Northwest Ohio Realignment

Shortsighted = Inviting a new school the same size as the school you remove, kicking out said school before the new school joins, removing the most centrally located school, keeping the smallest school that doesn't field JV teams and will soon not field a varsity football team
If the way LB runs their open enrollment and the new indoor practice field were too much for the other BVC schools, fine kick them out. BUT why not play a couple of seasons with Elmwood to see how they balance out the league or kindly ask Vanlue to kick rocks and bring in a replacement for them to stabilize the league? That is why I think its short sighted
Kind of like the NLL being stuck with 11 schools, it will hurt them in the end

Shortsighted = Inviting a new school the same size as the school you remove, kicking out said school before the new school joins, removing the most centrally located school, keeping the smallest school that doesn't field JV teams and will soon not field a varsity football team
If the way LB runs their open enrollment and the new indoor practice field were too much for the other BVC schools, fine kick them out. BUT why not play a couple of seasons with Elmwood to see how they balance out the league or kindly ask Vanlue to kick rocks and bring in a replacement for them to stabilize the league? That is why I think its short sighted
Kind of like the NLL being stuck with 11 schools, it will hurt them in the end
The press release said it was their decision. The league didn't kick anyone out. Interesting.

I think we both know that was PR, the BVC only plays a single round of games in all sports, so LB can schedule 12ish nonconference games in basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball ect.
If they want to up their schedule they can without leaving a league they founded

In my opinion.... LB pushed the CR and NB ultimatum to speed up the process of slow death, knowing full well that Vanlue and Arcadia football are/will wither on the vine quicker , while assuring the rest of the league that inviting in Elmwood would satisfy them.
However after all that (to my understanding) they then tried to bully in an additional (not Elmwood) member. In the mean time the rest of the league came to realize that the smallest of the remaining members would eventually be pushed out over time just the same, leaving LB with a "brand new BVC" with out having been the villain.
If the rest of the league would have recognized this sooner I believe Elmwood would never been invited and LB would have been asked to leave.
I highly doubt Elmwood stays long if they even move at all.

In my opinion.... LB pushed the CR and NB ultimatum to speed up the process of slow death, knowing full well that Vanlue and Arcadia football are/will wither on the vine quicker , while assuring the rest of the league that inviting in Elmwood would satisfy them.
However after all that (to my understanding) they then tried to bully in an additional (not Elmwood) member. In the mean time the rest of the league came to realize that the smallest of the remaining members would eventually be pushed out over time just the same, leaving LB with a "brand new BVC" with out having been the villain.
If the rest of the league would have recognized this sooner I believe Elmwood would never been invited and LB would have been asked to leave.
If this is true, this is not fair to Elmwood at all. Especially, if they did not know of this was going to happen. If that would've been the case, would Elmwood still made the move?

Last edited:
That's pretty juicy, any hints as to who LB pushed for?
Guesses: PH, Fostoria, Ostego,
Those are pretty bad guesses, just not sure who would be close enough that LB would "want"

That's pretty juicy, any hints as to who LB pushed for?
Guesses: PH, Fostoria, Ostego,
Those are pretty bad guesses, just not sure who would be close enough that LB would "want"

PH is far closer to PG/CR/Arlington size than LB size. IF they wanted to leave the NWOAL I highly doubt the small BVC schools would have a single problem with them joining.

Fostoria would be interesting. They're not exactly competitive anymore and still shrinking. I think they would have fit well in a BVC with LB, Elmwood, and Van Buren while giving the NBC a chance to shed their dead weight.

In sports with invites with many schools such as track they will but not in any team sports. Will not attended each other invites in those type of sports. Over 5 years ago Findlay and LB would take turns hosting each other in an early season Duel/Tri track meet but that has stopped. I believe they also used to play at JV level (Findlay freshman Vs LB JV) in a few team sports also. My understanding is Findlay AD was unhappy about LB taking so many athletics or the school board over losing so many students told him to stop scheduling or maybe both.

Findlay has nothing to gain by playing L-B in sports and everything to lose. I think both parties understand that. Just because you're close doesnt mean its a good matchup. St. Francis and Ottawa Hills don't play each other in anything for good reason.

Findlay has nothing to gain by playing L-B in sports and everything to lose. I think both parties understand that. Just because you're close doesnt mean its a good matchup. St. Francis and Ottawa Hills don't play each other in anything for good reason.
I agree about 90%, but at the end of the day when making a schedule for a HS team location and competition should be the top priorities. If LB, or any Hancock county school, can offer that, Findlay would be crazy not to schedule that. Parents can come to the games more easily and the gate would be nice. Outside of girls' sports Findlay would kill LB in varsity sports as well, plus even might OSU plays BGSU on occasion lol

I agree about 90%, but at the end of the day when making a schedule for a HS team location and competition should be the top priorities. If LB, or any Hancock county school, can offer that, Findlay would be crazy not to schedule that. Parents can come to the games more easily and the gate would be nice. Outside of girls' sports Findlay would kill LB in varsity sports as well, plus even might OSU plays BGSU on occasion
BGSU gets a lot of money to do that.

you make good points, only thing though SF and Ottawa Hills played last week in baseball, and I believe do play each other in soccer every year too.

I agree about 90%, but at the end of the day when making a schedule for a HS team location and competition should be the top priorities. If LB, or any Hancock county school, can offer that, Findlay would be crazy not to schedule that. Parents can come to the games more easily and the gate would be nice. Outside of girls' sports Findlay would kill LB in varsity sports as well, plus even might OSU plays BGSU on occasion lol
If I was LB, I wouldn’t play Findlay in the money sports. However, all of the others would be fine.

BGSU gets a lot of money to do that.
Correct but, OSU is not concerned about BGSU winning and stealing their recruits. Even IF, BGSU could pull an upset once, would it really change where those school stand in the world of college football = No
Is Findlay really scared that if LB wins they will get more open enrollment kids, and Findlay athletics will wither into obscurity? If so, then LB is living rent free in far too many people's heads

And why would it have been better for Kenton to leave the WBL instead of Defiance?
1653146214953.png

Because I've never heard anyone in the WBL say anything nice at all about Kenton
I just never could figure out why others always wanted Kenton out of the WBL. Was this hate talk prior Mauk? (and trust me, I am/was not a Mauk fan at all, but will give him credit for helping a lot of athletes get a college education) or was it after he made them a powerhouse his coaching years? It cant be the distance argument since Kenton is closer to the majority of the WBL schools than Defiance, so it must be the hate. Just dont understand it. And believe me when I say I know Kenton and know how the town is. I just dont think it merits all the hate

Last edited:
Not liking Kenton is not necessarily the same thing as wanting Kenton out of the WBL. Folks on Yappi can't resist talking about conference realignment.... 182 pages of it. The WBL has been brought up numerous times despite being an incredibly stable conference. There's no harm in that discussion, but if folks are going to talk about it then they're going to primarily talk about Defiance as the geographic outlier and Kenton as a slight outlier, but also not a very well liked team in general. Personally, I've always liked Defiance - their fans, facilities, etc. Plus, Defiance has been in the league for 50 years; clearly travel isn't an issue. As for Kenton, my own experience really is around the Mauk era of football. Their style of play, their arrogance, their lack of sportsmanship combined with the deer incident. They are a difficult team to like. With that said, I've still generally rooted for them in playoffs and even though I don't like them, I don't want to see them leave the WBL at this time. Wouldn't be heartbroken over it, but not actively rooting for it. To some degree, I think Kenton leaving the WBL is also just a long running joke and serves as trolling radio dave. He used to (maybe still does) write articles every year about Kenton being in last place in the WBL All Sports Trophy standings and how their entire athletic department wasn't on par with the WBL. So he continuously wrote about kicking Kenton to the curb even though that is inconsistent with reality. Kenton has been a member of the WBL for 80 years. And even at that, they're only the 5th oldest league member.

So in short, folks just don't like Kenton and folks also love talking about conference realignment. These two things are being conflated even though there's no actual activity around Kenton leaving or being removed from the WBL.

I just never could figure out why others always wanted Kenton out of the WBL. Was this hate talk prior Mauk? (and trust me, I am/was not a Mauk fan at all, but will give him credit for helping a lot of athletes get a college education) or was it after he made them a powerhouse his coaching years? It cant be the distance argument since Kenton is closer to the majority of the WBL schools than Defiance, so it must be the hate. Just dont understand it. And believe me say I know Kenton and now how that town is. I just dont think it merits all the hate
Radio Dave started it. neener neener.