Canfield Football 2021

NeoFootballFan75

After 3 regionals appearances in 4 years (losing all 3, twice to the eventual state champs) Canfield’s looking to get over the hump.

I know they’ve lost a good amount but they return back 2 of the best players in the area in Broc Lowry & Toby Smith, with many starters back on D. They’ve beefed up their schedule with teams like Fitch & maybe Ursuline? Canfield wouldn’t play such a hard schedule if they didn’t think they have something in that team again. Thoughts?

Makes more sense for good teams to up their schedule now that playoff field is growing to 12. Maybe why Canfield was willing to add an opponent like Fitch who is probably a game they’d likely be an underdog most years. But that’s a game that should be played due to proximity and potential crowd. And they are only 1 division different - its not a stretch to play them. If you don’t feel you can beat Fitch , you probably won’t win D3 either.

Go 6-4 or 7-3 with a good schedule and you are likely in every year.

All these local teams - D3 Canfield, East, Howland, Chaney, Hubbard, Niles should all up their schedules.
Division 2 Austintown Fitch, Warren Harding and Boardman are only one division higher yet only Chaney and East have the balls to play them. Ursuline and Mooney have to be included as saddling up also.
Canfield has a few years of success so can’t wait for Fitch - Canfield game (which Canfield must think they have a very good shot at winning. I think they’re biting off more than they can chew with those thoughts.
Looking at Niles, Hubbard and Howland - those programs now seem happy to compete and win against Lakeview, Liberty, Girard, Geneva, and Jefferson area schools. Not exactly a who’s who of teams there.

Canfield has a few years of success so can’t wait for Fitch - Canfield game (which Canfield must think they have a very good shot at winning. I think they’re biting off more than they can chew with those thoughts.
Fitch has been asking to play Canfield for a while now, it just didn't always make sense to schedule with Canfield's region being one of the most difficult both to make the playoffs and to get through. There were years Canfield missed the playoffs in region 9 but would have made them in region 5 (with Boardman, Fitch and Harding).

All these local teams - D3 Canfield, East, Howland, Chaney, Hubbard, Niles should all up their schedules.
Division 2 Austintown Fitch, Warren Harding and Boardman are only one division higher yet only Chaney and East have the balls to play them. Ursuline and Mooney have to be included as saddling up also.
Looking at Niles, Hubbard and Howland - those programs now seem happy to compete and win against Lakeview, Liberty, Girard, Geneva, and Jefferson area schools. Not exactly a who’s who of teams there.
Canfield has a solid schedule, don't think Howland and Niles have the program to compete right now with that kind of schedule. Now the 3 D2 schools are the ones who need to beef up the schedule and nothing in Y-Town would help that.

I don’t think Fitch could (or should) beef up their
21-22 schedule. Fitch should be good again but this is a serious schedule IMHO. I actually like this schedule-

Austintown Fitch
08/20 H Youngstown Chaney
08/27 A Canton McKinley
09/03 A Canton GlenOak
09/10 H Youngstown Ursuline
09/17 A Youngstown Cardinal Mooney
09/24 H Massillon Washington
10/01 A Canfield
10/08 H Wadsworth
10/15 A Boardman
10/22 A Warren Warren G. Harding

21-22 schedule. Fitch should be good again but this is a serious schedule IMHO. I actually like this schedule-

Austintown Fitch
08/27 A Canton McKinley
09/03 A Canton GlenOak
10/01 A Canfield
10/08 H Wadsworth
10/15 A Boardman
Agreed that’s one tough schedule, I know WGH has a pretty tough one as well.

I think there is room for a game against Ed's or Ignatius or someone like that.
So Fitch shouldn't play a bunch of teams one division higher, but Canfield should schedule Fitch, Harding, Boardman et al and get murdered when they have down years.

Austintown Fitch
08/27 A Canton McKinley
09/03 A Canton GlenOak
10/01 A Canfield
10/08 H Wadsworth
10/15 A Boardman
Let's see: 2 D3, D4, D5, 2 D1 and 4 D2 not bad but every school should have to play 70% their division or higher or not qualify for the playoffs. If that was the rule, then schools would think twice about being a big school and joining a league with a more majority smaller schools like McKinley in the Fed and Niles McKinley in the NE8. Sure it works out for them in so many other factors but go play schools your own size if you want in the playoffs. Fitch should have played 1 more D1 or D2

You both are getting mistaken by the D4 and D5 teams. Ursuline and Mooney are not your regular small division schools most years.
I am very familiar with Mooney and Ursuline, I didn't say to take them off the schedule. I would replace Chaney with a team like Ed's or Ignatius or Mentor.

Telling Fitch to play Ed’s/Iggy/Mentor is like telling Canfield they should really schedule Hoban or Massillon. Let me know when that will happen.

Fitch is D2, there’s no reason for anyone in D2 other than a few of the top programs to play those 3.

Fitch has a good schedule and playing Ursuline or Mooney is better than playing a mediocre D1 or D2 school.

I am very familiar with Mooney and Ursuline, I didn't say to take them off the schedule. I would replace Chaney with a team like Ed's or Ignatius or Mentor.
I don’t think you’re wrong at all, but I like the Chaney game for the simple reason it’s the battle of the west side and a lot of these kids know each other.
Personally I really like the schedule with the mix of teams in it. I really like the McKinley addition for two reasons- first, they are a fast athletic team that Fitch has to be able to matchup with and second, it is a nice “high profile game” similar to Massillon and fans really are pumped up for the games.
I don’t think Fitch scrimmaged Mentor the last couple years (had previously for about six years or so, , but that is a game I would like to see. Also need to try to stay in playoff contention.

Telling Fitch to play Ed’s/Iggy/Mentor is like telling Canfield they should really schedule Hoban or Massillon. Let me know when that will happen.

Fitch is D2, there’s no reason for anyone in D2 other than a few of the top programs to play those 3.

Fitch has a good schedule and playing Ursuline or Mooney is better than playing a mediocre D1 or D2 school.
Archbishop Hoban was good enough to win D-I most years let alone D-II, they actually beat Ed's 35-0 who beat Ignatius 17-0 and Mentor 28-24. So maybe not the best choice for an example. However, I think Canfield has room on the schedule for Saint Vincent-Saint Mary or the defending champs Chardon or Notre Dame-Cathedral Latin. Canfield formerly had Highland on the schedule until this Covid thing ruined everything, and the Hornets have a very solid D-II program. Canfield also played Dover while they were D-II and Canfield was D-III.

I don’t think Fitch scrimmaged Mentor the last couple years (had previously for about six years or so, , but that is a game I would like to see. Also need to try to stay in playoff contention.
The way I figure is playing a team like Mentor is a good measuring stick type of game, if you can hang with them then you know you have a good chance in the playoffs and if not it will help show you what you need to improve as the season progresses if you want to make a deep run. That is why Canfiled played teams like Louisville, Dover, Aurora, ND-CL, Chardon et al early in the season to see what they had and where they needed to improve, knowing what you have to improve on in week 1 obviously gives you more time to make adjustments than say week 4 or 5.

Warren plays 1 D1 school and 4 D2 .....weak
Boardman plays 1 D1 and 3 D2 ......weak
Fitch plays 2 D1 and 4 D2 .....good
Massillon, Lake, Perry, NC plays 3 D1 and 3 or 4D2 .......strong
If you are going to avoid teams during the season, stay home for the playoffs.
If you are a D1 school you need to play at least 6 D1 schools
D2 at least 7 D2 or higher
D3 should be 7 D3 or higher and Canfield is a playoff qualifying schedule.....strong

You are too caught up on divisions vs quality. Massillon (D2) is a 100x better than playing Glen Oak for instance or honestly better than most D1s. Ursuline or Mooney are as good or better in most years than playing good D3 schools like Louisville, Chardon, etc. and better than a D1 GlenOak.

Lake and Hoover are also in a league with 8 D1/D2 local programs as are most schools around the state. The Youngstown 3 D2’s are really challenged for scheduling w/ limited local options and limited options for Non-conference due to league affiliations. So the only options tend to be top D1 programs or private schools in D2-D4 (the same ones Canfield runs from playing and loses to I’m playoffs).

Boardman would have no issues playing GlenOak, Jackson and Lake every year (2 D1s and 1 D1). Is that really tougher than Ursuline, Mooney and Canfield? And then take into consideration the gate difference and it’s a no brainer.

I’d prefer only 1 Ytown city school and swap for a playoff caliber D1/D2, but other than that I have no complaints w/ Boardman’s schedule most years.

Mooney and Ursuline have not been good in the last few years
Ursuline made regional final last year and will be good now that Reardon is back and active on recruiting trail.

Mooney has been down from their past but neither is a pushover and would still beat some D2/D3 playoff teams when down.

Both are old SVC rivalries that are worth playing and bring huge crowds for Boardman, Fitch, and Harding.

You are too caught up on divisions vs quality. Massillon (D2) is a 100x better than playing Glen Oak for instance or honestly better than most D1s. Ursuline or Mooney are as good or better in most years than playing good D3 schools like Louisville, Chardon, etc. and better than a D1 GlenOak.
So the only options tend to be top D1 programs or private schools in D2-D4 (the same ones Canfield runs from playing and loses to I’m playoffs).
Boardman would have no issues playing GlenOak, Jackson and Lake every year (2 D1s and 1 D1). Is that really tougher than Ursuline, Mooney and Canfield? And then take into consideration the gate difference and it’s a no brainer.
I’d prefer only 1 Ytown city school and swap for a playoff caliber D1/D2, but other than that I have no complaints w/ Boardman’s schedule most years.
Mooney and Ursuline would not have touched Chardon or Canfield last year, the teams that Canfield loses to in D-III R9 in the playoffs would have easily beat 2020 Ursuline for instance. At the moment Mooney is no where near as good as most of the teams Canfield has on its schedule, they would only be comparable or better than Chaney, East and Howland. Doesn't ND-CL count as a quality D-III private school? And the only private school Canfield has lost to in the playoffs lately is SV-SM. And I would say that GO, Jackson & Lake are all a lot better than Mooney but comparable to Ursuline and Canfield. The only thing I would do with Boardman's schedule is swap out East and Chaney for any two Federal League schools, or swap out one for say Massillon or maybe Hudson. I am a huge fan of seeing what they can do against Benedictine.

Ursuline would have definitely “touched” canfield last season. Maybe not win but it would have been a good game. There’s a reason why Canfield backed down from their game in 2021.

Mooney and Ursuline would not have touched Chardon or Canfield last year, the teams that Canfield loses to in D-III R9 in the playoffs would have easily beat 2020 Ursuline for instance. At the moment Mooney is no where near as good as most of the teams Canfield has on its schedule, they would only be comparable or better than Chaney, East and Howland. Doesn't ND-CL count as a quality D-III private school? And the only private school Canfield has lost to in the playoffs lately is SV-SM. And I would say that GO, Jackson & Lake are all a lot better than Mooney but comparable to Ursuline and Canfield. The only thing I would do with Boardman's schedule is swap out East and Chaney for any two Federal League schools, or swap out one for say Massillon or maybe Hudson. I am a huge fan of seeing what they can do against Benedictine.
Ursuline would of played Canfield straight up and I think probably won last year. And Chardon was impressive but Ursulines front seven would have done a better job than Canfields.
and if you’re comparing the talent of Canfield being anywhere in the stratisfare of Fitch’s talent - quit posting now.....

Warren plays 1 D1 school and 4 D2 .....weak
Boardman plays 1 D1 and 3 D2 ......weak
Fitch plays 2 D1 and 4 D2 .....good
Massillon, Lake, Perry, NC plays 3 D1 and 3 or 4D2 .......strong
If you are going to avoid teams during the season, stay home for the playoffs.
If you are a D1 school you need to play at least 6 D1 schools
D2 at least 7 D2 or higher
D3 should be 7 D3 or higher and Canfield is a playoff qualifying schedule.....strong
Going to have to disagree with you saying WGH's schedule is weak, compared to Canfield's being strong. WGH schedule is stronger than Canfield's. I know Harding plays up one division than Canfield, but still not huge difference

Ursuline would of played Canfield straight up and I think probably won last year. And Chardon was impressive but Ursulines front seven would have done a better job than Canfields.
and if you’re comparing the talent of Canfield being anywhere in the stratisfare of Fitch’s talent - quit posting now.....
No where in the stratisfare might be a little too far. Canfield doesn’t win 39 out of their last 48 games with little talent. Does Fitch have better talent? For sure, but it’s not a massive gap.