D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
where are all the Hoban fans at? i wanna talk
I'll chat with you. What's on your mind? I've been watching Massillon's game highlights a bit yesterday to figure out where to watch the matchups in the game. The lines look fairly evenly matched (both DLs look stronger than the opposite OL), but there are some speed matchups in DB / WR kids that look like they'll be interesting.

I'll chat with you. What's on your mind? I've been watching Massillon's game highlights a bit yesterday to figure out where to watch the matchups in the game. The lines look fairly evenly matched (both DLs look stronger than the opposite OL), but there are some speed matchups in DB / WR kids that look like they'll be interesting.
thank you, for your response. Massillon does have a fairly strong receiving core but i know Hoban can match with almost anyone they play, so i think theyll be able to get the job done.

What is everyone's score predictions for this game. (please make then somewhat realistic)
What is everyone's score predictions for this game. (please make then somewhat realistic)
17-7 Massillon

If it is anything like last year it will be a defensive and special teams battle. But, Massillon has a third WR this year that could make all the difference.

thank you, for your response. Massillon does have a fairly strong receiving core but i know Hoban can match with almost anyone they play, so i think theyll be able to get the job done.
After watching more video, I'm also favoring Hoban, and thinking 21-13. Hoban's backfield has matched up very well against teams who run similar pass plays to Massillon's standard look, and it would not surprise me to see another interception or two, similar to what happened late-game against Avon. Both team's D-lines will wear down any QB, but I think that Hamm has an edge for the Knights in keeping late-game composure when the RBs are gassed and getting shut down play after play. Both team's running games are strong, but play directly into the opposing defenses. I can see drives where the Tigers are held to FGs early, and while Massillon has a stronger kicking game, I think that Hoban's backfield D is stronger than Massillon's and makes the small difference between two very evenly matched teams.

After watching more video, I'm also favoring Hoban, and thinking 21-13. Hoban's backfield has matched up very well against teams who run similar pass plays to Massillon's standard look, and it would not surprise me to see another interception or two, similar to what happened late-game against Avon. Both team's D-lines will wear down any QB, but I think that Hamm has an edge for the Knights in keeping late-game composure when the RBs are gassed and getting shut down play after play. Both team's running games are strong, but play directly into the opposing defenses. I can see drives where the Tigers are held to FGs early, and while Massillon has a stronger kicking game, I think that Hoban's backfield D is stronger than Massillon's and makes the small difference between two very evenly matched teams.

Good take. I would also say Hoban is favored, pretty similarly to last year. Will take another tremendous effort, and come down to a play here and there, ala last year and ditto LaSalle last week. All 3 VERY good, fairly even teams duking it out that each could win vs. the other on any given day.

I have not seen Hoban this year but I would agree Hamm's vast playoff experience may be the most notable advantage on paper. Not to mention a very talented QB regardless. Catrone is also playing as well as he has all season after nursing through a shoulder injury early.

I think it may be closer than you think, i'm going say
Hoban 35
Massillon 21
I project a Hoban player will get a pick six in the fourth to seal the deal and i'm going to say it will be Alvin Stallworth
If that projection is correct you can certify me as a fortune teller

Massillon has to be able to run the ball consistently. The last 2 title games the Tigers have been out rushed by more then 425 yards. Now granted this is a new year and the Tigers have a much better D and the RB’s are healthy. The Tigers have the talent at WR to keep Hoban honest, they have to hit on the 5-7 yard outs and curls.
I could easily see this game being played out to how last years game went. A low scoring slugfest.
1. Run the ball
2. Stop the run
3. Win special teams
4. Win the turnover battle

Massillon has to be able to run the ball consistently. The last 2 title games the Tigers have been out rushed by more then 425 yards. Now granted this is a new year and the Tigers have a much better D and the RB’s are healthy. The Tigers have the talent at WR to keep Hoban honest, they have to hit on the 5-7 yard outs and curls.
I could easily see this game being played out to how last years game went. A low scoring slugfest.
1. Run the ball
2. Stop the run
3. Win special teams
4. Win the turnover battle

I agree with you that if Massillon can accomplish steps 1-4, they will win. I think that the Tigers will accomplish steps 2&3, but I'm not so certain about 1&4. See St. Ed's, the 2nd Benny game, and Walsh for teams that tried to run consistently. Massillon has better RBs than Benny and Walsh, but the Hoban D has been strong against the run all season. For passing games, the outs and curls tend to work for the first 2-3 quarters, but as games go on Hoban usually has better staying power, and wins the turnover battle in the 4th qtr.

I agree with you on the low scoring slugfest. I wouldn't be surprised if Massillon wins as you have a great team, but I still think Hoban pulls away late.

Wow didn't know that existed. The more you know.
It’s the only Jr High left standing in Massillon. Yeah. I’m an old guy.
Correct and when the school was first built they were called the Pearls because the front of the school faced Pearl ave. It is the jr high that gave us Steve Luke Tommy Hannon and Denny Franklin among many other Tiger greats.
Found this info on http://www.oldohioschools.com/stark_county.htm

eajones_massillon.JPG

The links under the photos take you here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/21484260@N04/sets/72157604631143553/ and here: http://www.oldohioschools.com/stark_county_files/Stark Massillon Jones 1 OLD.jpg

Last edited:
Im going to be watching line play...who gets a better crease for their backs against these Uber good D lines...and how they deploy..

Then I'm watching the secondary....our recievers are that good ..how will they be defended..I'm itching to see ballard/kirk and fox/clark/lamp on other side.

Went to Longfellow...found a jersey at a garage sale scooped it up ..

Coached at LA..

Played Jones...missed those times wish kids could experience all city night today...it made us better.

Somebody should pin this as an example of what is to be expected on a football forum discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.