Northwest Ohio Realignment

I don’t see LB going anywhere. There would have to be some guarantee to Elmwood that LB and even VB are staying around in the BVC - not having them makes the move much less-desirable. I would think adding Elmwood gives the BVC a little more stability, which all the small Findlay area schools want. The BVC has a lot of good traditions and a history of winning in various sports, don’t think any of the core schools want it to fail.
Could not agree more. The bottom of the BVC is as bad as it gets (mostly out of size - Vanlue, but honestly they won a fair number of their non conference football games, so how bad do those schools have to be?!) I would honestly put the league as a top 5-10 small league (D5 and smaller in the state), with great travel and a long tradition of playing each other.
I live in NBC country now and find it odd that Elmwood wants out.They are in a league with schools that are all with 1 division size in football and the travel is 99% within the same county. Idk what else you could want.

Hey I said an NLL wish list ;). So you just look at transportation for the existing NLL teams Maumee and Napoleon. Only 45 min from Lake to Napoleon. The rest are all closer drives for both Maumee and Napoleon.

Does it make sense for the new teams? That is for them to decide.

The NBC schools might be willing to do it because their league may be falling apart. You don't want to be the last one standing when the music stops.
Two schools are leaving.

If the NBC doesn't want to add Maumee and Napoleon they certainly aren't going to merge with Southview, BG, Maumee, and Napoleon.

Do you think the comment in the press release about transportation is directed at Lima, not Findlay and Fremont?

Personally, I have never minded the drive to Fremont, Findlay or Lima (when the games were competitive). It was a lot harder at the middle school level with Lima and Findlay having 2 middle schools each and Fremont with 1.

Those drives for most current NLL families would not be very desirable though, if they had a vote.

If Fremont and Findlay are in the big division (along with Clay and Whitmer) and only 4 schools are needed for the small division those spots will be filled easily. Like hobos fighting over a hot dog.
I don't see anybody rushing to get them.

Two schools are leaving.

If the NBC doesn't want to add Maumee and Napoleon they certainly aren't going to merge with Southview, BG, Maumee, and Napoleon.

I didn't say anything about Southview and BG being in the small school division just Maumee and Napoleon.

As I mentioned before I was assuming the NLL wasn't interested in Findlay and Fremont based on the press release and statement on travel costs. I was also only looking at it from the 8 current NLL schools point of view. That doesn't mean it makes sense for the "new" teams (they have to determine that themselves). This was more of an NLL wish list of schools/programs that would best fit in the small school division based on their press release.

Schools like Maumee and Woodmore probably have reached the end of the road in their leagues and risk losing a football program at this rate. But making super leagues can be just as deadly to athletic programs
Far from true for Maumee, they have over 60 boys in their program every year (9-12) and Woodmore was over 30 last year (9-12) but only return 21 (10-12) according to their roster

I really think you can leave the NBC out of the NLL expansion talk. I do think Woodmore and Elmwood could be on the move. I do think the NWOAL could maybe get raided. You never know what happens with what’s left of the TAAC.

Could not agree more. The bottom of the BVC is as bad as it gets (mostly out of size - Vanlue, but honestly they won a fair number of their non conference football games, so how bad do those schools have to be?!) I would honestly put the league as a top 5-10 small league (D5 and smaller in the state), with great travel and a long tradition of playing each other.
I live in NBC country now and find it odd that Elmwood wants out.They are in a league with schools that are all with 1 division size in football and the travel is 99% within the same county. Idk what else you could want.

I’m not sure if the Elmwood to the BVC rumor is true, just going off the word of some on here. Elmwood has been in the NBC/SLL for around 50 years and has won many titles in many different sports, so it’s not like they can’t compete.

County limes are arbitrary.

The trip to Arlington, one of the furthest in the BVC, is the same distance as Rossford. It's 44 minutes to Pandora and Riverdale. 40 to Genoa and Woodmore.

They can likely compete a little better in the BVC, the BVC is more stable (even when taking out the Vanlues and Cory-Rawsons that can't hang on much longer), and their neighbors in North Baltimore and Vsn Buren are there.

Far from true for Maumee, they have over 60 boys in their program every year (9-12) and Woodmore was over 30 last year (9-12) but only return 21 (10-12) according to their roster
I watched Maumee play Springfield a couple of times recently, not this year. Maumee wasn't bad, they were just slower at every position.

I didn't say anything about Southview and BG being in the small school division just Maumee and Napoleon.
Other people have, and I really think they will want to get away from Perrysburg, AW, and Whitmer or this expansion only hurts them.

Southview's only wins the last 2 years were against winless teams. Maybe redistricting helps them, and maybe there's a part of them that would want to stay with Northview at all costs. But that program is a wreck right now and you'd think they want nothing to do with adding Whitmer, Findlay, etc. to their schedule. It's questionable right now whether they'd beat DEFIANCE, and we're the worst WBL program over the last decade.

County limes are arbitrary.

The trip to Arlington, one of the furthest in the BVC, is the same distance as Rossford. It's 44 minutes to Pandora and Riverdale. 40 to Genoa and Woodmore.

They can likely compete a little better in the BVC, the BVC is more stable (even when taking out the Vanlues and Cory-Rawsons that can't hang on much longer), and their neighbors in North Baltimore and Vsn Buren are there.
I had to look up those travel times, but correct a league change doesn't really impact the bottom line for bussing. I was surprised. They would for sure get more wins in the BVC as they will be one of the largest schools. The only nitpick I would make is picking up neighboring schools in NB and VB also means you are dropping your neighbors in Eastwood and Fostoria, but perhaps they view that as a plus.

With Route 24 providing easy travel to Henry County I would think Maumee and Napoleon to the NWOAL would be a terrific fit. Furthest trip would be to Bryan for Maumee but using 24 to route 6 would be maybe a 45 minute bus ride. Maumee would be much more competitive in NWOAL then they are in the NLL. Napoleon already plays most everyone in the NWOAL in at least a couple of sports.

If rumors are true and Swanton does leave the NWOAL then this would make sense for the league.

With Route 24 providing easy travel to Henry County I would think Maumee and Napoleon to the NWOAL would be a terrific fit. Furthest trip would be to Bryan for Maumee but using 24 to route 6 would be maybe a 45 minute bus ride. Maumee would be much more competitive in NWOAL then they are in the NLL. Napoleon already plays most everyone in the NWOAL in at least a couple of sports.

If rumors are true and Swanton does leave the NWOAL then this would make sense for the league.
Maumee - 567
Napoleon - 506
Bryan - 486
Swanton - 328
Wauseon - 318
Evergreen - 304
Archbold - 292
Delta - 271
Liberty-Center - 262
Pat Henry - 210

Maumee - 567
Napoleon - 506
Bryan - 486
Swanton - 328
Wauseon - 318
Evergreen - 304
Archbold - 292
Delta - 271
Liberty-Center - 262
Pat Henry - 210

Man this is just sad. Lol the fact Maumee is so pathetic that they have to go into the NWOAL or NBC. Realistically they’d get thumped in those leagues too at this point. Why can’t they go into the City League?

Maumee - 567
Napoleon - 506
Bryan - 486
Swanton - 328
Wauseon - 318
Evergreen - 304
Archbold - 292
Delta - 271
Liberty-Center - 262
Pat Henry - 210
wauseon is not a smaller school than swanton. they have over 120 more kids than swanton .. maybe more

Some of you act as though Maumee has been the worst team in the area for decades. In ‘17 they were 4-3 in the NLL and from ‘08-‘12 the second best team in the NLL (behind southview). Some of the best athletes in the area went the private route while a few others moved out of district in the most recent Maumee classes. If those guys stayed I don’t think we’d be having quite the same discussion about their ability to compete.

Right now Maumee probably would’ve struggled in any league in nearly every sport but I think people who know the city believe the next few years you should see an improvement in all of the sports programs. I believe one reason Maumee wants out now is to prevent current underclassmen from being overshadowed by the standouts at public schools over twice there size in Anthony Wayne and Perrysburg. Take those two schools out of the picture and I don’t think many in Maumee would complain about the competition.

Maumee - 567
Napoleon - 506
Bryan - 486
Swanton - 328
Wauseon - 318
Evergreen - 304
Archbold - 292
Delta - 271
Liberty-Center - 262
Pat Henry - 210
If Enrollment figures are what you are basing for competition...by that standard Bryan and Wauseon should dominate the NWOAL every year in every sport. They don't.

I was just stating that if Maumee wanted to be competitive again in league races then the NWOAL could be a good fit. I did not realize that Bryan and Napoleon were smaller then Maumee...friends from Maumee have always complained about being land-locked with no room for growth and enrollment numbers down trying to compete in the NLL.

I don’t see LB going anywhere. There would have to be some guarantee to Elmwood that LB and even VB are staying around in the BVC - not having them makes the move much less-desirable. I would think adding Elmwood gives the BVC a little more stability, which all the small Findlay area schools want. The BVC has a lot of good traditions and a history of winning in various sports, don’t think any of the core schools want it to fail.
LB fits better in the WBL. But they always like being the big fish in the little pond. BVC

Maumee - 567
Napoleon - 506
Bryan - 486
Swanton - 328
Wauseon - 318
Evergreen - 304
Archbold - 292
Delta - 271
Liberty-Center - 262
Pat Henry - 210
It's not always about numbers. It's program strength. Numbers have a lot to do with it, but not all. Look at the City League. Big numbers but not necessarily strong programs.

Maumee - 567
Napoleon - 506
Bryan - 486
Swanton - 328
Wauseon - 318
Evergreen - 304
Archbold - 292
Delta - 271
Liberty-Center - 262
Pat Henry - 210

Good to see the size comparisons (adjust Wauseon) as I'm sure this will be a major part, but not the only, of the decision process. Would be beneficial to see the current NBC and the rest of the NLL schools added to this list as well as Defiance and Northwood......may clear up some things as to why some schools would be against certain changes.

I don’t disagree, but the possible addition of Elmwood makes the BVC a little more competitive. Is there a chance any current BVC member leaves?

Depends on the situation at Vanlue and Cory-Rawson. If those two can’t field football teams the it probably spells expulsion- at least that’s the hand Hardin Northern was dealt. The BVC may have to deal with this soon.

I think Patrick Henry to maybe the BVC is something to keep an eye on, especially if there are other departures from the NWOAL.

No one thought the MAL would implode like it did after 30+ years - and it happened quick.

Depends on the situation at Vanlue and Cory-Rawson. If those two can’t field football teams the it probably spells expulsion- at least that’s the hand Hardin Northern was dealt. The BVC may have to deal with this soon.

The BVC will have to make that decision this year as Vanlue only has 6 players returning. The Vanlue coach in an article after the season all but admitted that they will not have a team next year and blamed it on all the student leaving due to open enrollment. Can't really blame the kids for leaving since not many kids want to go to school with only 10 other kids in their grade.