2022 Mark Zimmer Memorial Classic at DeSales Results

Personally I’m looking forward to Coffman/Liberty Bringing home a team title in D1 and Watterson/ DeSales bringing home a team title in D2 to central Ohio! Seeing graham and NE Ohio teams on top of the state board is getting old ! Hopefully those awesome coaches between those four schools can bring home a state championship in the next few years!
I think we can bring one home for the girls in central Ohio too!

Lol, not sure what you’re saying…but in 5 of the 7 they were the highest finishing Central Ohio team and still have the most points ever for a Central Ohio D1 team, 122. But hey thanks for asking, knew I forgot to add something to my original post…
The last two years they weren't. And I think Coffman has beaten Liberty in 3 duals the past two years. I'm not a Coffman person either, just a wrestling fan.

Don't worry I think Liberty beats Coffman this year, they lost too much from last year and Liberty has some outstanding wrestlers.

People getting all butthurt over the Desales classic on December 3rd is silly. I promise the kids do not care about your feelings. FYI Desales holds Central Ohio's best finish in Ohsaa state in D2, Liberty holds best finish in central ohio in D1, who is it in D3? my guess is Ready or Licking heights (which was aaa back when heights won) These kids got way more important fish to fry next week. This is the way

another fun fact Marinelli holds D1 and D2

Not true. Olentangy Liberty was 3rd in 2016 and 2017, Dublin Coffman was 3rd in 2022. I hate seeing two Olentangy Liberty coaches get on Yappi and brag about their program, people know you guys are good. Liberty might have scored more points at the state than Coffman, but both have top three finishes. Heck Coffman was also 4th in 2021 and has won straight district titles , something that has never been done in D1 in central Ohio. I don't see Coffman coaches on here bragging.

Dublin Coffman was the top team the last four years, and now on paper it looks like Olentangy Liberty will be back as the top central Ohio D1 team.

I'm not the one that asked why those guys weren't there and frankly could care less. Don't have a dog in the fight as a Coach or a Wrestlers Dad.

My thought was this is Mark's Alma Mater and this was the 1st Year the Stallion Classic was renamed the Mark Zimmer Memorial Tournament.
Bring your best guys. Ya Think? You understand my point regardless of the points.
nice! thank you for correcting me, forgot about the old school stallions, for some reason i was thinking marks was the highest team total in points.

Not true. Olentangy Liberty was 3rd in 2016 and 2017, Dublin Coffman was 3rd in 2022. I hate seeing two Olentangy Liberty coaches get on Yappi and brag about their program, people know you guys are good. Liberty might have scored more points at the state than Coffman, but both have top three finishes. Heck Coffman was also 4th in 2021 and has won straight district titles , something that has never been done in D1 in central Ohio. I don't see Coffman coaches on here bragging.

Dublin Coffman was the top team the last four years, and now on paper it looks like Olentangy Liberty will be back as the top central Ohio D1 team.
go look olib has the most points and tied with the highest finish d1 in central ohio. over 120 points it was a state record 3 teams over 120 d1. coffman didnt break 100 although they did have a major injury that year in district finals.

dont get your panties all twisted up nobody cares, Just like throwing stuff out there so you guys cry about it.

I'm not the one that asked why those guys weren't there and frankly could care less. Don't have a dog in the fight as a Coach or a Wrestlers Dad.

My thought was this is Mark's Alma Mater and this was the 1st Year the Stallion Classic was renamed the Mark Zimmer Memorial Tournament.
Bring your best guys. Ya Think? You understand my point regardless of the points.
So you could or couldnt care less, just asking for clarification. Cuz it Seems like you care bro.

coffman is still a heck of a team, while we are on the subject, look at these teams and look at the clubs feeding them. off season wrestling is producing some great product in central ohio, we as a whole has been behind the northern part of the state for a long time, marysville has had some solid years too. These kids are putting in work! Desales, Coffman, Olib watterson another one.

Was he the coach when DeSales had the best DII finish in Central Ohio...
good question i dont have all the numbers in front of me but im thinking once they went to 8 placers marks team has the most points even with his runner up finish. still cant take away the titles from the old stallions.

People getting all butthurt over the Desales classic on December 3rd is silly. I promise the kids do not care about your feelings. FYI Desales holds Central Ohio's best finish in Ohsaa state in D2, Liberty holds best finish in central ohio in D1, who is it in D3? my guess is Ready or Licking heights (which was aaa back when heights won) These kids got way more important fish to fry next week. This is the way

another fun fact Marinelli holds D1 and D2
Licking heights has 3 state team titles in D3
DeSales has 3 as well in D2
I don’t believe a central team has ever placed higher than 3rd in D1

Ready has 2 team titles in D3 as well and I think that rounds out the central district team title discussion.

The last two years they weren't. And I think Coffman has beaten Liberty in 3 duals the past two years. I'm not a Coffman person either, just a wrestling fan.

Don't worry I think Liberty beats Coffman this year, they lost too much from last year and Liberty has some outstanding wrestlers.
Like I said 5 of the 7. I said they lost to 4 teams, not 4 times, reading makes a difference. And I’m good friends with some of Coffman’s coaches, as well as other schools…the problem 99% of the time are the “fans” who come on here commenting with zero clue…

I never brought DC up and I also never said anything false. I never said they had the highest finish, I said they have the most points, which they do. I also said they had the highest finish 5 of the last 7 years, which they have. Last year and ‘21 it was DC, previous 5 is was OL. I didn’t come on here “bragging”, I defended Marinelli and Russo with facts, just the same as I would for any of the other 60 kids in the program and other coaches. Some keyboard tough guys feel like they can say anything.

Not sure if you actually understand the reasoning - you literally can only wrestle so many 'points' in a season. Sitting out for this tournament was likely to keep the wrestler(s) mentioned within that total from this point forward. The reasoning for picking the specific tournament is really no one's business but those within that team.
Total . Check your math again.

I have always thought that teams misinterpret the scheduling rule (see below):

1.11) Team Regular Season Contest Limitation (9th-12th grades) A high school team may compete in a maximum of 20 points. There is no requirement for points to be allotted to tournament or non-tournament events.

1.12) Individual Contest Requirements An individual wrestler may participate in a maximum number of contests totaling 20 points. Any wrestler who exceeds the 20 point limitation is ineligible for further regular season or any OHSAA tournament competition. A wrestler may accrue his/her points from any schedule or level of competition.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rule 1.11 says a TEAM can't compete in more than 20 points. That means a schools Varsity, Varsity B, JV, JV B, Freshman, etc can all have 20 points on the schedule for their level.

Rule 1.12 says an individual can only have 20 points regardless of the level (wrestle some varsity, some JV).

There is nothing that says a Varsity schedule can have over 20 points scheduled as long as none of the individuals don't go over 20 points.

Holding someone out of an event to save points for another event that goes beyond 20 points on the varsity schedule really isn't allowed the way the rules are written. I would love to hear what OHSAA says about this topic. Maybe they have ruled on it and I've never seen it but if they have, they should change the wording of their own rules to show that.

I always thought the varsity a team has a limit of 20 points to use more, you had to have enough kids rostered to make a b schedule.

Id say that stat makes it appear that liberty would be considered “the team” (in central ohio of course) historically based on the sample size of 7 years. Im certainly not a scientist but i do have a baseline understanding of how to interpret data.
Strange flex to brand yourself "THE TEAM" in Central Ohio when OL has won just 1 District title in that same 7 year time period.

Can we stop with the "we are the team and you aren't" argument?

It goes in cycles.

Liberty was the dominant team for a few years, Coffman has been recently, before them it was someone else, and before them it was another team and soon it may be yet another team. Can't we all just say they have all been great and appreciate their body of work without having to downplay other teams?

Can we stop with the "we are the team and you aren't" argument?

It goes in cycles.

Liberty was the dominant team for a few years, Coffman has been recently, before them it was someone else, and before them it was another team and soon it may be yet another team. Can't we all just say they have all been great and appreciate their body of work without having to downplay other teams?
Agreed 100%. It's just nice to see Central Ohio teams even in the conversation.

Coffman has won 3 district titles in a row. They have a great program. My kid happens to go to Liberty, but he is good friends with many of the Coffman boys. I consider their coaches to be personal friends of mine. I hope they continue to have great success. Same with Watterson and DeSales, and a lot of others. These kids may compete for different schools, but they train together, they're on the same dual teams in the off season, they go to Fargo together, etc.

Central Ohio wrestling is better than ever. Hopefully it continues to grow.

Coffman has won 3 district titles in a row. They have a great program. My kid happens to go to Liberty, but he is good friends with many of the Coffman boys. I consider their coaches to be personal friends of mine. I hope they continue to have great success. Same with Watterson and DeSales, and a lot of others. These kids may compete for different schools, but they train together, they're on the same dual teams in the off season, they go to Fargo together, etc.

Central Ohio wrestling is better than ever. Hopefully it continues to grow.

I agree 100%, it's great to see programs building a foundation for sustainable success. Still a long way to go to close the gap with NE, but there are definitely great things happening in Columbus at all levels.

If I may offer a minor correction, DC won the last 4 district titles (22 ' DC, 21' DC, 20' DC, 19' DC, 18' Lancaster, 17' OLib, 16' Lancaster).

Last edited:
1670255401714.gif

This is great!!
Watching people argue over who has the best program now… then… or in the future.
Is it because these “dynasties” were built using years of hard work and dedication to the youth and jr high programs?
Or did the parents decide to go to a school so their boys could have good partners?
Asking for a friend.

View attachment 36925
This is great!!
Watching people argue over who has the best program now… then… or in the future.
Is it because these “dynasties” were built using years of hard work and dedication to the youth and jr high programs?
Or did the parents decide to go to a school so their boys could have good partners?
Asking for a friend.

I’m sure the answer to your question is both. Development at the Youth and JH levels are certainly part of the equation. Strong programs also tend to attract athletes that want to be part of something great.

honest question-- are the liberty coaches doing much of anything in the spring and summer to develop their kids? They may very well be but I havent heard of much. I know Beast Mode has a packed room with kids training hard. The beast mode group has people from all over really.. going to a room to get better no matter if that is your competition or not

if i have a whole bunch of kids go to miron to train hard then show up to me to start the season-- am i living on a title or development of talent? If my hs kids pass up going to my hs practice to go to miron practice- is that a program or a group of studs forming a line up?

If I may offer a minor correction, DC won the last 4 district titles (22 ' DC, 21' DC, 20' DC, 19' DC, 18' Lancaster, 17' OLib, 16' Lancaster).
your list is still wrong liberty won 16 and 17

but again the statement was about highest state placement originally

nobody is discrediting coffman at all, great group of kids