Dr. Seuss being canceled...

I don't think it would have been feasible, by the shear numbers of German-heritage Americans at the time, to target them domestically or go after the motherland with firebombs and the atom bombs like Japan. By this point with the six million or so German immigrants over the previous 100 years "German-Americans" had to easily be the largest ethnic group in this country, although "Americanization" of most in the group was probably much greater than during WWI.

As done in many political cartoons from the time including those from Dr. Seuss, IMO it was much easier to portray and sell Japan and the Japanese as being "other" and repugnant or vile than the European axis alliance members, especially Germany, as there were very few Japanese and Asians in general in this country at the time. At the 1940 census roughly 90% of the country was white, and factoring in blacks accounted for close to 99.5% of the population.
Americans are still more "part German" than any other ethnicity.

There are alternatives for kids to learn to read, just like there are alternatives for people to post whatever they want on social media. Quality may vary, however.

Will not argue that the guy did make the whole learning to read process very much easier, though.
If there are alternatives, why can’t people choose of their own free will to use Dr.Seuss and his catalog of books OR choose to use the alternatives? If I use Dr. Seuss to help my kid learn to read (not to teach the inner workings of the KKK) and you use other means, what’s the big deal?

If there are alternatives, why can’t people choose of their own free will to use Dr.Seuss and his catalog of books OR choose to use the alternatives? If I use Dr. Seuss to help my kid learn to read (not to teach the inner workings of the KKK) and you use other means, what’s the big deal?
Nobody said you couldn’t? Any of his books from 1955~ and on are completely fine. They are good tools for kids to learn! It’s the ones that feature these outdated and harmful stereotypes that are being pushed out the door.

Nobody said you couldn’t? Any of his books from 1955~ and on are completely fine. They are good tools for kids to learn! It’s the ones that feature these outdated and harmful stereotypes that are being pushed out the door.
No wonder we are where we are. How do we make sure these “dangerous” stereotypes are not being taught again? What happens when the other books are found to have an issue? What happens when there is no more Dr.Seuss at all? Again, another attempt to destroy American culture, tear it down, and start with a clean-progressive slate, that will be determined to be offensive in 25 years.

No point in replying with the same point I've made 2-3 times that the only books being taken down are the ones with stereotypes.

I don't know what One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish has to do with racism?? Or how about Green Eggs and Ham? ????

No point in replying with the same point I've made 2-3 times that the only books being taken down are the ones with stereotypes.
Yet you did, my question is how does this ensure that these stereotypes aren’t repeated? Different question(s), keep up.

Basically you're advocating Nazi book burning without the fires. You're just taking it down to a child's level.

Cancel culture on steroids, today being Dr. Seuss day, I think I will read a Dr. Seuss book to my Grandchildren on my portal tv, unless FB has removed all their Dr. Seuss stories from their stories library. In that case I will have to read an actual book from Dr. Seuss.

You know anything WW 2 ? Almost every major German city was " firebombed " to the ground by the Allies. Only reason Berlin was not nuked is because the US decided to let Russia take it plus the A - bomb was not quite completed when the Jerry's surrendered. Look at these pictures of Berlin : https://rarehistoricalphotos.com/berlin-end-war-1945/

Or how about these photos of Dresden : https://www.theatlantic.com/photo/2015/02/remembering-dresden-70-years-after-the-firebombing/385445/

Yeah the US took it " easy " on Germany.

For a number of reasons much higher concentrations of the bombing "mix" in Japan involved incendiaries such as napalm. Much of the bombing that took place in Germany involved more surgical or targeted strikes. The last 12-18 months of the Pacific theater campaign involved more of a carpet bombing approach.

The Tokyo firebomb raid killed around 5x as many people as the Dresden raid and rendered at least a million people homeless. I don't believe I ever deemed the USA "easy" or "soft" on the Germans via bombing, but we certainly didn't level the near the overall degree of aerial punishment and destruction on them that was deployed against the Japanese.

I don't know what One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish has to do with racism?? Or how about Green Eggs and Ham? ????

It's been a long time since I've read a Dr. Seuss book, but I certainly didn't know that Horton Hears a Who! was in part an allegory about Japan. You learn something new every day I suppose.

German cities may have been bombed into rubble, but not by firebombs. Japanese cities were firebombed because their housing was more flammable.

Yeah I know about Dresden. That's a different story.

You say the "only reason" and then give two reasons.

I don't know if we would have nuked the Germans or not. I do know the German government, military, and people were a lot closer to being unable or unwilling to fight in May 1945 than the Japanese government, military, or people were in August.

Before Okinawa, intelligence estimated the war in Japan would take another year and cost 1 million US casualties. (Based upon what we learned later, that is on the low side.) Who would want that?
1st why do you think I put firebomb in quotation marks for ? Dead is dead whether by a firebomb or other types, 2nd sorry I forgot the s on reason, nobody likes the grammar police.

For a number of reasons much higher concentrations of the bombing "mix" in Japan involved incendiaries such as napalm. Much of the bombing that took place in Germany involved more surgical or targeted strikes. The last 12-18 months of the Pacific theater campaign involved more of a carpet bombing approach.

The Tokyo firebomb raid killed around 5x as many people as the Dresden raid and rendered at least a million people homeless. I don't believe I ever deemed the USA "easy" or "soft" on the Germans via bombing, but we certainly didn't level the near the overall degree of aerial punishment and destruction on them that was deployed against the Japanese.
USA waged total war on both countries, as for fire bombing Japan , USA just wanted the Japanese to surrender and when firebombing did not work, America dropped the A bomb on them.

Two completely different wars in those two theaters. Japan had pretty much no navy or army left, and we flew over unmolested.

Germany was not an island unto itself, and was being invaded from the East and West simultaneously.

Just speaking for myself, tired of reading and hearing how awful and racist our ancestors were in all the things they did and accomplished. Dr. Seuss was more than likely a very good person did he have faults sure who doesn't ? But those faults should not over shadow all the good he accomplished, leave all of his books alone. If you don't like them don't read them, don't want your local library to carry them, take your grievances to the people in charge. Back to WW2 was their racism towards the Japanese yes ( their was also racism towards the German's, ever here the terms jerry rigged or kauthead among other names and words to describe the German's ) however how many other countries would completely rebuild a country that attacked them and fought a 3.5 year war with. Doing this while letting this country ( Japan also West Germany ) the freedom to elect their own leaders. Was Russia this gracious with East Germany after WW2 or the European countries with Germany after WW1 ( not nearly ). I have said before and I will say it till I die the USA is the most gracious and least racist country in the world bar none. Just hope our current and future leaders do not destroy 200 years plus of a masterpiece that is called America.

Anything printed as propaganda during the WWII should be off limits. We were literally in the middle of a World War. People from all sides were literally killing each other and we weren't charging people with murder. It was a World War. It is not fair to take a book that was written in response to a World War and use modern interpretations. It was written during a World War when several groups of people were trying to wipe our country off the map. Just to be clear, if a book was written during a World War, we should use the historical point of view about the content than our modern interpretation when we are not in a World War. And yes, it may be inappropriate now but things were different during a World War. Remember, many of those American heroes killed combatants during the World War and no one should judge them because it was during a World War.

It's been a long time since I've read a Dr. Seuss book, but I certainly didn't know that Horton Hears a Who! was in part an allegory about Japan. You learn something new every day I suppose.
I think we'll find out the "perception" of these books are much different than we ever knew. I'd guess the schoolyard game "smear the q#$@&" is probably banned too.... ?

Two completely different wars in those two theaters. Japan had pretty much no navy or army left, and we flew over unmolested.

Germany was not an island unto itself, and was being invaded from the East and West simultaneously.
On the day of surrender, the Imperial Japanese Forces totaled 6,983,000 troops, an aggregate of 154 army ground force divisions, 136 brigades, and some 20-odd major naval units. Army and Navy forces stationed within the home islands numbered 3,532,000; air force units were then integral parts of the Army and Navy. The balance of the Japanese forces were spread in a great arc from Manchuria to the Solomons, and across the islands of the Central and Southwest Pacific.4

I honestly wonder what some of these snowflakes watch on TV, read and what books and shows you read to your children?? Isn't about every child's movie, or book rooted in some kind of good guy/ bad guy thing?

With that said, this actually could be a ploy by Dr. Suess to have a banner year of sales?

We really need to ask Obama if he would like to take back or revise any of his passed statements. I hate to say this but this craziness need to stop. Please stop!