2 Springfield 3 centerville part 2

Who wins

• Springfield

Votes: 41 78.8%
  • Centerville

Votes: 11 21.2%

• Total voters
It’s pretty simple- Centerville fell to a more disciplined program tonight. If the Elks ever want to win state they need DISCIPLINE. Springfield just had more discipline and toughness tonight.
Centerville football will never make state. EVER!!! Basketball yes. Not football

Can't blame Ullery. Elks haven't won regional semifinal in 31 years. In fact, they've only won the regional semifinal once ever, in 1991.
it’s a cultural issue. Centerville has never had the toughness or discipline to win state. They also don’t play very well in bad weather.

I mentioned this in another post, but they need to bring in a real man with tegridy to coach the squad. Preferably someone with a military or law enforcement background. If they’re serious about state, it’s the only way.

keep playing soft, undisciplined football, keep getting the same results for 30 years. Spread the ball out, run the option, doesn’t matter…

Last edited:
it’s a cultural issue. Centerville has never had the toughness or discipline to win state. They also don’t play very well in bad weather.

I mentioned this in another post, but they need to bring in a real man with tegridy to coach the squad. Preferably someone with a military or law enforcement background. If they’re serious about state, it’s the only way.

keep playing soft, undisciplined football, keep getting the same results for 30 years. Spread the ball out, run the option, doesn’t matter…
This is just my opinion. But I think the issue is Centerville doesn't have elite, 4 star very special players who can take over a big game and just be unstoppable. They do have some very good, very hardworking players. But they don't have and have never had really special players like Jordan Marshall, Mitch Bolden. Smoot, Braxton Miller. Enovitch, etc that really are the difference in these big D1 deep playoff games. Last night, Centerville did everything right, worked hard, executed, etc. But it just wasn't enough against an elite, playoff experienced team with very special players like Schondelmyer, Brown and Norman. Players like them take the team to another level.

You seem to be quite the prognosticator. Saying Springfield won’t win this year and Centerville will never make it. Can you tell me who’s winning the Super Bowl so I can retire early? Thanks in advance.
I don't understand why anyone thinks these things are impossible. Based on what??

This is just my opinion. But I think the issue is Centerville doesn't have elite, 4 star very special players who can take over a big game and just be unstoppable. They do have some very good, very hardworking players. But they don't have and have never had really special players like Jordan Marshall, Mitch Bolden. Smoot, Braxton Miller. Enovitch, etc that really are the difference in these big D1 deep playoff games. Last night, Centerville did everything right, worked hard, executed, etc. But it just wasn't enough against an elite, playoff experienced team with very special players like Schondelmyer, Brown and Norman. Players like them take the team to another level.
You’re right… Cville never has elite players… if you ignore the dozen NFL players that have come out of the school? LOL
Also, how many state titles were produced by that elite list you provided?

Several people on here like to dog Centerville, however they put Dayton DI football on the map. The torch has been passed, however Centerville will never be regarded as a slouch program.

Centerville has been to the State Tournament twice, losing in the Semifinals in 84 and losing the State Title in 91.

Unfortunately programs change. They were a nobody program until Bob Gregg came in the picture circa 1973. The computer point system was BS back when his teams began to dominate starting with the 75 team through the 84 squad.

Unlike today, where nearly everyone reaches the playoffs back then from 75 - 81, only the top team in each Region went to the playoffs. Then it was the top 2 teams which in R4 was dominated by Moeller and Princeton. Centerville tried to sneak in by playing those teams each year at the start of the season but always came up short until by luck, in 84 Princeton lost on a last second play and Centerville was 2nd in the Computer points to Moeller.

Centerville made their mark for D1 Dayton area schools; the first to make it to the State Title game and losing by 3 to power St Ignatius. Wayne became the next Dayton D1 school to begin beating everyone under Minton and made the finals 4 times. Today the Dayton area claims Springfield and now they're making a run for how long, no one knows. Bottom line, the run that is made eventually comes to an end.

Several people on here like to dog Centerville, however they put Dayton DI football on the map. The torch has been passed, however Centerville will never be regarded as a slouch program.

Centerville has been to the State Tournament twice, losing in the Semifinals in 84 and losing the State Title in 91.

Unfortunately programs change. They were a nobody program until Bob Gregg came in the picture circa 1973. The computer point system was BS back when his teams began to dominate starting with the 75 team through the 84 squad.

Unlike today, where nearly everyone reaches the playoffs back then from 75 - 81, only the top team in each Region went to the playoffs. Then it was the top 2 teams which in R4 was dominated by Moeller and Princeton. Centerville tried to sneak in by playing those teams each year at the start of the season but always came up short until by luck, in 84 Princeton lost on a last second play and Centerville was 2nd in the Computer points to Moeller.

Centerville made their mark for D1 Dayton area schools; the first to make it to the State Title game and losing by 3 to power St Ignatius. Wayne became the next Dayton D1 school to begin beating everyone under Minton and made the finals 4 times. Today the Dayton area claims Springfield and now they're making a run for how long, no one knows. Bottom line, the run that is made eventually comes to an end.
The torch actually has come full circle. The original SHS actually was the premier Dayton area big school HS football program during their GOL days. Had the North/South split not happened, I'm not so sure Centerville would have had their glory days. At the very least, SHS and CHS would have been on equal footing the way OSU Michigan used to be. And Centerville still has good teams, especially last several years. The difference is other area schools have come up. This year's Elks team would have won big last week if they were in the other bracket. And, they probably would be statebound if they were in R3. Last Friday's lopsided score was because SHS is at a different level. But realistically, Elks this year were equivalent of an elite 8 team, possibly a final 4 team. If you don't compare them to Springfield, Elks had one of their best teams this year, especially with losing their qb late in the season.

The torch actually has come full circle. The original SHS actually was the premier Dayton area big school HS football program during their GOL days. Had the North/South split not happened, I'm not so sure Centerville would have had their glory days. At the very least, SHS and CHS would have been on equal footing the way OSU Michigan used to be. And Centerville still has good teams, especially last several years. The difference is other area schools have come up. This year's Elks team would have won big last week if they were in the other bracket. And, they probably would be statebound if they were in R3. Last Friday's lopsided score was because SHS is at a different level. But realistically, Elks this year were equivalent of an elite 8 team, possibly a final 4 team. If you don't compare them to Springfield, Elks had one of their best teams this year, especially with losing their qb late in the season.
Did a little research as I have a subscription to Newspapers.com and sure enough found that Springfield had a very dominate football program pre 1960 and just as surprising was Kettering Fairmont. The Ranking I added is from Nov 23 1959. I guess we'll never know just how dominate a combined Springfield would have been because as you know, coaching has a lot to do with sustained success. Schools like Princeton and Centerville hadn't had the same level of success once their legendary coaches left. Even Moeller went through a period of mediocracy until they found another good coach.

Nov 24 1959.PNG

Last edited:
Did a little research as I have subscription to Newspapers.com and sure enough fond that Springfield had a very dominate football program pre 1960 and just as surprising so was Fairmont. Ranking I added is from Nov 23 1959 View attachment 36100
Fairmont and Chaminade also had some great times but not as frequently as SHS which was the only Dayton area school in the GOL. People from Dayton told me that everyone in Dayton kinda looked up to SHS as the top football program. But for that North-South split, there'd be alot more trophies in the case. By late 1960s, the SHS football dynasty was pretty much gone. Then, Gregg took over at Centerville which became the top Dayton area program in the playoffs era. Btw, Governor James Rhoades played football for SHS during its heydey. The old SHS actually won a couple of state titles thru polls. As for the north-south split, it divided the talent and players. But more importantly, neither school had the backing of the full community the way it used to be. As for Centerville, it's important to remember their decline started in the late 1980s under Gregg. They several great teams in the 1990s, but they weren't the perennial power they used to be. Alot of of people think it's because other sports came up which caused some kids not to play football.

Last edited: