D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
Sure it does, until they prove themselves against equal or better competition...That is the problem, Wyoming only comp is Taft and then some padded stats tossed in for good measure.
How do you decide if they beat “equal or better” competition? That is totally subjective. To say a team is weak because of who they’ve played is pure speculation. Your opinion does not make a team weaker.

I don't know if this is the best team Big Red has played, or if they even have the best defense. What I do know is that Wyoming was undefeated in the regular season and finished with just over 25 points. That tells me that they didn't play a very good schedule. I havnt seen Wyoming play, but I'm saying ,I'm not believing the hype on this team. Win or lose I'd bet anybody that Big Red will score at least 4 times on this team
Not believing the hype.... What the hell are you talking about? It's the state final 4 for heaven's sake. Every team's 'hype' is completely deserved at this point.

"Equal or better" is usually determine by your opponents wins, ranking, talent, coaching in that season.
That is not subjective, Las Vegas makes billions predicting outcomes based on past performance vs future outcomes.
How do you decide if they beat “equal or better” competition? That is totally subjective. To say a team is weak because of who they’ve played is pure speculation. Your opinion does not make a team weaker.

"Equal or better" is usually determine by your opponents wins, ranking, talent, coaching in that season.
That is not subjective, Las Vegas makes billions predicting outcomes based on past performance vs future outcomes.
Las Vegas is wrong a lot too. Take it from someone who gambles every now and then. (Ok, honestly? Someone who gambles too much) ROFL!

First 4 weeks we definitely could underestimate
the opponents, they were garbage. The films, online all showed they weren’t very good

This week, not so much. It’s gonna take a great effort.

My only concern is being a little undersized
in the front 7….

Hester being nearly a 200lb 4.5 speed D1 RB…. We shall see if that causes some problems after tackling 160-170lb RBs over nearly the last month.

This has deteriorated into farce... I offered that background on Taft because another Steubenville supporter asked for more info on them-- I didn't say Taft was the "Glenville of Southwest Ohio" (I actually called Taft "Pick Central-lite")...

Regardless of what Steubenville's Dean Martin may think, Wyoming has proven it can play with the best in the state (in fact has even won the state title on more than one occasion) with its best teams-- and this Wyoming team appears to be on par with some of Wyoming's best teams... Wyoming also has a history (for over 90 years now) of winning a very high percentage of its games-- equal (or even superior) to Steubenville's history... at this point, I guess it's best to just see how it goes on the field Saturday... Of course, that was always how this was gonna play out-- it just appears that there is declining interest (here) in detached, analytical commentary on this matchup, ahead of the game itself.
4GX, I appreciate all the good info you have provided here. You never hid the fact you were a Taft fan and you’ve expressed how good this Wyoming team is. I too think great teams can be saddled with a poor schedule. Does not mean they are not a great team. Obviously they are. People also forget they are not some Johnny come lately. Us Big Red fans like to tout that we are the 3rd winningest program in the state of Ohio and 12th in the country. Well, Wyoming is right behind us as the number 4 winningest program in Ohio history. They have a long deep history. I do think each team is playing the best team they’ve played all year. Again thank you for bringing great football knowledge and a decency that is lacking in this forum.

Bozica will not carry the ball 25 times… Nor would he gain the amount of yards Hester has if he did. He is good but as we see the season progress. His carries have lessened due to the emergents of the younger backs 28 and 24.

Also, I’m not certain anyone on BR runs a legit 4.5. If so, they would have offers by now……

First 4 weeks we definitely could underestimate
the opponents, they were garbage. The films, online all showed they weren’t very good

This week, not so much. It’s gonna take a great effort.

My only concern is being a little undersized
in the front 7….

Hester being nearly a 200lb 4.5 speed D1 RB…. We shall see if that causes some problems after tackling 160-170lb RBs over nearly the last month.
Our kids to practice everyday with 230 lb RB’s. I know there is t much contact these days but I do t worry that a 200lb back breaking a bunch of tackles. I worry about a guy that they just keep feeding and feeding getting 3-4 yards then breaking the big one. Like has been said Wyoming relies on a smothering defense and a sound running game. Buchtel and Ricky Powers comes to mind. We bottled him up all day in both games. Eventually he broke one long run each game that beat us both times.

Bozica will not carry the ball 25 times… Nor would he gain the amount of yards Hester has if he did. He is good but as we see the season progress. His carries have lessened due to the emergents of the younger backs 28 and 24.

Also, I’m not certain anyone on BR runs a legit 4.5. If so, they would have offers by now……
My point was if we weren’t so deep at that position Bozica would get twice the carries and pile up huge numbers. We rarely have a “featured back”. Even our best over the last 40 years probably never averaged much more than 15-17 carries. I bet there were games that Hester carried it 30 times or more. I’d bet we haven’t had a back carry it 30 times more than 4 times in 40 years.

My point was if we weren’t so deep at that position Bozica would get twice the carries and pile up huge numbers. We rarely have a “featured back”. Even our best over the last 40 years probably never averaged much more than 15-17 carries. I bet there were games that Hester carried it 30 times or more. I’d bet we haven’t had a back carry it 30 times more than 4 times in 40 years.
FYI only: Hester only had 30 (36 actually) carries one time all year.

Our kids to practice everyday with 230 lb RB’s. I know there is t much contact these days but I do t worry that a 200lb back breaking a bunch of tackles. I worry about a guy that they just keep feeding and feeding getting 3-4 yards then breaking the big one. Like has been said Wyoming relies on a smothering defense and a sound running game. Buchtel and Ricky Powers comes to mind. We bottled him up all day in both games. Eventually he broke one long run each game that beat us both times.
Ricky Powers was an RB in the 80s. Let’s at least bring it forward 30 years or so.

Jarome Baker or Mooneys RBs of the late 2000s, the kid that complimented Joe Burrow. How about Chris Borland 15carry 130 yard in the 08 Final.

They are and have been out there.

Again, my only concern heading into the game is getting that guy of that pedigree to the ground…

Not believing the hype.... What the hell are you talking about? It's the state final 4 for heaven's sake. Every team's 'hype' is completely deserved at this point.
Your wrong, any team in the final four could possibly be the easiest game that the winner may have in the playoffs. It depends on the area they come from. Somebody is gonna get beat really bad this weekend. So I'm not believing the Hype, Blockhead

With all those great numbers he put up, you would think he would be at least a top 5 RB recruit coming out of ohio

He averages just under 23 carries/game. His season stats can be found below:

That is a great stat line. He’s out rushed a ton of teams. A couple things stand out to me…. They don’t throw the ball to him which makes him a little bit easier to prepare for AND they seem to put their success on his shoulders. If we can slow him down and prevent the home run we have a good shot at beating them. The other thing we have to control is the QB unscripted runs. Are they an option team? And lastly, any chance you can shoot the QB’s stats?

I remember all the Hype about that RB from Licking Valley. Storm Klein, that Hype was put to sleep
Hmmmm. That must have been hype just in your neck of the woods, because I've literally not heard of Storm Klien. But just minutes ago, Hester was "officially" named a finalist for Ohio's Mr. Football. Meaning a candidate for the best player in the state of Ohio.......regardless of division. His hype probably ain't being put to sleep. He's already earned it! Lol.

That is a great stat line. He’s out rushed a ton of teams. A couple things stand out to me…. They don’t throw the ball to him which makes him a little bit easier to prepare for AND they seem to put their success on his shoulders. If we can slow him down and prevent the home run we have a good shot at beating them. The other thing we have to control is the QB unscripted runs. Are they an option team? And lastly, any chance you can shoot the QB’s stats?

Quaid Hauer

Most of the Stats should be on the CHL Website. Go Cowboys!!

Actually, Wyoming DOES (occasionally) throw the ball to Hester-- not frequently, but probably once or twice a game (in "normal" weather conditions)...

Your wrong, any team in the final four could possibly be the easiest game that the winner may have in the playoffs. It depends on the area they come from. Somebody is gonna get beat really bad this weekend. So I'm not believing the Hype, Blockhead
Just to be clear-- you ARE talking about the Steubenville-Wyoming game, when you say that "Somebody is gonna get beat really bad [sic] this weekend", right? Are you claiming that Steubenville is going to beat Wyoming "really bad" [sic]? If so, what constitutes "really bad" [sic], in your mind? Is it a 20-point margin of victory? A 30-point margin of victory? A running clock? What would constitute fulfilling your prediction?

I can already see that my proposed bet on this game with you is not likely to happen-- I'm not going to be at the game, and with the animosity you are showing here (calling other posters "Blockhead", who have not insulted you in the slightest), I have my doubts that you'd follow through on paying up, if/when you lose the bet... But, just to put the details of my offer on the record, for posterity's sake:

I'd bet $10 (keeping it just a small, "friendly" wager) that Steubenville is NOT going to score 4 TDs in this game (as you have previously predicted)-- if you'd care to take that bet.

If you want to make ANOTHER bet on whether Steubenville is going to beat Wyoming "really bad" [sic] this week-- once you define what "really bad" [sic] means, I'd be willing to make an additional bet on that too.

Just to be clear-- you ARE talking about the Steubenville-Wyoming game, when you say that "Somebody is gonna get beat really bad [sic] this weekend", right? Are you claiming that Steubenville is going to beat Wyoming "really bad" [sic]? If so, what constitutes "really bad" [sic], in your mind? Is it a 20-point margin of victory? A 30-point margin of victory? A running clock? What would constitute fulfilling your prediction?

I can already see that my proposed bet on this game with you is not likely to happen-- I'm not going to be at the game, and with the animosity you are showing here (calling other posters "Blockhead", who have not insulted you in the slightest), I have my doubts that you'd follow through on paying up, if/when you lose the bet... But, just to put the details of my offer on the record, for posterity's sake:

I'd bet $10 (keeping it just a small, "friendly" wager) that Steubenville is NOT going to score 4 TDs in this game (as you have previously predicted)-- if you'd care to take that bet.

If you want to make ANOTHER bet on whether Steubenville is going to beat Wyoming "really bad" [sic] this week-- once you define what "really bad" [sic] means, I'd be willing to make an additional bet on that too.
4GX, you have been factual and professional in your dealings with poster. After he/she started insulting people with name calling, I immediately assumed that you were talking to a teenager. Or at least I hope so. Don't waste your time betting this person, because you will not be paid. Trust me! For the record, the Wyoming community has nothing but respect for Steubenville's team and it's great tradition. I expect a hard fought, low scoring game. And yes! I do believe both teams will score points! Whoever wins, I will be wishing them luck against D-1 Glenville! Oops! I mean D-4 Glenville! Smile!

I’m thinking and hoping he meant one or the other is going to get beat bad and that one way or another the game is going to be a blowout….. which I do not see happening. This game screams low scoring close game.

I didn't think to much about his post, but when I saw it, my thoughts went immediately to the Jefferson Area/Glenville game. I thought he was talking about Jefferson Area.

Hmmmm. That must have been hype just in your neck of the woods, because I've literally not heard of Storm Klien. But just minutes ago, Hester was "officially" named a finalist for Ohio's Mr. Football. Meaning a candidate for the best player in the state of Ohio.......regardless of division. His hype probably ain't being put to sleep. He's already earned it! Lol.
Mr. Klein was a first team All-State RB in D3 and a D3 Offensive Co-Player of the Year in 2008. He was also Gatorade's Ohio Player of the Year & I'm pretty sure he was a Mr. Football finalist also in 2008 but I'm not positive. Erick Howard won the Mr. Football Award that year and repeated the next season. Mr. Klein also accepted a scholarship to OSU but he was a LB there.

Mr. Klein was a first team All-State RB in D3 and a D3 Offensive Co-Player of the Year in 2008. He was also Gatorade's Ohio Player of the Year & I'm pretty sure he was a Mr. Football finalist also in 2008 but I'm not positive. Erick Howard won the Mr. Football Award that year and repeated the next season. Mr. Klein also accepted a scholarship to OSU but he was a LB there.
I stand corrected. Although I never heard of him, he sounds outstanding! And well deserving of all his accolades. I will now take the time to look him up. Thank you for this information.