St. Xavier Football 2023

7 Questions for 2023
  1. If Herbstreit wins QB position will Vollmer play WR/slot receiver?
  2. Will Hammond play DLine or OLine?
  3. Will Fleetwood play DLine or OLine?
  4. Will Weber play WR or safety?
  5. Will O’Malley play WR or safety if he is not QB1 or QB2?
  6. Will Justin Kattus play DLine or LB?
  7. Will the RB position strictly be the 2 seniors (Napier and Patrick)?

Heard that Brady Bennett was leading the crew, excited to see what he is going to do next year!
Good to hear.
Need next year's seniors to step up and lead the 2023 team.
Bennett saw some time at CB in Week 3 and showed promise with his size (6'1" 180lb) and speed

Place Kicker (2022 Stats)
#31 Jake Cengia Sr. 5'9" 150lb (8 for 9 on FGs long of 36 yards, 30/32 XPs)

Punters (2022 Stats)
#83 Will Goshorn Sr. 6'3" 172lb (8 punts for 217 yards for 27.1 yard avg, long 36 yards)
#62 Grant Hester So. 6'3 227lb (6 punts for 216 yards for 36.0 yard avg, long 50, 3 inside the 20)
X struggled on Kickoff team and punter, but looked good on kickoff returns and punt returns. Who returns on Kick Off and Punt Return and do they have a kicker who can put it in the endzone on Kick Off. FYI - Reload has strange hours. 330am and 430am posts?

It will be interesting to see if Specht makes any changes to the coaching staff. It seems like there are some guys on the JV coaching staff that should be on the Varsity staff, but it could be they don't have the time and availability to coach Varsity. Lot of good football IQ on the JV staff.

I know they locked down an O line coach in the middle of the season Alex Sulfsted (played at Miami Ohio and some NFL) having him for the whole offseason and really evaluating the line will hopefully lead to an improved unit. What coaches do you think they could possibly swap out?

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see if Specht makes any changes to the coaching staff. It seems like there are some guys on the JV coaching staff that should be on the Varsity staff, but it could be they don't have the time and availability to coach Varsity. Lot of good football IQ on the JV staff.
I don’t think “time” has anything to do with a HS Coach at any level. They All put in a ton of time, no matter the level.

I don’t think “time” has anything to do with a HS Coach at any level. They All put in a ton of time, no matter the level.
Some good West Side Coaches on that staff. Coach Fox - Can and does coach a little Varsity / Coach Weber - could be a Varsity Head Coach. Fox has been there for a while. The other coaches I am not sure about.

Any idea on schedule, I assume West stays as week 1, Penn contract is over as well as liberty. And week 10 is open.

What I have so far:

CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER
1 - (H) Lakota West
2 - (A) King (MI)
3 - (A) McCallie (TN)
4 - (A) Cincinnati Withrow
5 - (A) Cincinnati Moeller (Nippert Stadium?)
6 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
7 - (H) Trinity (KY)
8 - (H) Cincinnati LaSalle
9 - (A) Cleveland St. Ignatius (Strongsville HS)
10 - (H) Ocala Trinity Catholic (FL)

Last edited by a moderator:
What I have so far:

CINCINNATI ST. XAVIER
1 - (H) Lakota West
5 - @ Cincinnati Moeller
6 - (H) Cincinnati Elder
7 - (H) Trinity (KY)
8 - (H) Cincinnati LaSalle
9 - @ Cleveland St. Ignatius
Correct. 4 open dates as of today
Any chance we could get week 5 open as well?

7 Questions for 2023
  1. If Herbstreit wins QB position will Vollmer play WR/slot receiver?
  2. Will Hammond play DLine or OLine?
  3. Will Fleetwood play DLine or OLine?
  4. Will Weber play WR or safety?
  5. Will O’Malley play WR or safety if he is not QB1 or QB2?
  6. Will Justin Kattus play DLine or LB?
  7. Will the RB position strictly be the 2 seniors (Napier and Patrick)?
Ok, since no takers, I'll bite.
1. I think Herbie is QB 75-80% of the time. Vollmer is QB 20-25%. When DV is not QB he is all over the offensive backfield....RB, slot receiver, wide out etc.
2/3. These 2 questions are related IMO. One will be OLine and the other DLine. I think more likely to keep Hammond on DLine where he has been the past 3 years and Fleetwood who will be 300lbs will be more suited for OLine and follow in brother Evan's cleat steps. If this is the case I see both on the ball, Fleetwood at center and TH at NG.
4/5. These may be related as well to separate these 2 so they both play. Weber was more effective IMO on defense than offense so see him there. O'Malley knows the offensive playbook and showed he is elusive and fairly fast so I would expect him at WR.
6. Looking at the talent at LB and the fact that JKattus has a year playing DLine under his belt, I think JKattus goes on the Coach T program and adds 20 lbs and will be 6'2 240lb at camp
7. Likely. Not sure any of the other RBs will be able to break into this

Correct. 4 open dates as of today
Any chance we could get week 5 open as well?
Hey ReJect, I hear that Big Moe just pulled back the curtain on a certain Frosh QB that could be the second best player in the GCL-S behind JM. Maybe you should circulate a petition to have that week 5 game open so as to avoid further embarrassment. GBM 💪 🏈

Hey ReJect, I hear that Big Moe just pulled back the curtain on a certain Frosh QB that could be the second best player in the GCL-S behind JM. Maybe you should circulate a petition to have that week 5 game open so as to avoid further embarrassment. GBM 💪 🏈
He had 100 yards against a bad mason defense. Relax.

He'll go the route of your last famed QB, Deuce what's his face, and drop football for another sport.
X tried to have a pitcher play QB for a year and it didn't work out.....different throwing motions

Tyler Stegbauer can fill the Pete Rose Jr. “role”. Little Pete really added to the offense, his legacy will be continued through Tyler protecting Herbstreit in the back field.
With the Steg duo they might outcompete Steve Napier and Gage Patrick could be utilized as a slot receiver like he was at the beginning of last year.

Heard a large group of bombers were already consistently back in the weight room. This team is eager to get better. Can’t wait to see what the future holds!
The Coach T weight program will have to wait for 23 football players as they are playing a winter sport

Basketball
Varsity: Jakobe Clapper (Fr.), Will Goshorn (Jr.), Jake Wassler (So.), Luke Klare (Jr.), Gordy Sulfsted (So.)
JV: Thomas Vaughn, Kamsi Nwankwo, Brayden Reilly (Fr.)
Frosh: Connor Bareswilt, Jake Britt, Tyree Chappell, Jax Hendon, Alex McClatchey, Brady McDonald, Logan Paddock, Chase Hadnett, George Schwendeman, Will Schwartz and John Veith

Ice Hockey
Blake Kaeding (So.)

Swimming
Eli Avery-Broun (Fr.), Jonathan Naylor (Fr.)

Wrestling
A.J. Golden Jr.

The weight room will have to wait for 22 football players as they are playing a winter sport

Basketball
Varsity: Jakobe Clapper (Fr.), Will Goshorn (Jr.), Jake Wassler (So.), Luke Klare (Jr.), Gordy Sulfsted (So.)
JV: Thomas Vaughn, Kamsi Nwankwo, Brayden Reilly (Fr.)
Frosh: Connor Bareswilt, Jake Britt, Tyree Chappell, Jax Hendon, Alex McClatchey, Brady McDonald, Logan Paddock, Chase Hadnett, George Schwendeman, Will Schwartz and John Veith

Ice Hockey
Blake Kaeding (So.)

Swimming
Eli Avery-Broun (Fr.), Jonathan Naylor (Fr.)
You don't have to be out-of-season on a sport to be in the weight room-- most sports teams require their athletes to be doing weight training all year round-- including during that sport's season-- certainly football does-- why would you assume it is any different for other sports?

You don't have to be out-of-season on a sport to be in the weight room-- most sports teams require their athletes to be doing weight training all year round-- including during that sport's season-- certainly football does-- why would you assume it is any different for other sports?
I think he's saying in terms of hitting the football specific weight lifting goals.

2023 Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on 3/23/2023
Guest Speaker: Bengals HC Zac Taylor
Inductees
Michael Basil 2009 Baseball
Fred Craig 2008 Football
Matt Dektas 1994 Tennis
Chris French 2003 Swimming
John Tuke 1974 Football and Tennis

Gotta be one of the more unusual sport combinations...

Some interesting (controversial?) choices...

Hey ReJect, I hear that Big Moe just pulled back the curtain on a certain Frosh QB that could be the second best player in the GCL-S behind JM
3 for 16 for 27 yards and 1 INT
Maybe the receivers should have worn catcher's mitts
lol

Reactions: 4GX