D IV State Semi-Final: Steubenville (12-2) vs Wyoming (14-0)

Who wins?

• Steubenville

Votes: 58 43.9%
  • Wyoming

Votes: 74 56.1%

• Total voters
There has been a lot of Taft talk on here, & it’s kinda self fulfilling since those are Wyomings best two wins. It’s the final 4 now, two talented teams battling for a trip to Canton.

Taft would running clock Hartley?? Ok if you say so, but I know they not put a running clock 2-8 NDCL( but did manage a close 25-22 victory).

FYI The defending D-4 state champions (Clinton Massie) "punched Wyoming in the mouth" first in their playoff game this year. They actually had a 73 yard scoring drive to start the game (BTW only Navy runs the triple option better than Massie). At which point, Wyoming rattled off 40 points in response. Wyoming has 23 seniors who have played together since they were in peewee. They have a record of something like 48 and 3. They have been to 3 out of the last 4 Division four finals. They will not be rattled! They are use to the spotlight. (BTW Taft would probably put a running clock on Hartley) IMHO.
You mean the same Clinton Massie team that lost to St. Francis DeSales? The same DeSales team that needed multiple overtimes, on two separate occasions to beat Dover? I dare say, that wasn't a punch in the mouth, but perhaps a peck on the cheek!

You mean the same Clinton Massie team that lost to St. Francis DeSales? The same DeSales team that needed multiple overtimes, on two separate occasions to beat Dover? I dare say, that wasn't a punch in the mouth, but perhaps a peck on the cheek!
Clinton Massie has been generally pretty good in recent years-- Massie was the state champion in Division IV last season-- and they have a very basic all-run (triple option) style that yields consistent results, year after year, even as players graduate...

So, it was quite a surprise to people in SW Ohio when Massie started off this year uncharacteristically poorly, losing several games early (was that when they played St. Francis DeSales?-- I'd bet it was-- Massie even lost to Middletown Fenwick early in the season-- and that hasn't happened in a LOOOOONG time-- Massie usually beats Fenwick like a rented mule)-- but by mid-season, Massie righted the ship, and started to look like Massie teams of recent past years, as Massie cranked out a long winning streak, beating most opponents soundly... THAT late-season Massie team is the one that Wyoming faced two weeks ago-- and, after falling behind 7-0, ultimately defeated 40-7...

There has been a lot of Taft talk on here, & it’s kinda self fulfilling since those are Wyomings best two wins. It’s the final 4 now, two talented teams battling for a trip to Canton.

Taft would running clock Hartley?? Ok if you say so, but I know they not put a running clock 2-8 NDCL( but did manage a close 25-22 victory).
Hartley wasn't very good this year. As They have been in year's past. Taft has 5 D-1recruits. The only other D-4 team who can say that is Glenville. Who I believe would also put a running clock on Hartley. All that being said, I believe that I did say "in my humble opinion". You asked the question. I gave you the answer. It's just my opinion. Take it for what it's worth.

Clinton Massie has been generally pretty good in recent years-- Massie was the state champion in Division IV last season-- and they have a very basic all-run (triple option) style that yields consistent results, year after year, even as players graduate...

So, it was quite a surprise to people in SW Ohio when Massie started off this year uncharacteristically poorly, losing several games early (was that when they played St. Francis DeSales?-- I'd bet it was-- Massie even lost to Middletown Fenwick early in the season-- and that hasn't happened in a LOOOOONG time-- Massie usually beats Fenwick like a rented mule)-- but by mid-season, Massie righted the ship, and started to look like Massie teams of recent past years, as Massie cranked out a long winning streak, beating most opponents soundly... THAT late-season Massie team is the one that Wyoming faced two weeks ago-- and, after falling behind 7-0, ultimately defeated 40-7...
Very good analysis!

Is Taft a Cincinnati public school or considered an inner city school? Do the Cincinnati Public Schools have a league.
Yes, Taft is a Cincinnati City public school-- it is most definitely an "inner city school"-- it would be HARD to be more "inner city" than Taft-- it is located on the edge of Cincinnati's downtown area, in an area the borders the "Over the Rhine" and West End neighborhoods. These are amongst Cincinnati's poorest neighborhoods. It should be noted that residents of the City of Cincinnati can attend any of the Cincinnati City public schools that they choose...

Most of the other Cincinnati City public schools (aka CPS) are not currently fielding football teams that are nearly as competitive (in their respective divisions) as Taft is... Walnut Hills had a couple of decent teams (in Division I), several years ago-- but that didn't last; in the not-too-distant past, Withrow had some above average/good teams, and (25 years ago) Cincinnati Academy of Physical Education (CAPE) won several state football championships in the lower division(s) (but is now defunct)... ~50-60 years ago, Western Hills and Aiken used to have teams that were competitive with the big Catholic (GCL) teams-- but that has not been true for probably over 40 years now. Taft is really the only CPS team that is really performing at a decently high level right now-- and, consequently, many of the really good football players residing within the City of Cincinnati corporation limits are often choosing to enroll at and play for Taft (which is somewhat centrally located to/for most of the Metro bus routes in Greater Cincinnati).

Wow, those are some eye opening hard hitting facts.
No "IMO" B.S. commentary, just raw data.

Now the logical questions?
1. is Wyoming a product of their schedule?
2. What happens if they get punched in the mouth early?
3. Taft vs Hartley who wins.

you are who you play..

Great research and s critical point that adds much needed prospective to us pontificators
3. Having played both Taft - Hartley is a toss up. I’d take Taft by a TD.

As an aside Taft needed a late minute TD to win their 2nd round game to a so-so 6-5 Alter team 28-24…maybe just a one off.

3. Having played both Taft - Hartley is a toss up. I’d take Taft by a TD.

As an aside Taft needed a late minute TD to win their 2nd round game to a so-so 6-5 Alter team 28-24…maybe just a one off.
Great assessment and point. (BTW I don't believe that their starting quarterback or their stud defensive end, Elias Rudolph, played against Alter). Both were suspended for that game. Although, with all that talent, you still would not have expected the game to be that close.

Great assessment and point. (BTW I don't believe that their starting quarterback or their stud defensive end, Elias Rudolph, played against Alter). Both were suspended for that game. Although, with all that talent, you still would not have expected the game to be that close.
I’ll give you Rudolph he’s a disrupter. I wasn’t too impressed with the QB in either the McNick or Wyoming game.

Much has been said about Hester, 3000 yard rusher on the year...almost. Very good, strong RB. I put him in the 4.45-4.5 speed range but his quickness to start, stop and jump start are very much above average. I think someone said, he runs angry and always falls forward and I would agree with that statement. I like the kid since he is the same at the first snap as he his at the last snap.

Now for the Cowboy defense.
They give up an average of 120 ypg while having 33 Sacks, 62 TFL and 18 INTs. Clinton Massie appears to be the only team to have a rushing TD against them. Their round 2 game, and though it was tight in the 1st half (35-0 final), they gave up 170 yards passing to a backup QB and had 2 INTs. The other teams that either scored or had some success were spread as well. Could they struggle with a spead team that has the athletes, receivers/QB, to match up with them...I think so. I do know this defense flies to the ball, they are fast and aggressive against the rush.

Their D stat leaders
#2 ILB - 6'2" 215 lbs = 124 tackles. Also, the starting QB and that seems a bit odd if you ask me, lol
#55 DT - 6'1" 270 lbls = 111 tackles with 9 sacks
#12 OLB - 5'11" 190 lbs = 84 tackles
#18 LB - 5'11" 180 lbs = 87 tackles but I dont believe he starts
#6 OLB - 5'10" 190 lbs = 85 tackles
#8 DE- 6'2" 210 lbs = 78 tackles and this cat can play
#24 CB - 5'9" 175 lbs = 5 INTs. They have 18 INTs on the year and this seems to be their ball hawker.

I don't know a thing about BR but if they have that spread offense, they will probably make hay in their passing game. Wyomings rush D is very, very stout.

This should be a really good game and both teams are in the semi finals for a reason. East meets West...
Steubenville is not a spread team per say, but they will try to get guys in space. SHS is pretty much a pro style team that aims for balance between rushing and passing. They are not going to Chuck it all over the field. We will try to eastablish a running game and hope that opens the passing game. What I like about our offense is the willingness to throw the ball in obvious run situations and success running the ball in passing situations. It’s nearly impossible to find any tendencies. Some teams will run the same play every time on say 3rd & 2. Big Red is pretty darn hard to pin down. To me it seems like the only way to defend them is by staying in a base defense the entire game.

Wow, those are some eye opening hard hitting facts.
No "IMO" B.S. commentary, just raw data.

Now the logical questions?
1. is Wyoming a product of their schedule?
2. What happens if they get punched in the mouth early?
3. Taft vs Hartley who wins.

you are who you play..

Great research and s critical point that adds much needed prospective to us pontificators
Pretty sure Wyoming has won a state title recently playing the same schedule. You aren’t who you play. You are who you are. Sometimes great teams are stuck with a weak schedule. It doesn’t make them less of a team.

Perhaps I should have clarified and said that Big Red has never before played a team that OHSAA lists as "Cincinnati xxxxx." For example, OHSAA does not list Harrison as "Cincinnati Harrison," but they do list Wyoming as "Cincinnati Wyoming." Point taken though.
Big Red played Cincinnati Taft (score BR 42 - 16) when I was a freshman in 1966 and Div II Cincinnati Glen Este in 2014 (Score BR 23 - 14)

Hmmmmm. You could be right. But of course they couldn't schedule who they played in the playoffs, and they have only given up 7 points in the playoffs so far. That includes the defending state champion Clinton Massie, and Taft who was the number 9 team in the state in D-4. That probably counts for something. (Although Stubenville is the favorite)
Very fair point.

Old Stubber said: Big Red played Cincinnati Taft (score BR 42 - 16) when I was a freshman in 1966, Div II Cincinnati Glen Este in 2014 (Score BR 23 - 14) and Cincinnati St Xavier (Score ST X 7 BR 6) in 1977.
Saw that game...

P.S.- In Cincinnati, Big Red always meant Hughes High School-- never really a big power in football-- but Hughes DID have the first guy to shoot the basketball one-handed, back in the days when everybody else was shooting two-handed set shots-- Robin Freeman set the national HS season per-game scoring record in 1952, before moving on to a Hall of Fame career at Ohio State-- and then getting drafted by the NBA (but declining to play pro-- he went on to become a very successful lawyer, instead):

Last edited:
Big Red played Cincinnati Taft (score BR 42 - 16) when I was a freshman in 1966 and Div II Cincinnati Glen Este in 2014 (Score BR 23 - 14)

With all due respect how is that related to what I originally posted? My post was talking about playoff games only.

With all due respect how is that related to what I originally posted? My post was talking about playoff games only.
It was a small misunderstanding-- he missed that detail in your original post-- I did too (thinking of having seen X play Steubenville, in 1977)-- but then I realized that you were only referencing playoff games...

It was a small misunderstanding-- he missed that detail in your original post-- I did too (thinking of having seen X play Steubenville, in 1977)-- but then I realized that you were only referencing playoff games...
We lost to St. X at Harding stadium 7-6. During a 6 year period of .500 ball and 2 head coaches.

Pretty sure Wyoming has won a state title recently playing the same schedule. You aren’t who you play. You are who you are. Sometimes great teams are stuck with a weak schedule. It doesn’t make them less of a team.
Sure it does, until they prove themselves against equal or better competition...That is the problem, Wyoming only comp is Taft and then some padded stats tossed in for good measure.

But Taft is the “Glenville” of Southwest Ohio!
This has deteriorated into farce... I offered that background on Taft because another Steubenville supporter asked for more info on them-- I didn't say Taft was the "Glenville of Southwest Ohio" (I actually called Taft "Pick Central-lite")...

Regardless of what Steubenville's Dean Martin may think, Wyoming has proven it can play with the best in the state (in fact has even won the state title on more than one occasion) with its best teams-- and this Wyoming team appears to be on par with some of Wyoming's best teams... Wyoming also has a history (for over 90 years now) of winning a very high percentage of its games-- equal (or even superior) to Steubenville's history... at this point, I guess it's best to just see how it goes on the field Saturday... Of course, that was always how this was gonna play out-- it just appears that there is declining interest (here) in detached, analytical commentary on this matchup, ahead of the game itself.

I see this is another school that is in a city or town that OHSAA doesn't recognize as existing. Wyoming has a city government, a post office, and a school district. Yet, OHSAA still refers to it with the totally absurd moniker of Cincinnati Wyoming. It's the same way that OHSAA doesn't know that Bexley and Boardman are separate cities as well. From now on, I will refer to the school as Wyoming and nothing else.

I see this is another school that is in a city or town that OHSAA doesn't recognize as existing. Wyoming has a city government, a post office, and a school district. Yet, OHSAA still refers to it with the totally absurd moniker of Cincinnati Wyoming. It's the same way that OHSAA doesn't know that Bexley and Boardman are separate cities as well. From now on, I will refer to the school as Wyoming and nothing else.
Well, you are technically correct-- Wyoming is incorporated as a city-- and has its own school district (that largely corresponds to the borders of the city of Wyoming)... the post office is actually a very short distance away, in the city of Lockland.

The reason it makes sense to many Wyoming residents to refer to it as Cincinnati Wyoming is the confusion that gets generated when they just tell someone that they live in "Wyoming"-- it's analogous to telling someone that you live in "Washington"-- it immediately elicits the response "the city-- or the state?"... it even happens with people who live in the Greater Cincinnati area...