MLB pulls draft, All-Star game from Atlanta over voting rights

MLB commissioner is an idiot and probably has no idea what the bill actually reads. He probably caved as soon as Stacey Abrams number came up on his cell so don't let the door hit you on the way out.

MLB commissioner is an idiot and probably has no idea what the bill actually reads. He probably caved as soon as Stacey Abrams number came up on his cell so don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Exactly, the broke Dolans traded their team's mascot to him for an ASG, and you can bet the Indians name change is tied to more cash in their pockets.

Pretty racist of MLB to pull one of the events of the summer from one of most important cities to African Americans

I'd hold judgment on that until knowing for sure that this wasn't done in coordination with Atlanta and Fulton representatives. My guess, it was as a snub to Cobb, primarily white and who cut their early voting center numbers in half before the last election. Regardless, it's hardly a way to make lemonade out of lemons.

Last edited:
I'd be surprised if the city willingly reneged on the All-Star game

To make this point? Certain elements wouldn't hesitate in the least. I'm going to guess I'm a bit more familiar with the... culture around there having lived there. Doesn't mean I'm declaring myself right, just a bit more infomation floating in my head.

The game is outside the beltway. The Atlantans most offended by the new laws do not consider that "Atlanta." Though the ballpark is in Biden teritory and the county in general voted for Hillary, East Cobb and much of the northern part of the county voted for Trump. I don't believe MLB would have been so stupid to do this without first knowing they weren't going to get backlash from the part of the community most offended by the law.

It will hit "Biden" district businesses very heavily though.

Last edited:
Kind of funny they said "thoughtful conversations".

This is awesome. I say they get everything out of Georgia. Time to move the airport. Maybe they could move I-95 out into the ocean a little bit so us good people don't have to deal the the scourge that is Georgia. Move the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons to Hilton Head. These thoughtful conversations could turn Georgia into a wasteland.

Kind of funny they said "thoughtful conversations".

This is awesome. I say they get everything out of Georgia. Time to move the airport. Maybe they could move I-95 out into the ocean a little bit so us good people don't have to deal the the scourge that is Georgia. Move the Braves, Hawks, and Falcons to Hilton Head. These thoughtful conversations could turn Georgia into a wasteland.

Jacksonville Airport is about as in the boonies as it could be, could easily expand far beyond Hartsfield's capacity. Has to be tempting for them to sieze an opportunity. Though best to keep in mind, Jacksonville is heavy and proud red-neck.

Jacksonville Airport is about as in the boonies as it could be, could easily expand far beyond Hartsfield's capacity. Has to be tempting for them to sieze an opportunity. Though best to keep in mind, Jacksonville is heavy and proud red-neck.
Florida will be next on their hit list. They could also move everything to Hilton Head. They have a little airport too. One of these days, South Carolina will do something that offends the wrong people and then we can start moving highways and airports from there too. North Carolina could be the lucky recipient if the SJWs have forgotten the evil bathroom bill.

It's time to eliminate all associations with any southern state that was around during the Jim Crow era. No more Amazon, no Fed ex, no UPS. Pull every NBA, NFL and MLB franchise and be done with rewarding white owners who make more than $75,000 per year.

The only way we can defeat racism is to act in a total ban against white people. Once all white businesses are eliminated then the names of the southern states can be changed to proper African names and we can get back to normal.

Says it succinctly. You can't solve a problem if your solution is to walk away from it. There was no emergency here. Though whatever communities are now in the running to get the game might see a money grab oppotunity, there are going to be political opponents in that community that will boycott and disrupt. MLB has potentially made the game poison.

Pretty sure every white person is racist ??

Most white people aren’t racist , but we have quite a few on here. Funny to watch as society reacts to the holier than thou crowd as they get stepped on and deservedly so.

Look, a dying sport is trying to hasten the process by jumping off a bridge!

Why would MLB get involved in a political debate in a country divided right down the middle? It's bad business any way you look at it

Voting rights has to balance two competing ideas:

1) access and ease of voting for all eligible citizens

2) ensure that only eligible citizens get a SINGLE vote.

Both of these are fundamental to a fair voting process. You can quibble over whether this bill goes to far in one direct but that is a political question to decide. Having read the Bill I think it does a nice job of balancing the two essential components of voting integrity. Others will disagree.

Baseball has no business stepping into this fight. It's dumb.

Couple of things.
1. What is the percentage of fans let in at Atlanta right now? Or in July during All star Tuesday? Won't be 100% like the Rangers so I can't see a huge financial hit.
2. Don't forget this isn't the 1st time sports did this. Remember Arizona lost the Super Bowl during the King holiday controversy? Others followed and Arizona soon fell in line. The almighty dollar spoke
If Georgia loses other future events (and huge paydays) don't be surprised to see a change of heart in the next year or two.
3. This ' Make sure all White businesses' and ' Pull all NBA NFL etc out the south' rhetoric is silly. Nobody is remotely saying this. Except certain posters. Not rewarding a temporary contract (all star game and draft) is not even in the same zip code as removing long established businesses

Couple of things.
1. What is the percentage of fans let in at Atlanta right now? Or in July during All star Tuesday? Won't be 100% like the Rangers so I can't see a huge financial hit.
2. Don't forget this isn't the 1st time sports did this. Remember Arizona lost the Super Bowl during the King holiday controversy? Others followed and Arizona soon fell in line. The almighty dollar spoke
If Georgia loses other future events (and huge paydays) don't be surprised to see a change of heart in the next year or two.
3. This ' Make sure all White businesses' and ' Pull all NBA NFL etc out the south' rhetoric is silly. Nobody is remotely saying this. Except certain posters. Not rewarding a temporary contract (all star game and draft) is not even in the same zip code as removing long established businesses

I don't believe they will fall into line on this. I've read the bill and it's quite good at improving election integrity in Georgia.

For Arizona it was an easy decision to add the King holiday. I'm surprised they held out as long as they did. But for Georgia to back down on this would be a betrayal of a core principal for at least half the states population. That's a much higher bar to reach.

I predict the left will badly overplay their hand here and actually increase opposition within Georgia to change the law back. I also think this will trigger more Georgians to actually read the Bill and wonder what exactly is racist about it.

I don't believe they will fall into line on this. I've read the bill and it's quite good at improving election integrity in Georgia.

For Arizona it was an easy decision to add the King holiday. I'm surprised they held out as long as they did. But for Georgia to back down on this would be a betrayal of a core principal for at least half the states population. That's a much higher bar to reach.

I predict the left will badly overplay their hand here and actually increase opposition within Georgia to change the law back. I also think this will trigger more Georgians to actually read the Bill and wonder what exactly is racist about it.
there is NOTHING wrong with that bill.....