NBA thread

Congrats to LeBron for the all time scoring record last night.

I know he has a lot of haters around Yappi, but it's a massive accomplishment, nonetheless. What's almost as amazing is that he's 4th all time in assists as well.

I have had ZERO interest in LeBron breaking the scoring record. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has had the scoring record for decades and is never included in lists of the greatest players of all time. LeBron has played more minutes, more games, and has the ball in his hands more than anyone else in history. This is simply a byproduct of it. I respect the talent, but not the player. LeBron's interviews are so self serving and pompous. Normally, as guys age they get more humble. LeBron rarely gives his teammates any credit. Listen to his interviews. It's all I's and Me's.
You know who he sounds like from another sport, Aaron Rodgers.

I can only speak for myself, but the main reasons I have faded away from the NBA are:

1. An unlikeable group of stars. Has there ever been a more detestable group of big names than LeBron, Kyrie, Harden, Draymond, Kawhi and even Durant? Ben Simmons is a headcase. Ja Morant suddenly seems like a guy who could have off-court issues. Guys like Steph and Giannis aren’t enough to overcome the overall negative image brought on by the other guys.

2. Lack of rivalries. The 90s had Bulls-Knicks, Knicks-Heat, Knicks-Pacers, Bulls-Pacers. The 80s had Celtics-Lakers, Pistons-Celtics, Pistons-Bulls. There really aren’t any rivalries in today’s NBA.

3. Style of play. It’s too much three-point shooting and flopping around trying to goad whistles. Things that used to be common fouls are flagrant fouls now.

It’s true, it’s true. Trust me …

I can only speak for myself, but the main reasons I have faded away from the NBA are:

1. An unlikeable group of stars. Has there ever been a more detestable group of big names than LeBron, Kyrie, Harden, Draymond, Kawhi and even Durant? Ben Simmons is a headcase. Ja Morant suddenly seems like a guy who could have off-court issues. Guys like Steph and Giannis aren’t enough to overcome the overall negative image brought on by the other guys.

2. Lack of rivalries. The 90s had Bulls-Knicks, Knicks-Heat, Knicks-Pacers, Bulls-Pacers. The 80s had Celtics-Lakers, Pistons-Celtics, Pistons-Bulls. There really aren’t any rivalries in today’s NBA.

3. Style of play. It’s too much three-point shooting and flopping around trying to goad whistles. Things that used to be common fouls are flagrant fouls now.

I'm a big NBA fan, to see the best in the world at there professions are always good for me.

I do agree, there is an unlikable group of stars today. But this is really the evolution of sports. Simply put, there was a day when the "best" players in a sport needed to market themselves for endorsement deals and other opportunities to make more money. But when the starts are making generational wealth, there is no need to "play nice". The pro leagues outside of the NFL has weak management up to the commishoner, and the NBA is the worst.
David Silver is a terrible commissioner. His predecessor, David Stern was great. Stern knew the players needed to behave to be able to sell tickets and TV packages. Remember the rift between the players about the dress code? Iverson wore his gang banging closthes and Stern said no. Shirts and ties on road trips and media sessions. People - business people pay alot to buy tickets to your games and sponsor the teams and arenas, we need a professional look.

Rivalries are simply a product of player movement. Unless you're going to somehow restrict player movement - good luck with that - rivalries are a thing of the past. These guys are buddies since their AAU days at age 10.

I think we've debated the style of play. I would agree, the 3 point shot has become too big of a part of the game. But again, this was done to eliminate packing the paint, and you have to have it close enough that guys can shoot it well enough to force guys to guard it. I really dont' know an alternative. I do feel, and again I think we've discussed this before too, if fouls were called that are fouls, the two point shot would become more attractive. It's now a better shot to take an uncontested 3 than to take a shot anywhere near the rim because there is so much contact not called.

My solution is the NBA needs to address these concerns with the players association and come up with some common sense rules on roster and player mobility. I think and older league would be better because players would be more established. Too many 18-19-20 year olds in the NBA. They are not even fully developed players, they are learning on the fly.

I have had ZERO interest in LeBron breaking the scoring record. Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has had the scoring record for decades and is never included in lists of the greatest players of all time. LeBron has played more minutes, more games, and has the ball in his hands more than anyone else in history. This is simply a byproduct of it. I respect the talent, but not the player. LeBron's interviews are so self serving and pompous. Normally, as guys age they get more humble. LeBron rarely gives his teammates any credit. Listen to his interviews. It's all I's and Me's.
You know who he sounds like from another sport, Aaron Rodgers.
hate on Lebron all you want...Kareem set the scoring mark in 1,560 games...Lebron did it in 1,409 games.

It really is hard to compare records/milestones over different generations, especially with significant rules changes. Kareem played many seasons without a 3 point line which did clog up the lane but on the flip side he did have the benefit of 3 to make 2 foul shooting for some time. I think in the long run it may be a wash but regardless it is a great milestone and Ohio can claim Lebron as one of their own

Between the points and the assists LBJ is certainly the most productive offensive player of all time. Congrats to him! As naturally gifted as anyone that ever played, but he also works very hard to remain great for so long.

It really is hard to compare records/milestones over different generations, especially with significant rules changes. Kareem played many seasons without a 3 point line which did clog up the lane but on the flip side he did have the benefit of 3 to make 2 foul shooting for some time. I think in the long run it may be a wash but regardless it is a great milestone and Ohio can claim Lebron as one of their own
One thing I don’t want to hear about is defense, because Kareem enjoyed most of his career where only token defense was played.

My remembrance of Kareem's career were in his final years, when he was the old man dragging himself up and down the court, so it always seemed to me like Kareem hung in there way longer than he should have, partially so he could break the scoring record. Kind of like Emmitt Smith's final years in the league, doing just enough to break Payton's rushing record.

It's funny, nobody seems to be upset that LeBron broke Kareem's record, per se. It's only the talk about LeBron vs. Jordan (or any other NBA great) that gets people riled up.

My remembrance of Kareem's career were in his final years, when he was the old man dragging himself up and down the court, so it always seemed to me like Kareem hung in there way longer than he should have, partially so he could break the scoring record. Kind of like Emmitt Smith's final years in the league, doing just enough to break Payton's rushing record.

It's funny, nobody seems to be upset that LeBron broke Kareem's record, per se. It's only the talk about LeBron vs. Jordan (or any other NBA great) that gets people riled up.

Love the Airplane reference. Roger Murdock. I'm co-pilot Roger Murdock. Kareem did have a sense of humor at one point in his life.

Like a previous poster eluded to, I only saw Kareem in his later days, but he was still a key cog of those Laker title teams of the early 80's. Jabbar probably played longer than he should have because most players did then due to the salary structure.

Between the points and the assists LBJ is certainly the most productive offensive player of all time. Congrats to him! As naturally gifted as anyone that ever played, but he also works very hard to remain great for so long.
I think this is the fairest/bestest way to look at Lebron.

As a longtime (and perhaps, the first...on Yappi) Lebron hater...

On the plus side...

1. Longevity...immense credit to him for taking care of himself.
2. Free of public scandal.
3. Devoted family man.
4. Frugal ;)
5. Exceptional individual talent...I'd put him at #3 behind Magic (1) and Jordan (1A).
6. Three NBA titles.

Down side...

1. Is he the cause or just an outgrowth of basketball no longer being a fun game to watch? In particular, the dribbling out of the 24 second clock to the point that it's a 2 man offensive game (him and whoever he may pass to in the last 5 seconds).
2. A non-endearing personality.
3. A coach killer. Over the years, watching a coach attempt to maintain his interest in designing a play late in a big game...I think David Blatt was the happiest guy in America when the Cavs fired him.
4. Despite being a very good passer, he is not a good team player...on the floor. On a Lebron team, the five man offensive game (pass, cut away, picks, multiple passes) doesn't exist.
5. Through active (and more frequently, passive-aggressive) maneuvers, "controlled" to a significant extent the acquisition of talent around him...usually opting for one-dimensional perimiter players (in that 2 man game)...didn't want/need teammates who had offensive skills around the basket...clogged things up for him.
6. His unwillingness to play with his back to the basket. He scored a ton, but, in big, playoff games, more of that would have meant more wins, more titles.

Overall, he's a modern day Wilt Chamberlain...an epic individual player, but an underachiever where it counts most.

Last edited:
Crazy evening of NBA trade activity and the West is an entirely new looking conference, last week Denver was looking like the chalk and a tough team to match up with now who knows. Harden, Durant, and Irving were on the court a total of 16 games together, I would say that three headed monster didn't work out too well.

Man, if I was a Nets fan, I’d be pissed. Sitting 3rd in the East and they just blew up the team. Unbelievable
Oh well, they knew what they were getting into with malcontents like Irving, Harden and to a lesser extent Durant.

That group was never going to win it all.

So I haven't looked it up, but is the Nets GM that assembled this talented freak show the same one who blew it up?

If so, the owner should can him when the dust settles.

I wouldn't want him around to screw up all of those first round picks they acquired.

So I haven't looked it up, but is the Nets GM that assembled this talented freak show the same one who blew it up?

I wouldn't want him around to screw up all of those first round picks they acquired.
Went and looked it up - Sean Marks has been their GM since 2016, so yeah, same guy.

The Nets haven't had a high draft pick since Marks has been in charge (or since they've been in Brooklyn for that matter) so there's no precedent to say that he won't draft well.

I'm sure they're disappointed that they closed their championship window a bit prematurely, but with Kyrie forcing his way out, this was the most opportune time to move Durant.

In theory they could've gotten a bigger return but I think they have to be happy with the combination of players and picks they did get.

A lot, I mean a lot of pieces parts type moves are being done today. Seems like every contender outside of the Cavs are involved in a trade.

trades happening left and right...not saying the Cavs HAVE to make a deal...but I always feel a little disappointed when my team doesn't get involved.

I don't want them to make a move just because everyone is. It needs to make some sense.
Agree. Wish there was a way to get OG Anunoby on the cheap but it appears the Raptors are holding out for only a great deal and will hold on to him unless they are knocked over though there are rumors that the Warriors are using Andrew Wiggins as bait with the Canadian born and raised angle as a selling point. Hope that Okoro's nice play since the calendar flipped to 2023 continues and he doesn't choke away as he looks to be the 3 for the balance of this season.

The NBA player movement is becoming a joke. The regular season is becoming less and less relevant, teams just gather resources and put together all star teams for the playoffs. Kind of hollow isn't it? Add to that the insistence of players taking games off during the season. Big issue for the league trying to sell the product.

Wonder if the NBAPA would consider just cancelling all contracts and going to one year deals? I mean these guys want the security of a long term deal, and the flexibility to leave whenever they want?

The NBA player movement is becoming a joke. The regular season is becoming less and less relevant, teams just gather resources and put together all star teams for the playoffs. Kind of hollow isn't it? Add to that the insistence of players taking games off during the season. Big issue for the league trying to sell the product.
I mean, doesn’t this also happen in the NHL and MLB?

Building a more ‘ideal’ trade season, that reasonably reduces the number of players getting moved, probably begins with the Association not letting franchises sell-off their draft picks 6-7 years into the future like they are financial securities.