Price of EGGS, WTH is going on

bigkat

just went in to the local iga store and i saw the price for 18 eggs at $9.99 and a dozen at $6.98...

1673578941543.png

Meijer has been raising the value of my monthly coupons also. Good on them. IF I buy something, there's a reasonable chance that item shows up in my next coupon package. Then also sometimes at the check out will print a $1 off something I buy and $3 off the total. Hasn't kept my total bill from climbing but has put a dent in it.

With the coupon, those eggs are pretty much the normal price for me, at least one dozen a month. Occasionally, they'll send me two packages a month. They send me a couple that are 50% off. Stupidly I wasn't noticing so I was waiting to get a red tag 40% off my bag of mixed salad then using the coupon to get my 50 CENTS off. Dope.

just went in to the local iga store and i saw the price for 18 eggs at $9.99 and a dozen at $6.98...
I drove out your way Friday on my hunt for eggs. I found some at Crystal Lake in Warsaw Indiana . When I ask why eggs are in such short supply no one seems to really know. I purchase wholesale eggs and they are up 400% from two years ago. Get ready for puddings, noodles, cakes etc to all take another hike up.

Wanted to stop at that MVP dairy and see their cows but didn't have time.
We were noticing a local deli near us has Turkey for 12.99 lb.

I'm not going to brush everyone with a broad brush, but we seem to not have the ability to say no anymore. If eggs were above $6 a dozen, I'M NOT BUYING THEM!!! I can't think of many diets that require eggs? I bet if everyone who eats eggs regularly cut back a dozen a week, the supply would increase and the price would drop.
You wonder if there is some "shortages" of items just to drive the price up? I mean many people just pay whatever for groceries and don't ever consider not buying certain items.

I'm not going to brush everyone with a broad brush, but we seem to not have the ability to say no anymore. If eggs were above $6 a dozen, I'M NOT BUYING THEM!!! I can't think of many diets that require eggs? I bet if everyone who eats eggs regularly cut back a dozen a week, the supply would increase and the price would drop.
You wonder if there is some "shortages" of items just to drive the price up? I mean many people just pay whatever for groceries and don't ever consider not buying certain items.
Are you a tax payer? If so then you are buying them. The government does not care how high eggs go, they will by them to feed those who do not work, so you are still buying them.

Buy local...$2.00 dozen.
I'm sure you can find that occasional person who has lost touch with the egg market and does not calculate their true expenses and sells eggs for $2.00/ dozen. Currently eggs at the large efficient farms cost about $.80 in feed to produce. The pullet you purchase at 8 weeks old, almost ready to lay is around $6 right now. So if after 2% mortality is averaged in, you get an average of 300 eggs over the lifetime of that $6 bird you get 25 dozen eggs, the cost of the bird per dozen eggs is about $.40. So you have $1.20 /doz in your feed and bird. Now factor in housing, lighting to keep them laying this time of year, labor for gathering, poop removal, marketing, washing, candling ( using light to look for blood inside of egg or cracks in shell). In the large poultry operations labor is a small percentage, but for a backyard farmer who spends 1/2 hr every day gathering and feeding 30 chickens to get 24 saleable eggs a day he needs to add $3.00 / dozen for labor @$12/hr.

So anything shy of $5/dozen for farm raised eggs and someone is getting a bad return on their labor.

My extended family was in the poultry industry for many years. We still buy large quantities of eggs for business ventures that require eggs. However, we usually found we could purchase surplus eggs from the breakers (businesses who buy farm surplus eggs, and break them open to make frozen, liquid or powder egg products) much cheaper than raising our own, even in an automated feed, water and gathering facility. For much of 2000-2019, surplus eggs already processed were selling for an equivalent of $.55/dozen. That was about 1/3 what our production cost were even with $2.50/bushel corn. With $7.00 corn today, and soy protein ridiculously high, pullet prices out of hand etc., surplus eggs last week were $2.25/dozen if you could find them. I scoured the midwest last week, and only found one location who had egg product available.

Talked to a Poultry farmer who's in our card group. Cooper wants him to put up new chicken house.

Cost will be $51.00 a bird. WHen he put up his first two (maybe 25 years ago)..cost was $5.70 a bird.

Just Remember...these poultry farmers are Still getting government subsidies. I'm sure they appreciate your tax money.

I've been going to all of the drugstores in town begging them to give me the Avian Flu vax, but they say there is none.....WAHHHHHHHHH
just make sure you don't go into a BAR after 10 pm and of course stay away from church.... and you can go to WAlmart but stay out of the locally owned family owned businesses... you do this you will be fine