allowed a player to easily get trapped along the sideline or corner.

I'm not sure what Ward did at halftime or if Warrensville just ran out of gas (9 players) - but Joe's turned a halftime deficit into a 15 point victory. I do think the future is a bit brighter based on what the Freshman and JV teams are doing. I think it's very possible that some of the varsity players that have spots this year may not have one next year. They have a few kids that need to grow a bit and fill out - but the cupboard is not as empty as once thought. I'm not so sure that the JV would not beat the Varsity. I do not expect a very deep run this year in the playoffs. It would be nice if somehow Ward could open up the Richmond Heights pipeline like the previous coach. Unfortunately with Heights current success I don't see that happening.
That was my thoughts as well after seeing them play US a couple of weeks ago. A lot of growing is needed this off-season and the talent at the lower levels am sure will blossom. As noted, the ineligible player was an error on the administration end and have paid the price, end of story, not like they were trying to cheat their way to wins considering the kid in question was a end of lopsided game type player. I’ve mentioned too that growing pains are expected and we are seeing them.

Hopefully the kids that are sophomores and freshman who played varsity this year as a learning experience and work to get better in the summer.

I nearly left at halftime after watching the turnover fest. I was persuaded to stay. JOES (smile when you say that 3RC) played a perfect 3rd Quarter. They outscored Warrensville 23-2, committed only 2 turnovers, hit 3s, drove to the hoop and finished, rebounded and D-UP. The 4th was much of the same. The starting PG and a wing were benched and did not play in the 2nd half. I hope that you are feeling better. Be well.

Last edited:

The name of the new school is 3RC. LCHS is closed.

I am not interested in your popularity contest. JOES got the best of you as usual and you cannot deal with it. You are unwilling to answer questions about 3RC's racism. You are living in denial.
Please stop trolling the trolls on YOUR school's thread with facts. It upsets the " Everyone gets a trophy" crowd. They might censor you!