Officiating

I can tell you are an outstanding Official by your knowledge.
We all have our strengths and weaknesses
I’m also telling you younger kids would rather wear head set In there room gaming with buddies than hanging out in person.
There is a lot of truth and a lot of other problems for our country in that statement.

so we are flawed off the bat talking about hanging out with friends.
That's one of my motivations. I would never suggest to anyone that they should be willing to take less money.

In my area those folks are the ones screaming. “Don’t do it for the money”. “ I do this to hang with buddies”. “Id do this stuff for free” when rates get discussed.
It’s a huge issue considering the NFHS is promoting making money to get younger guys.
First, they wouldn't do it for free.

Next, blaming "anyone over 55" for the country's officiating woes because of a small group of outliers is just plain silly.

Finally, blaming the "good old boys" is a cop out. How about making one's self better to the point that politics isn't an issue?

At the end of the day I have yet to witness one truly top notch official that hasn't gotten their chance.

I’m also an independent contractor. At no point will I work for the Varisty rates as they are. I have in the past, then Realized I’d be an idiot to keep doing it.

I make 4-500 a week through football season working peewee and sub Varisty. We act like schools can’t pay officials while non-profit peewee teams and leagues are paying 100-200 dollars for max 4 hours work.

Anyone 55 an older is a huge part of the officiating problem across the country.
How much do pee-wee teams charge to play? In baseball we won't take anything less than 25% above the HS rates for equivalent 'summer' tournaments. They can charge $2000 for teams to play, gate fees, cooler fees, and get hotel profit kickbacks and certainly pay more.

HS cannot do this. Now, they certainly CAN raise revenue and find creative or alternative ways to do so - but many won't which is a separate issue.

Where a person lives is irrelevant.

If they possess a license, they are eligible to work. This would be no different than an assigner hiring a crew from Columbus or Cincinnati to work a MAC game.

Please do not interpret this as a claim that at times politics does not play a part. It happens in every aspect of life. That said, sometimes, the problem is in the mirror.

For many, that's tough to admit.
I'd argue in the past 26 years the politics has actually been less of an issue. Most of that is due to the fact there are not enough officials for anyone to be sitting at home and not working, so you get more experience more quickly, and are thus exposed to more opportunities. This leads to more votes and better ratings, and more assignors knowing they have good talent - and that extends into the postseason. The pools of postseason in many sports have changed greatly and more are getting a chance to go.

OHSAA or whoever is in charge of recruiting (not too familiar with this) should be sending information/recruitment flyers to High Schools to pass to their senior athletes. Most of the athletes aren't moving on to play at the next level but may still want to be involved somehow. I don't recall anyone ever asking me to think about becoming an official while still HS/college aged. Granted this was 30+ years ago, but I and probably some of my teammates would have at least listened. I wasn't approached about officiating until I was in my 30's and working tables at wrestling meets/tournaments, but by then I was already attached to a school as a volunteer and didn't really have the time.

Also, I'm sure some schools would let an official or representative come into the school for a 30 min to hour long sell and Q&A session for interested students. I worked for the YMCA and many times I asked and was permitted time / space for similar talks about volunteering and other teen programs. May get a bunch of kids who just want out of class, but if you can get a couple of solid commits, I think it'd be worth the time.
see my above posts on the deflection of responsibility here.

Precisely......

The "non revenue" sport BS is just that.... BS
Fully agree. We asked ADs this year why they don't charge for Baseball and Softball, especially with all the ticketing being online - and the fact they already do for post-season (albeit a smaller sample). And their response was a mix of "Well we have not for years so why would we now?" and "It's too much effort and by the spring I am wiped out from long days."

So in other words, business as usual.

We do have one conference who charges for these sports but has few schools with football. So, the understanding and expectation from the community is this gate fee is necessary, but they rarely have a shortage of funds.

Fully agree. We asked ADs this year why they don't charge for Baseball and Softball, especially with all the ticketing being online - and the fact they already do for post-season (albeit a smaller sample). And their response was a mix of "Well we have not for years so why would we now?" and "It's too much effort and by the spring I am wiped out from long days."

We do have one conference who charges for these sports but has few schools with football. So, the understanding and expectation from the community is this gate fee is necessary, but they rarely have a shortage of funds.
I know my HS just within the last 2-3 years has fenced off all access to the Softball/Baseball fields where people either have to enter the one gate provided or go way out of their way to find their way around. There is also the possibility of watching baseball from beyond the outfield fence for free.

Many schools play on baseball or softball complexes that are not set up with fencing to properly charge all comers. These are also sports that generally lack for attendance when they are free. Expecting schools to charge for such sports sounds easy until you have to field the calls from angry parents about why their 80-year old parents have to pay to watch a couple innings in terrible weather.

Could schools charge more or more often? Sure, but they often hesitate to do so because it’s bad PR.

Schools don't necessarily have to sell more tickets to get more revenue for the athletic department.

School boards and booster clubs.

Smarter choices on buying from vendors.

Many schools play on baseball or softball complexes that are not set up with fencing to properly charge all comers. These are also sports that generally lack for attendance when they are free. Expecting schools to charge for such sports sounds easy until you have to field the calls from angry parents about why their 80-year old parents have to pay to watch a couple innings in terrible weather.

Could schools charge more or more often? Sure, but they often hesitate to do so because it’s bad PR.
I wish tickets were cheaper and that students get in for free.

In terms of officials “sitting at home” while other crews/worse crews/whatever work…then you don’t have a shortage in your area. If officials want to work varsity games, but every varsity game is covered, you’re good! I get that maybe you won’t be in the future, but you’re alright now.

most places aren’t alright right now. They cannot cover ever varsity game on a Friday and games are moved to Thursday/Saturday to accommodate

The fence issue is valid but not as much an issue as you think. If it's done in post-season, it can be done in the regular season. And, unless something has changed, the ability to lock off an area is not a requirement for post-season hosting.

The same 80 year old fans sit at soccer, football, etc outdoors. Because baseball can't continue in inclement weather is the nature of the beast.

I know my HS just within the last 2-3 years has fenced off all access to the Softball/Baseball fields where people either have to enter the one gate provided or go way out of their way to find their way around. There is also the possibility of watching baseball from beyond the outfield fence for free.
Can watch Football this way too at many place. The issue is ubiquitous in this case.

The more pertinent issue is facilities located a non-district owned property where the owner of said site's rules are more of an issue (i.e. city parks, private facilities, off-site football stadiums owned by cities, etc.)

You simply get the offical costs from the tax revenue. Doesn’t cost anyone but the taxpayers a dime.

like we are debating rates in the sport that generates the most revenue. While basketball actually costs the most to pay officials and no one bats an eye.

By that logic all school employees, vendors, etc. should all get paid more. I mean, it’s only the taxpayers that foot the bill, right?
Yes, it’s on the Unions etc to go get it.
I mean if these small schools can foot 900k turf installation bills, build multimillion dollar facilities that don’t get 5% the worth out of them…. Raise the rates.

99% were paid by check, and yes, any school/club that I made over $600 from in that year was reported in taxes.
Making over $600 from a school has nothing to do with whether or not you are required to report it in your income. That’s simply the threshold at which the school has to give you a 1099.

Yes, it’s on the Unions etc to go get it.
I mean if these small schools can foot 900k turf installation bills, build multimillion dollar facilities that don’t get 5% the worth out of them…. Raise the rates.
I don't know of any small schools in my area that have a 900k football field or a multimillion facility.

How much do pee-wee teams charge to play? In baseball we won't take anything less than 25% above the HS rates for equivalent 'summer' tournaments. They can charge $2000 for teams to play, gate fees, cooler fees, and get hotel profit kickbacks and certainly pay more.

HS cannot do this. Now, they certainly CAN raise revenue and find creative or alternative ways to do so - but many won't which is a separate issue.
why should they when they shouldn't be in the entertainment business as minor leagues for NFL in the first place?