March 1st, Everything Opens, Mask optional, No Restrictions!

But we still have a responsibility to take care of the elderly, for whom it is not minor. I’ve been railing against the fear mongering bulls**t, but it’s a very real & deadly virus if you’re over 70.
I think a lot of people grossly underestimate young vulnerable people. Immunocompromised people, chronic lung conditions, etc. There are a significant amount of people that aren't in the retirement age bracket that this virus wrecks havoc.
Also people like to use death rates as the end all be all for covid. Lots of people get the virus and live, but still suffer hardships. Admission to the hospital. Increased medical bills Missed wages from work. Burning vacation time. Potential complications from the vid

I respect the right of a business to set terms of service...the problem is the store doesnt have the right to implement. Real freedom is Walmart mandates masks, Target says they are optional and the customer can choose. Of course that can't happen because Walmart would get destroyed by the competition which doesn't mandate so the lobby has forced the politicians hand.
Are you sure Walmart would get destroyed by the competition in this scenario? Just because you rather go to a store with lenient mask policy doesnt mean the majority will. Personally I rather go to a place that takes this seriously.

Are you sure Walmart would get destroyed by the competition in this scenario? Just because you rather go to a store with lenient mask policy doesnt mean the majority will. Personally I rather go to a place that takes this seriously.
Eh. Until the dictator threatened to close businesses who didn't comply there was a few spots in my area that didn't make you wear one and they were always busier than normal with those not wanting to wear masks.

We are supposed to have another spike in March
Can't wait till he closes the bars for St Patrick's day...again.

Then there will be the inevitable June spike...and July spike...and August spike...

Let people live their lives. If you are vulnerable or scared do whatever you think you need to do...double mask, get a 100 vaccinations...everyone else can go about their business normally.

I think a lot of people grossly underestimate young vulnerable people. Immunocompromised people, chronic lung conditions, etc. There are a significant amount of people that aren't in the retirement age bracket that this virus wrecks havoc.
Also people like to use death rates as the end all be all for covid. Lots of people get the virus and live, but still suffer hardships. Admission to the hospital. Increased medical bills Missed wages from work. Burning vacation time. Potential complications from the vid
Please provide data for your thoughts. Not news articles, but data showing hospitalization rates and follow up medical care for those under 65. I think you will find just the opposite is true.

That seems more likely. The Republicans who wanted to criminally charge DeWine should be ashamed. I’m glad Florida is able to do what they’re doing, but we don’t have that climate. It’s pretty clear Covid spreads faster in cold temps, and now isn’t the time to get a bug up your a**
I think Covid spreads any time the population changes their HVAC behavior indoors, not just cold weather. Florida is in their mild and comfortable season right now, so a lot of outside activities. No data to back this, just an observation of the prevalence of the disease spread when the south/sun belt got hot in the summer (AC) and the northern states got cold in the fall (heat).

Everyone gets a vax that wants one and you lift the restrictions. At that point you will have done every reasonable thing to control the virus and save lives. Those who wish for protection from the decisions of others will have it. Those who don’t can roll the dice

I’m not a proponent of mandatory vaccinations. I do expect to hear a lot of grumbling as people realize they are going to need one for large scale events for a year or two. The inevitable card you’ll need to prove vaccination though will be a true “outrage” to some. Never mind that every child has a similar card to record vaccination it’ll be tyrannical over reach.

This won't last long when these places realize they can't continue to operate in the red for multiple years. They won't sell enough tickets to break even. They've already lost more money than they can compute being closed for almost a year.

Valentine's day bounce?
And now we're looking at Zero Discrimination day March 1st, March 3rd brings us National Cold Cuts Day, March 5th is National Absinthe Day, and that's a Friday.

Of course, St. Patty's is the 17th, so lots of upcoming bounces.

Best to stay home, triple mask, keep kids out of school, etc.

Wrong. The desired result has been achieved and we will see steady decline in our rights taken away.
Can't wait till he closes the bars for St Patrick's day...again.

Then there will be the inevitable June spike...and July spike...and August spike...

Let people live their lives. If you are vulnerable or scared do whatever you think you need to do...double mask, get a 100 vaccinations...everyone else can go about their business normally.

And now we're looking at Zero Discrimination day March 1st, March 3rd brings us National Cold Cuts Day, March 5th is National Absinthe Day, and that's a Friday.

Of course, St. Patty's is the 17th, so lots of upcoming bounces.

Best to stay home, triple mask, keep kids out of school, etc.

You forgot some...I believe March 11th is the 1st annual celebration of the one year anniversary "Two Weeks to Flatten the Curve Day"...I propose we also celebrate "National Lick Your Neighbors Door Knobs Day" that day...

Please provide data for your thoughts. Not news articles, but data showing hospitalization rates and follow up medical care for those under 65. I think you will find just the opposite is true.
I don't have data and frankly I believe that data would be hard to come by.
For my 1st paragraph I stated more than the elderly are vulnerable to covid. There is no debating that. I'm pointing out people seem to forget that when referring to vulnerable populations.
The 2nd paragraph I'm pointing out that just because people live after covid everything isnt peaches and cream because they survived. Physically and financially. There is no denying that. You cannot say "the opposite is true" unless you are implying patients get richer and healthier after covid

You forgot some...I believe March 11th is the 1st annual celebration of the one year anniversary "Two Weeks to Flatten the Curve Day"...I propose we also celebrate "National Lick Your Neighbors Door Knobs Day" that day...
That is a normal tuesday in these here parts...

Just a reminder...mask are optional come Monday by decree of the freedom mandates...please feel free to also include handshakes and hugs.

Here's some of the data John74 is asking for:

Little easier to digest format:

Risk for COVID-19 Infection, Hospitalization, and Death By Age Group
1614478920800.png

All rates are relative to the 5—17-year age category. Sample interpretation: Compared with 5—17-year-olds, the rate of death is 45 times higher in 30—39-year-olds and 7,900 times higher in 85+-year-olds. Compared with 18—29-year-olds, the rate of hospitalization is 8 times higher in 75—84-year-olds (55 divided by 7 equals 7.9).

An even easier to digest format:

According to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, COVID-19 is deadliest among older populations. In fact, through February 17, 93 percent of COVID-19 deaths nationwide have occurred among those ages 55 or older. Only 0.2 percent were younger than 25. This trend can also be found on the state level.

1614479265866.png
1614479203917.png

Attachments

• 1614479271082.png
    1614479271082.png
    16.9 KB · Views: 13
Does anybody remember what happened in LA just a few weeks back? They now believe that was a mutation of the virus, a variation. That is the risk right now. Don’t be hasty. A half a million plus dead is not something we should risk again. We are definitely making progress. Don’t screw it up with your lunacy. We may be on the verge of getting over the hump on this.

What does that mean? They know this is going to happen in advance? What is being done to prevent what we know in advance is going to happen?
It’s possible because of the variants. A variant may develop that the vaccine can’t handle as well. If we continue to be prudent and vaccinate we may be able to minimize the possibility of our medical profession being overrun again. With fewer people to treat we may be able to keep it under control.

Does anybody remember what happened in LA just a few weeks back? They now believe that was a mutation of the virus, a variation. That is the risk right now. Don’t be hasty. A half a million plus dead is not something we should risk again. We are definitely making progress. Don’t screw it up with your lunacy. We may be on the verge of getting over the hump on this.
Variant boogeyman

It’s possible because of the variants. A variant may develop that the vaccine can’t handle as well. If we continue to be prudent and vaccinate we may be able to minimize the possibility of our medical profession being overrun again. With fewer people to treat we may be able to keep it under control.

I have a great idea... let's shut things down for two weeks to flatten the curve.

There are more views emerging on this issue than are expressed here. At a gas station fueling up yesterday I overheard two teachers with the following conversation.

Teacher 1 wearing a mask and strongly addressing the mask issue- " why aren't you wearing a mask, are you trying to kill me?

Teacher 2- "oh, I have been vaccinated so I'm good to go without a mask now, your safe".
Teacher 1- " No I'm not, I didn't get vaccinated ".
Teacher a bit indignant in her response- " so you want us to continue to wear these da$% mask because you wont get the vaccine?"

Teacher 1- "yes, I don't want the vaccine, but I don't want the virus either, i want people to continue to prevent the spread by wearing a mask and social distancing ".

Teacher 2- " for the rest of our lives?"
Teacher 1- "until the virus is gone".

So welcome to the category of I don't want the vaccine , but I do want the "protection " of mask and social distancing. We literally have people who have came to psychologically rely on masking as some sort of protection.

Here's some of the data John74 is asking for:

Little easier to digest format:

Risk for COVID-19 Infection, Hospitalization, and Death By Age Group
View attachment 15024
All rates are relative to the 5—17-year age category. Sample interpretation: Compared with 5—17-year-olds, the rate of death is 45 times higher in 30—39-year-olds and 7,900 times higher in 85+-year-olds. Compared with 18—29-year-olds, the rate of hospitalization is 8 times higher in 75—84-year-olds (55 divided by 7 equals 7.9).

This data doesnt provide what John74 requested. I said there are younger people with comorbidities that put them in a greater risk. I also stated just because people live there are other hardships, health and financial, that they will have. The CDC charts just reaffirm what myself, john74 and everyone else knows. The older you are the more vulnerable you are. I'm saying there's more than just age that the CDC charts dont show. And in the case of financial burden or lingering problems the CDC cant give you that data

In forming me how life can't and will not get back to normal even after people get vaccinated is seems is doing harm by actually discouraging people to make the effort and get vaccinated. Get the shot and you still get to wear the mask and you still get to hide at home to keep you and others safe from the virus. Makes me wonder what good is the vaccine

In forming me how life can't and will not get back to normal even after people get vaccinated is seems is doing harm by actually discouraging people to make the effort and get vaccinated. Get the shot and you still get to wear the mask and you still get to hide at home to keep you and others safe from the virus. Makes me wonder what good is the vaccine

Some have yet to figure it out but it comes down to control.
If you are independent and and enjoy the freedoms in our founding documents, the government works for you...
If the government can take your freedom and make you dependent on their cheese, you are a slave.

Now put on 3 mask, bend over, I'm inserting just the "Q" tip to see if you are compliant enough to stay open, go to school, fly, go to church, go to a concert...

Reactions: y2h
This data doesnt provide what John74 requested. I said there are younger people with comorbidities that put them in a greater risk. I also stated just because people live there are other hardships, health and financial, that they will have. The CDC charts just reaffirm what myself, john74 and everyone else knows. The older you are the more vulnerable you are. I'm saying there's more than just age that the CDC charts dont show. And in the case of financial burden or lingering problems the CDC cant give you that data

I was primarily responding to this statement by you: I think a lot of people grossly underestimate young vulnerable people. Immunocompromised people, chronic lung conditions, etc. There are a significant amount of people that aren't in the retirement age bracket that this virus wrecks havoc.

I disagree with your suggestion that we are grossly underestimating the number of vulnerable young people to covid. They aren't really vulnerable to the virus. The data clearly shows that AGE is easily the predominant factor in whether you will be hospitalized or die from catching covid. The number of young people being hospitalized and/or dying is only a small fraction of the total experiencing this.

I do know from a couple of papers I posted back in the summer that young people generally need to have MULTIPLE vulnerabilities (diabetes, obesity & an additional immune deficiency) to be at high risk from covid.

Now if your point is that young people are being hurt by the wrong headed actions we have taken to fight covid then I wholeheartedly agree. The lock downs, mask wearing (reinforced abnormality), social distancing, school/university closing and cancelling of so many social/entertainment events are devastating to the under 30 crowd.

There is a lot of evidence that the economic and psychological damage to young people as a result of the shutdowns and school closings will be far worse then the damage that covid causes. I and others have posted hundreds of articles providing data supporting this. I'm just to lazy to go dig them back up.

To be clear the greatest sin the powers that be have committed in their largely ineffective fight against the spread of covid was to place a large and unnecessary burden on the young. We should be ashamed of ourselves as a society for doing this. It's immoral and goes against nature.

There is a much better chance that you people will screw it up with your excessive fear. What is it Frank Herbert wrote "fear is the mind killer". And remember what FDR told us "all we have to fear is fear itself".

And it starts with your quoting a hugely exaggerated and out of context death number. And your obsessive fear of virus mutation is better left in horror films.