Division V State Final: AP #2 Ironton (11-0) vs. AP #1 Kirtland (10-0)

Ironton or Kirtland?

• Ironton by 15+

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • Ironton by 7-14

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Ironton by 1-6

Votes: 22 19.8%
  • Kirtland by 1-6

Votes: 15 13.5%
  • Kirtland by 7-14

Votes: 39 35.1%
  • Kirtland by 15+

Votes: 28 25.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Kirtland has a population of 6,800 and no open enrollment...any of the Ironton fans have Ironton numbers? Similar?

Not going to argue with youGoherd83, Ironton is a hellava team and has a very impressive history. Same can be said of Kirtland since Tiger took over...someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think his record with Kirtland is 184-17, going to championship game 8 times with 5 wins...and a 40 game winning streak going right now
Correct. Counting this one it‘s their 9th trip there. Only 7 of those losses are from this last entire DECADE

Not going to argue with youGoherd83, Ironton is a hellava team and has a very impressive history. Same can be said of Kirtland since Tiger took over...someone can correct me if I’m wrong but I think his record with Kirtland is 184-17, going to championship game 8 times with 5 wins...and a 40 game winning streak going right now
If you like numbers, Ironton in their 10th state championship game. Ohio started playoffs in 1972. That means the tigers are in state game 20.8% of the time. Only got whacked twice. ‘73 to Benedictine 38-13 and ‘92 to Mentor Lake Catholic 31-7. For a small town with really not much industry or wealth means an impressive feat.
That Ironton % is literally unbelievable. Considering it's LaVerde's 15th year they're hitting the Finals over 50% of the time. . . seriously. Add in MSML, Coldwater, and (whoever I'm forgetting) and this is why I get torqued when folks only consider "real" football is at the D1/2 level. (Looking at you posters on the "Mr. Football" thread).

Last edited:
Kirtland is the real deal. You won’t scrape by in this one if you play the same game you have played the last 3 weeks. If Ironton can come play a perfect game and outplay these guys, best of luck to you and congratulations but I don’t see it happening even with a perfect game

That Ironton % is literally unbelievable. Considering it's LaVerde's 15th year they're hitting the Finals over 50% of the time. . . seriously. Add in MSML, Coldwater, and (whoever I'm forgetting) and this is why I get torqued when folks only consider "real" football is at the D1/2 level. (Looking at you posters on the "Mr. Football" thread).
That's fair but it doesn't make it untrue. If it were TOSU...would load up on hornets every year...

And 9/15=3/5=.6=60%

The question is have they ever? Loaded up on Hornets. The way they play is a thing of Beauty..truly is. I do not think they would fair well against X or Hoban.

Raylen_Givens, completely agree. Small school football in Ohio is incredible. High school football in Ohio for that matter is incredible. I came back to watching it ~7 years ago as I was tired of watching the Browns disappoint year in and year out. Watching high school kids play their hearts out (when 99%+ know after this that is it) is way more enjoyable then watching professional (and even college)

Great statement on kirtland, they parallel ironton in having a great coach, Tiger, and great assistant coaches. Like Laverde, Ironton had bob Lutz. I think 383-91-4? 8 state finals, unfortunately only 2 wins. Unbelievable how much respect down here on the river tiger fans think of hornets. We know that it'll be an uphill climb but exciting too. An interview after the bacon game with Carrico, he stated the respect for Kirtland and quoted they have no punks on team. A solid group of guys that play hard. A Walgreens around Obetz should have a sale on ben-gay. I'm sure they'd sale out Saturday afternoon, both buses stopping at same time. Lol

Great statement on kirtland, they parallel ironton in having a great coach, Tiger, and great assistant coaches. Like Laverde, Ironton had bob Lutz. I think 383-91-4? 8 state finals, unfortunately only 2 wins. Unbelievable how much respect down here on the river tiger fans think of hornets. We know that it'll be an uphill climb but exciting too. An interview after the bacon game with Carrico, he stated the respect for Kirtland and quoted they have no punks on team. A solid group of guys that play hard. A Walgreens around Obetz should have a sale on ben-gay. I'm sure they'd sale out Saturday afternoon, both buses stopping at same time. Lol
Another thing I like about small school football in Ohio is both the players and fans are all extremely friendly. I have been to many Kirtland games (against e.g. Ironton, MSML, Magadore, Rootstown, Cuyahoga Heights, etc.) and always talk to opposing fans and all have been very friendly. A few years back (the year after Cuyahoga Heights shut out Kirtland 2 times) I was at a playoff game against either Rootstown or Magadore (can’t remember which one) and ~20 kids from Cuyahoga Heights team were there rooting on Kirtland (and Cuyahoga Heights had a game the next night).

I’m assuming it’s to ensure the stadium is empty by 10 (hence the curfew). There’s a game after this one, & the OHSAA designates a certain amount of time between each game for sanitation to set up the next game. As a result, they bumped up the start times by 45 minutes to avoid running into curfew.
Oh I forgot Dewine’s curfew. Gotta be home by 10 lol

Much safer that way... Scientific research shows that the covid virus is ineffectual after 10pm. Viruses need their sleep, too, apparently.

And so it is another trip for Ironton back to the state final, against a foe they played just a year ago for the ship. I hope Ironton is able to pull through with the victory this year and show the little ole southern ohio can really put it together, many posts I’ve read say Ironton shouldn’t even show up bc they’ll get beat by 2 scores. I think they’re ready prove everyone wrong
Ironton 22 Kirtland 21

And so it is another trip for Ironton back to the state final, against a foe they played just a year ago for the ship. I hope Ironton is able to pull through with the victory this year and show the little ole southern ohio can really put it together, many posts I’ve read say Ironton shouldn’t even show up bc they’ll get beat by 2 scores. I think they’re ready prove everyone wrong
Ironton 22 Kirtland 21
I haven’t seen anyone say they shouldn’t show up. Can you quote that statement so I can see it?

Wow. All games have been moved to Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon. While it is Tiger themed, I feel awful for the Ironton faithful. I will admit we are spoiled in the northeast having the title games played in Canton/Massillon every year except for a few.
And with a location finally somewhat centralized, it gets moved again to the northeast. While I feel bad for the added travel, I know that both teams in this one don’t care if they play in a parking lot in Toledo...they both just want their hands on the gold trophy.

if you go back to the beginning few pages many are saying kirtland will roll Ironton by 2 scores plus, almost implying that Ironton shouldn’t show up
Again, I'm the one who said "roll," and I didn't use it in the context of a blowout. I actually referred to last year's game which... was a 2-score win by Kirtland. While some folks have said "15+" or used blowout-type language, I think the majority of comments are simply saying Kirtland has the clear edge and deserve to be considered the heavy favorite until proven otherwise. Most posters are outright showing a healthy respect for this matchup.

Wow. All games have been moved to Paul Brown Tiger Stadium in Massillon. While it is Tiger themed, I feel awful for the Ironton faithful. I will admit we are spoiled in the northeast having the title games played in Canton/Massillon every year except for a few.
And with a location finally somewhat centralized, it gets moved again to the northeast. While I feel bad for the added travel, I know that both teams in this one don’t care if they play in a parking lot in Toledo...they both just want their hands on the gold trophy.
Franklin County is now PURPLE on the Ohio County COVID Map, that must be the reason for moving the games

Ironton now with a 4 hr bus ride on 48 hours notice way to go OHSAA
As I said before, I feel awful for the Ironton faithful who now have to travel an extra 2 hours+ just to be at the game on Saturday. Some won’t say it, but I do. NEO football is absolutely spoiled having the championships held in Canton/Massillon for most of the last several years. And again, both teams would play in a parking lot if they had to. I understand why the OHSAA did what it did, but it puts some ADs and families into scramble mode because their practice & travel plans may have to change.
Either way, I don’t see this affecting the way the boys play on Saturday as it’s just a change in venue. It may draw some well-deserved ire from non-NEO fans, but the boys on both sides are psyched up for this one.

Ironton 22 Kirtland 21
Didn’t Wheelersburg show them just 3 years ago in 2017? I believe they are in Southern Ohio too! Pretty close to Ironton as a matter of fact...

Didn’t Wheelersburg show them just 3 years ago in 2017? I believe they are in Southern Ohio too! Pretty close to Ironton as a matter of fact...

Very close. However go beyond them and find a team that had made the final four the likes of Trimble and Fort Frye are the only others that have. Just wanting to show we have teams that can compete with anyone anywhere in the state is all