2022 St. Ignatius Football

Anyone hearing anything on next week site? With UA offering for Hoban game, maybe BW offers. Although they have a game next afternoon so prob not

A few years ago Ignatius and Ed’s used Brunswick as a neutral site for a playoff game.
My gut has been Brunswick, which I don't mind at all. I just wonder if BW tops bwick capacity when using grass. Without grass, Brunswick has a larger capacity

With all that has been written about Kyle's retirement from coaching the Cats, I haven't seen anything about his staying at Ignatius to continue teaching. Is all of Ignatius-related things behind him?

With all that has been written about Kyle's retirement from coaching the Cats, I haven't seen anything about his staying at Ignatius to continue teaching. Is all of Ignatius-related things behind him?

He will also be retiring from teaching. He will continue to work for the Browns and the NFL and enjoy the grandkids. He was asked if he would be attending the games and he said that, when he did go, he would be sitting in the far reaches of Byers Field in disguise

Yes, track, football and coaching. Complete retirement

I mean this with no disrespect at all. I would trade all of those for some more football titles, or appearances or even some state semi games again

I mean this with no disrespect at all. I would trade all of those for some more football titles, or appearances or even some state semi games again
99% of Ignatius posters would agree, except AZ. He pledged his loyalty to the soccer team when they started dominating.

Am I happy for every title, yes, of course. But I am an alum of the 90s so football and basketball just feel different

Congratulations to Coach Kyle on a fantastic career. Speaking as a Mentor fan that really only saw Ignatius since the early 2000’s, I missed out on the “glory years.” However, even the 2000-2022 years would’ve been a HOF career. I enjoyed that battles between Mentor and Ignatius over the years. Kyle and Triv had a mutual respect that helped both programs reach the heights they did. Best wishes to Kyle in his life after football. Seems like he left an incredible mark on thousands of young men.

Congratulations to Coach Kyle on a fantastic career. Speaking as a Mentor fan that really only saw Ignatius since the early 2000’s, I missed out on the “glory years.” However, even the 2000-2022 years would’ve been a HOF career. I enjoyed that battles between Mentor and Ignatius over the years. Kyle and Triv had a mutual respect that helped both programs reach the heights they did. Best wishes to Kyle in his life after football. Seems like he left an incredible mark on thousands of young men.
Classy post cardz.

As odd as it has been not seeing Triv, it will be that x10 without Chico.

As I reflect on Chico's legacy, I can't get past the fact that he never (and I've said his before, so forgive me for repeating myself) gave into the temptation to turn the program into something he didn't think was appropriate for high school sports.

Did the team ever board a plane for a game? (Not saying that's the only example, but it's a pretty good example of the trend I'm referring to.)

I don't think so, and I'd be interested in how many Top 25 programs nationally for whom that's true.

I know Ignatius hasn't been a Top 25 program nationally for about two decades, but that's kind of my point. In order to chase that status (which, based on track record of success and the school's financial situation, trying to keep up with the Mater Deis and St. Thomas Aquinases was an option), they likely would've had to change admissions standards, recruiting strategy, college placement strategy, media strategy, coach hiring and invested a lot of money in facilities and annual operating expenses. The program made some changes (like Nike uniforms) and there has been substantial investment in facilities since the last football state championship, but those investments (indoor facility, wrestling room/expanded weight room/McLaughlin Field) were at worst equally distributed across the department and, more realistically, were more beneficial for soccer, baseball, crew and lacrosse than football. Chuck had the power to bend nearly every decision that the school has made in the last two decades to his program's benefit and clearly chose not to, accepting (I presume) that it reduced the likelihood that future teams would meet the standard of past teams.

Humility is a trait that's often celebrated with lip service, but I think is rarely fully understood. I think Chuck's approach to working with the school — both him personally and the program he stewarded — was an example not just of a commitment to a principled approach, but to a real egolessness that is, to me, a great example of humility.

Two things, for the record:
1. I don't know what the internal discussions about trying to "national-ify" the program have been like the last 15 years. I assume some influential alums and perhaps some internal advocates have wanted to take steps in that direction, and maybe Chuck actively spiked efforts to build momentum. All I'm saying is that I think it's safe to assume if he wanted to change the conditions of the school to benefit the team, he'd have been able to, so it's equally safe to assume he didn't want that.
2. I'm well aware of the program's inherent advantages that allowed it to win 11 state championships in 24 years. When compared to other elite programs in Ohio and around the country, Ignatius was ahead of the curve in the 90s, even with the curve in the 2000s and behind the curve in the 2010s. My argument is that the school made choices to allow itself to fall behind the curve. (In addition to some things — namely St. Edward's accelerated effort to get ahead of the curve — being the course of normal competition, and others — like the socio demography of Northeast Ohio — being outside of anyone's control.) The Varsity Blues Bud Kilmer stereotype wouldn't have allowed that to happen.

Just another thing. I remember more than a few games where the Cats led 56-0 at halftime. What did Chico say in the locker room? who knows. But I do recall that the final score in those games was always 56-0 (with one exception where a Cats back returned the second half kickoff for a TD, making the score 63-0. I recall reading that Kyle was quite upset about that).

For St. Ignatius fans, the football season isn't over. St. Ignatius is hosting a state championship game next Saturday....

....In Montana.

The small town of St. Ignatius, Montana is hosting the Class C-8 State Championship between the St. Ignatius Bulldogs and Belt Huskies. Kickoff set for 1pm MT (3pm ET).

For anyone interested, the game will be aired on NFHS Network live and be archived as well.

Last week, St. Ignatius hosted Fairview, who traveled 665 miles (one way) and won 54-48. In the other semifinal, Belt hosted Culbertson, who traveled just 379 miles (one way) and won easily 38-0. Though they're hosting because of the playoff bracket, they are the underdog. Ironically, Culbertson and Fairview are both only 36 miles apart. Fairview is right on the North Dakota border. I actually saw both of Culbertson and Fairview play each other back in 2020. Haven't seen St. Ignatius or Belt yet. But, St. ignatius is south of Kalispell and north of Missoula. Belt is just east of Great Falls.

Belt has a rather short 230 mile (one way) trip to St. Ignatius for the state title. In Montana, all playoff games are at the higher seed. Very rarely will they play neutral sites. Even when one team has a travel 1400 miles round trip (as has happened since MT uses a statewide bracket).

Give you an idea of Montana 8-man Football:

Lighting is optional, it seems. Small town, small school. Doing what they can. Have never seen St. Ignatius or Belt play, but that's the closest teams I've had to this matchup. In A (11-man), Fergus/Grass Range/Winnett is hosting Billings Central Catholic for the state title at the same time. Saw Grass Range/Winnett host Rosebud when they were six-man on their own. They've shrunk enough they can't field even six players, so the much larger Lewiston school Fergus has co-oped with them. And they're in the state title.

This is Eastern Montana at its finest:

Could they find a neutral site like the Yellowstone ranch? The Governor would surely attend.
Unfortunately, Montana really favors the higher seed hosting. So, the two schools would have to agree. And they rarely ever would.

In 2016, MonDak, which is a co-op between Westby, Montana (right on the stateline in northeast Montana) and Grenora, North Dakota hosted the state title in Plentywood. Because Westby no longer hosts games, and in Montana, the title game has to be played in Montana. So, the title game in 6-man was moved to the next closest field: Plentywood (I've been there for a game, against MonDak of all teams).

That was still a 614 mile, one-way, trip for Hot Springs for the state championship game. Despite the mileage, they won 54-20.

A few articles document just who has the longest trip, but usually it's first round games.

In 2019, Eureka had a 667 mile trip to Baker in the first round. That's the distance from Portland, Maine to Richmond, Virginia.

In 2020, Thompson Falls had a 616 mile trip to Scobey in the first round. Scobey is just west of Plentywood. Two towns that are north of the Hi-Line in northeastern Montana.

In 2021, Thompson Falls had a 612 mile trip to Froid Lake, a small town south of Plentywood and north of Culbertson in the northeast corner.

I always like to look up the schedules in Montana, just because their playoff structure, lack of schools, teams, towns, etc means long travel is quite common.

The one I like to point out in eastern Montana is Garfield County. Garfield County is home to Garfield County High School in Jordan. The entire school, K through 12, has 156 students. They play six-man football. The Jordan Mustangs. I've seen a game there years ago.

The entire county has an entire population of 1,173 people. The county is famous for Tyrannosaurus Rex skeletons (4 of the major finds were in Garfield County). But the county is four times the size of Rhode Island. It's almost a tenth the size of Ohio.

If Ohio had the population density of Garfield County, it would have just 10,848 residents. It is sparse.

I've been thru St. Ignatius Montana. Almost fell out of my seat when saw the signs. Love Montana. 2nd best, only behind Alaska

I've been thru St. Ignatius Montana. Almost fell out of my seat when saw the signs. Love Montana. 2nd best, only behind Alaska
Once you get north of Missoula, it's just a beautiful drive up through Kalispell, to glacier or west through Lake Koocanusa.

As I reflect on Chico's legacy, I can't get past the fact that he never (and I've said his before, so forgive me for repeating myself) gave into the temptation to turn the program into something he didn't think was appropriate for high school sports.

Did the team ever board a plane for a game? (Not saying that's the only example, but it's a pretty good example of the trend I'm referring to.)

I don't think so, and I'd be interested in how many Top 25 programs nationally for whom that's true.

I know Ignatius hasn't been a Top 25 program nationally for about two decades, but that's kind of my point. In order to chase that status (which, based on track record of success and the school's financial situation, trying to keep up with the Mater Deis and St. Thomas Aquinases was an option), they likely would've had to change admissions standards, recruiting strategy, college placement strategy, media strategy, coach hiring and invested a lot of money in facilities and annual operating expenses. The program made some changes (like Nike uniforms) and there has been substantial investment in facilities since the last football state championship, but those investments (indoor facility, wrestling room/expanded weight room/McLaughlin Field) were at worst equally distributed across the department and, more realistically, were more beneficial for soccer, baseball, crew and lacrosse than football. Chuck had the power to bend nearly every decision that the school has made in the last two decades to his program's benefit and clearly chose not to, accepting (I presume) that it reduced the likelihood that future teams would meet the standard of past teams.

Humility is a trait that's often celebrated with lip service, but I think is rarely fully understood. I think Chuck's approach to working with the school — both him personally and the program he stewarded — was an example not just of a commitment to a principled approach, but to a real egolessness that is, to me, a great example of humility.

Two things, for the record:
1. I don't know what the internal discussions about trying to "national-ify" the program have been like the last 15 years. I assume some influential alums and perhaps some internal advocates have wanted to take steps in that direction, and maybe Chuck actively spiked efforts to build momentum. All I'm saying is that I think it's safe to assume if he wanted to change the conditions of the school to benefit the team, he'd have been able to, so it's equally safe to assume he didn't want that.
2. I'm well aware of the program's inherent advantages that allowed it to win 11 state championships in 24 years. When compared to other elite programs in Ohio and around the country, Ignatius was ahead of the curve in the 90s, even with the curve in the 2000s and behind the curve in the 2010s. My argument is that the school made choices to allow itself to fall behind the curve. (In addition to some things — namely St. Edward's accelerated effort to get ahead of the curve — being the course of normal competition, and others — like the socio demography of Northeast Ohio — being outside of anyone's control.) The Varsity Blues Bud Kilmer stereotype wouldn't have allowed that to happen.
Yep. St. Edward has sold their soul for football. Not St. Ignatius. A classic lol.

Yep. St. Edward has sold their soul for football. Not St. Ignatius. A classic lol.
The lines of what is and is not "selling your soul" always appear to line up exactly with whatever St. Ignatius is doing currently. Senior stud QB transfers from 2,500 miles away are totally fine as long as they are from a Jesuit HS. Rugby was a barbaric, drinking culture sport not to be endorsed by the school, until it was. Out-of-state Holiday basketball tournaments was another where there seems to have been a 180. But I'm sure there is some miniscule detail I'm missing why St. Ed's going to Myrtle Beach is bad, but the Cats going to Las Vegas is good.

The lines of what is and is not "selling your soul" always appear to line up exactly with whatever St. Ignatius is doing currently. Senior stud QB transfers from 2,500 miles away are totally fine as long as they are from a Jesuit HS. Rugby was a barbaric, drinking culture sport not to be endorsed by the school, until it was. Out-of-state Holiday basketball tournaments was another where there seems to have been a 180. But I'm sure there is some miniscule detail I'm missing why St. Ed's going to Myrtle Beach is bad, but the Cats going to Las Vegas is good.
We don't all post nonsense.

Perhaps the adults should stand aside and learn from the kids: I'd like to point out an excellent example of sportsmanship as, after the game, the St. Edward team and Coach Lombardo gathered around Chuck Kyle to honor him for his career and positive effect on high school football. Coach Lombardo thanked Chico for teaching and inspiring him in his career. John Telich caught the moment. Sportsmanship is not dead but, unfortunately, it often goes unreported. Shame.

Last edited: