Week 8 Thursday night 4-3 East vs 3-4 Buchtel

A Thursday night city series special at Akron Ellet Orange Bowl!! Hopefully a great game between the west side Buchtel Griffins and the East side East Orientals!! I know they are called dragons now, but to me will always be East High Orientals as my dad's 1935 ring is imprinted.

A Thursday night city series special at Akron Ellet Orange Bowl!! Hopefully a great game between the west side Buchtel Griffins and the East side East Orientals!! I know they are called dragons now, but to me will always be East High Orientals as my dad's 1935 ring is imprinted.
Yes should be a good game but they two teams don’t like each other might be lil chippy but hope it a good game overall tho

Wow. Probably most were early Buchtel days and recently before East revived their program. I remember the 60's 70's when the city series was Akron Garfield, East and Kenmore. Buchtel, South, North and to some extent Ellet and Firestone were bottom.

Wow. Probably most were early Buchtel days and recently before East revived their program. I remember the 60's 70's when the city series was Akron Garfield, East and Kenmore. Buchtel, South, North and to some extent Ellet and Firestone were bottom.
Yeah from 1987 to present The Griffs were so dominant in the series that when East did win the following was hanging in East office for at least a year, granted some of that time the building was empty due to the pandemic, but you get the gist.
1664812599763.jpeg

Yeah from 1987 to present The Griffs were so dominant in the series that when East did win the following was hanging in East office for at least a year, granted some of that time the building was empty due to the pandemic, but you get the gist.
View attachment 34411
For me I think that this has grown into a really fun rivalry that has extended across almost all sports and it makes both teams "get up" for another City Game. I love it, I have great respect for what Buchtel has done as a program and continues to do, all we can do is hope for another great matchup on Thursday!

For me I think that this has grown into a really fun rivalry that has extended across almost all sports and it makes both teams "get up" for another City Game. I love it, I have great respect for what Buchtel has done as a program and continues to do, all we can do is hope for another great matchup on Thursday!
It has been pretty interesting the last few years. East gave the Griffs their first loss ever at Infocision Stadium in 2017 (Infocision opened in 2009), oh that one hurt!!

Speaking of other sports if the East basketball coach selects the same bracket as Buchtel for a 3rd straight year in the OHSAA playoffs after losing to them in the regular season 3 times (twice regular season, once league playoff/championship) each year, he should have to explain his decision to the APS Athletic Director and APS Superintendent!

Let's hope that none of the animosity from last season's basketball game carries over to this one.
I hope not neither I hope they wear the shirt like they did on Saturday we remember nice chilly game should be a good one I wish you put this game on pick ‘‘em for the week

In my opinion, APS had it in for East and did not promote from within Dom Patella's staff in 1981. For over a decade before that, Patella assistants went on to establish themselves like Coach Marshall at Firestone and Coach Tim Flossie at Central Hower. Former East player Mike Buckner brought Buchtel into the conversation starting in 71 or 72. For God knows what reason George Shadie was brought in to coach East. A good man for sure, he coached Annunciation CYO jv team in early 60's. Head coach at South a couple years but not part of the East High legacy coaches from Coach Warren Vannorsdall (won first championship in 1926) to Coach Lou Smith to Coach Mike Krino to Coach Dominic Patella. Nothing but top coaches from 1924 to 1980 who came from previous coaches staff. Only from 1936 to 1941 a non East man became coach. That man was Fritz Ongley, who blocked for Red Grange at Illinois.
The point is, why would APS abandon East High football for a whole decade while its feeder system won big consistently and yet with sham "choice" allowed top athletes leave the district. East always had a big following. Some of the largest crowds at the Rubber Bowl involved East teams. Thank God Coach Hayes arrived at the right time. I might be wrong but I believe Coach Hayes won the Akron U Mike Krino award for football excellence......sort of pre ordained in a way. GO EAST!

In my opinion, APS had it in for East and did not promote from within Dom Patella's staff in 1981. For over a decade before that, Patella assistants went on to establish themselves like Coach Marshall at Firestone and Coach Tim Flossie at Central Hower. Former East player Mike Buckner brought Buchtel into the conversation starting in 71 or 72. For God knows what reason George Shadie was brought in to coach East. A good man for sure, he coached Annunciation CYO jv team in early 60's. Head coach at South a couple years but not part of the East High legacy coaches from Coach Warren Vannorsdall (won first championship in 1926) to Coach Lou Smith to Coach Mike Krino to Coach Dominic Patella. Nothing but top coaches from 1924 to 1980 who came from previous coaches staff. Only from 1936 to 1941 a non East man became coach. That man was Fritz Ongley, who blocked for Red Grange at Illinois.
The point is, why would APS abandon East High football for a whole decade while its feeder system won big consistently and yet with sham "choice" allowed top athletes leave the district. East always had a big following. Some of the largest crowds at the Rubber Bowl involved East teams. Thank God Coach Hayes arrived at the right time. I might be wrong but I believe Coach Hayes won the Akron U Mike Krino award for football excellence......sort of pre ordained in a way. GO EAST!
I enjoy your knowledge of the local high school football history.

In my opinion, APS had it in for East and did not promote from within Dom Patella's staff in 1981.
1981 wasn't long before they started shipping/bussing a chunk of their kids out of the neighborhood around Arlington, Chittenden and 2nd st to attend Ellet. Similar to what they did to Buchtel with kids from Noble, Madison and Storer ave area off of Copley rd.

I remember being at the Highland Theater in the late 70's and Mike Buckner having the entire Buchtel team in there for a movie.

Did the Griffs play in a Thanksgiving Day championship around then? I believe it was the night before a big game.

East and Buchtel played back to back Turkey Day games in 1975 and 1976. East won in 75 and Buchtel in 76. Both close games and pretty nippy damp and cold from what I remember. Ironically, Buchtel played East in 1955 game and in 1958. One ended in a tie and the other East won. Those were the appearances in the championship for Buchtel before the Coach Tim Flossie years.

I enjoy your knowledge of the local high school football history.
Thanks, during covid got bored and created a spread sheet of East football, every game by date location and name of fields. That did not take long, so I expanded it to city series standings and playoff records along with St V, St Mary and Hoban. Should have set it up as a pivot table...but thats another project!

Justin Cox, East​

Cox completed 12 of 15 passes for 169 yards and two touchdowns, and also ran for 30 yards and a TD on four carries in a 56-12 victory over Firestone.

Stevie Diamond, Buchtel​

Diamond completed 7 of 10 passes for 150 yards and four touchdowns - two to Marcel Boyce Jr. - in a 47-0 win over Garfield.

DB's better be ready!!

Ok. I bought a ticket and can't attend on Saturday....so am I out my $? If so, one more reason online tickets blow!! Will never again do online ticket especially with AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!

Sounds like an issue that happened today during a funeral of a former East high student and they are worried about a potential retaliation during the game tonight and fear they won’t have enough security present.

I suspected it might be something along those lines.
Ok. I bought a ticket and can't attend on Saturday....so am I out my $? If so, one more reason online tickets blow!! Will never again do online ticket especially with AKRON PUBLIC SCHOOLS!!

Send me your phone and I will use the ticket Saturday!