2024 Pittsburgh Steelers

By all reports that I have read the Steelers will take Liberty qb Malik Willis if he is available at the 20th pick in the 1st rd. I doubt if Willis is available at 20; I would think Carolina at 6, Atlanta at 8 and Seattle at 9 are all possibilities for Willis. Carolina and Pit qb Kenny Pickett are considered a possibility because the Carolina head coach recruited Pickett to Temple. However, the coach moved onto Baylor & Pickett decommitted from Temple & went to Pitt. As long as the Steelers do not trade up, I would be ok with either Willis or Pickett at 20. I’d prefer a wr, dt or perhaps the cb from LSU. A trade back to pick up a pick or two would be nice also.

Interesting story on Western Michigan wr Skyy Moore. He is from the Pittsburgh area and played qb in high school. A wr on Moore’s hs team - Tomlin’s son. Moore is projected as a late 1st, early 2nd rd pick.

Willis likely won’t be there at 20 so it’s probably a moot point but don’t like the Steelers picking Willis or actually any QB in R1. They have too many others holes to fill and any rookie QB likely won’t see the field. From what I’ve heard the QB class next season is better and the Steelers should have a good idea if Tributsky is the guy by then. Also there’s is good chance the Steelers will be picking lower then #20 next April (I hope I’m wrong) CB, Wr, OL, DL is the ticket. I could see Tomlin taking Skyy Moore in the 2nd.

Willis likely won’t be there at 20 so it’s probably a moot point but don’t like the Steelers picking Willis or actually any QB in R1. They have too many others holes to fill and any rookie QB likely won’t see the field. From what I’ve heard the QB class next season is better and the Steelers should have a good idea if Tributsky is the guy by then. Also there’s is good chance the Steelers will be picking lower then #20 next April (I hope I’m wrong) CB, Wr, OL, DL is the ticket. I could see Tomlin taking Skyy Moore in the 2nd.
Agree but if Ridder is there I don't think you can pass up on him. He is by far the best QB in the draft.

Agree but if Ridder is there I don't think you can pass up on him. He is by far the best QB in the draft.
Your opinion but I disagree. I’ve seen most every game since Ridder became a starter. My daughter is a recent UC athlete and knows Desmond. She says he’s a nice guy so no animosity on my part. I think he’ll be a lifetime backup in the NFL..from what I’ve seen he doesn’t process quickly and his throws are sometimes erratic. I wish him the best if he could be had in the 4th round I might be interested. But I’m not a NFL scout so what do I know.?

According to this scouting report, he's #6.

Your opinion but I disagree. I’ve seen most every game since Ridder became a starter. My daughter is a recent UC athlete and knows Desmond. She says he’s a nice guy so no animosity on my part. I think he’ll be a lifetime backup in the NFL..from what I’ve seen he doesn’t process quickly and his throws are sometimes erratic. I wish him the best if he could be had in the 4th round I might be interested. But I’m not a NFL scout so what do I know.?
Wow, what sport did your daughter play at UC?

Last edited:
If you have seen every game, the stats/numbers don't lie. 44-5 in 4 years, 26-0 at home? Stats through the roof, proven winner, played better then given credit for against Alabama. Lifetime backup is absolute blasphemy, he could start for us in his first year. If I had to take a wild guess you sit in front of your TV with pizza and beer and heckle any QB in the NFL besides Big Ben. You clearly know very close to nothing, you are for sure not an NFL scout.

Warriors - You may be 100% correct but the 44-5 record and 26-0 at home wasn’t solely because of Ridder. In this draft alone UC has a projected Top 10 cb, a 2nd-3rd round outside lb and wr, a 4th rd cb and safety. That’s a lot of top end talent playing against mostly AAC teams that has maybe 2 or 3 NFL potential guys on their roster. Ridder is definitely a 2nd/3rd round quality qb but the NFL is littered with qb’s who are drafted & out of the league in 2 or 3 years. Deshawn Kizer, Akali Smith, Tim Couch, Jordan Love, all guys with similar abilities as Ridder who simply didn’t pan out for one reason or another.

Warriors - You may be 100% correct but the 44-5 record and 26-0 at home wasn’t solely because of Ridder. In this draft alone UC has a projected Top 10 cb, a 2nd-3rd round outside lb and wr, a 4th rd cb and safety. That’s a lot of top end talent playing against mostly AAC teams that has maybe 2 or 3 NFL potential guys on their roster. Ridder is definitely a 2nd/3rd round quality qb but the NFL is littered with qb’s who are drafted & out of the league in 2 or 3 years. Deshawn Kizer, Akali Smith, Tim Couch, Jordan Love, all guys with similar abilities as Ridder who simply didn’t pan out for one reason or another.
Sure sure, I personally think he is the best QB in the draft. No questions asked.

If the Steelers do not get a qb in this years draft, here is the current qb rankings for the 2023 NFL Draft:

1 - Bryce Young, Alabama
2 - CJ Stroud, Ohio State
3 - Tyler Van Dyke, Miami
4 - Grayson McCall, Costal Carolina
5 - Anthony Richardson, Florida
6 - Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
7 - Phil Jurkovec, Boston College
8 - Will Levis, Kentucky
9 - Jake Haener, Fresno State
10 - Will Rogers, Mississippi St
11 - Sam Hartman, Wake Forest
12 - DJ Uiagalelei, Clemson
13 - Jayden Daniels, LSU
14 - Dillon Gabriel, Oklahoma
15 - Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

Take these rankings with a grain of salt. Last year at this time #15 Spencer Rattler was the #1 ranked qb for th 2022 NFL Draft and he ended up losing his job to a freshman.

If the Steelers do not get a qb in this years draft, here is the current qb rankings for the 2023 NFL Draft:

1 - Bryce Young, Alabama
2 - CJ Stroud, Ohio State
3 - Tyler Van Dyke, Miami
4 - Grayson McCall, Costal Carolina
5 - Anthony Richardson, Florida
6 - Hendon Hooker, Tennessee
7 - Phil Jurkovec, Boston College
8 - Will Levis, Kentucky
9 - Jake Haener, Fresno State
10 - Will Rogers, Mississippi St
11 - Sam Hartman, Wake Forest
12 - DJ Uiagalelei, Clemson
13 - Jayden Daniels, LSU
14 - Dillon Gabriel, Oklahoma
15 - Spencer Rattler, South Carolina

Take these rankings with a grain of salt. Last year at this time #15 Spencer Rattler was the #1 ranked qb for th 2022 NFL Draft and he ended up losing his job to a freshman.
A couple of these guys have no business being as high as they are. We all know that.

Yes, terrible news. Maybe too soon but likely means the Steelers pick up a Qb at some point in the draft. Especially since they just sent Dobbs to the Browns. If they were serious about picking one in the first round Haskins death probably doesn’t change that.

Each NFL team can invite up to 30 players in for a visit before the NFL Draft. Most are guys the team is interested in drafting, some are guys the team may look to try & sign as undrafted players - the Clemson lb below is a possible undrafted player.

Here is the Steelers list of players they have had in:
QB Carson Strong (Nevada)
QB Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati)
QB Malik Willis (Liberty)
QB Matt Corral (Ole Miss)
QB Sam Howell (North Carolina)
DL Eric Johnson (Missouri State)
LB James Skalski (Clemson)
LB Mark Robinson (Ole Miss)
LB Quay Walker (Georgia)
CB Marcus Jones (Houston)
S Joey Blount (Virginia)
S Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame)
S Nolan Turner (Clemson)
(Note: Top QB prospect Kenny Pickett was considered a local visit to the Steelers, so he doesn't count towards their official 30.)

Kicks the can on drafting a S at least
At least picking one early…I see a S in R5-7. I saw one draft analysis that had the Steelers taking SMOKE MONDAY I believe R4 or 5, of course that was before this signing…love that name.

The Steelers re-signed S Terrell Edmunds to a one year, $2.5 mil deal. If the Steelers had picked up his 5th year option it would have cost $6.5 mil for this season. Thus, $4 mil in savings for the 2022 team cap. Yes, Edmunds has been a disappointment but his best year was last season and he is only 25. In today’s NFL Salary Cap era you simply can not be solid at every position.

This signing allows the Steelers to focus on the draft at wr, offensive & defensive tackle, edge rusher depth and if they deem a player worthy a qb. What I like best about Colbert’s last year, he is not mortgaging the future regarding the team salary cap. The Steelers future projected cap #’s:

2023: $75.6 mil available on a projected $225 mil team cap - 8th most cap space in NFL
2024: $162.8 mil available on a projected $256 mil team cap - 8th most cap space in NFL

Also, Duck Hodges retired from professional football yesterday.

Saw a article on the Wonderlink scores for this years top qb Draft prospects.

Bailey Zappe 35
Sam Howell 34
Malik Willis 32
Carson Strong 22
Desmond Ridder 19
Kenny Pickett 17
Matt Corral 15

Some past QB Wonderlink scores:
*Pat McNally 50 - Former Bengal was a wr/p & the only perfect Wonderlink score by NFL player
Pat Fitzgerald 48
Justin Herbert 39
Josh Allen 37
Aaron Rodgers 35
Joe Burrow 35
Peyton Manning 28
Mason Rudolph 27
Ben Roethlisberger 25
Mitch Trubisky 25
Baker Mayfield 25
Dan Marino 15
Jeff George 10
Vince Young 6

i know that it is clearly dependent on what other teams do, but what are your predictions for the Steelers first pick. not what you WANT them to do, but if you had to bet who they are taking, who would it be?

i really have NO GUESS at all right now.

Each NFL team can invite up to 30 players in for a visit before the NFL Draft. Most are guys the team is interested in drafting, some are guys the team may look to try & sign as undrafted players - the Clemson lb below is a possible undrafted player.

Here is the Steelers list of players they have had in:
QB Carson Strong (Nevada)
QB Desmond Ridder (Cincinnati)
QB Malik Willis (Liberty)
QB Matt Corral (Ole Miss)
QB Sam Howell (North Carolina)
DL Eric Johnson (Missouri State)
LB James Skalski (Clemson)
LB Mark Robinson (Ole Miss)
LB Quay Walker (Georgia)
CB Marcus Jones (Houston)
S Joey Blount (Virginia)
S Kyle Hamilton (Notre Dame)
S Nolan Turner (Clemson)
(Note: Top QB prospect Kenny Pickett was considered a local visit to the Steelers, so he doesn't count towards their official 30.)
I could see Ridder in the black & gold