Are you a true West Sider??

Also a photo of the old Swallen's on Glenway across from the drive thru pony keg and Hilltop Concrete. On the sign it says No. 3. I think the Fairfaxx store was the original and then they opened one on Red Bank Road or maybe it was Tri County.

View attachment 14019
You mentioned the Swallen's in FairFax which I believe was the original one. To this day no business of any size has made use of all the land there on Red Bank Road. I wonder why? The new shopping center (Walmart and a large variety of stores plus a Sports Mall) made a good run on the old Ford Transmission Plant property located further down on Red Bank close to Erie.

If you want a good laugh here is a interview with Al Schottlekotte's and Swallen's appliance buying manager Vito Sylvester. Side story. Vito had two sons who played sports at Moeller. His son Mike played basketball at Un of Dayton and went on to play many years internationally. His other son Steve played college football at Notre Dame and then in the NFL for Al David's Oakland Raiders from 1975 - 1983 and won a few Super Bowls with them.

It's incredible how much cheaper appliances have become. You can get a basic fridge like that for $300 now. Adjusted for inflation you're paying about 1/4 of the price.

The West Side may have lost a few jobs when the rail yards closed up but after looking at these pictures I'm glad it did. Crookshank/Glenway looks like it was a complete dump back then. Way too much dirty industrial space mixed with housing and retail. Grencrossing has been poorly managed for 20+ years now and is basically empty, but it's better than a dirty old rail yard.

definitely 76 station. The TC was across the street, where Bob’s is now. I lived right near there
Speaking of Bob's, it used to be an IGA. When we ran out of milk my mom would send one of us up there on our bike to get a gallon because it was cheaper there than at Linneman's deli at West 8th and Rosemont, even though Linneman's was a lot closer.

The West Side may have lost a few jobs when the rail yards closed up but after looking at these pictures I'm glad it did. Crookshank/Glenway looks like it was a complete dump back then. Way too much dirty industrial space mixed with housing and retail. Grencrossing has been poorly managed for 20+ years now and is basically empty, but it's better than a dirty old rail yard.
Crookshannk still isn’t an appealing stretch of road but definitely better than it was. The City of Cincinnati had a garbage incinerator on Crookshank back then too. Hard to fathom now.

Speaking of Bob's, it used to be an IGA. When we ran out of milk my mom would send one of us up there on our bike to get a gallon because it was cheaper there than at Linneman's deli at West 8th and Rosemont, even though Linneman's was a lot closer.
A gallon of milk on a bike, I never had to do that, but I would have gladly accepted the challenge if asked

"TC" Trestler Comet Gas was a local petroleum distribution company that had several gas stations through out Cincinnati. Trestler use to own several acres of property on Werk Road which is now a large housing residency off of Bridgestone Road. Use Google Maps to get an idea how large the Trestler property use to be when you place the "little guy" on Goggle Maps on the t-intersection of Werk and Bridgestone. I remember seeing a long driveway (close to where Bridgestone Road is now) going to the house (almost like a mansion) up on top of the hill. When the property was sold to the developers ~ mid to late 1980's they dug out the lake and built all the homes you see now.et

I forgot the long relationship Tresler Comet had with the Cincinnati Reds in the 60's and 70's. Even the Bengals when the franchise started. Here are some items for the Reds and Bengals. Along with some petroleum collectibles(pumps, gas and oil cans, etc).

I forgot the long relationship Tresler Comet had with the Cincinnati Reds in the 60's and 70's. Even the Bengals when the franchise started. Here are some items for the Reds and Bengals. Along with some petroleum collectibles(pumps, gas and oil cans, etc).

That was back when local companies could compete for MLB exposure with their local clubs. Weidemann, Hudepohl, Burger, Ibold cigars all sponsored the Reds and/or the Bengals at one time. Unfortunately the big national brands pushed them out.

Mmmmm, Weidemann genuine and sincere

Yes I agree with you when looking back to how the area looked back then versus today. But those old landmarks were a kid's unique playground. The woods, creeks, small ponds, old buildings, junk yards, the list goes on and on. Man, all the cool adventures and memories will live with me forever. It's all good...…

Crookshannk still isn’t an appealing stretch of road but definitely better than it was. The City of Cincinnati had a garbage incinerator on Crookshank back then too. Hard to fathom now.
I had a co-op job in high school at a corrugated box die shop on Crookshank. My buddy drove us to work in his Chevy Vega. Steak and Shake had just opened. Good times

Also a photo of the old Swallen's on Glenway across from the drive thru pony keg and Hilltop Concrete. On the sign it says No. 3. I think the Fairfaxx store was the original and then they opened one on Red Bank Road or maybe it was Tri County.

View attachment 14019
On the far right there is an Ohio State Route 264 turn right sign for the Glenway bridge over the railroad tracks. For the life of me I cannot remember how many lanes it was. I want to say it was only two lanes, one in each direction, but that seems unlikely as it would be a bottleneck if traffic was heavy. Was it four lanes, two in each direction, so that outbound the right lane was for Boudinot and the left was to turn left to continue on Glenway?

Cool photo of Glenmore in the 1960s.

Attachments

• 145628071_1119199878530970_524622710286960692_o.jpg
    145628071_1119199878530970_524622710286960692_o.jpg
    198.5 KB · Views: 46
On the far right there is an Ohio State Route 264 turn right sign for the Glenway bridge over the railroad tracks. For the life of me I cannot remember how many lanes it was. I want to say it was only two lanes, one in each direction, but that seems unlikely as it would be a bottleneck if traffic was heavy. Was it four lanes, two in each direction, so that outbound the right lane was for Boudinot and the left was to turn left to continue on Glenway?
1612315079693.png

I believe this photo was taken before the "latest" bridge was made which currently takes traffic on Glenway directly across. Before then, the bridge currently used to go down Boudinot was the only one used to connect Glenway (as it ran along side Ford the Dealer) to both Boudinot and Glenway by the Trestler Comet gas station. It was like a y-intersection which generated a huge bottle-neck. I can not remember how many lanes there were but obviously not enough thus the "direct route" bridge was made. My friends and I use to ride our bikes to that impressive construction site and play around on the bull dozers and other equipment after the work shift was over. It's funny now because both of these bridges are not really bridges anymore. Gosh! I still can not believe I went to the top of that huge Hilltop Concrete mixing tower. Good times.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's going on with that Dink's Turn-around (I think that's what it's called) at West 8th and Nebraska? I assume the pandemic threw a major wrench into their plans, but hoping it didn't completely kill them. Was really looking forward to a place like that...

Anyone know what's going on with that Dink's Turn-around (I think that's what it's called) at West 8th and Nebraska? I assume the pandemic threw a major wrench into their plans, but hoping it didn't completely kill them. Was really looking forward to a place like that...
Don't know. I hope the cemetery is not trying to buy those store fronts.

Does anyone know if the 2 restaurants that are going into where Happy Pizza was on Glenway near Muddy Creek ever opened? And if so have you tried them. I think the last time I looked there was a sign that one was going to be an Asian Fusion menu.