Youngstown Ursuline in 2022?

The schools reach out to each and every kid we can---we no longer have 14 parochial feeder schools in the city of Youngstown alone. Others wish to paint this as something sinister. You don't hear that cry when the Irish or Cards are struggling. I guess we just forgot to "recruit" that year.
I am not complaining nor do I have any problem with Ursuline, Mooney, JFK or anyone else. My parents went to St. Pat's, St. Dom's and Cardinal Mooney. All of my aunts and uncles also went to St. Pat's and Mooney, and most of my cousins went to St. Charles/St. Christine's and Mooney. I went to Canfield, a few of my cousins went to Poland, a few went to Boardman and one went to Girard. I have a lot of friends that went to St. Christine's, St. Charles, Cardinal Mooney, Ursuline, JFK, St. Thomas Aquinas, and other area parochial schools. As such I have nothing against any of the area parochial schools, and in fact support them, but they do "recruit" but so do some public and non-parochial and/or non-Catholic privates.

The schools reach out to each and every kid we can---we no longer have 14 parochial feeder schools in the city of Youngstown alone. Others wish to paint this as something sinister. You don't hear that cry when the Irish or Cards are struggling. I guess we just forgot to "recruit" that year.
If you think recruiting at the high school level is a good thing that’s a problem in itself.

Ursuline has become the kind of recruiting in the area. I’m sure that they are scouring the Mahoning Valley for the best young talent to play for the Irish, starting with the most important position (QB). Have they found their signal caller?

Ursuline has become the kind of recruiting in the area. I’m sure that they are scouring the Mahoning Valley for the best young talent to play for the Irish, starting with the most important position (QB). Have they found their signal caller?
I heard it was a kid who’s going to be a junior. Not sure if he played another position for the Irish last season or not. They normally send a couple “Friends” of the program to go to all the middle school games in the area

If this is such an obvious and wide spread problem then where is the OHSAA? Why hasn't Ursuline been disciplined by them? They've done this to other schools---private & public alike---across the state. Maybe the OHSAA is in on this vast conspiracy of Ursuline administrators, coaches, athletes, parents, alumni, friends, Ursuline sisters, the bishop, or anyone who simply just walked within the shadow of the school. I heard that the Archbishop of Cincinnati---Catholic primate of Ohio---is in on it too, secretly making phone calls to stick it to Canfield and Boardman. If the Irish are successful they must be cheating!

At the end of the day I think in the valley the catholics will never have the stranglehold on the area that they once did. More and more kids are staying at home in the suburbs as per why Mooney is struggling. I have never been a fan of the idea of not playing the catholic schools because they "take kids." As a coach and administration wouldn't you want to show kids that you are better and they should stay by beating the evil catholic schools? Because they were brought up earlier, Canfield would probably drill Mooney and beat Ursuline this coming year. Why wouldn't the school want to take advantage of that?

If this is such an obvious and wide spread problem then where is the OHSAA? Why hasn't Ursuline been disciplined by them? They've done this to other schools---private & public alike---across the state. Maybe the OHSAA is in on this vast conspiracy of Ursuline administrators, coaches, athletes, parents, alumni, friends, Ursuline sisters, the bishop, or anyone who simply just walked within the shadow of the school. I heard that the Archbishop of Cincinnati---Catholic primate of Ohio---is in on it too, secretly making phone calls to stick it to Canfield and Boardman. If the Irish are successful they must be cheating!
It's just an excuse for those that haven't had success use when cathloics are good.

The schools reach out to each and every kid we can---we no longer have 14 parochial feeder schools
"The schools reach out" terminology is quite amusing instead of using "recruiting".

In Hubbard they call Ursuline "asbestos high", their gymnasium looks like something out of the 50s. Is it true that they only use half of the school because the oldest part is so deteriorated?

I have a nephew who was called at his home by a coach of a private school to come play football there. I’m sure this wasn’t the first and only time this happened and I’m sure it wasn’t the last.

It's just an excuse for those that haven't had success use when cathloics are good.
There is a difference, some do things the right way and some do it very backwards. That’s not a shot at everyone but it’s absolutely not an excuse

"The schools reach out" terminology is quite amusing instead of using "recruiting".

In Hubbard they call Ursuline "asbestos high", their gymnasium looks like something out of the 50s. Is it true that they only use half of the school because the oldest part is so deteriorated?
The "old building" on Bryson is a showpiece. Parts are like something you'd find on a university campus---called "the Commons." Seeped in our rich history, it was the original "Ursuline Academy of the Holy Name of Jesus," founded by Mother Vincent O'Connell and the Ursuline sisters in 1909. We cherish our classy old building. Yes, the gymnasium was built in the mid-50s but it does the job. The Irish have dominated on that court---even Mooney calls it "the House on the Hill." Think "vintage" or "classic." We don't have the big tax monies of the publics, that's true. We can't tear it down and rebuild every 20 years. That's one reason that we reach out to invite any kid we can to become part of our rich tradition. I was in the gym recently and think it is in fine shape. Hubbard is welcome to schedule UHS anytime---the invitation is wide open. Since our facilities are such a wreck, as you would have it, and your facilities so vastly superior, then beating us should be a breeze. If you are worried about our asbestos tainted kids then we'll play every game at Hubbard. That way you can show off your premier facilities and we can admire what we don't have. Name the date. Come on---pick up the phone 330-744-4563. The AD is standing by.

Last edited:
The "old building" on Bryson is a showpiece. Parts are like something you'd find on a university campus---called "the Commons." Seeped in our rich history, it was the original "Ursuline Academy of the Holy Name of Jesus," founded by Mother Vincent O'Connell and the Ursuline sisters in 1909. We cherish our classy old building. Yes, the gymnasium was built in the mid-50s but it does the job. The Irish have dominated on that court---even Mooney calls it "the House on the Hill." Think "vintage" or "classic." We don't have the big tax monies of the publics, that's true. We can't tear it down and rebuild every 20 years. That's one reason that we reach out to invite any kid we can to become part of our rich tradition. I was in the gym recently and think it is in fine shape. Hubbard is welcome to schedule UHS anytime---the invitation is wide open. Since our facilities are such a wreck, as you would have it, and your facilities so vastly superior, then beating us should be a breeze. If you are worried about our asbestos tainted kids then we'll play every game at Hubbard. That way you can show off your premier facilities and we can admire what we don't have. Name the date. Come on---pick up the phone 330-744-4563. The AD is standing by.
That would require Hubbard scheduling someone worth a damn outside of their conference.

I'm not here to highjack this thread, far from it. I'm simply stating my opinion just as you have a right to do.

Hubbard doesn't need to schedule Ursuline, they tried that last year with Mooney and look how that turned out, just ask the Hubbard police. It's just not worth the hassle, plus they couldn't even fill half the visiting stands at Beautiful Hubbard Memorial Stadium.

I'm not here to highjack this thread, far from it. I'm simply stating my opinion just as you have a right to do.

Hubbard doesn't need to schedule Ursuline, they tried that last year with Mooney and look how that turned out, just ask the Hubbard police. It's just not worth the hassle, plus they couldn't even fill half the visiting stands at Beautiful Hubbard Memorial Stadium.
Hubbard is 3-17 vs. Ursuline. Reardon is not Pelini. Yes, Hubbard has a beautiful stadium. I agree about Mooney. It's like a death wish for Mooney to keep him. I wouldn't want my son playing for him.

Last edited:
YOUNGSTOWN URSULINE
1 - (H) Brookfield
2 - (H) Parma Padua Franciscan
3 - @ Farrell (PA)
4 - (H) Austintown Fitch
5 - (H) Warren Harding
6 - @ Youngstown Chaney
7 - (H) Akron St. Vincent-St. Mary
8 - @ Cleveland VASJ
9 - (H) Youngstown East
10 - @ Cardinal Mooney

Irish only travel outside the Valley once---at Cleveland VASJ.
One 1st time foe this year is Parma Padua Franciscan. The brown & white have a storied history.

6 options for Hubbard 3 OOC every year should be ...with assuming Howland in the NE8
1. Canfield/ Steubenville
2. Salem/ WB
3. Louisville/ Alliance
And these 6 schools could also have Ursuline on their schedule.

Many of the consistently successful programs have a well coordinated feeder programs at the elementary and jr high levels. Kids come into the high school level already knowing the fundamentals. Does Ursuline or Mooney have any feeder programs considering the closure of so many elementary and jr high schools?

Many of the consistently successful programs have a well coordinated feeder programs at the elementary and jr high levels. Kids come into the high school level already knowing the fundamentals. Does Ursuline or Mooney have any feeder programs considering the closure of so many elementary and jr high schools?

When I grew up in Youngstown kids would play pee wee football (Northside Knights, West Side Cowboys etc) and the play in jr high.

They’re called Boardman Struthers Poland South Range Youngstown Girard….you get it.

Yes the feeder schools are the mahoning/Trumbull county middle schools

When I grew up in Youngstown kids would play pee wee football (Northside Knights, West Side Cowboys etc) and the play in jr high.
They have the Chaney little cowboys and the east bears playing this season in the league with Struthers/Poland/lakeview/Fitch/Boardman and some others

At one time Ursuline's feeder programs were schools to the north of the Mahoning River: St. Columba, St. Brendan, Immaculate, Sacred Heart, Sts. Cyril & Methodius, St. Elizabeth, St. Lucy, St. John the Baptist, St. Joseph the Provider, St. Christine, St. Rose, St. Patrick (Hubbard), St. Casmir, Sts. Peter & Paul, St. Edward, Immaculate Heart of Mary, St. Joseph (Austintown), Holy Name.
Cardinal Mooney's feeder programs were schools to the south of the Mahoning River: St. Dominic, St. Stanislaus, St. Mathias, St. Nicholas, St. Charles, Holy Family, Holy Trinity, Byzantine Catholic Central, St. Jude, St. Patrick (Youngstown), Holy Rosary, St. Michael.
I'm probably missing some. Only a few of the above feeder schools remain due to what has happened to the Valley since Black Monday (9/19/77).
Several years ago the Diocese of Youngstown relaxed the river boundary so now students can attend either school as their parent's decide no matter on what side of the river they reside.

Last edited: