Covington cancels game in 2022

Your arrogance is what’s comical.
There is a more than 90% chance that I could have been more diplomatic in my response. With that being said, I’m not the one proposing that other schools should consolidate simply because I think they are too small. That’s their call, because it’s their money and their school. Imagine someone from, say, Centerville thinking your school is too small and it should consolidate with another district?

I would love to see Ohio allow co -ops.
Covington, Bradford, and Newton don't have to be one high school to field one football team between them.

Co-ops seem to work over the border in PA. I know North Clarion, Clarion Limestone and Clarion all co op to provide football since North Clarion and Limestone became too small or never actually fielded a team.

These debates are always comical to me. People always seem to know what’s best for other schools and what they should do differently, but their own schools are fine 🤣
Thats interesting because the people who stop the merging or try to stonewall other things when needed usually don’t know what’s best for schools either.
I’ve fought these battles for 20 years and can tell you the outside voice is almost always the winner on a number of related things.
Most times the inward voice is light years behind because of this mentality.

Thats interesting because the people who stop the merging or try to stonewall other things when needed usually don’t know what’s best for schools either.
I’ve fought these battles for 20 years and can tell you the outside voice is almost always the winner on a number of related things.
Most times the inward voice is light years behind because of this mentality.
Even assuming you're on point on all of this, the locals have the most skin in the game and should make the calls for THEIR children.

There is a more than 90% chance that I could have been more diplomatic in my response. With that being said, I’m not the one proposing that other schools should consolidate simply because I think they are too small. That’s their call, because it’s their money and their school. Imagine someone from, say, Centerville thinking your school is too small and it should consolidate with another district?
I think you made good points. We often want to impose our interest and desires on other people as we know what is best for them.

It’s simply an opinion. Talking point. I never “proposed” anything. But I appreciate you putting such importance on my opinion. If Centerville felt that way, all the more power. It inevitably comes down to laws. We are a country of laws.

To me it's not the coach, it's the kids just not wanting to come out and play. Last best coach Covington had was Dave Miller and he was a tough nosed football coach and was awesome.

Cates just wasn't a good hire. Record looks good but he had talent. He really can't coach. He was to worried about being there best friend and not there coach. He knew what was coming and left.

Covington will be back but it might take a couple of years. Coach Morgan is doing good with what he has. Right now they just have to many injuries to compete. Maybe 13 that is able to practice. It's unfortunate but it's life.

no one can convince me that Cates was a bad coach. so what if he valued building relationships with his players? that’s a great thing. players are more likely to do anything and everything a coach asks of them if they know that they care about them as a person.

Coaching is like being a parent. Kids need a parent and not a best friend. When you coach, there needs to be discipline and when you're focused on being best friends, there is no discipline. That's what I was saying

When you watch him actually watch him coach, you would see him being out coached. I was saying he's no comparison to coach Miller. It was a drop off.

no one can convince me that Cates was a bad coach. so what if he valued building relationships with his players? that’s a great thing. players are more likely to do anything and everything a coach asks of them if they know that they care about them as a person.
There is something to be said for this. My son LOVES his coaches, and he knows his coaches love him. With that love comes respect and lots of “yes sirs”. And like you said, my son would sprint though a brick wall if his coach told him to because he has that love and respect for him.

My grandson plays for Cates at Butler and I can tell you that he doesn’t look at him as a friend but a mentor. I had a varsity coach that was more of a Boot Camp Sgt and I didn’t care for him. He was anything but a mentor. Unapproachable was the best way to describe him. Cates is working at Butler and given time, he will be successful.

It has to be the coach, it's his job to make them successful regardless of the situation. Maybe the kids are soft and they don't like to be coached hard, but A coach has to figure out how to deal with that. At a small school 75% of the job is getting as many kids to play as possible. If you want to be a hard @$$ and start the season with 20 kids you are asking for trouble.

ALSO, Covington isn't a bad community at all. But it is NOT Minster, it is naive to expect the average kid to respond the same way that kids from Minster do. Minster is not "Normal", kids there are over whelming coming from 2 parent homes, with college degrees, and are pushed to excel more. It is why the MAC is the way it is. That's not normal, that's not Covington.

And lastly 95% of successful coaches or great at building relationships with their players that lets them demand more from them than they think is possible. I am not in the building or even associated with Covington, but from an outsiders perspective he appears to have an issue building relationships with kids and getting them to go through any sort of hardship and play.

It has to be the coach, it's his job to make them successful regardless of the situation. Maybe the kids are soft and they don't like to be coached hard, but A coach has to figure out how to deal with that. At a small school 75% of the job is getting as many kids to play as possible. If you want to be a hard @$$ and start the season with 20 kids you are asking for trouble.

ALSO, Covington isn't a bad community at all. But it is NOT Minster, it is naive to expect the average kid to respond the same way that kids from Minster do. Minster is not "Normal", kids there are over whelming coming from 2 parent homes, with college degrees, and are pushed to excel more. It is why the MAC is the way it is. That's not normal, that's not Covington.

And lastly 95% of successful coaches or great at building relationships with their players that lets them demand more from them than they think is possible. I am not in the building or even associated with Covington, but from an outsiders perspective he appears to have an issue building relationships with kids and getting them to go through any sort of hardship and play.
I really think you hit the nail. Covington is not a MAC-type school. There are wonderful families there and the community is close-knit, but there are also families that do not support the kids. I believe 75% or better support in the MAC communities. Catholicism and Lutheranism build very strong communities with large families. My wife’s family is from Coldwater and they are VERY close-knit and hard working. The kids are raised to respect, work hard and take pride.

There is something to be said for this. My son LOVES his coaches, and he knows his coaches love him. With that love comes respect and lots of “yes sirs”. And like you said, my son would sprint though a brick wall if his coach told him to because he has that love and respect for him.
This is truly what's important as a coach. You can coach them hard if they know you care about them. The players respect you and want to perform for you. If they know you ultimately don't care, they won't commit to what you want them to do.

Milton went through several coaches between 1984 and 2000 that didn’t create the culture. Tony Sergent who coached in 95-96, started the rebuild at MU. Pearce was the guy who made it all happen though. He connected with the kids and walked the halls of the high school, which was huge. Adams, Christello, Engle all failed to do that. It showed in their results. Magoteaux benefited from the culture in place when he took over and Farrar was the old general. Any successful coach makes you want to work hard for them. A coach is also an educator and many coaches lose sight of that. I think Niswonger had that rapport with the kids. I think Nees has done a great job over 30+ years.

Bring back Gettysburg High School.
You mean this guy?
1663859896123.png

Parents know what's best for their children. Few know how to adequately run a school district, enact policy, manage finances, or make administrative decisions including the possibility of consolidation. The pride of a community has a cost, often an expensive one, and many are unwilling to pay for it.

Sometimes, the desire to maintain tradition is trumped by the cost of it. And when the bills have to be paid, parents dont want to pony up the funds in most cases.

County consolidation in other states is a direct result of this situation. If parents know best, they know what happens at home is far more critical than what happens in school, and they can certainly make that decision in the best interest of their kids to make a change if needed.

Parents know what's best for their children. Few know how to adequately run a school district, enact policy, manage finances, or make administrative decisions including the possibility of consolidation. The pride of a community has a cost, often an expensive one, and many are unwilling to pay for it.

Sometimes, the desire to maintain tradition is trumped by the cost of it. And when the bills have to be paid, parents dont want to pony up the funds in most cases.

County consolidation in other states is a direct result of this situation. If parents know best, they know what happens at home is far more critical than what happens in school, and they can certainly make that decision in the best interest of their kids to make a change if needed.
I think parents, while mostly not capable of running a school district, are fully capable of explaining their wants and needs to those who are capable. After all, they collectively are the boss, not the hired administrators.

I think parents, while mostly not capable of running a school district, are fully capable of explaining their wants and needs to those who are capable. After all, they collectively are the boss, not the hired administrators.
I'm the boss of the fire chief too since he's a government employee, and I know what's best for the safety of my house, but I dont know diddly about what they need in a mutual aid agreement to save costs and improve efficiency, response times, or the well-being of the community.

My point was that the needs and wants are often for the sake of tradition, what they experienced, "that's the way we've always done it," etc. Those are prideful but can be costly in these cases.

My point was that the needs and wants are often for the sake of tradition, what they experienced, "that's the way we've always done it," etc. Those are prideful but can be costly in these cases.
Perhaps, but I've seen little evidence that these are the factors that lead to poor performance by school districts. I've seen far more issues with a lack or parental involvement.