Northwest Ohio Realignment

I am sure that would upset some community members, at CR has a proud football history. But, if that is clearly the future, then the sooner they drop football the more likely it is the BVC would let them stay for other sports. (Just my guess). If they start canceling games on short notice they may be shown the door, Hardin Northern style.
Agreed. The cancel culture has to stop.;)

relying on yappi for info cause jordan strack blocked me on twitter LOL

i’m still hearing talks about the the 3 schools leaving the nwoal................ and swanton absolutely wants no part in the league anymore. i don’t know why, but they’ve been unhappy in the nwoal for a long time.

This could be way off since it's an 8 team league and non issue now....but did Swanton's annoyance by chance start with the set schedule when the league was 9 teams that stuck them with the week 10 bye every year?

I know most of the schools stuck with weeks 6-10 were pretty upset at what they saw as preferential treatment to Wauseon (week 2), Archbold (3), and Bryan (4).

IIRC, the rest was Delta 5, Evergreen 6, LC 7, Montpelier 8, PH 9, Swanton 10. Usually left them all with some pretty undesirable games (I remember Delta playing Paulding a couple years, a lot of TAAC, PH-Jackson, LC-Ridgewood) or in PH and LC's cases, a few 9 game seasons.

This could be way off since it's an 8 team league and non issue now....but did Swanton's annoyance by chance start with the set schedule when the league was 9 teams that stuck them with the week 10 bye every year?

I know most of the schools stuck with weeks 6-10 were pretty upset at what they saw as preferential treatment to Wauseon (week 2), Archbold (3), and Bryan (4).

IIRC, the rest was Delta 5, Evergreen 6, LC 7, Montpelier 8, PH 9, Swanton 10. Usually left them all with some pretty undesirable games (I remember Delta playing Paulding a couple years, a lot of TAAC, PH-Jackson, LC-Ridgewood) or in PH and LC's cases, a few 9 game seasons.

The definitely could be part of it, or like you said, at least where it started. It was definitely preferential treatment. It could have also rubbed some people the wrong way that they finally decided to rotate the league schedule once Montpelier left and that wasn't an issue any more.

relying on yappi for info cause jordan strack blocked me on twitter LOL
What did you even do??

i’m still hearing talks about the the 3 schools leaving the nwoal................ and swanton absolutely wants no part in the league anymore. i don’t know why, but they’ve been unhappy in the nwoal for a long time.
Swanton's Athletics twitter was the only school that officially acknowledged the changes when the news first broke. Also saw a lot of Swanton parents saying that they were "tired of the same schools winning all the time." They sure don't sound like they want to be there.

What did you even do??

Swanton's Athletics twitter was the only school that officially acknowledged the changes when the news first broke. Also saw a lot of Swanton parents saying that they were "tired of the same schools winning all the time." They sure don't sound like they want to be there.

Strack has an ego for sure and why I don’t know. He’s at WTOL for god sakes.

If I had to guess that was probably the student run account. The official one is just @SwantonAD. They basically only post schedules and results.

The definitely could be part of it, or like you said, at least where it started. It was definitely preferential treatment. It could have also rubbed some people the wrong way that they finally decided to rotate the league schedule once Montpelier left and that wasn't an issue any more.

If I remember, they switched it up for a year or 2 and talked about adding a 10th football only member, but by then it was clear Montpelier was on the way out and it wouldn't matter.

In 2014, Bryan played LCC week 7 while LC played Napoleon week 2. But then 2015 Montpelier was gone.

If I remember, they switched it up for a year or 2 and talked about adding a 10th football only member, but by then it was clear Montpelier was on the way out and it wouldn't matter.

In 2014, Bryan played LCC week 7 while LC played Napoleon week 2. But then 2015 Montpelier was gone.

Looking back at JoeEitel, it looks like you're right, they did do it one year before Montpelier left. Swanton played Springfield week 1 and was still stuck with a week 6 non-league where they played Columbus Grove. Wauseon got a week 3 non-league and Archbold week 4. While Delta had week 9 and Evergreen week 8.

It's hard enough to find non-league games week 7 but add in Liberty Center's success from the 90's and there were some interesting match ups and long drives.
Week 7 opponents 2000-2013
Lima Central Catholic 2x, Sharpsville PA, Detroit Country Day MI, Mineral Ridge, Whiteford MI 2x, Cardinal Stritch 2x, Otsego 2x, West Lafayette Ridgewood 2x, Arlington

It's hard enough to find non-league games week 7 but add in Liberty Center's success from the 90's and there were some interesting match ups and long drives.
Week 7 opponents 2000-2013
Lima Central Catholic 2x, Sharpsville PA, Detroit Country Day MI, Mineral Ridge, Whiteford MI 2x, Cardinal Stritch 2x, Otsego 2x, West Lafayette Ridgewood 2x, Arlington

In some ways that would be fun. Programs you never see or have any reason to care about.

On the other, being forced into some of those drives or bad points situations (like Stritch) while other teams in the league got exactly what they wanted close to home would absolutely be annoying.

PH in week 9 those years played LCC 2x, DeGraff Riverside, Jackson, Delphos Jefferson 2x, Lehman Catholic 2x, Edon, Eastwood 2x, Dayton Belmont, Waynesfield-Goshen, and then in 2013 just played 9 games. 2013 they ended up 10th in the region missing by less than a point, so honestly a win over anyone with a pulse probably would have meant a playoff berth.

In 97 wasn't LC scheduled to play Ottawa Hills, but at the last minute OH had to forfeit, so LC played 9? Then it turned out that had they played and beaten OH, they would missed the playoffs and instead won state?

They were given bye points for the no contest which was a 9 game average. They would've gotten less points for a win over OH being d-6 and honestly would not have made the play offs. They got in and went all the way.

In 97 wasn't LC scheduled to play Ottawa Hills, but at the last minute OH had to forfeit, so LC played 9? Then it turned out that had they played and beaten OH, they would missed the playoffs and instead won state?

I've always wondered if OH was given a little nudge to not play that game

Last edited:
Nothing has changed from what I've been told...looks like it's down to if the big NLL schools want Whitmer and/or the travel to and from Findlay and Fremont. On the other side, it still looks like the writing is on the wall that Bryan, Defiance, Wauseon, and Archbold would be the small schools. Likelihood of it ALL happening is slim to none...looks far more likely that the NBC just adds one (Maumee or Oak Harbor) to replace and the NLL adds in Clay to do the same if Maumee leaves.

Nothing has changed from what I've been told...looks like it's down to if the big NLL schools want Whitmer and/or the travel to and from Findlay and Fremont. On the other side, it still looks like the writing is on the wall that Bryan, Defiance, Wauseon, and Archbold would be the small schools. Likelihood of it ALL happening is slim to none...looks far more likely that the NBC just adds one (Maumee or Oak Harbor) to replace and the NLL adds in Clay to do the same if Maumee leaves.
I've heard there's a school that's gonna join that's gonna shock everyone...

Is Woodmore staying in the NBC?

I've heard there's a school that's gonna join that's gonna shock everyone...

Northwood was the school involved that everyone would be surprised by...and immediately after I said that, Northwood and Swanton were reported to be creating a conference with 3 other teams in the TAAC and NWOAL...but yes, keep making fun of my correct information on that :LOL:

Northwood was the school involved that everyone would be surprised by...and immediately after I said that, Northwood and Swanton were reported to be creating a conference with 3 other teams in the TAAC and NWOAL...but yes, keep making fun of my correct information on that :LOL:
That's not what I'm hearing

This stuff is fascinating - I know it doesn't take into account recent changes (because its hard to keep up), but I tried mapping out a scenario:

Both the Toledo City League (TCL) and the Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) fold. The football D-1 schools (Perrysburg, Whitmer, Start, Findlay) join D-2 schools Bowsher, Waite, Fremont Ross and Clay to form the Toledo Metro Conference (TMC) (8 schools, FB Divisions 1-2).

The Northern Lakes League splits, with Anthony Wayne, Springfield and both Sylvania schools remaining. Out of convenience, they are joined by the Toledo Catholic schools (SFS, SJJ, SUA, NDA, TCC) and possibly Lima Sr. (10 schools, FB Divisions 2-3).

Bowling Green, Maumee and Napoleon leave the NLL to re-form the Great Northern Conference (GNC) with Bryan and Wauseon from the NWOAL. Defiance joins from the WBL; Rossford joins from the NBC. Rogers, Woodward and Scott round out the league roster (10 schools, FB Divisions 3-4).

The NWOAL staves off extinction again. Surviving schools Swanton, Evergreen, Archbold, Delta, and Liberty Center welcome in Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood to fill the void of the larger schools. Montpelier returns as a full-time member. Patrick Henry, despite being smallest school, remains as they play well to the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 5-7).

The Northern Buckeye Conference (NBC) gains Liberty-Benton from the BVC, and loses Rossford to the NWOAL (8 teams, FB Divisions 5-6).

The Toledo Area Athletic Conference (TAAC) survives the exodus of Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood. MVCD, Emmanuel Christian, Monclova Christian, and Toledo Christian are joined full time by Danbury, New Riegel and Old Fort. Sandusky St. Mary’s CC, Tiffin Calvert, and St. Joe’s CC join the TAAC but remain members of the SBC-River in football, although the TAAC is poised to become an 8-Man football conference if those programs switch (10 teams, non-football).

The Sandusky Bay Conference (SBC) continues its three-division structure with minimal changes. Norwalk moves from SBC-Bay to SBC-Lake. Lakota moves from SBC-River to SBC-Bay, swapping places with Margaretta. Danbury, Old Fort and New Riegel move to the TAAC full time, while SJCC, SMCC, and Calvert become football-only members of SBC-River.

The Putnam County League (PCL) folds into the Buckeye Border Conference (BBC) and becomes the first OHSAA conference to sanction 8-Man football. Holgate joins North Central, Stryker, Pettisville, Fayette with Continental, Kalida, Miller City, Ottoville and Ft. Jennings (10 schools, FB Division 8-Man).

The Blanchard Valley Conference (BVC) goes largely unchanged, except for the largest school, Liberty-Benton departing for the Northern Buckeye Conference (8 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Green Meadows Conference (GMC) adds Ayersville, Paulding, Edon and Hilltop. Holgate departs for the BBC, giving the league full participation in football (10 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Midwest Athletic Conference (MAC) goes largely unchanged, though Delphos St. John’s departs for the more geographical-fitting NWC. Anna leaves as a football-only school for the N10 (9 schools, FB Divisions 5-7).

The Northern 10 Conference (N10) gains Anna and Ada. Upper Sandusky stays but may seek a new home to right-size the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 4-7).

The Northwest Conference (NWC) shakes up, as Paulding moves to the GMC and Ada moves to the N10. Lima Central Catholic, Perry, Leipsic and Pandora-Gilboa move over, Delphos Jefferson departs for the WBL, and Columbus Grove slides in to replace them (10 teams, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Western Buckeye League (WBL) remains largely unchanged – Defiance departs for the re-formed GNC, but are replaced by Delphos Jefferson (10 teams, FB Divisions 3-5).

This stuff is fascinating - I know it doesn't take into account recent changes (because its hard to keep up), but I tried mapping out a scenario:

Both the Toledo City League (TCL) and the Three Rivers Athletic Conference (TRAC) fold. The football D-1 schools (Perrysburg, Whitmer, Start, Findlay) join D-2 schools Bowsher, Waite, Fremont Ross and Clay to form the Toledo Metro Conference (TMC) (8 schools, FB Divisions 1-2).

The Northern Lakes League splits, with Anthony Wayne, Springfield and both Sylvania schools remaining. Out of convenience, they are joined by the Toledo Catholic schools (SFS, SJJ, SUA, NDA, TCC) and possibly Lima Sr. (10 schools, FB Divisions 2-3).

Bowling Green, Maumee and Napoleon leave the NLL to re-form the Great Northern Conference (GNC) with Bryan and Wauseon from the NWOAL. Defiance joins from the WBL; Rossford joins from the NBC. Rogers, Woodward and Scott round out the league roster (10 schools, FB Divisions 3-4).

The NWOAL staves off extinction again. Surviving schools Swanton, Evergreen, Archbold, Delta, and Liberty Center welcome in Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood to fill the void of the larger schools. Montpelier returns as a full-time member. Patrick Henry, despite being smallest school, remains as they play well to the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 5-7).

The Northern Buckeye Conference (NBC) gains Liberty-Benton from the BVC, and loses Rossford to the NWOAL (8 teams, FB Divisions 5-6).

The Toledo Area Athletic Conference (TAAC) survives the exodus of Cardinal Stritch, Ottawa Hills and Northwood. MVCD, Emmanuel Christian, Monclova Christian, and Toledo Christian are joined full time by Danbury, New Riegel and Old Fort. Sandusky St. Mary’s CC, Tiffin Calvert, and St. Joe’s CC join the TAAC but remain members of the SBC-River in football, although the TAAC is poised to become an 8-Man football conference if those programs switch (10 teams, non-football).

The Sandusky Bay Conference (SBC) continues its three-division structure with minimal changes. Norwalk moves from SBC-Bay to SBC-Lake. Lakota moves from SBC-River to SBC-Bay, swapping places with Margaretta. Danbury, Old Fort and New Riegel move to the TAAC full time, while SJCC, SMCC, and Calvert become football-only members of SBC-River.

The Putnam County League (PCL) folds into the Buckeye Border Conference (BBC) and becomes the first OHSAA conference to sanction 8-Man football. Holgate joins North Central, Stryker, Pettisville, Fayette with Continental, Kalida, Miller City, Ottoville and Ft. Jennings (10 schools, FB Division 8-Man).

The Blanchard Valley Conference (BVC) goes largely unchanged, except for the largest school, Liberty-Benton departing for the Northern Buckeye Conference (8 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Green Meadows Conference (GMC) adds Ayersville, Paulding, Edon and Hilltop. Holgate departs for the BBC, giving the league full participation in football (10 schools, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Midwest Athletic Conference (MAC) goes largely unchanged, though Delphos St. John’s departs for the more geographical-fitting NWC. Anna leaves as a football-only school for the N10 (9 schools, FB Divisions 5-7).

The Northern 10 Conference (N10) gains Anna and Ada. Upper Sandusky stays but may seek a new home to right-size the competition (10 teams, FB Divisions 4-7).

The Northwest Conference (NWC) shakes up, as Paulding moves to the GMC and Ada moves to the N10. Lima Central Catholic, Perry, Leipsic and Pandora-Gilboa move over, Delphos Jefferson departs for the WBL, and Columbus Grove slides in to replace them (10 teams, FB Divisions 6-7).

The Western Buckeye League (WBL) remains largely unchanged – Defiance departs for the re-formed GNC, but are replaced by Delphos Jefferson (10 teams, FB Divisions 3-5).
nope not even close.... New Riegel and Old Fort will not leave long time rivals for the non travelers from Toledo. NOPE!

Ayersville is already in the GMC. Also, if Edon and especially Hilltop joined they would basically become league doormats in football. We play better football in the GMC than either of those teams are used to playing in the TAAC.

nope not even close.... New Riegel and Old Fort will not leave long time rivals for the non travelers from Toledo. NOPE!
Yeah I held my nose on that one - kinda thought the same. The TAAC may be the big loser in this shuffle. 8-man FB may be the only chance for them to survive and attract other schools away from their current lot. Not sure how many of the remaining schools would have interest in that though, beyond TC.