Buchtel-East District Semifinal Suspended Due to Fight (Buchtel Advances)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a City fan it is incredibly sad and embarrassing for the league and the city of Akron as well. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if the brawl was started by East. Their sports teams have been in multiple altercations the last few years. I've been there and watched it with my own eyes. They have a real lack of leadership in the Athletic department that stems from an Athletic director who lacks the ability to truly be effective due to him trying to be a friend rather than a leader of men. Just my opinion.
Can you elaborate on the "multiple altercations", I must be missing a good portion of these that have significantly involved east. Not saying they arent at fault in this instance but just curious. Also-this has nothing to do with the athletic director, he is the sole person that restored order during this incident and will be the first to kick any of these kids to the curb for these types of incidents and those kids know that.

Can you elaborate on the "multiple altercations", I must be missing a good portion of these that have significantly involved east. Not saying they arent at fault in this instance but just curious. Also-this has nothing to do with the athletic director, he is the sole person that restored order during this incident and will be the first to kick any of these kids to the curb for these types of incidents and those kids know that.
I can give you three from past memory. His football team was involved in two fights this year one that resulted in the entire APD being called to Ellet high school. His girls basketball teams were involved in another fight this year as well. So football, boys hoops, girls hoops, cant wait to see track season. And the Beacon does a good job of covering up alot of things in APS not just for east. And I think I'm talking to an East guy so let me clarify. He doesn't discipline his players never has never will. Him kicking anyone to the curb is extremely funny and is not reflective of him as a coach or athletic director. He has had multiple D1 athletes under his tutelage and they go to college un prepared and never make it in part due to them not receiving the discipline and skills from their head coach its very sad to see.

I can give you three from past memory. His football team was involved in two fights this year one that resulted in the entire APD being called to Ellet high school. His girls basketball teams were involved in another fight this year as well. So football, boys hoops, girls hoops, cant wait to see track season. And the Beacon does a good job of covering up alot of things in APS not just for east. And I think I'm talking to an East guy so let me clarify. He doesn't discipline his players never has never will. Him kicking anyone to the curb is extremely funny and is not reflective of him as a coach or athletic director. He has had multiple D1 athletes under his tutelage and they go to college un prepared and never make it in part due to them not receiving the discipline and skills from their head coach its very sad to see.
that last sentence... is WHY discipline is needed at ALL SCHOOLS today.

I am on the inside and at every single game football wise, I can only recall one specific instance this season where there was an altercation, it had nothing to do with east. There was a fight between Kenmore Garfield Players (to be expected when you combine 2 schools that are bitter rivals) the fight was between a player on the KG side and a fan in the stands, that then spilled into the fans moving into the parking lot where guns were reported and APD was called. There was then a second fight between KG players that occured during the 3rd qtr causing the game to be halted by officials. It had absolutely nothing to do with East. I have seen him discipline players aplenty so that is hilarious that you say that. Yes he has multiple D1 athletes that go places and make names of themselves. Once they leave East he cant control what they do, I know of several players including ones from my own graduating class that just cannot escape the nature of the neighborhood and the families and systems around them. Coach Hayes can only do what he can when the kids are in school. Its up to the parents to parent, putting all the blame on one guy to "parent" 300+ kids is just assanine on your part but i digress. All of the issues stem from the Akron Public school system and the way they handle things, we know that KG should not have been combined, we know that these kids that get expelled just get shipped around the various HS and the integration of these different neighborhoods has caused issues for years.

I am on the inside and at every single game football wise, I can only recall one specific instance this season where there was an altercation, it had nothing to do with east. There was a fight between Kenmore Garfield Players (to be expected when you combine 2 schools that are bitter rivals) the fight was between a player on the KG side and a fan in the stands, that then spilled into the fans moving into the parking lot where guns were reported and APD was called. There was then a second fight between KG players that occured during the 3rd qtr causing the game to be halted by officials. It had absolutely nothing to do with East. I have seen him discipline players aplenty so that is hilarious that you say that. Yes he has multiple D1 athletes that go places and make names of themselves. Once they leave East he cant control what they do, I know of several players including ones from my own graduating class that just cannot escape the nature of the neighborhood and the families and systems around them. Coach Hayes can only do what he can when the kids are in school. Its up to the parents to parent, putting all the blame on one guy to "parent" 300+ kids is just assanine on your part but i digress. All of the issues stem from the Akron Public school system and the way they handle things, we know that KG should not have been combined, we know that these kids that get expelled just get shipped around the various HS and the integration of these different neighborhoods has caused issues for years.
That is always the East code right? not us someone else. Got ya! And that one guy that you are referring too allows kids to miss multiple practices get in fights in school and still play. At one point he was the acting principal ad and coach there at 80 britt right? NO conflict there NO he is not responsible for all the kids in the school. He does have responsibility for the culture that he promotes. My friend teaches there and she has told me that the football players are the worst behaved kids in school. His kids used to wear Jack Boy shirts years ago i saw them multiple kids in them prior to a game a Ellet wonder what that means? Culture culture culture. Teach discipline teach college ready skills hold players accountable and they will have a much better chance at a brighter future.

That is always the East code right? not us someone else. Got ya! And that one guy that you are referring too allows kids to miss multiple practices get in fights in school and still play. At one point he was the acting principal ad and coach there at 80 britt right? NO conflict there NO he is not responsible for all the kids in the school. He does have responsibility for the culture that he promotes. My friend teaches there and she has told me that the football players are the worst behaved kids in school. His kids used to wear Jack Boy shirts years ago i saw them multiple kids in them prior to a game a Ellet wonder what that means? Culture culture culture. Teach discipline teach college ready skills hold players accountable and they will have a much better chance at a brighter future.
He was never the acting principal of that school so I don't know where you are getting your information from, I am sure that the coaches at your fine institution that you support are squeaky clean and those kids are just great as well right? They are kids, things happen, I would love to see you in that situation and how you would react. You can only do so much and unfortunately these guys dont always have the support systems at home-school is for learning and unfortunately its hard to do that when the teachers are underpaid and parents are not there to back up the teachers. Ask your teacher friend how many kids including non football players behave appropriately, my guess is less than 25% of those kids.

If you want to send a message to all players, coaches and fans throughout the state, move Gilmore on to the next round. Is it the "right" thing to do...I don't know. But could it resonate in the future when a player(s) decides to loose his cool and a situation like this results...I think so.

Tough way to learn a lesson, there is no doubt about it, but the value down the road may outweigh the disappointment felt today.

If you want to send a message to all players, coaches and fans throughout the state, move Gilmore on to the next round. Is it the "right" thing to do...I don't know. But could it resonate in the future when a player(s) decides to loose his cool and a situation like this results...I think so.

Tough way to learn a lesson, there is no doubt about it, but the value down the road may outweigh the disappointment felt today.
So say I'm a senior on a team getting blowed out by 30 points against STV or Centerville and I hate them anyway, let me start a brawl, yeah my season is over, but hey so is theirs now using your rationale! So now you have some teams historic run ended by a hot head on a blown out team.

So say I'm a senior on a team getting blowed out by 30 points against STV or Centerville and I hate them anyway, let me start a brawl, yeah my season is over, but hey so is theirs now using your rationale! So now you have some teams historic run ended by a hot head on a blown out team.

hubman, you make a very good point. In going one step further, I'd say that whatever penalties/sanctions/fines are assessed should carry over to next season. A team (or teams) shouldn't get a pass because they violated OHSAA bylaws in its last game. If the penalty against the school/team doesn't carry over, what would prevent every losing team from fighting in its last game? Obviously, this is really a sad situation.

I understand that side of it, but I hate to acknowledge the possibility of that happening. If we have gotten to that point in society, there is no helping us now as far as I can see.

C8D67544-8CB7-424F-B016-E9EE032C5D5E.jpeg

He was never the acting principal of that school so I don't know where you are getting your information from, I am sure that the coaches at your fine institution that you support are squeaky clean and those kids are just great as well right? They are kids, things happen, I would love to see you in that situation and how you would react. You can only do so much and unfortunately these guys dont always have the support systems at home-school is for learning and unfortunately its hard to do that when the teachers are underpaid and parents are not there to back up the teachers. Ask your teacher friend how many kids including non football players behave appropriately, my guess is less than 25% of those kids.MY
My teacher friend said he has served as acting principal multiple times during the last couple of years as a sub principal for both 9/11 and 10/12 assistant principal roles. She said 8/10 behave just fine its the 2 out of 10 and 30 plus class sizes that enable other students to behave that way. But she stands firm the football team is the main cause of a lot of issues including a fight that took place after school before the game against Bay that resulted in pepper spray being deployed. As an Akron resident and graduate of APS I SUPPORT all APS schools so no squeaky clean here.

The fight was between STVM vs CCC and players from both teams served two game suspensions. Then the teams performed some community service volunteer work together. The behavior of these two bitter Akron Public schools rivals is unacceptable The OHSAA have their hands full.. I suspect we could see multiple suspensions in this case. Security may be beefed up at the district final.

The community service was a school issued event, not ohsaa which is why I didn’t mention it. I think after the players did their service they all went to lunch at Akron Family. Correct me if I’m wrong.

The fat guy chasing the player around at the end of the video is good comedy lol. If the idiots wouldn't have come out of the stands that whole thing probably is a lot less trouble than it ended up being.

What I see is East being the aggressors, led primarily by the kid being helped up off the floor when the video begins. Granted though, much of the action in the corner can't be seen and we can't tell who said what.

Our society is a mess. This was not a huge, glaring incident; but it's an embarassment.

Too many kids today are raised to handle conflict with ... conflict. There's no growth. No maturity. No accountability. Parents, coaches and teachers all need to be better, even though it's not easy. Anyone with experience in education can see the way some of the kids start to "move or bounce" that they want to get it on. Or at leats act tough enough to make it look like they want to.

They think they're tough and bad dudes. It's the opposite. Until Superintendants and school boards grow a pair to make it public that adults need to be accountable for teaching their kids decorum(and I'll even throw in cell phones and how that's destrying our children)..., our society with continue to move backwards.

It gets old seeing this stuff. At some point, you'd think people would have enough

Our society is a mess. This was not a huge, glaring incident; but it's an embarassment.

Too many kids today are raised to handle conflict with ... conflict. There's no growth. No maturity. No accountability. Parents, coaches and teachers all need to be better, even though it's not easy. Anyone with experience in education can see the way some of the kids start to "move or bounce" that they want to get it on. Or at leats act tough enough to make it look like they want to.

They think they're tough and bad dudes. It's the opposite. Until Superintendants and school boards grow a pair to make it public that adults need to be accountable for teaching their kids decorum(and I'll even throw in cell phones and how that's destrying our children)..., our society with continue to move backwards.

It gets old seeing this stuff. At some point, you'd think people would have enough

But...but...but...he was disrespected.

Bingo on the superintendents and school boards. Add administrators to your correct, summary.

My teacher friend said he has served as acting principal multiple times during the last couple of years as a sub principal for both 9/11 and 10/12 assistant principal roles. She said 8/10 behave just fine its the 2 out of 10 and 30 plus class sizes that enable other students to behave that way. But she stands firm the football team is the main cause of a lot of issues including a fight that took place after school before the game against Bay that resulted in pepper spray being deployed. As an Akron resident and graduate of APS I SUPPORT all APS schools so no squeaky clean here.
I think a lot of people that havent walked the halls of an APS school in the last 10-15 years would be shocked at how much they dont know that goes on and unfortunately leads to just a slap on the wrist from above. As someone above mentioned, until parents are held accountable, these kids are going to just continue to do these things. It should not all be on teachers and administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.