Northern Buckeye Conference 2020

You think Oak Harbor or Chippewa will beat Elyria Catholic?
no way chippewa will beat elyria catholic but oak harbor has the better chance because oak harbor upset port clinton with a back up qb plus elyria catholic allowed 505 rushing yards in a 55 -21 loss to valley forge and oak harbor has a balanced offense so yes oak harbor can beat elyria catholic.

no way chippewa will beat elyria catholic but oak harbor has the better chance because oak harbor upset port clinton with a back up qb plus elyria catholic allowed 505 rushing yards in a 55 -21 loss to valley forge and oak harbor has a balanced offense so yes oak harbor can beat elyria catholic.

I would enjoy an Eastwood/Oak Harbor rematch.

Playoff results/thoughts:

D4
Rossford 44 Triway 34 - Best overall offensive game all year for the Bulldogs. This seems to be what people were waiting all year for. Now they get the Shelby Whippets who are the real deal.

D5
Lake 20 Waynedale 26 - Not a good loss for the Flyers. Maybe looking ahead to the potential rematch with Eastwood. Lake ends with another subpar/average year.

Fostoria 0 North Union 48 - The struggle continues. Fostoria needs to go schedule some teams of their caliber for the next two weeks to finish out the year. Find a few games you can be competitive in.

Elmwood 53 Lakota 21 - Royals finally get that playoff win. They are rewarded with a trip down to BVC champion Liberty Benton.

Woodmore 16 Hicksville 28 - Seemed like the Wildcats were competitive. I like the schedule they end with though. Should be some competitive games for them.

Genoa 55 Brooklyn 0 - Comets rolled, but Brooklyn was B-A-D. Interesting matchup next week with North Union for the Comets. If things click they may be able to pull an upset.

Eastwood and Otsego sat idle with Bye's this week. Eastwood will host Waynedale next week and Otsego will host Pleasant (which could be a sneaky good game).

Round 2 Playoffs begin Friday. Here's my projections:

Rossford 14 Shelby 38 - The up and down season for the Bulldogs continues. Rossford will get 1 more win when they play Fostoria and Drusback will have another year right around .500.

Otsego 35 Pleasant 24 - Game is close until the 4th quarter when the Knights pull away. Otsego doesn't beat themselves and their QB has made great decisions all year. If Pleasant can force some turnovers and hit a few big plays, watch out.

Elmwood 19 Liberty Benton 42 - LB just a little too much for the Royals, but Elmwood makes it competitive most of the night.

Eastwood 31 Waynedale 14 - I think Waynedale will have a tough time stopping the ground attack of Eastwood. Waynedale was able to beat Lake because of some big plays and costly Lake mistakes.

Round 2 Playoffs begin Friday. Here's my projections:

Rossford 14 Shelby 38 - The up and down season for the Bulldogs continues. Rossford will get 1 more win when they play Fostoria and Drusback will have another year right around .500.

Otsego 35 Pleasant 24 - Game is close until the 4th quarter when the Knights pull away. Otsego doesn't beat themselves and their QB has made great decisions all year. If Pleasant can force some turnovers and hit a few big plays, watch out.

Elmwood 19 Liberty Benton 42 - LB just a little too much for the Royals, but Elmwood makes it competitive most of the night.

Eastwood 31 Waynedale 14 - I think Waynedale will have a tough time stopping the ground attack of Eastwood. Waynedale was able to beat Lake because of some big plays and costly Lake mistakes.

I don't think the Fostoria game is happening. Maybe a game against PC if they both lose this weekend? They are playing a JV game against each other tonight, and Drusback and Beau Carman are pretty good friends.

If they hold Shelby to 38, I'll be stunned. Rossford will need to score in the 30s to avoid a running clock. Sit in cover 2 to take away the big plays and let Shelby rip off 10-15 yard gains all night, or stack the box and give up long TDs like they did against Triway. Too many weapons for the Whippets, who've moved the ball against everyone on their schedule.

I don't think the Fostoria game is happening. Maybe a game against PC if they both lose this weekend? They are playing a JV game against each other tonight, and Drusback and Beau Carman are pretty good friends.

If they hold Shelby to 38, I'll be stunned. Rossford will need to score in the 30s to avoid a running clock. Sit in cover 2 to take away the big plays and let Shelby rip off 10-15 yard gains all night, or stack the box and give up long TDs like they did against Triway. Too many weapons for the Whippets, who've moved the ball against everyone on their schedule.

Rossford is hosting Fostoria on 10/23 (if they get knocked out of playoffs) and hosting Port Clinton on 10/30.

Regular season action from last night:
Lake 37 Woodmore 0
Fostoria IDLE

Tonight:
Rossford at Shelby
Pleasant at Otsego
Waynedale at Eastwood
Elmwood at Liberty Benton
Genoa at North Union

DIV 4
Rossford 13 Shelby 32 - Bulldogs play tough but can't overcome the 4 turnovers. One week closer to basketball season.

DIV 5
Otsego 38 Pleasant 6 - Ground game was effective for the Knights as they piled up nearly 300 yards on the ground. When they are clicking on the ground and through the air....watch out.

Eastwood 35 Waynedale 0 - All Eagles. Eastwood defense played well and offense controlled the ball.

Genoa 7 North Union 35 - Comets only mustered 100 yards total offense while giving up over 400. Genoa may have their first back to back consecutive losing seasons since '05-'06.

Elmwood 13 Liberty Benton 33 - Royals made it competitive but LB too much. Elmwood is getting there though.

I lived in Shelby for a few years as a kid and still have family living in the area. There has always been strong support for the school in general and the football team in particular.

What's up with Lake cancelling on Perkins last night? There was a weather delay and Perkins offered to postpone to today but Lake said no and the game was cancelled....so now Perkins is trying to find a game for today (10/24)

Edit to include an article about this:

Last edited:
Sounds like the league is making an effort to keep Woodmore and Elmwood by ADDING 4 schools. Going the way of SBC and having a 6 team "Large School" division and 6 team "Small School". If Woodmore takes off after the invites have been sent out, that would put the league in a really bad spot. Based on what I have been hearing, certain schools have already accepted offers in the last month. Northwood is one of the schools that was offered an invite from the chatter I've heard.

Sounds like the league is making an effort to keep Woodmore and Elmwood by ADDING 4 schools. Going the way of SBC and having a 6 team "Large School" division and 6 team "Small School". If Woodmore takes off after the invites have been sent out, that would put the league in a really bad spot. Based on what I have been hearing, certain schools have already accepted offers in the last month. Northwood is one of the schools that was offered an invite from the chatter I've heard.
So who are the other schools?

So who are the other schools?

You have to think Northwood and Gibsonburg...maybe Lakota and Van Buren? I mean, there's only so many options as far as size and location. I think there's a better chance of the SBC getting these teams although SMCC's continued attempt to play 11-man is really throwing a ratchet in things.

You have to think Northwood and Gibsonburg...maybe Lakota and Van Buren? I mean, there's only so many options as far as size and location. I think there's a better chance of the SBC getting these teams although SMCC's continued attempt to play 11-man is really throwing a ratchet in things.
Think TAAC.
All four that you mentioned were asked, Lakota and Gibsonburg plus Hopewell said no. Northwood said yes and trying to get the league to ask Ottawa Hill and Stritch. Van Buren is a maybe. They also have Maumee I heard.
The problem the small schools would have Woodmore and Elmwood and the next smallest is Genoa, then the next is Eastwood who would never drop down. Plus the want cross over games in football, so which small school wants Eastwood or Otsego? They all want Fostoria.

All four that you mentioned were asked, Lakota and Gibsonburg plus Hopewell said no. Northwood said yes and trying to get the league to ask Ottawa Hill and Stritch. Van Buren is a maybe. They also have Maumee I heard.
The problem the small schools would have Woodmore and Elmwood and the next smallest is Genoa, then the next is Eastwood who would never drop down. Plus the want cross over games in football, so which small school wants Eastwood or Otsego? They all want Fostoria.
Instead of strictly enrollment why not do a competitive balance type of thing and put Fostoria in with the smaller schools? They could reevaluate every couple of years. If Fostoria is dominating the smaller schools (they won't) they could move them back with the bigger schools.

With Van Buren being an option why not include Liberty-Benton. VB and LB being a few miles apart would be great additions to the conference with travel mostly through I75. It would be a very good move for both teams from the BVC as the future of the conference doesn’t look very bright.

I have a hard time seeing them adding Stritch and OH. Toledo Christian is then just left out in the cold?

I think the NBC would be well served to move on from the smaller schools and replace them with a Maumee (if they are truly available) and then go after Liberty-Benton. Might be easier said than done, but I think adding 3-5 smaller schools makes things difficult for both sides.

Been a little MIA the lately. I can confirm that VB and Northwood has an offer and either intends to accept or has already done so. The other offers out on the table 4 weeks ago were gibsonburg, lakota and Ottawa hills. Hopewell did decline their offer.

NBC is definitely trying to reel in 4 small teams to make Elmwood/Woodmore happy. With school districts likely getting bigger then smaller in the near future, I’m surprised they aren’t targeting maumee/Oak harbor types and letting woordmore/Elmwood walk.

Add maumee and Ottawa Hills then create two 6 team tiers.
Big school
Maumee
Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Otsego
Genoa

Small school
Fostoria
Elmwood
Van Buren
Northwood
Woodmore
Ottawa Hills

I have a hard time seeing them adding Stritch and OH. Toledo Christian is then just left out in the cold?

Toledo Christian is 8 man.

Edon, Hilltop, and Montpelier would be left out. And frankly, 2/3 of them will be 8 man eventually too....and no one wants Montpelier.

If you're talking other sports, schools like TC, MVCD, etc. could always look west and team with the BBC.

Add maumee and Ottawa Hills then create two 6 team tiers.
Big school
Maumee
Rossford
Lake
Eastwood
Otsego
Genoa

Small school
Fostoria
Elmwood
Van Buren
Northwood
Woodmore
Ottawa Hills
Maumee will not be joining the NBC. Their male enrollment tops 6 NBC schools by 100. No one in the NBC wants them.

Toledo Christian is 8 man.

Edon, Hilltop, and Montpelier would be left out. And frankly, 2/3 of them will be 8 man eventually too....and no one wants Montpelier.

If you're talking other sports, schools like TC, MVCD, etc. could always look west and team with the BBC.

yeah I had forgotten about them being 8-man. They do have decent sports outside of football.

Maumee will not be joining the NBC. Their male enrollment tops 6 NBC schools by 100. No one in the NBC wants them.
I wouldn’t say no one wants them. There is Atleast 2 AD that do. The problem is Hill is the big cheese of AD in the conference and Eastwood doesn’t so that means no one wants them.

Also something I heard through the AD chatter, some AD’s really want oak harbor for the natural fit but Otsego is against the hour drive. I have a feeling the nbc is going to look really different in coming years.

one thing no one is talking about is Rossford and lake could really see an enrollment boom in the coming years with the industry expanding in their districts. If they start to get substantially bigger, will the rest of the conference want to keep them? Are those schools at risk of jumping out of the NBC if the NBC decides they want to go the small school route?