Federal League 2022-23

Green was 14 of 20 from the free throw line last night, which is unusually high. Senior Ben Pine had two of the best plays of the year for Green in what could be his final home game- taking a charge when McKinley had a fast break that nullified a bucket that would have tied the game early in the fourth quarter, and fouling the Pups with 8.7 seconds left to put them on the line for 2 shots instead of letting them attempt a game-tying three. And we can't forget sixth man Nicola Bundalo, because McKinley's big guys sure won't! The sophomore put up 22 points! had at least five offensive boards in the second half that gave Green more shots, drained five out of six foul shots, and hit a jumper at the buzzer to end the third.

I don't know if Green can beat GlenOak next Friday, and the Eagles should be favored, but last night was a terrific win. Green is playing far better than seemed possible in mid-December, when the Dawgs sat at 0-2 in the league and I really thought Green was heading for a last-place finish. Couldn't be more proud of our players or our coaches.
Its been a surprise season for me as well. Kinsley gets the most out of his players year after year.

Landon Roth led the scoring for Lake last night...Chance only had 10 points. Landon was hurt in the first McKinley game if I have my facts right...with him back does this make Lake a more dangerous team in the tourney?

The coaches voting is in for the D1 NEO-East District. All the Federal League teams are here.
Here's the top seeds and the rest of the Fed/Stark County schools:
1. Stow (15-2)
2. St Vincent St Mary (13-5)
3. Nordonia (13-2)
4. Hoban (14-2)
5. Mentor (12-4)
6. Green (13-4)
7. Glen Oak (15-4)
8. Walsh (11-5)
9. Jackson (12-5)
10. Louisville (14-3)
13. McKinley (9-7)
18. Lake (9-9)
23. Massillon (9-8)
24. Hoover (6-11)
34. Perry (2-14)

Brackets will be posted tomorrow.

Last edited:
The coaches voting is in for the D1 NEO-East District. All the Federal League teams are here.
1. Stow (15-2)
2. St Vincent St Marty (13-5)
3. Nordonia (13-2)
4. Hoban (14-2)
5. Mentor (12-4)
6. Green (13-4)
7. Glen Oak (15-4)
8. Walsh (11-5)
9. Jackson (12-5)
10. Louisville (14-3)
13. McKinley (9-7)
18. Lake (9-9)
23. Massillon (9-8)
24. Hoover (6-11)
34. Perry (2-14)

Any one of the top 10 seeds could easily end up winning their district. Unlike the last two seasons, the East Cleveland-area teams don't appear to be very strong. Do you think we'll see any FED schools deciding to go to Euclid in order to avoid the Akron teams?

Any one of the top 10 seeds could easily end up winning their district. Unlike the last two seasons, the East Cleveland-area teams don't appear to be very strong. Do you think we'll see any FED schools deciding to go to Euclid in order to avoid the Akron teams?
I'd say #12 Brush and #13 McKinley also have a shot to win districts given the right matchups.
Brush has had one of the toughest schedules in the state and McKinley has proven they can play tough against anyone. It depends upon which McKinley team shows up.

I don't think any of the top Fed teams need to avoid the Akron teams.
The 3 Akron private schools are pretty close overall with Walsh beating St V by 8 and losing to Hoban by 3. St V beat Hoban by 5.
Green beat Walsh by 12 and Glen Oak beat Hoban by 1.

1. Stow (15-2)
2. St Vincent St Marty (13-5)
3. Nordonia (13-2)
4. Hoban (14-2)
5. Mentor (12-4)
6. Green (13-4)
7. Glen Oak (15-4)
8. Walsh (11-5)
9. Jackson (12-5)
10. Louisville (14-3)
13. McKinley (9-7)
18. Lake (9-9)
23. Massillon (9-8)
24. Hoover (6-11)
34. Perry (2-14)

Interested to see the voting. In my opinion Louisville doesn’t deserve the 10 seed.

This weeks schedule
2/7

Green @ Hoban
Perry @ Alliance
Hoover @ Walsh Jesuit
Louisville @ Lake

2/10
Jackson @ McKinley
Green @ GlenOak
Hoover @ Perry
Lake @ Central Catholic

2/11
McKinley @ Thomas Worthington
Massillon @ GlenOak

1675627664466.png

Wow Green gets a bye then Warren Harding that just beat McK then right to Jackson. What a tough draw but I guess you have to wins games anyway against these teams to advance just seems like a tough early draw.

Wow Green gets a bye then Warren Harding that just beat McK then right to Jackson. What a tough draw but I guess you have to wins games anyway against these teams to advance just seems like a tough early draw.
I don't think it's too bad. Green has already beaten Harding and Jackson, and could have beaten Stow too. It tells me Kinsley would rather face opponents he's more familiar with.

It sounds like coaches feared some other teams more than they did Nordonia.
How can that be when they are in the mighty Suburban League National, which I was told is far superior to the lowly Federal League.

Shouldn't Mentor Glen Oak and Hoban have been smart enough to avoid playing in the same district as a team from such a storied conference? Have they forgotten the lessons learned by the opponents of the 1974 Manchester Panthers, the last Suburban League team to make it to states?