Northwest Ohio Realignment

Still not saying we'd be interested, but a Bryan, Wauseon, Defiance finish to a 14 team NLL would be the best bet for the NLL.
In my opinion I see it more likely IF Kenton were to leave the WBL ( Highly unlikely again IMO) that Napoleon would be a better fit in the WBL - Next to the NWOAL I don't see change in the future for either league - but why would Defiance leave the most stable league in NW Ohio ( and for trophies in boys competitiveness - the WBL is better than the NLL - look it up! ) for the NLL- makes little sense to me.

In my opinion I see it more likely IF Kenton were to leave the WBL ( Highly unlikely again IMO) that Napoleon would be a better fit in the WBL - Next to the NWOAL I don't see change in the future for either league - but why would Defiance leave the most stable league in NW Ohio ( and for trophies in boys competitiveness - the WBL is better than the NLL - look it up! ) for the NLL- makes little sense to me.

I don't disagree and I don't think we are or will be interested. Just that the logical and probably desired result for the NLL is those 3 finishing out a 14 team league. You could break it up 7/7 ot 8/6, but it's clearly THEIR best end result.

I also don't see any of the 3 being interested unless forced to be. If the NWOAL broke up and the WBL nudged Defiance in that direction at the same time, then maybe. But 40 years of stability in the WBL tells me nothing will happen there, and unless the NWOAL loses 3 instead of 1 they'll survive too.

As for why Defiance would....to be the 12th, they wouldn't. For any reason. There's no reason to when we already play Napoleon, and would simply replace Van Wert (who is our most played football opponent of anyone) with Bryan (obvious rival, but no football history in 50 years.) The travel would be similar, the schedule might lead itself to a couple more wins and some playoff berths, but we'd also end up having to find at least week 2 and 3 if not week 4 and 5 games. The end results would be a wash if not negative.

But say Bryan and Wauseon WOULD jump. You'd now have the historical big 3 of the NWOAL back together, another close opponent for each of us in Wauseon, and a minimum of 6, MAYBE 7 games scheduled. And with an 8 team WBL which I'd think would be the end result, we can pick up VW and maybe even OG non league and have a game we could schedule around where we're at at that point left. At that point, everything starts looking like a minor win to jump. Easier schedule with non league flexibility to schedule the WBL teams we care about/good points games. All of our closest, similar sized schools in the league, helping reduce travel time. Stability would be the issue and I could and probably would see them NOT going because of it. But there would definitely be reasons why it could be done if we wanted to.

I really do think the end result though will either be Napoleon replacing Swanton (putting the NWOAL at 8 and NLL at 10 with no need for anymore movement), or Napoleon passes and the NWC tries to pry Tinora out of the GMC, with the GMC likely making a run at Crestview then settling on Edon or Montpelier when turned down. From there, everything stays calm for a few years.

Why? They fit right in with NBC three of the conference schools are in Wood county

But while I agree they fit in the NBC, it's not like the idea of them in the NWOAL is that far fetched. I mean they border both LC and PH. It's 46 minutes to OH. 55 to Bryan. 38 to Fostoria. 45 to Archbold. 37 to Genoa. 40 to Evergreen, 39 to Wauseon. They'd add a little travel, but not a ridiculous amount.

I'd think Tinora or Napoleon fit better, but if Otsego for some reason wanted to move they'd be welcomed in.

Tru

But while I agree they fit in the NBC, it's not like the idea of them in the NWOAL is that far fetched. I mean they border both LC and PH. It's 46 minutes to OH. 55 to Bryan. 38 to Fostoria. 45 to Archbold. 37 to Genoa. 40 to Evergreen, 39 to Wauseon. They'd add a little travel, but not a ridiculous amount.

I'd think Tinora or Napoleon fit better, but if Otsego for some reason wanted to move they'd be welcomed in.
e on points not to much more travel time. I went to Elmwood so I know all the rivals in this league. I know Elmwood is leaving for the BVC for reasons but I think Otsego shouldn’t go anywhere the compete really well

PH goes nowhere unless either the NWOAL implodes or goes big school crazy. Napoleon AND Defiance, somehow could push them out. Of course, that's not happening. I think they'd be OK with Napoleon and certainly ok with Tinora or Otsego.

I agree. Fostoria, as a city and district, has fallen on hard times. They need to move to the SBC. Sandusky or Perkins would be a better fit.
693 - Sandusky
567 - Maumee
474 - Perkins
432 - Rossford
400 - Oak Harbor
398 - Fostoria
362 - Eastwood
361 - Lake
358 - Otsego
341 - Genoa

Perkins, and certainly Sandusky, are not a better fit.

Last edited:
If I was running the BVC I’d be Uber aggressive and try to land PH and Fostoria while telling Vanlue they can stick around for everything but football.
I agree with adding Patrick Henry, but not Fostoria. If the BVC were to be "uber aggressive," they need to get Leipsic back and make Carey say no. Could you imagine the BVC with Arlington, Arcadia, Carey, Elmwood, McComb, Patrick-Henry, Leipsic, Liberty-Benton, Pandora-Gilboa, Riverdale, and Van Buren? Play a 7-game rotation in football. That would be a very solid league. With that said, I think Carey is the longest shot of coming in. But if PH comes in and Leipsic were to come back, I feel it would be enticing for Carey.

Last edited:
I agree with adding Patrick Henry, but not Fostoria. If the BVC were to be "uber aggressive," they need to get Leipsic back and make Carey say no. Could you imagine the BVC with Arlington, Arcadia, Carey, Elmwood, McComb, Patrick-Henry? Leipsic, Liberty-Benton, Pandora-Gilboa, Riverdale, and Van Buren? Play a 7-game rotation in football. That would be a very solid league. With that said, I think Carey is the longest shot of coming in. But if PH comes in and Leipsic were to come back, I feel it would be enticing for Carey.
If that is the new BVC Arcadia doesn't really belong. Move them out and you got a nice 10 schools.

Perkins and Sandusky play in a competitive Conference with great travel. In my best Jon Gruden voice (am I allowed to use his name?), I don't see it happening, man!

I don't disagree and I don't think we are or will be interested. Just that the logical and probably desired result for the NLL is those 3 finishing out a 14 team league. You could break it up 7/7 ot 8/6, but it's clearly THEIR best end result.

I also don't see any of the 3 being interested unless forced to be. If the NWOAL broke up and the WBL nudged Defiance in that direction at the same time, then maybe. But 40 years of stability in the WBL tells me nothing will happen there, and unless the NWOAL loses 3 instead of 1 they'll survive too.

As for why Defiance would....to be the 12th, they wouldn't. For any reason. There's no reason to when we already play Napoleon, and would simply replace Van Wert (who is our most played football opponent of anyone) with Bryan (obvious rival, but no football history in 50 years.) The travel would be similar, the schedule might lead itself to a couple more wins and some playoff berths, but we'd also end up having to find at least week 2 and 3 if not week 4 and 5 games. The end results would be a wash if not negative.

But say Bryan and Wauseon WOULD jump. You'd now have the historical big 3 of the NWOAL back together, another close opponent for each of us in Wauseon, and a minimum of 6, MAYBE 7 games scheduled. And with an 8 team WBL which I'd think would be the end result, we can pick up VW and maybe even OG non league and have a game we could schedule around where we're at at that point left. At that point, everything starts looking like a minor win to jump. Easier schedule with non league flexibility to schedule the WBL teams we care about/good points games. All of our closest, similar sized schools in the league, helping reduce travel time. Stability would be the issue and I could and probably would see them NOT going because of it. But there would definitely be reasons why it could be done if we wanted to.

I really do think the end result though will either be Napoleon replacing Swanton (putting the NWOAL at 8 and NLL at 10 with no need for anymore movement), or Napoleon passes and the NWC tries to pry Tinora out of the GMC, with the GMC likely making a run at Crestview then settling on Edon or Montpelier when turned down. From there, everything stays calm for a few years.
I’ll be shocked if Defiance does actually move.

I agree with adding Patrick Henry, but not Fostoria. If the BVC were to be "uber aggressive," they need to get Leipsic back and make Carey say no. Could you imagine the BVC with Arlington, Arcadia, Carey, Elmwood, McComb, Patrick-Henry? Leipsic, Liberty-Benton, Pandora-Gilboa, Riverdale, and Van Buren? Play a 7-game rotation in football. That would be a very solid league. With that said, I think Carey is the longest shot of coming in. But if PH comes in and Leipsic were to come back, I feel it would be enticing for Carey.
That would be a great league

693 - Sandusky
567 - Maumee
474 - Perkins
432 - Rossford
400 - Oak Harbor
398 - Fostoria
362 - Eastwood
361 - Lake
358 - Otsego
341 - Genoa

Perkins, and certainly Sandusky, are not a better fit.
Numbers arent everything. Look at the Toledo City League enrollment numbers and compare them to the NLL or NBC. In almost every sport, the City League would lose almost every game; with the exception of basketball. Fostoria may have a decent amount of kids; more than Otesego and Eastwood. But program-wise and community-wise, it has a tough time competing again the rest of the league.

Eastwood has always punched above its weight class. Fostoria punches below theirs; as do the City League schools and Lima Senior (except in football and basketball).

Numbers arent everything. Look at the Toledo City League enrollment numbers and compare them to the NLL or NBC. In almost every sport, the City League would lose almost every game; with the exception of basketball. Fostoria may have a decent amount of kids; more than Otesego and Eastwood. But program-wise and community-wise, it has a tough time competing again the rest of the league.

Eastwood has always punched above its weight class. Fostoria punches below theirs; as do the City League schools and Lima Senior (except in football and basketball).
And yet Perkins, and certainly Sandusky, are not a better fit.

At this point any league with any chance of losing someone should be ultra aggressive. Sitting around and watching isn’t the answer.

At this point any league with any chance of losing someone should be ultra aggressive. Sitting around and watching isn’t the answer.
That's what the NLL did and now they have an 11 team league that doesn't really work and the schools in the middle all complaining about who will be forced to play in the big division.

Or they could have sat around and watched Maumee leave anyway and then replace them with Clay and still have a fairly compact and competitive 8-team league.

But hey, at least Findlay doesn't have to play the three Toledo Catholic schools anymore, but what good that does the NLL I have no idea.

Last edited: