Division VI State Championship: Carey (14-1) vs Coldwater (13-2)

Who wins the state championship?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Carey more than earned their ticket to Canton. You're right, last week it was hard to see Carey beating Springfield, but that was less about what Carey could (and did) do and more about what Brungard (Springfield QB) had done the last 2+ years. What's the old saying - Jimmies & Joes over X's & O's? Going into the game Brungard was the "biggest" Jimmy of them all, but now it appears Mr Vallejo eclipsed him. ; )
Agreed. I believe there's been no real disrespect for Carey. Just as Raylan posted, Springfield's history and Carey's lack of, was understandably used in discussions. After that amazing performance by Brungard in last year's Title game and returning this year, it was hard NOT to give them the nod. Carey definitely deserves the spot and WILL NOT be an easy opponent.

Last edited:
Just watched the Coldwater/West Jeff game. Thats just a 1 game sample of CW so I say this timidly.

If Carey doesnt turn the ball over, they should win by a couple scores. I haven't seen the Cavs outmanned before except maybe 01 against Kenton. I think they are outmanned here.

But, you never know.

Just watched the Coldwater/West Jeff game. Thats just a 1 game sample of CW so I say this timidly.

If Carey doesnt turn the ball over, they should win by a couple scores. I haven't seen the Cavs outmanned before except maybe 01 against Kenton. I think they are outmanned here.

But, you never know.
Was Hopewell Loudon outmanned? I watched HL - Carey highlights the QB for HL made Carey look slow. Now CW does not have a running QB this year but I look for Blasingame to have a big game for CW this week. Carey should move the ball (running) vs. CW but I don't see Carey stopping CW defensively. CW by 3 scores.

But, you never know.
CW has been outmanned by Ursuline a couple of times, Kettering Alter, Kirtland, Kenton, and ROUTINELY outmanned by Marion Local, so it is not a rare occurance.

Should be a good game. I think CW will be fine. CW will have a good game plan going in, and will be very prepared and disciplined. My prediction, CW will continue to spread the wealth through the air, which Carey will have trouble defending. CW's defense will swarm that 265lb rb. 35-13 Cavs.

Fact of the matter is that CW has problems with power running teams.
See MSML and St Hank.

Now they face a Jerome Bettis type back behind a line that rivals the old Washington Redskins Hogs.

Probably was a better matchup if NMS had won but it is what it is.

I imagine we'll still show up in Canton next week, play hard and do their best and try not to get run over like a freight train vs a Prius.
Never heard of her!

TBH, I think it will be more than that. I think WJ could have beat Carey. Go Cavs!
Think both WJ & NM Springfield were affected by the weather last week. It's Ohio so you have to be ready for anything, but if the weather forecast holds out, the advantage that Carey held last week will definitely be mitigated.

Think both WJ & NM Springfield were affected by the weather last week. It's Ohio so you have to be ready for anything, but if the weather forecast holds out, the advantage that Carey held last week will definitely be mitigated.
The weather should have been a nonfactor for WJ last Saturday.
I heard there was snow up north though, but in Piqua it was not a factor.

Was Hopewell Loudon outmanned? I watched HL - Carey highlights the QB for HL made Carey look slow. Now CW does not have a running QB this year but I look for Blasingame to have a big game for CW this week. Carey should move the ball (running) vs. CW but I don't see Carey stopping CW defensively. CW by 3 scores.
Good stuff. Our closing speed on defense is pretty impressive. The only 2 guys who cant fly around are the DT's. We had some guys suspended that game and Woods was hurt.

It is in your estimation that Carey is the faster of the two teams in this matchup?

Again, I've only watched the WJ game but it looks like we will have a substantial speed advantage. The Cavs ran some jet sweep type plays that got to the edge on that WJ defense that wont have much success on our D. Conti will be the fastest guy on the field by far. Our LB's are very quick. The MLB who's a junior now was a starting TB as a freshman. I worry about #88. Our pass d is not great. I wont be shocked if CW leans pretty heavily on the pass game.

Again only one game Ive seen, but both those teams look slow. There wasnt a whole lot of speed on the field in that one.

Again, I've only watched the WJ game but it looks like we will have a substantial speed advantage. The Cavs ran some jet sweep type plays that got to the edge on that WJ defense that wont have much success on our D. Conti will be the fastest guy on the field by far. Our LB's are very quick. The MLB who's a junior now was a starting TB as a freshman. I worry about #88. Our pass d is not great. I wont be shocked if CW leans pretty heavily on the pass game.

Again only one game Ive seen, but both those teams look slow. There wasnt a whole lot of speed on the field in that one.
With the games you've seen, could you compare H-L's team speed to Coldwater's?

Holy schnikey batman! Not only is Carey the size of a D1 college team, they possess MORE SPEED than CW.

Well, the buckeyes arent in the B10 game saturday but it appears they are playing Saturday at 3pm in Canton.

Coldwater folks: Dont waste your time and money Saturday in making that trip to NEO as this is going to be an absolute blowout. Be thankful if ya can keep this from becoming a running clock. Those small, slow, lethargic, weak kids you produce on a yearly basis is just no match this weekend. When I was watching in on WOSN yesterday I thought there was a video problem with it being in slow motion but I called their service line and there were no issues, the team was just that s l o w.

Bigger, faster and stronger than the Cavaliers...........Well, it was a decent season for the Cavaliers. 3 losses is a bit below par but at least a trip to the finals is something to hang your hat on. They do lose pretty much all their offensive production so Saturday is likely the beginning of the end of the Cavalier football program as they, and the MAC, will be way down next year. It was a good run and something the Buzzards should be very proud of.

P.S.
Where can I get my Carey State Championship Hoodie?

Last edited:
With the games you've seen, could you compare H-L's team speed to Coldwater's?
Holy schnikey batman! Not only is Carey the size of a D1 college team, they possess MORE SPEED than CW.

Well, the buckeyes arent in the B10 game saturday but it appears they are playing Saturday at 3pm in Canton.

Coldwater folks: Dont waste your time and money Saturday in making that trip to NEO as this is going to be an absolute blowout. Be thankful if ya can keep this from becoming a running clock. Those small, slow, lethargic, weak kids you produce on a yearly basis is just no match this weekend. When I was watching in on WOSN yesterday I thought there was a video problem with it being in slow motion but I called their service line and there were no issues, the team was just that s l o w.

Bigger, faster and stronger than the Cavaliers...........Well, it was a decent season for the Cavaliers. 3 losses is a bit below par but at least a trip to the finals is something to hang your hat on. They do lose pretty much all their offensive production so Saturday is likely the beginning of the end of the Cavalier football program as they, and the MAC, will be way down next year. It was a good run and something the Buzzards should be very proud of.

P.S.
Probably Kimmels in Upper Sandusky. They carry Carey gear.

P.S.
If Carey compares to OSU defensively, I'll take CW by 4 scores.

Gauging speed through the eye test is so subjective to personal bias and a is poor aspect to argue. Both of the teams in this game have speed and size. It comes down to game plan execution, limiting mistakes/penalties and good coaching. Carey in week 1 was nowhere near who they are now. Vallejo barely touched the ball that game because they weren’t sure about that style. He ran it 7 times that game. He ran it 31 times Sat against NMS for 150+ Yards. Their identity is set, and their running game is something any D6 team will struggle to stop, even CW. Should be fun.

I'm sure you mean well my friend but you will be sorely mistaken. The 4 receivers that Coldwater implements is considered by many the fastest and quickest group in Coldwater history. 2 of These guys are Track All State performers and the 3rd guy that runs track is faster then them 2, Slot guy plays Baseball and he's faster than all of them combined. If we are considered slow I'd hate to see what speed looks like.

I am still trying to figure out how Archbold lost. Anyway, I am taking Carey. Coldwater is a little down this year.
Archbold got beat up on the line of scrimmage by Liberty Center who in turn got beat up on the line of scrimmage by Carey. Newman would have been able to make a couple of plays here and there (like Brungard did) but there is no way in heck that Archbold stops Carey's run game. That OL and DL for Carey would have wreaked havoc on Archbold.

Y'all can talk all the speed you want, but this game will come down to the trenches. Carey's Oline is the REAL DEAL. That said, have yet to see a CW line that doesn't execute at an incredibly high level.

This is gonna be a fun one!

P.S.

Got us a 12 year old here, boys.

Got us a 12 year old here, boys.
You're new.
thavoice is the MAC/Coldwater's sandbag factory who's been on these kinda forums for years.
kids-predicaments.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.