Best HS Football Stadium for each State

I think the whole track/no track thing Is overrated. All I care about is good sight lines and atmosphere.
I couldn't agree more. Just about every stadium has great sight lines..... Unless there is obstacles in your viewing path. I actually prefer to be further away and always sit in the very last row to get the highest point of view. You see the whole field better that way.

I couldn't agree more. Just about every stadium has great sight lines..... Unless there is obstacles in your viewing path. I actually prefer to be further away and always sit in the very last row to get the highest point of view. You see the whole field better that way.

Agree about being high, disagree about tracks. The key is to be high and still be as close as possible. The stadiums with no track and a pretty good rake usually are better for that reason.

Agree about being high, disagree about tracks. The key is to be high and still be as close as possible. The stadiums with no track and a pretty good rake usually are better for that reason.

Yep. Not sure why anyone would want to be further from the action. Higher? I get that, but give me a stadium with no track any day.

Yep. Not sure why anyone would want to be further from the action. Higher? I get that, but give me a stadium with no track any day.
Some stadiums without tracks actually have obstructed views by the sideline closest to the stands..... You are actually too close.

I want to be further because u see the whole field better, it's not just about height, if that was the case, coaches would have games filmed from the sideline up on the poles like they have in the endzones.

In all seriousness, a track is not making much of a difference. If there are light poles or other obstructions, that's a different story.

I can't say I've ever been in a track stadium I thought better for viewing than one without. Haven't been in one that has low stands or pole either though. Can't say it was a stadium that ever led me to not enjoy a game. Have been in a few stadiums that definitely added to the enjoyment. For fence standing, trackless all-the-way.

Most important is number of steps to the concession stand and as I get older, to the johns.

In all seriousness, a track is not making much of a difference.

Well you must love Welcome Stadium then, LOL. Of course that is an extreme example, but it is also one of the worst.

Maybe I am biased, but I think it is pretty hard to find a stadium with better sight lines than you have at St. X. Even down low, given how high up the stands start, are pretty good - although I prefer about mid-way up the center of the home stands.

By the way, the sight lines at The Pit, particularly on the visitor side, are terrible. And while I understand the history and appreciate it, from a pure watching the game standpoint, it is pretty terrible (particularly as a visitor).

When you can hear the coach talking to the team in the sideline huddle THAT is close proximity to the field. Not sure their is a stadium in the country were you basically sit directly on top of the coach and players like at Harding Stadium in Steubenville, Its been referred to as
"Indoor Football, outside" Being that close to action adds another element to the fan experience and makes the game even more enjoyable. They have added safety measures in recent years to better protect the player along the sidelines, which was needed.
The Clinton Massie coach was the only coach I ever seen distracted by the close quarters and actively engaged in smack talking to fans while the game was being played.

Well you must love Welcome Stadium then, LOL. Of course that is an extreme example, but it is also one of the worst.

Maybe I am biased, but I think it is pretty hard to find a stadium with better sight lines than you have at St. X. Even down low, given how high up the stands start, are pretty good - although I prefer about mid-way up the center of the home stands.

By the way, the sight lines at The Pit, particularly on the visitor side, are terrible. And while I understand the history and appreciate it, from a pure watching the game standpoint, it is pretty terrible (particularly as a visitor).
Nope I hate Welcome. Not because the sightlines are bad, but because it is a dump and should be demolished. Also, every time I have coached there, we get horrible interference with our headsets from what sounds like the campus radio station. Seriously though, the stands, the field, the concessions, locker rooms are all abysmal and should be razed.

X is a wonderful venue. I also agree that some sightlines at Elder are bad, especially if you are low in the stands since the first row is level with the playing field. It has gotten better since they got turf and got rid of the biggest and steepest field crown in all of sports.

Nope I hate Welcome. Not because the sightlines are bad, but because it is a dump and should be demolished. Also, every time I have coached there, we get horrible interference with our headsets from what sounds like the campus radio station. Seriously though, the stands, the field, the concessions, locker rooms are all abysmal and should be razed.

X is a wonderful venue. I also agree that some sightlines at Elder are bad, especially if you are low in the stands since the first row is level with the playing field. It has gotten better since they got turf and got rid of the biggest and steepest field crown in all of sports.

The only reason I hate Welcome is because of the sightlines (caused by the huge track and EXTREME distance between the first row of stands and the sidelines). If it is extremely cold, it also stinks because it is essentially a wind tunnel. It used to also have an awful crown and awful turf but at least that has been changed.

I know nothing about the locker rooms, but the stands, concessions and bathrooms while all terrible, are at least plentiful. I actually love the location (I live in Liberty Twp.) and easy access from the highway. So from that standpoint, it is a love/hate relationship.

Does the extra drive to Piqua for the Final Four game (usually between a Columbus team and a Cincy team, or even an earlier game between a north Cincy team and a Dayton team) justify the better sightlines? Not to me it doesn't. But given the apparent feud between City of Dayton Schools and the OHSAA, it doesn't appear as if at least that Final Four game is going to change any time soon and that, for the most part, the Region 4 final will be played at Mason.

Top row, yeah pretty much where i sit at well.
..and it is even better when there is no track.....

The only reason I hate Welcome is because of the sightlines (caused by the huge track and EXTREME distance between the first row of stands and the sidelines). If it is extremely cold, it also stinks because it is essentially a wind tunnel. It used to also have an awful crown and awful turf but at least that has been changed.

I know nothing about the locker rooms, but the stands, concessions and bathrooms while all terrible, are at least plentiful. I actually love the location (I live in Liberty Twp.) and easy access from the highway. So from that standpoint, it is a love/hate relationship.

Does the extra drive to Piqua for the Final Four game (usually between a Columbus team and a Cincy team, or even an earlier game between a north Cincy team and a Dayton team) justify the better sightlines? Not to me it doesn't. But given the apparent feud between City of Dayton Schools and the OHSAA, it doesn't appear as if at least that Final Four game is going to change any time soon and that, for the most part, the Region 4 final will be played at Mason.
Only think UD has is ample parking, although they usually charge more...

One thing is for sure, we are absolutely spoiled with the quality of our football stadiums in Ohio, from top to bottom. Our D1 and bigger school stadiums can compete with the very best across the US, and a road trip to the schools in Western - Northwestern Ohio will be filled with some of the most unique and highest quality small school football stadiums in the country. Friends of mine from other states are extremely envious of the football tradition here in the Buckeye state!

One thing is for sure, we are absolutely spoiled with the quality of our football stadiums in Ohio, from top to bottom. Our D1 and bigger school stadiums can compete with the very best across the US, and a road trip to the schools in Western - Northwestern Ohio will be filled with some of the most unique and highest quality small school football stadiums in the country. Friends of mine from other states are extremely envious of the football tradition here in the Buckeye state!
I second that. Football stadiums are pretty horrific for most schools in most states, if they have one.

Top row, yeah pretty much where i sit at well.
..and it is even better when there is no track.....
I normally stand on the track and watch for home games and stand as close to the field as possible for away games. I then walk up and down the field following the action.

I normally stand on the track and watch for home games and stand as close to the field as possible for away games. I then walk up and down the field following the action.
Away games I typically stand as there are never any seats.
Home games....seems like the regulars have their own unreserved, reserved seats! Then come playoff time, we always seem to migrate to the same spot as we would for home games.

This year was diff as a few games were watched from outside the fence since the Dictator limited capacity.

Where do they allow you to stand on the track? Most stadiums the track is inside a fenced area where fans cannot get to, and the others I have been to that aren't will not allow anyone to stand down there and watch a game.

Where do they allow you to stand on the track? Most stadiums the track is inside a fenced area where fans cannot get to, and the others I have been to that aren't will not allow anyone to stand down there and watch a game.
At Springfield Shawnee the fence only goes around the football field and the track is accessible to fans (obviously not this year). Please note this arrangement is due to having separate football and soccer fields. So the track around the football field is the old track and the track around the soccer field is the new track. And the fence surrounds the track on the soccer/track complex.

Kettering Fairmont has the best stadium in the GWOC. No track and great home & away bleachers makes a big difference.

At Springfield Shawnee the fence only goes around the football field and the track is accessible to fans (obviously not this year). Please note this arrangement is due to having separate football and soccer fields. So the track around the football field is the old track and the track around the soccer field is the new track. And the fence surrounds the track on the soccer/track complex.

Noticed SS must be pretty serious about the Rona. They only allowed ya to go to the JV OR varsity hoops games...

Noticed SS must be pretty serious about the Rona. They only allowed ya to go to the JV OR varsity hoops games...
Without getting political, they are taking it exceptionally serious. At times almost too far. I really think they are terrified of a state inspector walking in and shutting them down.

1610890982191.png

1610890982191.png

Without getting political, they are taking it exceptionally serious. At times almost too far. I really think they are terrified of a state inspector walking in and shutting them down.
Ya have to be pretty darned bad to have someone from the DGS (Dewine's goon squad) to shut ya down.

Noticed they didnt even bother having a concession stand, pretty much all the bleachers were taped off as NO SITTING areas and they were adamant that once inside the school the JV and Varsity team had to stay as far apart as possible which made no sense to me but hey to each their own, I guess.

It was one of the bigger places I have been to this winter and the least crowd they were allowed to bring.

One other thing about SS. I have been there twice for football games, non varsity, and each time they had to beg fans to come down and do the chains and stated they game could not start until someone volunteered. Opposing fans dads came down to run the chain gang.

Just thought that was......odd.

Ya have to be pretty darned bad to have someone from the DGS (Dewine's goon squad) to shut ya down.

Noticed they didnt even bother having a concession stand, pretty much all the bleachers were taped off as NO SITTING areas and they were adamant that once inside the school the JV and Varsity team had to stay as far apart as possible which made no sense to me but hey to each their own, I guess.

It was one of the bigger places I have been to this winter and the least crowd they were allowed to bring.

One other thing about SS. I have been there twice for football games, non varsity, and each time they had to beg fans to come down and do the chains and stated they game could not start until someone volunteered. Opposing fans dads came down to run the chain gang.

Just thought that was......odd.
For whatever reason we have always had a hard time with chain gang for JV/Freshmen games. I personally don't like it because I want to pace but I have done it in the past.

As for the gym situation, I wish I had answers. Some of the decisions that have been made from a sports perspective have not made sense to me this year.