My struggle with fans, maybe I am just too old

12penguins

There is some discussion about the "style" of some some fans support for their team, both online and at game sites on the Saturday Finals thread from yesterday. So I decided to come clean on my thoughts about what I am seeing and how I feel about it.

Shall we settle in that most every school has a number of fans who are clueless, crass and make fools of themselves with their comments on websites and at games? I say yes and unfortunately I see the number growing.
I had a game this season where multiple fans were calling for their side to "take out the knee" of the opponents star quarterback. I have had multiple games where any number of idiots would scream something inane on literally every play.
"Holding, they hold every play" "No way he had both feet in bounds" ( from 100 yards away across the field, obviously unaware that the player only needed one foot inbounds to complete the catch).."that play is not working, where did you learn how to coach" ( to a coach that had won 11 straight games but had fallen behind 6-0 in the first quarter) and last but certainly not least from a 45-year old still wearing his high school letterman's jacket "you are the worst f'ing referee, you must be from (opponents town). I will see you in the parking lot you f'ing cheating a'hole". And yes, as I got up from my seat and exited the game just too sick of (and slightly frightened by) the idiot to stay, I did point him out to the local police officer.
So yes, call me the grumpy old man, as some have done on posts on other threads, but even though they are in the minority, these ignorant, arrogant, clueless people are actually causing me to love less the games that I have loved and covered as a reporter for 42 seasons. By the way, none of these people are students and very few are young adults. It is almost always, in my observation, a 40 to 55 year old, male or female, and very often not a parent of any player, cheerleader or band member. Not every time, of course, but more often than not, those people simply cheer for their team.
Okay rant over. Have at me.

Anyone who wishes injury on a player, any player, is a piece of garbage.

We were taught that if we thought the refs stole the game from us, it meant we didn't play well enough to take that possibility out of their hands.

If one's high school football days are the high point in their life, they are pathetic losers.

I totally agree, but to a lesser extent. I’ve encountered two or three of these guys this year, and they fit all the demographics you said. And they take away from the enjoyment for sure, but I haven’t seen a lot of obscenity or threatening behavior. Mainly just the constant grinding on the refs, which is grating.

i’ve encountered a lot of deadbeat, armchair quarterback “fans” in my day. do they really think the coach is going to hear them from the stands? and even if they did, do they think the coach would care? i even hear some fans calling out a KID during the game.

i’ve had to tell a couple of people to shut it. it’s fine to be critical at times, but there’s a time and place, and in the stands during the game is as disrespectful as it gets.

99.9% of the time, the guys trying to yell at the coaches and players from the stands don’t know what the h**l they’re talking about.

There is some discussion about the "style" of some some fans support for their team, both online and at game sites on the Saturday Finals thread from yesterday. So I decided to come clean on my thoughts about what I am seeing and how I feel about it.

Shall we settle in that most every school has a number of fans who are clueless, crass and make fools of themselves with their comments on websites and at games? I say yes and unfortunately I see the number growing.
I had a game this season where multiple fans were calling for their side to "take out the knee" of the opponents star quarterback. I have had multiple games where any number of idiots would scream something inane on literally every play.
"Holding, they hold every play" "No way he had both feet in bounds" ( from 100 yards away across the field, obviously unaware that the player only needed one foot inbounds to complete the catch).."that play is not working, where did you learn how to coach" ( to a coach that had won 11 straight games but had fallen behind 6-0 in the first quarter) and last but certainly not least from a 45-year old still wearing his high school letterman's jacket "you are the worst f'ing referee, you must be from (opponents town). I will see you in the parking lot you f'ing cheating a'hole". And yes, as I got up from my seat and exited the game just too sick of (and slightly frightened by) the idiot to stay, I did point him out to the local police officer.
So yes, call me the grumpy old man, as some have done on posts on other threads, but even though they are in the minority, these ignorant, arrogant, clueless people are actually causing me to love less the games that I have loved and covered as a reporter for 42 seasons. By the way, none of these people are students and very few are young adults. It is almost always, in my observation, a 40 to 55 year old, male or female, and very often not a parent of any player, cheerleader or band member. Not every time, of course, but more often than not, those people simply cheer for their team.
It has been amusing to me over the years and I, like you, can’t hardly tolerate going anywhere in public nowadays 😂. Maybe it’s our age or maybe it’s society (probably a little of both) but it’s just not worth it anymore. Believe it or not, I was very quiet in the stands when my son played but I saw some antics to near riots during his years in the GCL. I also saw some of the best examples of good sportsmanship among the kids in various sports. Sports is like society, you have to take the good with the bad but I sure don’t miss the nasty weather these playoff games are sometime played in 😂

My son played in the GCL when Zeeman’s son did. I honestly don’t recall any bad behavior in his 4 years other then some random referee insults. I’ve never seen a fight break out or anything close.
On the other hand, I have two girls who played high school soccer over an 8 year period and witnessed plenty of bitching and complaining and some parent back and forth. Interestingly most times it was MOMS mouthing off to other moms (the play was too rough). I’ll admit to shouting the occasional shut up when it became annoying.

Last edited:
My school's fans are a big reason why I don't go to games anymore unless I'm working the game. Always a good time when 1 of the players' parents who ran girls XC and track at the same time I was running boys XC and track is yelling at the refs to "learn the $%#^ing rules!"

It has been amusing to me over the years and I, like you, can’t hardly tolerate going anywhere in public nowadays 😂. Maybe it’s our age or maybe it’s society (probably a little of both) but it’s just not worth it anymore. Believe it or not, I was very quiet in the stands when my son played but I saw some antics to near riots during his years in the GCL. I also saw some of the best examples of good sportsmanship among the kids in various sports. Sports is like society, you have to take the good with the bad but I sure don’t miss the nasty weather these playoff games are sometime played in 😂
Let me support the statement you make about kids on the sidelines and in the stands. I will offer 2 thoughts.
1. I enjoy listening to the chants, back and forth jibes and general cheering and supports of their teams by the students and student sections. I have never ( okay very very rarely) encountered anything malicious coming from the young people who are there cheering on their team.
2. My sincere hope is that the majority of them who see, hear, read about or otherwise encounter the type of adult fans we are discussing recognize the problem and will not act in that fashion if they decide to attend games in the future. I know most of the will not.

Might it be where you live and the games you go to? I seldom see or hear the animosity you are experiencing. If I did I would probably think twice before going to more games. This could be an interesting thread. I would like to know how big a problem this is for other posters.

I'm probably as guilty as the next person of pushing the envelope. Someone even thought years ago that I was worse than Howard Cosell. Never played the game but have questioned coaching decisions.

What I have seen, particularly in the last 5 years or so, is a decidedly "dumbing down" of knowledge, perspective and manners across all facets of the game and the chat-rooms that discuss it.
Why isn't this surprising? Because this is the same mentality & behavior that also permeates all other elements of the American experience as well.
Welcome to the new normal...I feel your pain.

Last edited:
My sentiments leans towards Zeeman in post #5. As we age our Internal BS meter gets thinner and thinner. These people have existed from the my earliest memories. I used to ignore them, sometimes laugh if they infused some humor in their rant. But I tolerate them because they're usually ill informed or generally bitter people.
One of the reasons I like to sit WAAYY away from people. Get my bathroom, concessions and 50/50 as soon as I enter the stadium.
And I have attended urban, suburban and rural games. Absolutely no difference in level of obnoxious

Parents are the least objective people at most games. I once attended a game where at the half I overheard the dad of one teams QB busting the head coaches chops for calling a running play before the half that went the distance, the dad couldn't believe that the coach didn't throw instead. Wow.

Another one that stood out was the D-VII state semi-final game at Lima between McComb and Fort Recovery in 2015. It was rain and freezing rain the whole game and McComb dropped a couple of wide open deep switch routes in the first half. The McComb crowd turned on Coach Alge and never let up. This is a guy that came into the game 12-1 with the only loss coming to Marion Local in the season opener. All of a sudden he had become an idiot.

Besides moms I presume that some of the people who bark the most were former players. Since nobody wins every game every year it seems to me that one of the things football is supposed to teach guys is how to deal with adversity and disappointment. Some people never learn the lesson.

What I have seen, particularly in the last 5 years or so, is a decidedly "dumbing down" of knowledge, perspective and manners across all facets of the game and the chat-rooms that discuss it.
Why isn't this surprising? Because this same mentality & behavior also permeates all other elements of the American experience as well.
Welcome to the new normal...I feel your pain.
I believe you are correct and I am sorry I that you are.

My sentiments leans towards Zeeman in post #5. As we age our Internal BS meter gets thinner and thinner. These people have existed from the my earliest memories. I used to ignore them, sometimes laugh if they infused some humor in their rant. But I tolerate them because they're usually ill informed or generally bitter people.
One of the reasons I like to sit WAAYY away from people. Get my bathroom, concessions and 50/50 as soon as I enter the stadium.
And I have attended urban, suburban and rural games. Absolutely no difference in level of obnoxious
I agree on all fronts.

Have none of you people been to college or pro games? It's no different there than in the high school games, IMO it's even worse.
I do not attend (or watch ) college or professional football. I have in the past and do not enjoy the game at all. I do attend college basketball ans soccer games at various venues.

Might it be where you live and the games you go to? I seldom see or hear the animosity you are experiencing. If I did I would probably think twice before going to more games. This could be an interesting thread. I would like to know how big a problem this is for other posters.
I attend games in urban, rural, city schools, parochial, private settings. It is my fall hobby and i am generally in sw, nw, ir central ohio.

Most people, especially women, don't know the rules are different for pro, college and hs. The biggest one that I always heard was that ball wasn't catchable. I used to say, that's not the rule in hs. After awhile, I didn't bother saying anything anymore. I'm the same way, most of the fans annoy me so I don't bother going to games anymore. My last Holy War was 2004. My last high school game was a couple of years ago. I go to the highest place at the top of the stands, away from as many people as I can. I guess I'm getting old. Ha!

Last edited:
My son played in the GCL when Zeeman’s son did. I honestly don’t recall any bad behavior in his 4 years other then some random referee insults. I’ve never seen a fight break out or anything close.
On the other hand, I have two girls who played high school soccer over an 8 year period and witnessed plenty of bitching and complaining and some parent back and forth. Interestingly most times it was MOMS mouthing off to other moms (the play was too rough). I’ll admit to shouting the occasional shut up when it became annoying.
I went to a Badin-Fenwick girls basketball game about 7 years ago and was mortified at the parents from both schools. It was ridiculous.

Yes. The number of stupid people and inappropriate behavior will likely never go away. Unfortunately.

Attachments

• funny-stupid-jellyfish-brains-people.jpg
    funny-stupid-jellyfish-brains-people.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 18
Basketball used to be played in a cage because the fans were so bad. The Convo has always hosted games with the first section pushed in because in the 60’s both teams had a huge fight in the stands

Doesn’t matter where you see a game at, fans will yell like they are being cheated 😂

I think generally there are people feeling powerless and frustrated with so many things these days and not having a outlet. I’ve also seen perfectly rational and calm people turn into Dr.Jekyl during football games. I think there is a lot more anger in society today unfortunately. It’s almost like a group venting of emotions. That’s my take on it. Not condoning it. Just trying to rationalize it.

Interestingly enough there was far more craziness in wrestling than football. Very “passionate” sport

I attend games in urban, rural, city schools, parochial, private settings. It is my fall hobby and i am generally in sw, nw, ir central ohio.
You must have the worst luck ever. I attend games in Northeast Ohio. Maybe I am like Ed's 74. I try to find somewhere I have extra room. I usually sit around the 30 yard line or the end zone if the school has seating there. I sit at the opposite side of the bleachers from the student section. Never see that much of obnoxious fans. Run into the loud fan who doesn't know what is going on. Usually good for a few laughs🤷‍♂️

I hate that objectivity is such a lost value in our society. I have to choose to keep mouth shut with the fans of the same team I root for often.

I find myself saying under my breath something akin of my own team, “it was clearly *insert whatever penalty was called* on ‘us’”

sometimes I feel like I’m the only person in my side of the field thinking like that.

Even the average fan can see the deterioration in officiating. For the fan with HomerVision, every call is a bad call.

Every game I attend you have one fan who is the fan you described in the original post. I often out loud at them but never let it take away from my fun.