Zipped or velcro wrestling mat?

I've been told by several coaches who have the zip kind that they are a nightmare and they wish they hadn't bought them. Not sure about velcro.

West Carrollton has a velcro mat. I enjoyed not having to tape it. Gotta be careful with the seams when you are taking it apart, but it works (and looks) great imo

The only experience I have with velcro is not with a mat. But the thing that haunts me is that over time, it breaks down. (I can't imagine zippers would last the test of time.)

The Dollumar flex rolls - IMO - are great for competitions. Quick and east set-up and tear down are nice features. The only thing I dislike about them is the top surface, again over time, peels away from the actual mat along the tape line. Seems to last 12 to 15 events and then the wheels fall off.

Three section resilite is the standard. If I could create the perfect scenairo, I'd got a practice room full of resilite mats (2 or 3 full mats), and then a Dollumar flx-roll for home matches. (Be careful when pulling up the tape!) If a tournament is held, all mats on the gym floor.

Again, personal opinion.

Last edited:
We have both velcro is better we have already had to send the zipper mats back twice to get fixed plus they come unzipped pretty easy during matches i would definitely go with velcro

I prefer velcro. Even when the velcro goes if can still be taped without noticeable bumps versus the zipped in my experience.

I haven't coached for a few years and I'm obviously not hip on, "new mat technology" so forgive me here. But can anyone tell me why they would make a zippered mat? Follow up question, why would anyone choose to buy a zippered mat?

I can tell you as an official on the mat for the whole day. ALL THOSE lightweight mats SUCK to be on all day. The old school heavy resilites are SO MUCH BETTER for the body. I know that doesn't answer your question, but still a fact.

It was like Dollamur mats when they were introduced. I HATED seeing them in a gym as they were like velcro on the top. There was zero sliding on the surface and it you tried sliding, they would rip skin off and/or cause a serious mat burn.

We recently got a zip(Plastic ziplock not metal zipper or Velcro) style mat from Resilite, and it stays pretty well, this is our second year using it, no tape and very little difference in how it feels vs a traditional mat, It took some time to figure out how to properly put it together, but honestly, I'd swear by them. I cant speak to how they will hold up after several years but so far I am happy.

It was like Dollamur mats when they were introduced. I HATED seeing them in a gym as they were like velcro on the top. There was zero sliding on the surface and it you tried sliding, they would rip skin off and/or cause a serious mat burn.

I would walk into the gym... the younger guys were "what mat do you want, I want this one".... I would go, I will take the old resilite down at the end there. End of the day they are complaining and I am fine... minus NORMAL aches and pains...

I'm surprised no one has come up with a mat that has some type of inserts at the bottom to lock them together with a mechanism to lock/unlock them. I'm sure someone is probably working on it.