Buchtel-East District Semifinal Suspended Due to Fight (Buchtel Advances)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't believe they said how long the suspensions for Buchtel players would be. Of the numbers thrown out I don't believe I ever heard 1. As for East I'm not sure how that works being this was their last game this season.
The ejections carry over into the next sport the individual plays.

I think a lot of people that havent walked the halls of an APS school in the last 10-15 years would be shocked at how much they dont know that goes on and unfortunately leads to just a slap on the wrist from above. As someone above mentioned, until parents are held accountable, these kids are going to just continue to do these things. It should not all be on teachers and administration.
Sign of the times. Until schools put discipline back in the schools, our youth don’t know any better. Doubt the administrators and schools boards are on board at many schools bb?

My daughter played at Ellet for Wallace. I can only tell you there were problems with Kenmore and Firestone. Our program, Central-Hower and Garfield along with North were very classy. Class of 2006.

im retired APD. City of Akron is in dismay.
Everywhere. Sad. Stop the WOkE. Do your jobs, coaches and administrators

That should absolutely be the message. Draw a line and don't make excuses for those who can't abide by it.

Maybe not but their players were suspended for two games not just one.

I am curious to see what, if anything APS officials do as far as disciplining the players, particularly those from East. Do they have no consequences because they don’t advance?
How about displinine East coaches!

Be that as it may, it is following the rules set forth by the OHSAA. Bench clearing brawls happen every season in every sport. No OHSAA rule saying “if you have one you’re out of the tournament”
Correct....

If that fight happens during the regular season, it's handled the same way....

Those involved to the extent that the punishment carries an ejection are suspended.... those that were not, which in this case were the kids that did not leave the bench or did not participate in the fight are still eligible to play.

They followed the regulations to a T

Saw a brawl earlier this year that was IMO at least equal to this, and 1-2 kids involved had suspensions reduced with others having suspensions spread over multiple games.

The idea that Buchtel needs to be tossed from the tournament due to a brawl that on video appears to have been largely induced and escalated by an opponent that was trailing by 20+ points is absurd. Follow the rules set forth by the OHSAA and move on.

The biggest issue I have with this stupidity which also occurred during the brawl I witnessed is fans coming out of the stands and on to the court. You typically have a few legitimate school/community figures trying to de-escalate the situation, but there are a lot of knuckleheads that the players see in the hallways at school, in the community, and unfortunately sometimes, at home, trying to jump in.

Correct....

If that fight happens during the regular season, it's handled the same way....

Those involved to the extent that the punishment carries an ejection are suspended.... those that were not, which in this case were the kids that did not leave the bench or did not participate in the fight are still eligible to play.

They followed the regulations to a T
Thank you, this is not that difficult to understand...nor is it being soft. If a kids didn't participate in the fight, they don't deserve to have their season ended. It sounds as if the kids on Buchtels Bench did not take part in the skirmish, therefore they get play in their next game.

I'm curious from most posters that think Buchtel should be disqualified did you even watch the video? That team was not the aggressor and only 1 i repeat 1 person is on video throwing a punch and another squared up. So based on the facts 1-2 people should cost the other 10 their season when they reacted appropriately?

The article blew this incident completely out of proportion. The article makes it seems like it was a big brawl between everybody but in reality the benches cleared and the adults broke it up literally within minutes. As a ex Akron residence i've never seen a article published so quickly with little fact checking. Literally you can't find any other local article that was written and published so quickly the reporter never even left the gym. My gawd this was a unfortunate situation but it is nowhere as severe as many are making it out to be. You can do a quick google search and find other instances in Ohio this year that turned out much worst but you can do that I don't want to drag those schools in this because I wasn't there.

The article blew this incident completely out of proportion. The article makes it seems like it was a big brawl between everybody but in reality the benches cleared and the adults broke it up literally within minutes. As a ex Akron residence i've never seen a article published so quickly with little fact checking. Literally you can't find any other local article that was written and published so quickly the reporter never even left the gym. My gawd this was a unfortunate situation but it is nowhere as severe as many are making it out to be. You can do a quick google search and find other instances in Ohio this year that turned out much worst but you can do that I don't want to drag those schools in this because I wasn't there.
I would add to this since I haven't seen anyone else say anything, when I clicked on the link in this thread to read the story I was stunned that they included multiple photos/thumbnails of kids being restrained, etc. on top of naming those kids in the captions, and included video.

That is God awful journalism and highly inappropriate for coverage of prep sports, and the Beacon Journal should be ashamed. The brawl I referenced that I'd probably put on par with this was not sensationalized in the local paper like this. There was no video shared, and the only image accompanying the story was a full court game action shot.

Sign of the times. Until schools put discipline back in the schools, our youth don’t know any better. Doubt the administrators and schools boards are on board at many schools bb?
Hard to put discipline in schools when there is none in the home. Kids spend 7 hrs. a day in school, and 17 hrs. a day outside.

I can't see the sense of punishing kids that had nothing to do with the underlying fight. These are kids with limited productive activities available to them. We complain about their parenting yet we want to take away a decent opportunity to get out from under it?

As for further action, someone needs to really look at the lead up to this. These situations generally do not come out of nowhere. There are usually some pretty clear cues that either the coaches or officials should pick up on and handle before it gets to a situation like this. My general rule with my kids was that you don't talk to anyone on the opposing team or the refs and if you do you get to sit next to me on the bench.

I'm curious from most posters that think Buchtel should be disqualified did you even watch the video? That team was not the aggressor and only 1 i repeat 1 person is on video throwing a punch and another squared up. So based on the facts 1-2 people should cost the other 10 their season when they reacted appropriately?

I fully agree with this take. In looking at the video, I actually was pretty impressed with how Buchtel coaches and players handled themselves. The players did not leave the bench. The coaches stepped in as soon as possible. And while there were pushing and punching (maybe by some Buchtel players), exactly what would you expect them to do when confronted on court by the entire East team? Much of it looked defensive. And to a great extent I agree the descriptions of the fight are overblown. Still, suspensions are certainly in order for a good portion of the East team and for a number of Buchtel players as well. But the thought Buchtel should be tossed from the tournament is idiotic. I would look at the video and see if you can identify parents or others who came onto the court and suspend them from games, as well. As has been mentioned in other threads, there was a STVM parent who got suspended for 2 games for going out onto the court to argue with the refs. I'd think if you can identify the parents that a similar suspension of them would be in order.

Last edited:
Hard to put discipline in schools when there is none in the home. Kids spend 7 hrs. a day in school, and 17 hrs. a day outside.
7 hours of discipline is better then none. School is about academics and discipline. This usually carries over into life. Thus the lack of discipline and respect has mostly been lost into our society over last 15-20 years.

Given this day and age of social media, hard to imagine that no adults (administrators, teachers, coaches, parents) had no inkilng this could occur. Everyone just assuming this was a "heat of the moment" experience?

While I agree with fellow posters who bemoan the lack of leadership from parents, administrators, and coaches, I would like to think each individual player bears some responsibility as well.

Knowing the difference between right and wrong is something different than making the wrong choice. I think student athletes of that age and experience have experienced big games against fierce rivals where play gets chippy, and should know how to respond.

Adults who would condone this behavior should be identified and barred.

Right and wrong is pretty simple: if you have to stop and think about whether something is wrong or not, well, you have the answer right there.

That said, there seems to be an increase in reactionary responses, like another poster stated, because someone disrespected them. I guess letting your play do your talking is from a bygone era.

I just finished my 38th year of basketball and I think I've seen a shift toward less patience and more negative displays of emotion on the floor and in the gym.

Buchtel two bigs get 4 game suspensions. Wouldn’t be eligible again until State title game. Buchtel will appeal to Ohsaa with slim hopes the penalty’s are revised. Buchtel advanced To district final vs Gilmour. East players handled internally.

My daughter played at Ellet for Wallace. I can only tell you there were problems with Kenmore and Firestone. Our program, Central-Hower and Garfield along with North were very classy. Class of 2006.

im retired APD. City of Akron is in dismay.
My mentor and all around awesome human just retired from APD after 33 years! Thank you for your service to our city!

Buchtel two bigs get 4 game suspensions. Wouldn’t be eligible again until State title game. Buchtel will appeal to Ohsaa with slim hopes the penalty’s are revised. Buchtel advanced To district final vs Gilmour. East players handled internally.
Boy those suspensions sting a little bit more in the post season, ouch. I wonder if the Griff's get knocked out, do the suspensions get rolled over to next season?

Hopefully they do. Or I think if any players choose to go out and appear on a roster for a spring sport, they can serve the suspensions this spring and not miss any hoops next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.