4 Division Update

runohio

The OHSAA board tabled a proposal from the Ohio Association of Track and Cross Country Coaches (OATCCC) to expand the track and field tournament to four divisions. At this time, the OHSAA’s focus is to conduct the 2021 season and tournament series, as a number of issues still need to be discussed regarding a potential expansion to four divisions. The site of the 2021 state tournament is still to be determined.

If you read through the other parts of the board update, it's obvious that OSU is not available in any sport. They are scrambling to find alternative sites for winter sports tournaments at the moment.

If you read through the other parts of the board update, it's obvious that OSU is not available in any sport. They are scrambling to find alternative sites for winter sports tournaments at the moment.
Lots can chance between now and June. If Jesse O doesn't work out I look for it to be a three central Ohio HS like was going to happen last year.

As for the the 4 divisions, disappointing but not surprising.

Dale Gabor, the OHSAA Sports Administrator for Track and Field has asked me to reach out to Central District schools on his behave. Since Ohio State is not available to the OHSAA for the State Track and Field meet this year, they are looking to split the event between three sites. Their desire is to keep the meets in Central Ohio.

If you are interested and willing to host one division of the State Track and Field meet, please reach out to Dale for additional information. Some of his primary considerations will be your parking area, seating capacity and field event areas (are these areas near/convenient access to your stadium). For attendance capacity, you may consider including the open areas of your stadium that come into use as people stand in different areas to watch portions of the meet.

His desire is to conduct the meet in one day (field events in one session/ running events in a second session) but, if your school is interested and would prefer a two-day schedule, he is open to that discussion.

Your prompt reply is appreciated as Dale is trying to finalize these plans.

For those that may be interested, thank you for your interest in assisting the OHSAA during this year of adjustments.

Dale's email: dgabor@ohsaa.org

Jim Hayes, CAA
CDAB Secretary /Treasurer
740-207-1059

Such a shame splitting the meet. The only other time that happened was 1970 in the wake of concern over campus unrest over the Kent State deaths in early May of '70. I consider this splitting a tragedy.

If it's a one day event, does this mean there will be no sprint prelims, but instead slow heat/fast heat? This is also a concern for the distance athletes who would be on their 4x8 relay, and run the 1600.

Knowing that Dale was unable to address many of these concerns over the past few months until recently, its sad that no one else in ohsaa could step up to make the 4 divisons happen along with waiting this long to address the state meet location.

If it's a one day event, does this mean there will be no sprint prelims, but instead slow heat/fast heat? This is also a concern for the distance athletes who would be on their 4x8 relay, and run the 1600.
You could always start the morning event with the 4X800 relay. Then run the other events without prelims. Running the Div 2 meet on Friday would also be a good idea. So that it wouldn’t interfere with split squads.

The 1965 & 1966 State meets were run as a one-day affair. That lasted 2 years, and quickly reverted back to their previous 2-day format in 1967. I highly suspect that was due to VERY UNFAVORABLE feedback. Does OHSAA want to override sanity and revert to that again?

The OHSAA girls state track & field meet was first held in 1975, and for its first three years this championship was held separate from the boys, but ever since 1978 the two meets have been held simultaneously.

I'm thinking this is going to be a case of beggars can't be choosers. However, we run plenty of invites that have prelims and finals for Sprints and hurdles with more than 2 sections each. Relays will just have to be seeded by time. Isn't that the usual? At least the seed times will be legit. It's a matter of if they go strictly by time, or top 4 winners and then times from Regionals. (My preference)

Seeding by time is asinine and not fair given the frequent differential in weather across the state, even on the same day/time.

Seeding by time is asinine and not fair given the frequent differential in weather across the state, even on the same day/time.
I agree, but how else do you do the relays that is fair without running prelims? Everything else will be the same as always. Are you going to run Prelims for the 4x100, 4x200 and 4x400 on the same day as 100, 200, 400, 110H, 300h?

Now, what do we do with the extra qualifiers we've had the past few years. That sort of goes away on an 8 lane track.

I agree, but how else do you do the relays that is fair without running prelims?
You seed as the book tells you to, place before time.
Fastest regional winner... S2, L4
2nd fastest regional winner... S2, L5
3rd fastest regional winner... S2, L6
slowest regional winner... S2, L3
Then you do the same with the 4 runners-up to fill out section 2... lanes 2,7,8,1
Then you take the third places and put them in section one... lanes 4,5,6,3
Then you take the fourth places and fill out section 1... lanes 2,7,8,1.

You seed as the book tells you to, place before time.
Fastest regional winner... S2, L4
2nd fastest regional winner... S2, L5
3rd fastest regional winner... S2, L6
slowest regional winner... S2, L3
Then you do the same with the 4 runners-up to fill out section 2... lanes 2,7,8,1
Then you take the third places and put them in section one... lanes 4,5,6,3
Then you take the fourth places and fill out section 1... lanes 2,7,8,1.
Of course, but is that "fair"? For the State Championship? I prefer four first place finishers +next 4 fastest times. Stacked Regional doesn't hurt you.
It's a 2 section final. You know there is going to be complaints when a 3rd place in a Region is stuck in the slow section. Last year D2 boys 4x200. 4 teams from NE on podium. 2,3,4,8. 4th place in the state would be in slow section .

Right now, they take the top 2 from each section then the next 5 fastest. Of course, it would take a day about the temperature it is now for me to have to worry about such a thing.

At the NCAA indoor meet they split the final sprint races into heats (200/300/400). Often the winners can come from any of the heats. You get there, you ran fast and you let God sort out the winners. lol

I'm from Michigan and when I ran back in the 80's (and I think that they still do it this way) we ran the 4x8 and then sprint prelims in the morning with a break and the finals start in the afternoon. I don't recall what they did with the sprint relays but I'm sure that there are plenty of states who do a 1 day meet and have worked out the kinks to the system. Check and see their time schedules.

Such a shame splitting the meet. The only other time that happened was 1970 in the wake of concern over campus unrest over the Kent State deaths in early May of '70. I consider this splitting a tragedy.

Confirmed in the track and field regulations released on Thurs. that the state meet will be contested as follows:
DIII - Westerville North HS. DII - Pickerington North HS. DI - Hilliard Darby HS. IIRC, these were the 3 sites that were to be used if the season had been able to resume late last spring.

I do not weep as long as 2021 state champions can be crowned in the sport of track and field. We all work with what we have. It was rather apparent from posts made in other threads on this forum that OSU was not an option for this year. We shall see what the future holds.

Furthermore, I have been told by Football and wrestling coaches that OSU is not a viable option in the future for any high school sport. OSU has indicated they want to separate from OHSAA and hosting events on campus. This will not be a short term problem.

Furthermore, I have been told by Football and wrestling coaches that OSU is not a viable option in the future for any high school sport. OSU has indicated they want to separate from OHSAA and hosting events on campus. This will not be a short term problem.
Well if there is not one site in central Ohio available to host all 3 divisions makes it easier to go to 4 divisions at 4 different locations.

Think about the person Jesse Owens. Obstacles he overcame. Hard work and dedication he put into being a track and field athlete. Now think about the people making the decision to not use the facility named after him for the Ohio high school state championships. Could they be any further apart on the courage scale? The human being scale? People should be finding a way to use the facility more not less. The only time it shouldn't have a track and field event being held there is when they are resurfacing it from over use. Profile in courage... let's not use a track and field facility to host track and field meets. That's really the world we live in? We allow people that clueless and small to make decisions?

Think about the person Jesse Owens. Obstacles he overcame. Hard work and dedication he put into being a track and field athlete. Now think about the people making the decision to not use the facility named after him for the Ohio high school state championships. Could they be any further apart on the courage scale? The human being scale? People should be finding a way to use the facility more not less. The only time it shouldn't have a track and field event being held there is when they are resurfacing it from over use. Profile in courage... let's not use a track and field facility to host track and field meets. That's really the world we live in? We allow people that clueless and small to make decisions?

Well put.

Well if there is not one site in central Ohio available to host all 3 divisions makes it easier to go to 4 divisions at 4 different locations.
If we go to four divisions and JO isn't available, I'd rather see them hosted at two sites. Three sessions each day. D1 and D2 at one site, D3 and D4 at the other.

Session 1: D2 and D4 Field Events
Session 2: D3 and D1 Field Events, D2 and D4 Running Events
Session 3: D3 and D1 Running events
Repeat for Saturday.

This only causes problems with schools that are split between D2 and D3, whereas 4 sites means three splits to deal with. Also, I'd think you might be able to find two host schools that are closer together to facilitate coaches and spectators who wish to see events at both sites. How feasible is it to use both Darby and Davidson?

If we go to four divisions and JO isn't available, I'd rather see them hosted at two sites. Three sessions each day. D1 and D2 at one site, D3 and D4 at the other.

Session 1: D2 and D4 Field Events
Session 2: D3 and D1 Field Events, D2 and D4 Running Events
Session 3: D3 and D1 Running events
Repeat for Saturday.

This only causes problems with schools that are split between D2 and D3, whereas 4 sites means three splits to deal with. Also, I'd think you might be able to find two host schools that are closer together to facilitate coaches and spectators who wish to see events at both sites. How feasible is it to use both Darby and Davidson?
That works great to me. (y)