D II State Championship: Archbishop Hoban (10-0) vs. Massillon (10-1)

Winner?

• Washington

Votes: 105 42.0%
  • Archbishop Hoban

Votes: 145 58.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago would have agreed with you, but I honestly thought when Massillon got LaSalle in semis that the state might have been trying to avoid this final. Conspiracy theories aside, there is a no-man's land in the area West of I77 along US30 corridor where teams across the divisions constantly move between NW/NE/Central regions.

The semi's should have been Hoban/LaSalle and Avon/Massillon. But given OHSAA's support for private schools, their record of dominance, and blind eye to the private v. public debate, they deemed it only fair in that if a D2 public ever wins another title they must defeat both. (I do think they fully intended a Hoban v. LaSalle final and F whoever don't like it).

That said... F it, and F them, we'll try it the hard way again and it will be that much sweeter. :) Trolls gonna troll but win or lose I am very proud of our accomplishments. 3rd straight final is a great feat.

Use the ignore button you won't notice them unless some idiot quotes them ..then block them too...problem solved.

Good luck Knight's obviously we'll show and be ready to play. We don't keep ending up here by accident.

Win lose or draw Massillon always.
All are now on ignore ... it amazes me each year how delusional some people are ? i can’t wait to watch our seniors last game on Friday ??
#GoKnights

I hate to detract from the tone of this thread, but how about some actual football talk?

Contrived by the OHSAA or not, this is really the game everyone wanted (other than the Avon and LaSalle fans of course). Both of these teams have dominated the line of scrimmage this season so it will be interesting to see who wins the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The sophomore RB for Massillon, Hartson, has been huge but the Massillon offense will have to be a little more diverse in this one or Hoban will just hunker down and focus on stopping the run. Massillon doesn't need to throw it 25 times but enough to keep the Hoban D honest. Johnson, Ballard and Lamp are gamebreakers who need to see the ball. Both teams have plenty of big game experience but it's a hell of an asset to have a QB like Hamm playing in his 3rd championship game. This Hoban team is not the disciplined machine of past years and commits penalties that are uncharacteristic of their teams the last 4 years. That's something they'll need to control in a close game like this one.

I think this will be an outstanding game that could go either way. It's a damn shame we can't all head to Canton take this one in. I think it comes down to whose lines play better and timely turnovers. If I had to guess, Hoban pulls it out late in a relatively low scoring game, something like 21-14. Good luck to both teams.

Last edited:
Cheering for Hoban in the 2000s is like cheering for the Lions against the Christians in ancient Rome. I'd rather listen to 1000 Massillon honks than 1 Hoban apologist.
Your entire team is pillaged from the 4-5 surrounding counties & the feeder systems of other schools. Really should think about changing the school mascot to the Raiders. Or maybe Barbarians. Knights seems a little too dignified for y'all
Doesn't Massillon have kids from Summit County???

Hey Massillon fans! On this thread let's make an honest effort to ignore the usual haters. Im not talking about Hoban fans that want to have a little banter. I'm talking about the douchebags who every thread just spew their hatred for no reason. Just remember they hate us cause they ain't us and try to ignore them.
I would ask you all to just stay the he!! off of here all week. It's going to be the usual idiots spewing the usual crap. Be above it and stay away.

I think it comes down to whose lines play better and timely turnovers. If I had to guess, Hoban pulls it out late in a relatively low scoring game, something like 21-14. Good luck to both teams.

Idk Clark somebody who thinks they know alot about football, and definitely knows about losing to Massillon, says it all depends on our so-so QB playing well above his so-so talent. LOS, running game, defense, special teams, to's & penalties are non-factors. Catrone was lucky to defeat Branam but I can't see him defeating Hamm. You never know though.

Cheering for Hoban in the 2000s is like cheering for the Lions against the Christians in ancient Rome. I'd rather listen to 1000 Massillon honks than 1 Hoban apologist.
Your entire team is pillaged from the 4-5 surrounding counties & the feeder systems of other schools. Really should think about changing the school mascot to the Raiders. Or maybe Barbarians. Knights seems a little too dignified for y'all

There are a surprisingly low number of Hoban fans on here. There were more at the start of their run but they dropped away as the incessant p!$$!ng contests persisted, driven primarily by one alum poster who eventually disappeared. It's too bad some didn't come back. The true Hoban fans remaining like Redwing (as opposed to the occasional bragging fan boys), are insightful and very much benefit the threads.

Hamm's not the fastest. Hamm's not the strongest. Hamm doesn't have the strongest arm. What he does have are smarts and experience and an uncanny ability to come up with the big play when needed. He's not going to set the recruiting world on fire, but he sure does win games. He'll make some small college football team very happy. He makes me think of Kevin Burke, the QB from St. Ed's a while back that went on to success at Mount Union.

There are a surprisingly low number of Hoban fans on here. There were more at the start of their run but they dropped away as the incessant p!$$!ng contests persisted, driven primarily by one alum poster who eventually disappeared. It's too bad some didn't come back. The true Hoban fans remaining like Redwing (as opposed to the occasional bragging fan boys), are insightful and very much benefit the threads.
Idk I kind of miss DB04's antics. Always provided great entertainment and definitely fueled a lot of players on the 2015 team to prove him wrong. With that being said I wish more true Hoban supporters would post on here. It's always nice to have good banter about two very good football teams

Yeah, they definitely have lost quite a few posters over the years. I always like Redwing. From back in 2017 when Avon first met Hoban he’s been all about football insight, not drama.

This should be fun. Hoban is a dynasty in the making. Massillon is a former dynasty looking for that first playoff title to awaken the ghosts.

I hate to detract from the tone of this thread, but how about some actual football talk?

Contrived by the OHSAA or not, this is really the game everyone wanted (other than the Avon and LaSalle fans of course). Both of these teams have dominated the line of scrimmage this season so it will be interesting to see who wins the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball. The sophomore RB for Massillon, Hartson, has been huge but the Massillon offense will have to be a little more diverse in this one or Hoban will just hunker down and focus on stopping the run. Massillon doesn't need to throw it 25 times but enough to keep the Hoban D honest. Johnson, Ballard and Lamp are gamebreakers who need to see the ball. Both teams have plenty of big game experience but it's a hell of an asset to have a QB like Hamm playing in his 4th championship game. This Hoban team is not the disciplined machine of past years and commits penalties that are uncharacteristic of their teams the last 4 years. That's something they'll need to control in a close game like this one.

I think this will be an outstanding game that could go either way. It's a damn shame we can't all head to Canton take this one in. I think it comes down to whose lines play better and timely turnovers. If I had to guess, Hoban pulls it out late in a relatively low scoring game, something like 21-14. Good luck to both teams.
Hamm's not the fastest. Hamm's not the strongest. Hamm doesn't have the strongest arm. What he does have are smarts and experience and an uncanny ability to come up with the big play when needed. He's not going to set the recruiting world on fire, but he sure does win games. He'll make some small college football team very happy. He makes me think of Kevin Burke, the QB from St. Ed's a while back that went on to success at Mount Union.
Hamm is so good he made 2 programs better. The Mick kid was there as a Fr/So & went back to Northwest for his Jr/Sr seasons and helped them restart the fire in that program.

Hamm reminds me of that QB fans always want to replace with someone bigger or faster but he just keeps doing what it takes to win and the coach can’t imagine not having him.

All are now on ignore ... it amazes me each year how delusional some people are ? i can’t wait to watch our seniors last game on Friday ??
#GoKnights
How
Use the ignore button you won't notice them unless some idiot quotes them ..then block them too...problem solved.

Good luck Knight's obviously we'll show and be ready to play. We don't keep ending up here by accident.

Win lose or draw Massillon always.

It's hard to figure what hb10 found objectionable about this... ..

This should be fun. Hoban is a dynasty in the making. Massillon is a former dynasty looking for that first playoff title to awaken the ghosts.
Very poetic...and mostly true.

Yes we haven't won in 50 years...true..but it's not like we faded into oblivion we have continued to be relevant.

To add to the poetry...1970...2020?...

Pretty sure we just moved back into #3 nationally..and gaining

Status
Not open for further replies.