Playoff disaster looming?

Curious One

Has anyone noticed that there are 10 D1 teams without a win halfway through the season? With 16 playoff schools per region, at least 6 will be playoff teams! Beside some colossal mismatches, what about the physical well being of those players? What about the message being sent to the kids?

Has anyone noticed that there are 10 D1 teams without a win halfway through the season? With 16 playoff schools per region, at least 6 will be playoff teams! Beside some colossal mismatches, what about the physical well being of those players? What about the message being sent to the kids?
How is their physical well-being any different than when they play a loaded team in a week six for example? What message does it send to the kids? I’m curious as to what your interpretation is. Most kids will look at that as an excuse to be able to play another game probably a game that they love probably the last game they will ever play for most of the seniors.

Yeah, I don't kmow why suddenly week 11 its a big deal that (using R1 as an example) 1-9 Euclid or 1-9 Lorain has to play 10-0 or 9-1 Medina, like it's a danger to the kids, yet in Week 6 and 9 when those exact same matchups happened, it was no big deal.

Say you don't agree with or like 16 team playoffs. That's all you have to say. Most won't disagree, and those that do will at least respect your position. But don't say it's "looking out for the kids" when those exact type of matchups happen all season with zero complaints.

What message?

BCFA4652-5BDA-42B8-B5EF-8CAA2C526136.jpeg

Question. In division 1, if there are 18 teams in a region and the 15th thru 18th teams in the region finishes 0-10, How do the decide who gets to play in the playoffs?

Division 1 should just take the top 8 and have a bye week imo

I hear a lot of talk about spring football in Ohio... This one extra game that most teams will get is your spring football. Extra week of practice, extra reps, playing against superior talent. I don't see the difference in playing in week 11 vs week 1-10.

Call me callous, but in D1 the teams should all be pretty evenly matched in terms of enrollment numbers and other factors.

Not like a big D1 is playing a D5 school.

Pretty sure the running clock still applies in the playoffs.

Rarely have I seen a team firmly in command not play 2nd string and beyond running simple running plays once the game is decided.

I certainly understand the possible disparities that can exist between inner city schools vs. affluent suburban highs but by and large, most schools are not at the opposite end of the spectrum. A school like Oak Hills might get boat raced by say St. X in round one but I would think the OH players will hardly cry themselves to sleep after the games.

Something tells me most high school football players find ways to drown their sorrows after defeat the same ways they celebrate victories.

Question. In division 1, if there are 18 teams in a region and the 15th thru 18th teams in the region finishes 0-10, How do the decide who gets to play in the playoffs?

Division 1 should just take the top 8 and have a bye week imo

This has been answered about 36 times if you look around......

But to make it easy for you:

First tiebreaker is L3 points (all would have 0)

Second tiebreaker is, I believe, who won head to head (as all would be 0-10, clearly that's no one)

Third is opponent wins. Most likely it ends there and the toughest schedule gets it.

Fourth is, I believe, winning percentage. Not sure if that's the teams win percentage (all would be 0) or opponents.

Fifth is a coin flip.

Call me callous, but in D1 the teams should all be pretty evenly matched in terms of enrollment numbers and other factors.

Not like a big D1 is playing a D5 school.

Pretty sure the running clock still applies in the playoffs.

Rarely have I seen a team firmly in command not play 2nd string and beyond running simple running plays once the game is decided.

I certainly understand the possible disparities that can exist between inner city schools vs. affluent suburban highs but by and large, most schools are not at the opposite end of the spectrum. A school like Oak Hills might get boat raced by say St. X in round one but I would think the OH players will hardly cry themselves to sleep after the games.

Something tells me most high school football players find ways to drown their sorrows after defeat the same ways they celebrate victories.

THANK YOU!

It's not like we get to week 11 and suddenly Vanlue with 11 kids is playing St. X. Most D1 teams have at least some depth. Talent isn't there, but just like the regular season backups will play in blowouts and and very few freshmen are starting anyway. The idea that some 5 foot nothing, hundred and nothing 14 year old will be going up against D1 prospects just because his team is 0-10 and the other is 10-0 is an unfounded fear. Those kids are only playing varsity at the bottom of D6 or D7, and MAYBE a couple of inner city schools.

Here are the enrollment numbers for boys in 2018. I am not sure a 691 boy difference is even enrollment numbers. Enrollment is not a valid argument here. In my opinion.

https://www.ohsaa.org/school-resources/school-enrollment

MASON 1299
FAIRFIELD 1237
ST IGNATIUS 1163
ST XAVIER 1083
CENTERVILLE 1049
HAMILTON 1026
LAKOTA EAST 998
LAKOTA WEST 998
BEAVERCREEK 959
MENTOR 937
WEST CLERMONT 926
OAK HILLS 917
BRUNSWICK 915
REYNOLDSBURG 915
GAHANNA LINCOLN 893
CANTON McKINLEY SENIOR 872
LORAIN 872
KETTERING FAIRMONT 865
MEDINA 861
WHITMER 839
OLENTANGY LIBERTY 832
OLENTANGY ORANGE 832
SPRINGFIELD 831
SPRINGBORO 818
MILFORD 789
DUBLIN COFFMAN 785
GROVEPORT MADISON 778
GROVE CITY 764
WESTERN HILLS 764
WESTLAND 761
ELYRIA 760
COLERAIN 748
STRONGSVILLE 748
HILLIARD DAVIDSON 745
WAYNE 742
NEWARK 729
WALNUT HILLS 728
LANCASTER 724
GLENOAK 722
ST EDWARD 722
BEREA-MIDPARK 719
DUBLIN JEROME 719
WESTERVILLE CENTRAL 715
JACKSON 711
UPPER ARLINGTON 702
PICKERINGTON HIGH SCHOOL CENTRAL 699
HILLIARD BRADLEY 693
START 691
NORTHMONT 688
PRINCETON 686
THOMAS WORTHINGTON 682
ARCHBISHOP MOELLER 676
EUCLID 673
PERRYSBURG 672
MIDDLETOWN 671
CLEVELAND HEIGHTS 668
LEBANON 666
MARYSVILLE 662
HILLIARD DARBY 657
SYCAMORE 657
STOW-MUNROE FALLS 647
PICKERINGTON HIGH SCHOOL NORTH 642
SOLON 636
DELAWARE HAYES 634
MIAMISBURG 632
CENTRAL CROSSING 624
SHAKER HEIGHTS 624
WESTERVILLE NORTH 623
NEW ALBANY 608

Expect a lot of big time blow outs Round One and most likely Round Two.
Agreed. You will probably see Round One hosts get blown out too. If they had a super cupcake schedule and got in as 7 or 8 seed, they will host and probably get waxed. I'm not sure if that is beneficial for your program or not??

I don't follow the D1 teams that much, I just realized with 16 teams making the playoffs, in D1 all but like 7 teams will make the playoffs.

The OHSAA did this on their own without consulting the Coaches Association. The Ohio Football Coaches Association was against this.

#16 vs. #1 is extremely pointless. #1 seeds just pray no starters get hurt in meaningless game.
#1 seed teams will do what they always do when they play an overmatched opponent. Why are some people acting like over-matched opponents and blow-outs don't happen regularly? They're still playing football and there is no differencece from playing an overmatched team in week 5 compared to week 11. I have even more news, there has been plenty of lopsided playoff games when there were only 8 teams making it in.

MASON 1299
FAIRFIELD 1237
ST IGNATIUS 1163
ST XAVIER 1083
CENTERVILLE 1049
HAMILTON 1026
LAKOTA EAST 998
LAKOTA WEST 998
BEAVERCREEK 959
MENTOR 937
WEST CLERMONT 926
OAK HILLS 917

The 12 largest schools.

Half of these teams lose more than they win, to schools with enrollments in the 600-800 range. They have lost to D2-D5 schools this season.

Mentor is the only public here with a long running successful program. Lakota West may have something cooking. Mason and Lakota East hover around and just above .500.

They do less with more.

Pick Central (not going to get into any "roster building" discussions) has 699. Their performance speaks for its self.

New Albany would beat most of the publics on this list.

But I guess I was raised with the mindset of if you are always consumed with worrying about things being fair, you will never do or be your best.

I think the state and people around it just need to adjust to the practice of teams getting the crap kicked out of them for the first two weeks of the playoffs. Will there be some upsets, yes, but for the most part the opening weekend of the playoffs you will have scores 60+ to 0.

There isn't a lot of difference in the state basketball tournament, the first round or two are 30-50 point victories.

The gap between the haves and the have nots is getting bigger, and I don't think you can stop it.

MASON 1299
FAIRFIELD 1237
ST IGNATIUS 1163
ST XAVIER 1083
CENTERVILLE 1049
HAMILTON 1026
LAKOTA EAST 998
LAKOTA WEST 998
BEAVERCREEK 959
MENTOR 937
WEST CLERMONT 926
OAK HILLS 917

The 12 largest schools.

Half of these teams lose more than they win, to schools with enrollments in the 600-800 range. They have lost to D2-D5 schools this season.

Mentor is the only public here with a long running successful program. Lakota West may have something cooking. Mason and Lakota East hover around and just above .500.

They do less with more.

Pick Central (not going to get into any "roster building" discussions) has 699. Their performance speaks for its self.

New Albany would beat most of the publics on this list.

But I guess I was raised with the mindset of if you are always consumed with worrying about things being fair, you will never do or be your best.
There is definitely diminishing returns the higher you go up to the point that it doesn't make a meaningful difference after a certain enrollment level. There is only finite amount of players that play a football game.