Will Marvin Harrison Jr's targeting call being overturned cause more players to opt out?

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Clear targeting call overturned by an inept review referee. Will this cause more players to opt out of playoff games. On the biggest stage of college football, the system rewarded an illegal play which changed the direction of the game at the expense of the health of the player. What is the point of playing in meaningless college games when so much future money is at stake? The college bowl games may end up looking like the Senior Bowl games where it is the borderline players play and the real stars are getting ready to sign their NFL contracts.

Clear targeting call overturned by an inept review referee. Will this cause more players to opt out of playoff games. On the biggest stage of college football, the system rewarded an illegal play which changed the direction of the game at the expense of the health of the player. What is the point of playing in meaningless college games when so much future money is at stake? The college bowl games may end up looking like the Senior Bowl games where it is the borderline players play and the real stars are getting ready to sign their NFL contracts.
Well it wasn't clear targeting. And no, players won't sit out of the Playoff games unless they're actually injured. It's more likely you'll see a player sit out a full season instead of putting themselves at risk before you see someone play an entire season and remove themselves from Playoff games.

Well it wasn't clear targeting. And no, players won't sit out of the Playoff games unless they're actually injured. It's more likely you'll see a player sit out a full season instead of putting themselves at risk before you see someone play an entire season and remove themselves from Playoff games.
This is what I was going to post. There is more danger Harrison will just sit out the season. He has the means, as his dad has plenty of money. He has the pedigree. He’s proven his skills on plenty of tape. He could just do a JSN knowing he’s going top ten whether he plays at OSU in 2023 or not.

This is what I was going to post. There is more danger Harrison will just sit out the season. He has the means, as his dad has plenty of money. He has the pedigree. He’s proven his skills on plenty of tape. He could just do a JSN knowing he’s going top ten whether he plays at OSU in 2023 or not.
I agree with this. JSN opted out and had nothing to do with targeting, after all most of these players would rather get their bell rung than have a blown-out knee. However, I could see MH and others opting out for an entire year instead of risking injury.

I agree with this. JSN opted out and had nothing to do with targeting, after all most of these players would rather get their bell rung than have a blown-out knee. However, I could see MH and others opting out for an entire year instead of risking injury.
And if that starts happening there will be a push to scale back, or eliminate, the three seasons removed from HS rule for NFL draft eligibility. Then you’ll have what you have in college hoops…which now blows as a product, except for March Madness…with the one and dones.

No.

The NFL helped create this monster. If I was 20 and an NFL scout said you’re getting drafted no matter what next year, I’d really have to think about it. You’re young and have loyalty to your teammates, but almost guaranteed millions would certainly get in your head. Even if it was called the other way, players like him still would have to think about playing in future games or not. Great discussion to bring up.

It was called targeting in real time on the field. If it wasn't clear then it shouldn't be overturned. That's how replay works, or well, is supposed to work.

It was called targeting in real time on the field. If it wasn't clear then it shouldn't be overturned. That's how replay works, or well, is supposed to work.
Lol really, a week later.

No, that isn't how it works. The referees on the field are going to error on the side of caution based on what they see on the field. Many times hits in real time look much worse than they actually are in reply, which is why they automatically review the play to see if in fact it was targeting. In a targeting review, they're looking for the indicators - leading with the crown, forcible contact to the head/neck area, etc. but they're looking to confirm the targeting called on the field, unlike a review of a catch or spot where if it isn't clear, the play stands as called.

Lol really, a week later.

No, that isn't how it works. The referees on the field are going to error on the side of caution based on what they see on the field. Many times hits in real time look much worse than they actually are in reply, which is why they automatically review the play to see if in fact it was targeting. In a targeting review, they're looking for the indicators - leading with the crown, forcible contact to the head/neck area, etc. but they're looking to confirm the targeting called on the field, unlike a review of a catch or spot where if it isn't clear, the play stands as called.
The rule for targeting is that if it is question, it is a foul. It was and still is in question.

I don’t have alerts when you post, you aren’t that special. I read this pretty lackadaisically since it’s 80% OSU trolls and not a source of any useful information.

I don't think dudes will sit out CFP games. And if the revenue structure changes, and the bowls start splitting that revenue evenly amongst participating team players, as opposed to handing that bag to the school, you might see more big names play in more meaningless bowls. But the high-end elite players will likely still weigh the option/risk of sitting regardless of pay to play.

I don't think dudes will sit out CFP games. And if the revenue structure changes, and the bowls start splitting that revenue evenly amongst participating team players, as opposed to handing that bag to the school, you might see more big names play in more meaningless bowls. But the high-end elite players will likely still weigh the option/risk of sitting regardless of pay to play.
Interesting thought. Or, paying directly to the players based upon their game draw potential. Kind of like certain pga players getting money just to play in certain events.

He doesn’t really need Dads money, certainly he has an NIL Deal of some sort? Sitting out a full season could void some or all the NIL deal? Then he may need some of Dads money depending on how much he already made off his NIL deal? Definitely a first rounder whenever that time comes!

And if that starts happening there will be a push to scale back, or eliminate, the three seasons removed from HS rule for NFL draft eligibility. Then you’ll have what you have in college hoops…which now blows as a product, except for March Madness…with the one and dones.
The NFL and NFLPA won't budge on the three years removed from HS rule. It's not the NCAA making the call on that

Except JSN was actually hurt. There's a huge difference between being a b**** and sitting out all year and hurting yourself, coming back TWICE, tweaking the injury both times, then shutting it down.

Wasn't targeting. He hit him in the shoulder with his shoulder.

I guess we know where you come down on the call. To me it's not targeting. I'm not sure why Buckeye fans are crying that it's "clearly" targeting. Obviously it's not because it was overturned. The shoulder pad was used. Targeting is using the crown of the helmet and lunging at a defenseless player. That did not happen here.
And before you say it's a conspiracy....the networks would have much more to gain with Ohio State winning it all than Georgia.

At some point the "opt out" thing goes directly against everything sports is all about. These are supposed "uber" competitive people who play a team game. How a guy who is physically able to play, not play is beyond me.
Jackson Smith-Njigba, God bless the kid but he will someday regret that he sat out this past season.

WHERE was targeting in evidence? When the little DB, Javon Bullard, from eighteen miles down the road from me in little Milledgeville. Hit Harrison with his SHOULDER PAD, AFTER he had dropped the ball? Harrison was injured after he had hit the ground.

Look at the bright side. At least the Buckaneers DIDN'T hafta play UGA at full strength. Their all world, first round draft pick edge rusher, Nolan Smith, was out since midseason with a Labrum tear. And Ladd McConkey, Brock Bowers, another first round draft pick, Jalen Carter, and Darnell Washington, were sick that week with the flu. And all played severely dehydrated. Not to mention the hero of the 2021 natty, was coming off a ten week injury, and hadn't practiced. Not to mention the WR who torched your DB, Arian Smith, was playing his first game since early season. But they sucked it up, and persevered.

But you WOULD have won the game anyhow, if you had had a good FG kicker. But in your defense, our pro prospect, Jack Podlesny, missed TWO shorter than your guy from North Carolina.