Region 4 Semi-Finals: Elder(10-2) vs. Lakota West(12-0)

ELDER is playing lights out.
2 playoff games 80 points scored 13 allowed. WEST too has been impressive with 78 points scored and 0 points allowed.

Honestly neither team has faced a quality team in the playoffs. Elder played a little stronger schedule so I give them the edge in a low scoring contest. 24-20 Elder...
Princeton is definitely a quality opponent in my opinion. They aren’t all the hype that some poster make them but much better most of the region and Milford.

I think wins against top 8 teams should be considered good for the most part. Top 4 very good. I play be the old playoff system before everyone got in

No insight on this Game from Trey the Clown or Omar the Dbag? Disappointing not hearing the total non sense spewed often by Elder Super Fan Omar the Dbag!!! If LW Wins, Omar will cry all the way back to his Parents basement!

No insight on this Game from Trey the Clown or Omar the Dbag? Disappointing not hearing the total non sense spewed often by Elder Super Fan Omar the Dbag!!! If LW Wins, Omar will cry all the way back to his Parents basement!
And when Elder wins, where will you cry?

You can go to the Elder forum to read Omar's breakdown. I only can assume that Trey2k's latest screen name has been banned from the Elder forum. We have not heard from him in awhile.

Here’s hoping that a change happens soon. Not holding my breath, though.

Elder will be a handful for West. Gotta think they’ll want to neutralize the LW run game and force them to put the ball in the air.

I’ll go 24-17 Elder.
LW really doesn't have a strong run game to begin with. They were middle of the pack in Rush YPG in GMC. And if you watch the games, their O-line opens 0 holes. Last week vs Princeton they had their best running game to date.

Offensive line is hit or miss game-to-game in pass protection. How is Elder's pass rush? West has some decent WRs.

LW really doesn't have a strong run game to begin with. They were middle of the pack in Rush YPG in GMC. And if you watch the games, their O-line opens 0 holes. Last week vs Princeton they had their best running game to date.

Offensive line is hit or miss game-to-game in pass protection. How is Elder's pass rush? West has some decent WRs.

Elder has been good against the run except for a couple games. Their pass rush has been good led by the nose guard Samari Freeman and End Liam Hulen. They will rotate a couple other DT/DE in there. They stay pretty fresh and all are pretty good pass rushers. They will send a LB on most pass situations also to get some pressure. Elder's strength is their front 7. The defense has been good all year except against Moeller.

Reminds of when Elder/Colerain playoff games were happening on the regular. This is a toss up game imo. I think West gets to 21, it’s a matter of Elder being able to convert 3rd downs to keep drives alive. If I were to have a line I would make it LW -3.5

LW is a slight favorite. Elder struggles in short-yardage. The run-play-calling is vanilla and they rely on execution more than deception.

I expect a tight game with turnovers and field position being the deciding factor. How are the special teams for LW?

LW is a slight favorite. Elder struggles in short-yardage. The run-play-calling is vanilla and they rely on execution more than deception.

I expect a tight game with turnovers and field position being the deciding factor. How are the special teams for LW?

Very good. Their kicker Senior Tyler Bohn is 12-13 on Field Goals with a long of 46. 51-54 on XPs. He was 1st Team ALL GMC last year.

Their punter is good too. Sophomore Joe Marquardt had 4 punts last week against Princeton for an average of 50.3 and a long of 78 yards(I'm sure wind helped), and he was credited with 1 inside the 20. On the season, he is averaging 41.5 yards per punt. He only has 11 punts on the season. I would guess he has recently taken over punter duties from Ben Minich.

Special teams has been extremely good for LW this season, the kicker is a stud and the young punter has a pretty good leg. They have returned a quite a few kickoffs and punt returns for TDs and their punt block team has blocked multiple as well. Returners are a little risky which is a worry but they have a chance to get a TD on special teams if Elder dozes off at all.

I watched a few games on Elder this year and am slightly confused. They certainly do not look the part at almost all skill positions and at FB and LB. They have played good team’s extremely tough but I would have expected more efficiency and domination vs Roncalli and Chatard. Any insights?

I watched a few games on Elder this year and am slightly confused. They certainly do not look the part at almost all skill positions and at FB and LB. They have played good team’s extremely tough but I would have expected more efficiency and domination vs Roncalli and Chatard. Any insights?

Roncalli and Chatard are GCL type teams. They don't have a ton of speed like you see in the GMC, but they have a lot of good football players. Roncalli line was huge and their RB is setting rushing records. It was a great road win for Elder. I would have liked to see Elder win that game easier, but on the road going to Indy against a good team is not easy. Chatard had a very good QB, and the defense played really well. Elder got the lead and just seemed very conservative on offense. If Elder ever would open their passing game up this year, you would have seen some higher scoring games, because Elder QB has a good arm and is very accurate. It's just been ball control, get yards on the ground, and pick spots to pass this year. It's hard to argue against what they are doing, because it's worked so well so far.

Elder LBs are very good led by the senior Voelkerding and junior Dugan. Hoerenschmeyer is a returning starter and Paff has turned in a surprisingly good season after being a backup early on. The sophomore Arnold is getting D1 looks, but he has been playing through a shoulder injury and just has a ways to go to improve as a LB on the Varsity level. His potential is very high. Elder's fullback is a bruiser and has been very important to Elder's run game success this year.

Roncalli and Chatard are GCL type teams. They don't have a ton of speed like you see in the GMC, but they have a lot of good football players. Roncalli line was huge and their RB is setting rushing records. It was a great road win for Elder. I would have liked to see Elder win that game easier, but on the road going to Indy against a good team is not easy. Chatard had a very good QB, and the defense played really well. Elder got the lead and just seemed very conservative on offense. If Elder ever would open their passing game up this year, you would have seen some higher scoring games, because Elder QB has a good arm and is very accurate. It's just been ball control, get yards on the ground, and pick spots to pass this year. It's hard to argue against what they are doing, because it's worked so well so far.

Elder LBs are very good led by the senior Voelkerding and junior Dugan. Hoerenschmeyer is a returning starter and Paff has turned in a surprisingly good season after being a backup early on. The sophomore Arnold is getting D1 looks, but he has been playing through a shoulder injury and just has a ways to go to improve as a LB on the Varsity level. His potential is very high. Elder's fullback is a bruiser and has been very important to Elder's run game success this year.
Apperciate the insight! I don’t know much about Chatard or Roncalli. I guess the broadcasting crew didn’t do anyone justice, size wise, other than the trenches specifically for the Roncalli game.

I just wonder how the offense will deal with LW’s speed. Also, very interested to see if your defense has the ability to shut down M. Bolden, no one really has this year other than X in week one (1st half). The stats aren’t crazy but he’s only played in 5-6 full games this year. For Elder’s sake I hope they open up the offense more because I don’t think you will be able to just pound LW’s defense, not after that Fairfield game.

Last edited:
Apperciate the insight! I don’t know much about Chatard or Roncalli. I guess the broadcasting crew didn’t do anyone justice, size wise, other than the trenches specifically for the Roncalli game.

I just wonder how the offense will deal with LW’s speed. Also, very interested to see if your defense has the ability to shut down M. Bolden, no one really has this year other than X in week one (1st half). The stats aren’t crazy but he’s only played in 5-6 full games this year. For Elder’s sake I hope they open up the offense more because I don’t think you will be able to just pound LW’s defense, not after that Fairfield game.
If Elder can stay away from the HUGE turnovers that happened to them vs Moe they will be in this game. Think the Elder/Eds game as opposed to Elder/Moe. If they throw a pick 6 or fumble punts it could get ugly for them.

This game, as many others this time of year come down to the play along the LOS. If Elder is able to run the ball, they'll be able to open things up in play action and take some shots down the field. The LW DBs are really good, and I'd like to see if they can run stride for stride with Re.

Likewise if West is able to run the ball on Elder, they'll be able to control time of possession and force Elder into obvious passing situations which isn't their strength.

Elder has held their own in terms of team speed against the likes of Pick Central, St Edward, and LaSalle but they really struggled against Moeller's speed. These two teams also scrimmage in early August, and I believe West bested Elder 7-6 on that day. Obviously both teams have changed and grown since then, but there is a little familiarity.

I see an absolute slugfest of a game. If either team scores 20, I think they win. Probably a 17-14 or 21-17 type of game. Field position and turnovers will be huge.

Lol, Riverboyyy will pick Springfield even in a game that doesn’t involve them. Guys a first class 🤡. Springfield will beat them all,LMAO!
You're one to talk about commenting on games that "doesn't involve" you. That constitutes the majority of your postings.

Attachments

• 3186312.jpg
    3186312.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
This game, as many others this time of year come down to the play along the LOS. If Elder is able to run the ball, they'll be able to open things up in play action and take some shots down the field. The LW DBs are really good, and I'd like to see if they can run stride for stride with Re.

Minnich can. I don't think he will ever be 1 on 1 with Re, but he will have over the top help as Free Safety.

Elder defense is faster than most will give credit for. Yes, they are all white in the secondary and at LB, but a lot of them run track and improved their speed. They aren't slow kids. They are also football fast based on instincts and being well prepared. Sometimes football fast > track speed.

For those commenting on strength of schedule, I think a better barometer is how the teams have faired in close games. Are they battle tested in that regard?

West has made deep playoff runs the past 3 seasons (that's including this season). They've played a tough Week 1 opponent in St X each year and had at least one GMC game that's made them nervous, Fairfield this year. They know how to win this time of year. They're the more experienced team.

Elder has made the playoffs the past couple seasons and played in tough, tight games throughout this season, but they haven't been in this type of game really since the State Runner-up team. We'll see how they react and play in the moment. I don't think it'll be too big for them or anything like that, but certainly their inexperience favors West.

Over half of the tickets available for this game have been sold already. This is trending to a sell out. Elder-Lakota West will be televised by Spectrum. This game will be available to purchase to stream through OHSAA. Spectrum customers can stream for free. Elder and Lakota West would not be allowed to stream the game live.

Last edited: