Turkey or Ham

Which of the following will you have for Thanksgiving this year? (One or two picks).

• Turkey

Votes: 12 85.7%
  • Ham

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Venison

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Fish

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tofu Turkey

• Other

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I saw something about Honeybaked Ham on TV once. I was under the impression they did something really special but what the =y really do is pour the coating on then cook it on quickly with a propane torch.

that would be special. Stuffs much too sweet for me.

Simple ham with the pineapple rings with cherries in the middle and little cloves stuck around. Don't get those since the previous generation passed but sure do miss it.

that would be special. Stuffs much too sweet for me.

Simple ham with the pineapple rings with cherries in the middle and little cloves stuck around. Don't get those since the previous generation passed but sure do miss it.
Grandma's ham for holidays/special occasions was always prepared that way. Maraschino cherries were a special treat when I was younger.

Grandma's ham for holidays/special occasions was always prepared that way. Maraschino cherries were a special treat when I was younger.

first time I saw a black cherry I was all, "what's that?" Didn't know there were any other kind than those masaschinos.

first time I saw a black cherry I was all, "what's that?" Didn't know there were any other kind than those masaschinos.
Grandma had two cherry trees and a pear tree in her yard plus a grape arbor over the well. The cherry trees would have a gummy substance seep out on the tree. Used to chew on chunks of whatever that was for hours. Whatever it was, it didn't kill me.

Grandma had two cherry trees and a pear tree in her yard plus a grape arbor over the well. The cherry trees would have a gummy substance seep out on the tree. Used to chew on chunks of whatever that was for hours. Whatever it was, it didn't kill me.

yet

Sap in Food or Drink
Historians believe that Native Americans taught early settlers of the United States to use the residue of cherry tree sap as chewing gum. Because the sap is clear and tasteless and dries to a chewy consistency, it makes an easy, plentiful and sugar-free chewing gum. Also, using a bit of sap with cherries and sugar can help make a very powerful cherry brandy. You can take the all the ingredients, mix them together, and then let them sit for a period of time, usually longer than a month, and produce a delicious and powerful alcoholic beverage.

BTW, is that Grandma in the video?

How many of you have done the deep-fried turkey thing? I have not and have never had the opportunity to try the meat from a deep-fried turkey.
My wife's best friend's husband is Cajun, from Gonzales, LA. He taught me how to cook Cajun style deep fried turkey around 25 years ago. With the exception of maybe three of four times, I've done deep fried turkey his way ever since. And turkey salad made from deep fried is the best I've had, if I do say so myself. Besides, what better way to spend quality time with my son frying a bird, smoking Cuban cigars, drinking beer and Irish whiskey, grunting, belching and farting in the Wisconsin cold, talking about hiking, camping and guns. That's probably my favorite day of the year.

To go with it, I'll make cornbread dressing. The wife makes Brussels sprouts, bacon and pecan casserole, and real mashed taters with corn mixed in (the boy's favorite). Anyway, that's Thanksgiving.

Christmas is pretty simple with ham sandwiches on batch buns, smoked salmon fillet, and either sweet potatoes or butternut squash.

Last edited: