Northern Buckeye Conference 2021

Who wins the Northern Buckeye Conference?

• Total voters
Assistant Principal/Football Coach opening? Where have I seen that before? It's a short trip down 795...

Does Walbridge/Millbury/LeMoyne State Bank have a President who's a big sports fan?
definitely not as far as I know. I do believe there will some decent interest in the job. A school thats never won a playoff game, but typically has a pretty good amount of athletes. Great facilities, but not a ton of community support. Theres a lot of give and take but IMO, a school that can offer an up and comer a chance to start their program, or someone to come in with experience like Emans did and have success at the league level.

Regardless of who is hired, its going to be an uphill fight. The league will be incredibly difficult for a program trying to make their way. Ive heard a couple names being thrown around, one being an alumni of Lake and record setting QB, another is an assistant at Perrysburg who's wife works at Lake, and a pipe dream IMO but rumblings that the Sugar Ridge isnt so sweet out in Luckey anymore.

definitely not as far as I know. I do believe there will some decent interest in the job. A school thats never won a playoff game, but typically has a pretty good amount of athletes. Great facilities, but not a ton of community support. Theres a lot of give and take but IMO, a school that can offer an up and comer a chance to start their program, or someone to come in with experience like Emans did and have success at the league level.

Regardless of who is hired, its going to be an uphill fight. The league will be incredibly difficult for a program trying to make their way. Ive heard a couple names being thrown around, one being an alumni of Lake and record setting QB, another is an assistant at Perrysburg who's wife works at Lake, and a pipe dream IMO but rumblings that the Sugar Ridge isnt so sweet out in Luckey anymore.

I don't think JR is even a paid assistant right now, but if he took all of the former Lake assistants with him Rossford wouldn't have a staff left.

The facilities are excellent. Seems like they have the same issue as Rossford - being too close to Toledo to really develop kids as a group. Eventually, they find their own niche - be it a different travel team or specializing in one sport at the expense of the others. Next thing you know you've got kids moving to Perrysburg for wrestling or open enrolling somewhere else.

They've really ran into bad luck when they've had great teams, early 2000s they ran into some great Huron teams and the one 10-0 year where both Eastwood & Genoa were down they get knocked out round one. If I'm not mistaken 2001 Huron nearly beat eventual state champion Kenton

Who's the Perrysburg guy? Gary Allen? He was on staff at Lake at some point recently. Schober, who's now at Rossford as their OC and is Lake's head track and field coach would likely be interested.

But, I've heard the same rumblings from Eastwood about that scenario. His wife, also happens to be a fairly successful soccer coach and I believe Lake will need a women's head soccer coach next year as well if I understand that correctly.

Who's the Perrysburg guy? Gary Allen? He was on staff at Lake at some point recently. Schober, who's now at Rossford as their OC and is Lake's head track and field coach would likely be interested.

But, I've heard the same rumblings from Eastwood about that scenario. His wife, also happens to be a fairly successful soccer coach and I believe Lake will need a women's head soccer coach next year as well if I understand that correctly.

Lake has a great setup for soccer and Millbury and Walbridge have plenty of park space for a feeder program to supplement whatever the club teams crank out.

Not sure the weight room is up to Eastwood's standards, unless there's another one besides the one next to the gym.

One of the best stadiums in NW Ohio, IMO. You guys keep hinting at internal issues at Eastwood. If that outweighs the culture that's been built over the years re: hard-working kids who expect to win all the time, it must be serious.

They've really ran into bad luck when they've had great teams, early 2000s they ran into some great Huron teams and the one 10-0 year where both Eastwood & Genoa were down they get knocked out round one. If I'm not mistaken 2001 Huron nearly beat eventual state champion Kenton
51-45 Kenton. Best high school football game Ive ever seen. Robert Dence from Huron was just as good as Mauk. It was eye opening at the style of play each team employed. More passes were attempted that game than Lake attempted the whole season.

10-0 team was a complete matter of circumstance. The team the year before was IMO much better. But add in a down Archbold, Eastwood and Genoa and thats what ya get. Mind you I dont believe that 10-0 team gave up a point until league play. Was a very good team, but unfortunately only had 15 or 16 players that could considerably help them, and only played one playoff team in regular season, compared to Chippewa played 3 or 4 and were much better prepared to play, playoff football.

51-45 Kenton. Best high school football game Ive ever seen. Robert Dence from Huron was just as good as Mauk. It was eye opening at the style of play each team employed. More passes were attempted that game than Lake attempted the whole season.

10-0 team was a complete matter of circumstance. The team the year before was IMO much better. But add in a down Archbold, Eastwood and Genoa and thats what ya get. Mind you I dont believe that 10-0 team gave up a point until league play. Was a very good team, but unfortunately only had 15 or 16 players that could considerably help them, and only played one playoff team in regular season, compared to Chippewa played 3 or 4 and were much better prepared to play, playoff football.

I'm still salty about that Chippewa-Rossford game :mad:

It’s amazing to look back how awe inspired we were at teams that ran the “Spread” during that era. Elmwood also had a hell of a spread attack back then

Lake has a great setup for soccer and Millbury and Walbridge have plenty of park space for a feeder program to supplement whatever the club teams crank out.

Not sure the weight room is up to Eastwood's standards, unless there's another one besides the one next to the gym.

One of the best stadiums in NW Ohio, IMO. You guys keep hinting at internal issues at Eastwood. If that outweighs the culture that's been built over the years re: hard-working kids who expect to win all the time, it must be serious.

Something serious seems to be going on behind the scenes at Eastwood. Over the last 6 months they have had two board members (one being the president), the treasurer, and multiple head coaches resign.

I was at that game. One of the best HS games I ever saw. Robert Dence was amazing.

Final Week 10 Scores

Eastwood 42 Otsego 7 - Was not expecting such a large disparity here. Otsego has been able to keep it close with LC, Elmwood, and Genoa. Eastwood looked good, very good. Will have a relatively easy first round game with Fredericktown. But then will be in for a formidable opponent with the Oak Harbor/Genoa winner.

Elmwood 39 Rossford 15 - Wickard rolled. Williams from Rossford threw 4 interceptions. Rossford never had a chance. Elmwood has nice matchups to set themselves up to be playing in the regional semifinals. Will play Delta then the Highland/Tinora winner. Two favorable matchups.

Genoa 31 Woodmore 0 - Comets called off the dogs. They're in the playoffs with a winnable first round game and rematch with Oak Harbor. They beat OH earlier this year at Genoa. Will have to travel in week 11.

Fostoria 34 Lake 27 - Great way for Fostoria to end the year. What a mess of a year for Lake. Feel bad for the seniors there with the way it ended.

Eastwood wins their 4th league title in 7 years. Elmwood finishes 2nd and they will depart for the BVC. I expect the top 3 in the NBC next year to be Eastwood, Oak Harbor, and Genoa.

Last edited:
Biggest question coming out of the Elmwood/Rossford game is the health of the Oliver brothers.

The Royals played like they were trying to keep everyone healthy and fresh for the post-season, but then kept putting Mason Oliver back in the game. That seemed odd to me. Up two scores most of the the game, why not hold him out unless you need him?

For Rossford, everyone should be good to go for Detroit Jesuit, OG and Mansfield Senior when basketball season starts.

Really going out on a limb here. Eastwood could make it to the regionals or could lose early. No .

As I explained earlier, Rossford had 2 extra possessions late in that game against Eastwood that resulted in 14 points. Otherwise that game is 51-27 and nobody is saying anything. The game was over at half anyway as it was 44-14.

Until some defense is able to stop Eastwood, they are the favorites until playing Coldwater or Liberty Center.
The watered down playoff field means the assumption is that the "really good" teams wont be faced until game 3. I dont expect Eastwood or ANY 1-2 seed to lose to a 3, or 4, or 5 loss team....which is who will be faced in rounds 1 and 2. As with most single dimension offenses, once they run up against a team they cant just line up and simply physically dominate, they are going to have problems. Their defense is suspect against competent offenses and they are going to see teams with better offenses than Rossford and Elmwood come the 3rd round.

The watered down playoff field means the assumption is that the "really good" teams wont be faced until game 3. I dont expect Eastwood or ANY 1-2 seed to lose to a 3, or 4, or 5 loss team....which is who will be faced in rounds 1 and 2. As with most single dimension offenses, once they run up against a team they cant just line up and simply physically dominate, they are going to have problems. Their defense is suspect against competent offenses and they are going to see teams with better offenses than Rossford and Elmwood come the 3rd round.
This region isn’t like most, Eastwoods 2nd round opponent as of right now would probably be 9-1 Oak Harbor, there 3rd round opponent based on seeding will be Elmwood so I don’t think they’ll have a better offense than themselves.

Not in region 18. Literally every 2nd round game can present issues for the top 5 seeds.

LC vs Archbold
Elmwood vs Tinora
Eastwood vs Genoa/OH
Coldwater vs Huron

Elmwood likely has the easiest first two round as I think they are still two touchdowns better than Tinora. But there's no cakewalks after round 1 in this region.

Also, who in this region has a better than offense than Elmwood (besides Eastwood)?

Not in region 18. Literally every 2nd round game can present issues for the top 5 seeds.

LC vs Archbold
Elmwood vs Tinora
Eastwood vs Genoa/OH
Coldwater vs Huron

Elmwood likely has the easiest first two round as I think they are still two touchdowns better than Tinora. But there's no cakewalks after round 1 in this region.

Also, who in this region has a better than offense than Elmwood (besides Eastwood)?
Eastwood & Elmwood have the best offenses in the region, period (with Coldwater's QB being hurt). Eastwood won't face a better offense than Elmwood in region 18. Oak Harbor's offense appears to be pretty potent as well, which could give them fits in round 2 (assuming they would beat Genoa). Also, Genoa's offense is no slouch either. Hback is correct, any higher seed could lose in round 2 and a couple of them could get challenged in round 1.

Without looking it up...anyone have an idea on which current NBC team has the most all-time playoff wins?

NBC playoff records:

Fostoria 19-13
Eastwood 16-14
Genoa 13-13
Otsego 11-13
Elmwood 4-5
Rossford 2-11
Woodmore 2-7
Lake 0-6

Oak Harbor 15-11
Maumee 3-9
All of Genoa's and Eastwood's have to be the last 20 years. A lot of people forget that Woodmore, Elmwood & Gibsonburg were really the big dogs of the league there in the 90s. In 2001 alone you had playoff teams in Gibsonburg, Woodmore & Lake with winning record teams in Eastwood & Otsego. The Eagles got it running in '02 with some strong seasons out of Otsego & Elmwood before 2007 came around and Genoa went postal out of nowhere.

To me the amount of change over the last 20 years is insane, yet now the modern day "SLL" is reminiscent in a lot of ways to what it was in the late 90s/early 2000s

LC vs Archbold
Elmwood vs Tinora
Eastwood vs Genoa/OH
Coldwater vs Huron

Maybe it was an easy guess to make......but it happened nonetheless. And it didnt come from an offense better than Elmwood's.