My struggle with fans, maybe I am just too old

The reality is that also the schools act like they just want parents to go away when their kids graduate. They leave a lot of booster money on the table with this attitude for sure.
Wow!! This is one of my biggest complaints I've seen at our games. My jaw drops every time the PA announcer says, "are you the parent of a 7th-grade through 12th-grade student-athlete? If so, consider joining the sports booster club."

After reading some of the most successful programs on here for two decades, it seems like a number of them have large booster clubs with members who have been there most of their adult life. Not sure why anyone would restrict the booster club to parents of current student-athletes. Cast a wider net and you may be surprised who joins.

I never forget years ago my son played on a very average football team. We were playing a team that had one fast running back and he was running sweep after sweep to the opposite side of the field from my son you played outside linebacker and they were just eating up yards. Some lady behind me said we need to do something and right then my son ran from his side to the other and hit the running back a ton and he did not get up. I turned to her and said taken care of. She responded I did mean that and I responded back it was that or we don't stop him. I guess my sportsmanship could have used something but we did win the game.
I was playing QB in the 8th grade and we were doing well. I was a good scrambler and was getting a lot of "junk" yards. A lady from the stands, whom I couldn't possibly hear, started yelling at the field for her team to "kill that lil Sob," referring to me. Just then, the guy sitting next to her leaned over and whispered, "Hey lady, that lil Sob that you want killed...He's my son!" Said he never heard another peep out of her.:)
Sometimes you can cure bad manners with a little perspective. Never know who's sitting next to you....

The easiest way I can put it, is that with age comes experience. I think you've probably reached a point where you can be realistic, but also enjoy a game with a little less emotion.
Never any emotion for me personally ex. I am a neutral observer in all things sporting. Oh, except horse racing. I cheer for those upon which I have wagers!

I watch from home on the webcast for Indiana. Sometimes Ohio if available but rare. I can enjoy my own food, go to the restroom without waiting, stay cool or warm, and yell if I want without bothering anyone. At the games in person I don't say anything. I have the unique situation where I know the plays and the mistakes by players as we run the same offense & defense as well as special teams in youth & middle school. We also have a high school official on our youth board that has taught us the IHSAA rule book at least.

Unfortunately, years ago I may have been one of "those" fans. I'm not one that knows all the rules and would often get caught up with what the rest of the fans were yelling. One time during an untimely quiet moment I yelled LETS GO D! Only to realize we now had the ball. I pretty much keep quiet now.

I watched this story play out in a youth sports league. A very good youth program that had many talented and experienced coaches and the program flourished. As time passed, those people made other choices and the program suffered. Those coaching positions were filled by less experienced coaches that had a good heart but not the skill. The league suffered and is nearing life support. Some changes need to happen in HS sports to make sure it doesn't suffer a similar fate.
10 years. high school sports will cease to exist in 10 years. It will all be run as club programs by club organizations and schools will operate like Euro and Japanese models were academics are the only focus.

10 years. high school sports will cease to exist in 10 years. It will all be run as club programs by club organizations and schools will operate like Euro and Japanese models were academics are the only focus.
I have been following volleyball from a little distance lately. I'm seeing this happening in certain sports like volleyball before it hits all the others. One thing that I noticed was how many HS volleyball coaches were also club coaches. From what I read, it seemed like many of them were club coaches first and HS coaches second. IMO, HS coaches should be viewed much higher than club coaches in any sport.

Not sure if it will be a bad thing or a good thing if it does happen. Worse fan behavior at those events, but then maybe less bullying in the schools. Really our schools main focus should be to educate our children. School sports are to be an extension of that, but we've taken it much farther than that. I don't want to see the IMG model, but rather those 1960 Little League type models.

christmas vacation GIF

I go to football games every week attendance (playoff games) is almost half of what it used to be which is kind of nice don't have to get to the games so early, but I rarely ever hear anything derogatory said toward a player. If you do confront the person, it is that simple.

This has sort of happened in Hockey and Soccer where the best kids don't play for HS team.

But not going to happen with football as it is way too expensive. If tax payers are not subsidizing the costs no way the sport happens that HS age level. Not enough parents would not be willing to pay as much as it would costs to have very many teams.

I go to football games every week attendance (playoff games) is almost half of what it used to be which is kind of nice don't have to get to the games so early, but I rarely ever hear anything derogatory said toward a player. If you do confront the person, it is that simple.
True.
I rarely hear anything bad at games RE players, etc. Officials....yeah, all the time but that is just idiot fans.

Want to really get into it.....attend games when you really dont have a true vested feeling toward any team and you will see just how biased most fans are.

True.
I rarely hear anything bad at games RE players, etc. Officials....yeah, all the time but that is just idiot fans.

Want to really get into it.....attend games when you really dont have a true vested feeling toward any team and you will see just how biased most fans are.
I never have a vested interest in any team. I am perpetually neutral in all things sporting except for horses on which i have wagered.