Overrated movies

Had to Google "Top movies all time" and "Top grossing movies all time" just to get a feel of popular/well received movies out there. I don't care for superheroes, special effects, or horror films. So I'll automatically leave those off.
That being said I couldn't for the life of me remain interested at all on Avatar. Couldn't finish it, don't get the hype. Except for the special effects I guess

Had to Google "Top movies all time" and "Top grossing movies all time" just to get a feel of popular/well received movies out there. I don't care for superheroes, special effects, or horror films. So I'll automatically leave those off.
That being said I couldn't for the life of me remain interested at all on Avatar. Couldn't finish it, don't get the hype. Except for the special effects I guess

That’s why Avatar is up there. It had groundbreaking CGI and 3-D effects, along with an international appeal.

Good call.

I always thought the first three Star Wars movies looked more realistic than the later ones with all the CGI BS.

Harumph. I didn't think that badly of Avatar. Poorly-disguised environmental message from Al Gore to be sure, but the concept was certainly interesting, and it was entertaining overall.

I liked Avatar, no apologies. Is it considered to be highly rated historically? Looking at the awards for that year, I think it was about right. Avatar was nominated with no major wins. Got some for effects, which was deserved.

MY favorite from that year is Up. 9 was good if a bit fluff. Girl With the Dragon Tatoo I thought very under-rated. (Edit: I realized that 2009 was the original. It was the English version I watched in 2011)

Watched Avatar a couple times around time of its release. I don't recall any bad acting or forced message. As a Christian, I wouldn't find any message about taking care of the planet offensive anyhow. The avatar concept and how liberating it was for the marine I found hopeful and interesting and I tend to like movies that explore. If it was poorly done, I probably didn't notice because it was of interest.

Last edited:
POS, anti-American, anti-military, Luddite propaganda

Dang! I missed all that. Must have been when I went to get the popcorn. I didn't come out of it feeling any less American or less supportive of the military. So this use of advanced tech to allow a paraplegic marine was supposed to make me less appreciative of advanced tech? Totally missed that.

Neytiri did have sultry eyes, though.
Are you having urges to give your money to the government, sponsor an indiginous cause or clean a creek of trash?
debc74_7d6a20a48c4544b9a8aab9723dc0f0bd~mv2.webp

Dang! I missed all that. Must have been when I went to get the popcorn. I didn't come out of it feeling any less American or less supportive of the military. So this use of advanced tech to allow a paraplegic marine was supposed to make me less appreciative of advanced tech? Totally missed that.
mankind, its technology, the military in it as American led by Colonel Miles Quaritch are depicted as evil and worthy of destruction. And if you missed that you must have been out getting an awfully big tub of popcorn.

mankind, its technology, the military in it as American led by Colonel Miles Quaritch are depicted as evil and worthy of destruction. And if you missed that you must have been out getting an awfully big tub of popcorn.

I didn't miss that this was not about our modern world. I didn't miss that almost every sci-fi drama ever is a cautionary tale, it's the nature of the genre. I'm not ciriticizing anyone's choice for not liking this movie. Predisposition is going to have an effect.

Do the British get butt-hurt when we make movies about the revolutionary war? I wonder. If so, we should make more movies about the Revolutionary War. :D

Alot of English don't like Revolutionary War movies.
Mel Gibson must be your dream star with two extremely Anti-English movies Braveheart and the Patriot. Heck they even make up atrocities for English to commit.
Mel hates the English almost as much as he hates the Jews.

Alot of English don't like Revolutionary War movies.
Mel Gibson must be your dream star with two extremely Anti-English movies Braveheart and the Patriot. Heck they even make up atrocities for English to commit.
Mel hates the English almost as much as he hates the Jews.

"Alot"

How many is that?

You don't think you're exposing your own mental weakness, getting all upset just because someone else enjoyed a movie you didn't? Didn't read into it the same things you did?

I noticed you didn't parry even a single fact I put up. Give you another chance. Let's see if you can show some moral strenght instead of cheap shots. ;)

1) I didn't miss that this was not about our modern world.
2) I didn't miss that almost every sci-fi drama ever is a cautionary tale, it's the nature of the genre.
3) I'm not ciriticizing anyone's choice for not liking this movie.
4) Predisposition is going to have an effect.

"Alot"

How many is that?

You don't think you're exposing your own mental weakness, getting all upset just because someone else enjoyed a movie you didn't? Didn't read into it the same things you did?

I noticed you didn't parry even a single fact I put up. Give you another chance. Let's see if you can show some moral strenght instead of cheap shots. ;)

1) I didn't miss that this was not about our modern world.
2) I didn't miss that almost every sci-fi drama ever is a cautionary tale, it's the nature of the genre.
3) I'm not ciriticizing anyone's choice for not liking this movie.
4) Predisposition is going to have an effect.The

The Brits were pissed.

The people in the film are presented as present day Americans with some new futuristic equipment. Most of them are the obvious villains of tale, except the traitors to their species who would doom mankind.
There are a nearly unlimited number of way to represent our future. Cameron picked one that presented an extremely negative projection of the American military, our technology, economy and lifestyle.

Last edited:

One movie? lol. Can we make more of them? That doesn't appear to be from anyone official. Is that the by-line of the Queen or the Prime Minister? It doesn't even appear to be from a Brit. It's CBS. If it did piss them off, can we have more of them? I may have to watch that movie now.

The people in the film are presented as present day Americans with some new futuristic equipment. Most of them are the obvious villains of tale, except the traitors to their species who would doom mankind.
There are a nearly unlimited number of way to represent our future. Cameron picked one that presented an extremely negative projection of the American military, our technology, economy and lifestyle.

You seriously just wrote, "traitor to their species..." What were you thinking. Sieg Heil!!!!

The treatment given "big business" or "military ambition" is no different than any of the ubiquitous dystopian and apolcolyptic movies or for that matter, most sci-fi. They're cautionary tales, not documentaries. That's the genre, its raison d'etre."

I get it, you want to see only movies that support your predispose ideology. That's fine. Sometimes I do too. Some people like to be challenged on occasion.

Here, just for you.
A Rosie Future

I don't know how you get they were "dooming mankind" nor honestly do I care. I would bet most never read anything into it. After your complaint, I did some googling. Yes there were some right-wing bloggers looking for reasons to get their name attached to a very high grossing movie in the only way they could. I'm fine with your discomfort and theirs. It's your business. To me, it was an imaginary tale of hope and over-coming with really cool effects to which I assigned no corrolation to present days or institutions.

You seem desperate to try and make me not like this movie. Can't you just be happy that the movie made you miserable?

Last edited:
One movie? lol. Can we make more of them? That doesn't appear to be from anyone official. Is that the by-line of the Queen or the Prime Minister? It doesn't even appear to be from a Brit. It's CBS. If it did piss them off, can we have more of them? I may have to watch that movie now.

You seriously just wrote, "traitor to their species..." What were you thinking. Sieg Heil!!!!

The treatment given "big business" or "military ambition" is no different than any of the ubiquitous dystopian and apolcolyptic movies or for that matter, most sci-fi. They're cautionary tales, not documentaries. That's the genre, its raison d'etre."

I get it, you want to see only movies that support your predispose ideology. That's fine. Sometimes I do too. Some people like to be challenged on occasion.

Here, just for you.
A Rosie Future

I don't know how you get they were "dooming mankind" nor honestly do I care. I would bet most never read anything into it. After your complaint, I did some googling. Yes there were some right-wing bloggers looking for reasons to get their name attached to a very high grossing movie in the only way they could. I'm fine with your discomfort and theirs. It's your business. To me, it was an imaginary tale of hope and over-coming with really cool effects to which I assigned no corrolation to present days or institutions.

You seem desperate to try and make me not like this movie. Can't you just be happy that the movie made you miserable?
From the beginning of our discussion I never saw any hope in converting you to the light. I am just presenting an alternative view to yours. It was obvious with your consistent efforts to advocate for the picture no matter what James Cameron’s obvious motive was. James Cameron wrote, produced and directed the movie, it is completely his in every way
Some people like Cameron are blatantly Anti-American and others like yourself are their apologists who do their best to excuse and defend them.
And the main character who is presented by Cameron as the hero is a traitor to his species. In the movie mankind needs the energy of the planet for its survival. The main character fights to stop them from obtaining it and drive human from the planet, dooming our species.
He is a traitor to mankind

Sheesh. It was just a movie.

I still remember the time my wife made me watch "Caveman", which was one of her favorite movies back then:

Me - "Shelley Long? Overrated!"
Mrs. Zunardo - "Catherine Bach? Overrated!"

That rift has never healed.

Sheesh. It was just a movie.

Apparently it was unlicensed propaganda he was forced to see repeatedly. That's about all I can figure with his obsession. Sucks to be him. Thing made 2 Billion dollars. He's got a lot of convincing to do.

From the beginning of our discussion I never saw any hope in converting you to the light. I am just presenting an alternative view to yours.

The only view I gave was that I liked the movie. All this time, you've been presenting an alternative view that I didn't like the movie?

"traitor to their species..." :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
I didn't give a "view" on any underlying messages. lol. I just said I enjoyed the movie. Sieg Heil!I
my mistake, I thought you actually read what you wrote which was in each post a set of rationalizations or active endorsements of Cameron anti-American movie with its hateful message.

But what can one expect from who considers my support for survival of all mankind as Hitlerian.

my mistake, I thought you actually read what you wrote which was in each post a set of rationalizations or active endorsements of Cameron anti-American movie with its hateful message.

But what can one expect from who considers my support for survival of all mankind as Hitlerian.

You never did answer when I asked where in the movie they were dooming all mankind, so if the "hitlerian" shoe fits... and unless you can quote where I said everyone or anyone should run out and see that movie (I'm presuming you actually know the definition of "endorsement") then yes, it was your mistake. TY for the admission. But don't let that slow you. Drama Queen away.

"traitor to their species..." :ROFLMAO:

1. # 84
isadore said:
In the movie mankind needs the energy of the planet for its survival. The main character fights to stop them from obtaining it and drive human from the planet, dooming our species.
and HItlerian fits you.
eastisbest said:
Watched Avatar a couple times around time of its release. I don't recall any bad acting or forced message. As a Christian, I wouldn't find any message about taking care of the planet offensive anyhow. The avatar concept and how liberating it was for the marine I found hopeful and interesting
an endorsement + rationalization for Cameron's anti-American message.

aww look. A cheap shot. With the usual lack of reason dared put up to support it. Fairly consistent for you.
The movie's message is debatable, but you missed it completely.

Brilliant.