Galion

I haven't taken a team to Galion in several years and was surprised to see there were only 11 teams in the DI race. It seems like there used to be two DI varsity races because there were so many teams. What gives? Why the dropoff?

Just spitballing here:

1) Not a lot of DI teams in that part of the state. If it's not going to be a site for one of your rounds of the postseason, then there's less reason to make the trip. On that note, some of the teams in the western part of the NE District probably feel it's more important to get on Boardman's course this weekend after the OHSAA made the change a few years ago to send all teams in the NE to Boardman for regionals.

2) The DI races were held very late in the day. That's not too attractive when hot weather is still a possibility. Also, there might be a few schools out there that have Homecoming festivities this weekend, so a late afternoon race is a "no go." Not sure how Tiffin gets away with it, but they do. However, most coaches probably don't want to run at that time of day 2 weeks in a row, especially if there's less chance of seeing competition.

3) So many other options this weekend. I already alluded to the fact that Boardman is this same weekend, and many DIs have a vested interest in going there.

4) I've heard from some people that the meet isn't necessarily well run, but I have no idea if that is true.

5) Internet has changed things. Galion seemed to be a good place in the past for teams from the NE, Central, and even Southwest District to go "hide" for a week. There's no place to hide anymore.

Last edited:
Just spitballing here:

1) Not a lot of DI teams in that part of the state. If it's not going to be a site for one of your rounds of the postseason, then there's less reason to make the trip. On that note, some of the teams in the western part of the NE District probably feel it's more important to get on Boardman's course this weekend after the OHSAA made the change a few years ago to send all teams in the NE to Boardman for regionals.

2) The DI races were held very late in the day. That's not too attractive when hot weather is still a possibility. Also, there might be a few schools out there that have Homecoming festivities this weekend, so a late afternoon race is a "no go." Not sure how Tiffin gets away with it, but they do. However, most coaches probably don't want to run at that time of day 2 weeks in a row, especially if there's less chance of seeing competition.

3) So many other options this weekend. I already alluded to the fact that Boardman is this same weekend, and many DIs have a vested interest in going there.

4) I've heard from some people that the meet isn't necessarily well run, but I have no idea if that is true.

5) Internet has changed things. Galion seemed to be a good place in the past for teams from the NE, Central, and even Southwest District to go "hide" for a week. There's no place to hide anymore.
I would say that all of these that you mentioned have truth to them. The biggest reason that the DI race is small is probably that Galion no longer hosts a DI district.