A lost art form?!?!?

MoeDude

LIVE FREE OR DIE!
I've been having a chat with an old high school buddy about the art work on the old 33 RP album covers and some of the posters that were included in the sleeves. I kind of took it for granted but when music moved to the digital age this art form took a hit. Here's a link to 100 of those albums from the 1970s.

1970s Album Covers

It kept the tradition going when CDs first came out. Remember when the packaging was double the size, or more, of the CD but, for environmental reasons they stripped it down to only be the size of the actual CD.

Got blank looks from my adult kids when I tried to explain the excitement of buying a new album and tearing off the plastic wrap. The artwork, liner notes, posters, etc were all part of the experience.

I'd still like to find out who stole in the poster inserted into Hotel California when I was in college.

Jethro Tull - Aqualung

1603320991148.png

Edit: Album cover attached. Forgive my earlier laziness.

Last edited:
Got blank looks from my adult kids when I tried to explain the excitement of buying a new album and tearing off the plastic wrap. The artwork, liner notes, posters, etc were all part of the experience.

I'd still like to find out who stole in the poster inserted into Hotel California when I was in college.
Remember those days! The anticipation of seeing if they included the lyrics was like Christmas morning each time you got a new tape!

I was probably 4 or 5 when I discovered this album in my brothers collection...I played and stared at it for hours and hours over the next few years. I remember asking things like why ain't he bleeding, where is that guys legs at the table, is that a train back there, is that a picture or painting ...I was absolutely mesmerized by this album...
Still think it is dang good music... and can't stop staring again.

Last edited:
Album Covers

Sonny Malone (Michael Beck) paints album covers for AirFlo
records in the film Xanadu; Kira (Olivia Newton-John)
is his Greek Muse (Terpsichore) ~ Gene Kelly's (age 68) in
his last role in film (he will later host/narrate "That's
Dancing" and "That's Entertainment III").

- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

When it comes to the extras (AKA 'gatefold') in albums
you can thank Canton, Ohio native Enoch Light who
pioneered the format...

"Gatefold packaging for LPs was popularized in the late 1950s by band leader
and stereophonic studio recording pioneer Enoch Light, so he could fit
notes he had written describing the sounds in each song on the album sleeve.
~ In order to fit all of his descriptions on to the album sleeve, he
doubled the size of the sleeve but enabled it to fold like a book, thus
popularizing the gatefold packaging format." A few of his album covers had
die-cut out areas to show art work on the inner sleeve.
This style of a cover would later be used for the Rolling Stones album
Some Girls (1978)
220px-Some_Girls.png

"An elaborate die-cut design, with the colours on the sleeves varying in
different markets, it featured the Rolling Stones' faces alongside those
of select female celebrities inserted into a copy of an old Valmor Products
Corporation advertisement." The faces could be seen thru the die-cut holes
in the cover.

- + - + - + - + - + - + - + - + -

As Paul Harvey would say..."and now you know the rest of the story."
- for those who don't know who Paul Harvey was... a radio snippet...

:>---

one of the few

Not ranked /just picked as a great album cover....

I liked this one...
220px-Supersnazz.jpeg

They also had the BANANA on the list.

One from Aerosmith - Draw The Line...
art work by Al Hirshfeld ~ (which means hidden somewhere in all those lines is 'NINA'),
it's hard to make out but the number next to the artists name is either a 3 or 5 **
Aerosmith-Draw-The-Line.jpg

** Wikipedia...
Hirschfeld is known for hiding Nina's name, written in capital letters ("NINA"), in most of the drawings he produced after her birth. The name would appear in a sleeve, in a hairdo, or somewhere in the background. As Margo Feiden described it, Hirschfeld engaged in the “harmless insanity,” as he called it, of hiding her name at least once in each of his drawings.] The number of NINAs concealed is shown by the number written to the right of his signature. Generally, if no number is to be found, either NINA appears once or the drawing was completed before she was born.
as Artie Johnson would say "Very interesting"

:>---

EGA

Last edited: