USC, UCLA looking to leave Pac-12 for Big Ten in 2024, though deal not yet finalized

Yappi

Go Buckeyes
Pac-12 powerhouses USC and UCLA are involved in discussions to leave the conference for the Big Ten as early as the 2024 athletic season, sources tell CBS Sports' Matt Norlander. Though the move is not yet final and still in the discussion stages, it appears as if the Big Ten is aiming to make a significant acquisition that will change the college sports landscape.

"Everything is on the table," a Pac-12 source tells Norlander.

The transition of USC and UCLA to the Big Ten would be similar to the one that rocked college sports last summer when Texas and Oklahoma opted to leave the Big 12 for the SEC, a move set to transpire ahead of the 2025 season.

If USC & UCLA head to the B1G as being rumored the idea of geography playing any part in conference alignment will officially be dead. Yes the Big 12 had West Va and Missouri is in the "South" East Conference but if USC & UCLA do join the B1G we are talking about a conference that truly spans coast to coast. Again nothing official has been announced but there was a lot of chatter going on behind the scenes. The B1G now would control the 3 big media markets, (NYC, LA, & Chicago) and basically be a coast to coast league.

I can see in the next couple years there will be two conferences, the SEC & the B1G. The better colleges will be sliced up and the lesser will get pushed aside. Buckle up NCAA football fans.

My guess is the other big names/markets of the PAC 12 are next. Oregon (Nike) & Washington (Seattle Market) probably make the most sense with possibly Stanford and or Cal to bring in the Bay Area. Maybe the SEC looks at the AZ schools as Phoenix is a growing market? Also the ACC is probably gonzo with Clemson and the Florida schools moving over to the B1G and UNC probably begging the B1G to let them in and if this is the case ND then moves over to the B1G.

By the way the each PAC 12 school will be getting a little less than $20 million next year in their media rights pay out. In 2024 the B1G will be paying out over $100 million. I think USC & UCLA will find a way to work out the travel challenges.

My guess is the other big names/markets of the PAC 12 are next. Oregon (Nike) & Washington (Seattle Market) probably make the most sense with possibly Stanford and or Cal to bring in the Bay Area. Maybe the SEC looks at the AZ schools as Phoenix is a growing market? Also the ACC is probably gonzo with Clemson and the Florida schools moving over to the B1G and UNC probably begging the B1G to let them in and if this is the case ND then moves over to the B1G.

By the way the each PAC 12 school will be getting a little less than $20 million next year in their media rights pay out. In 2024 the B1G will be paying out over $100 million. I think USC & UCLA will find a way to work out the travel challenges.
Acc has a stupid GOR until 2036. I hope it happens but I'll believe it when I see it on teams breaking that. FSU and Clemson need to get out

I imagine Oregon and others end up in the Big12.

Pete Thamel calling it a formality. Wild how it went essentially silent to wildfire rumor to confirmed within a couple hours. Will be really interesting to see the fall out - does the Big 12 and PAC 12 combine? Does the Big 12 raid the basketball rich school and leave the rest? Does the SEC and Big 10 poach additional schools from the ACC?

Its Happening Ron Paul GIF

Pete Thamel calling it a formality. Wild how it went essentially silent to wildfire rumor to confirmed within a couple hours. Will be really interesting to see the fall out - does the Big 12 and PAC 12 combine? Does the Big 12 raid the basketball rich school and leave the rest? Does the SEC and Big 10 poach additional schools from the ACC?
Hopefully on your last sentence bro....

Short of decimating the whole acc , I don't see how the GOR can be broken for just some. It has 15 more years on it through 2036

This is awful for college football and more importantly the conferences. It really bothers me how these schools just chase the money. USC and UCLA do not have any money issues, and they leave the conference, and really put the other teams in a difficult spot moving forward. Many Pac-12 schools struggle financially and USC and UCLA are the anchor programs who keep the conference afloat. It would be like Ohio State and Michigan leaving the big ten.
My guess is in another few years, you may see two divisions of college football, maybe a 50-60 team division and the rest in another division.

My feeling is that it will eventually land at 2 super conferences: BIG10 & SEC. The travel budgets for those West Coast Schools are going to be ridiculous. Lol. Also, those Cali teams better get ready for that 9AM Big Noon kickoff on Fox. ?

My guess is in another few years, you may see two divisions of college football, maybe a 50-60 team division and the rest in another division.
I think something loosely along the lines of this is moving now, with the "haves" eventually consolidating under the Big Ten and SEC umbrellas, respectively. I think those two leagues eventually have at least 40 schools combined, and perhaps closer to 50.

My feeling is that it will eventually land at 2 super conferences: BIG10 & SEC. The travel budgets for those West Coast Schools are going to be ridiculous. Lol. Also, those Cali teams better get ready for that 9AM Big Noon kickoff on Fox. ?
Lol. I think they are going to have a ton of home games that are primetime EST.

The biggest factor IMO in this move and any additional moves is making sure the Big Ten has "big brands" to fill noon, mid-afternoon and primetime slots every Saturday during football season.

I can see the B1G setting up regional divisions and bringing in more Pac 12 schools along with some key schools from other footprints.
This is awful for college football and more importantly the conferences. It really bothers me how these schools just chase the money. USC and UCLA deso not have any money issues, and they leave the conference, and really put the other teams in a difficult spot moving forward. Many Pac-12 schools struggle financially and USC and UCLA are the anchor programs who keep the conference afloat. It would be like Ohio State and Michigan leaving the big ten.
The above is an incorrect statement. UCLA is bleeding $s in their Athletic Department, they have to pay rent to the Rose Bowl for football games and Pauley Pavilion is an outdated arena that doesn't provide much in revenue streams. UCLA lost $62.5 million LY on sports:

https://www.themightybruin.com/p/ucla-athletics-posts-huge-loss-for-2021#:~:text=The Athletic Department has now,$100 million over three years.&text=After incurring a budget deficit,Pac-12 columnist Jon Wilner.

USC is private so their figures are not public but many specualte they are not doing well for similar reasons, renting a facility to play football games and not a great hoops arena.

Maybe if the big 10 takes more schools from the pac. If not I'd say the pac can take from the big 12. And so can the acc
The BIG is all about TV market ratings: LA, Chicago, NY, Baltimore - Philadelphia - DC. That's why Rutgers and Maryland were added. Other than Miami, Clemson ( more of a national appeal) ND ( obviously ), maybe Houston, I don't see BIG adding any program that does not bring TV viewership.

crazy. Had no idea this was possible. Truly thought they'd stick to state schools in bordering states. But like others have said upthread, adding Missouri and Kansas does not bring the expanded markets they crave.

This is awful for college football and more importantly the conferences. It really bothers me how these schools just chase the money. USC and UCLA do not have any money issues, and they leave the conference, and really put the other teams in a difficult spot moving forward. Many Pac-12 schools struggle financially and USC and UCLA are the anchor programs who keep the conference afloat. It would be like Ohio State and Michigan leaving the big ten.
With Oklahoma and Texas leaving, the Big 12 became an after thought. The SEC forced this. The ACC needs to follow suit but it is getting to the point of slim pickings for blue bloods.

With Oklahoma and Texas leaving, the Big 12 became an after thought. The SEC forced this. The ACC needs to follow suit but it is getting to the point of slim pickings for blue bloods.
BIG is not intrerested in blue bloods. Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA (football) are not blue bloods, with the BIG it is about eye balls and if the BIG expands more it will be into markets that have just that viewers. The markets that the BIG could go after are Atlanta, Houston, San Fran, Dallas - Fort Worth, Miami, maybe Seattle.

BIG is not intrerested in blue bloods. Rutgers, Maryland, UCLA (football) are not blue bloods, with the BIG it is about eye balls and if the BIG expands more it will be into markets that have just that viewers. The markets that the BIG could go after are Atlanta, Houston, San Fran, Dallas - Fort Worth, Miami, maybe Seattle.
UCLA and USC have been the bell cows of the Pac. Rutgers and Maryland never have had or will have the name brand of USC and UCLA. USC especially could rise again to prominence. Keeping USC and UCLA together makes sense. If they are at 16 when USC and UCLa enter league play who gets moved from the West? I think Purdue would make the most sense.