NEO District Predictions

ENA2

I Usually look forward to District Predictions this time of year. I have not seen any, not sure if it is due to Covid-19 or if interest is low this year...or maybe it is just "unpredictabole". I know it's late, but lets see what the Yappi world thinks might happen at these district meets.

It's hard. Not a lot of data, but I'll take a crack at D2.

Boys LCCC, Woodridge, Bay, Fairview Park, Cloverleaf, Keystone, CVCA
Girls LCCC, Woodridge, Cloverleaf, Beaumont, Hathaway Brown, Brookside, Lutheran West, CVCA (Not sure Cloverleaf is at 100%, but assume they run all their best.) Lutheran West and CVCA just because of coaching.

GlenOak Boys...Marlington, $V$M, Tuslaw, Field, Fairless, Salem, Poland
Madison Boys...NDCL, Lake Catholic, West Geauga (I messed up with WB), Lakeview, Edgewood, Jefferson Area

Glen Oak Girls...$V$M, Poland, Salem, Springfield, Marlington, Girard, Northwest
Madison Girls... Hawken, Crestwood, Lakeview, Garfield, NDCL, Chagrin Falls(plug my nose on that pick)

Last edited:
Madison
D1 Boys
1. Kenston #4 no one else has found a way to beat them yet. Strong in the front with depth. And they are getting better

2. St. Ignatius their top two will be looking to finish in the top 3. They tail off in the back but that won’t be a problem in this field.

3. Mentor just a great pack running team. Their back should finish in the top 25.

4. Solon. They ran very well at their conference. Their 4 and 5 runners should dial it down a little.

5. Riverside their #1 will help them a lot in this field.

6. Howland they ran solid in a large field at Boardman

7. Shaker Heights I would place them #5 but the Raiders had to skip their Conference meet. That worries me.

8. Chardon having a great coaching staff always helps

9. Geneva

Madison Girls D1

1A. Shaker Heights if healthy they should win a close one

1B. Kenston a carbon copy of Shaker Heights. This could be a virtual tie

3. Mentor no doubt a top 3 team here. I would pick them as my preseason champion

4. Chardon all the Hilltoppers have to do is run like they have all year.

5. St. Joseph Academy great job of rebuilding Coach

6. Howland

7. Solon

8. Riverside

9. Mayfield

Madison D2 Boys:
West Geauga, NDCL, Lake Catholic, Hawken, Edgewood, Lakeview
Madison D2 Girls:
Chagrin Falls, Hawken, Edgewood, Perry, Geneva, Lakeview

Part of the challenge is figuring out how many of the schools entered will score a team. It seems like participation numbers are down this fall for the vast majority of smaller schools.

DIII GlenOak
Boys (5 teams advance)
1. East Canton
2. Canton Central Catholic
3. South Range
4. Manchester
5. Lake Center Christian
----------------------------
6. Mogadore
I don't know much about these teams after the top 3.
Individual winner: Scheatzle, Canton CC

Girls (5 teams advance)
1. Rootstown
2. East Palestine
3. Canton Central Catholic
4. East Canton
5. Mogadore
------------------------------
6. South Range
I see 6 teams fighting for 5 spots, and I also don't see a clear-cut favorite to win the team title.
Individual winner: Wade, East Canton

Madison D3 Girls

1A Maplewood The defending Regional Champions very good up front and solid in the back

1B Gilmour A little better in the front then MW the difference will be if they can run the Gophers even at 4 and 5.

3. Mineral Ridge they should also finish third next week also. Their low #1 runner gives them a good heads up here.

4. McDonald despite losing most of their roster from last season I don’t see a problem advancing to the region

5. Berkshire

6. Kirtland I guess

Last edited:
Madison D3 Girls

1A Maplewood The defending Regional Champions very good up front and solid in the back

1B Gilmour A little better in the front then MW the difference will be if they can run the Gophers even at 4 and 5.

3. Mineral Ridge they should also finish third next also. Their low #1 runner gives them a good heads up here.

4. McDonald despite losing most of their roster from last season I don’t see a problem advancing to the region

5. Berkshire

6. Kirtland I guess
It's quite possible that the 4 girls teams that go to state from this region all come from this district race.

Yes very possible
I think Maplewood, Gilmour, and Mineral Ridge look like state teams, and your comments indicate that you feel the same way. Those 3 appear to have more margin for error than the other teams in the region have. McDonald will be tangling with a couple other teams for the 4th spot next weekend, but we have all of next week to discuss it.

The Madison Girl’s D1 is a buzz saw. There are six state ranked teams in the field. If the weather tears up the course it could bring the top three teams back into the field.

Interesting difference between back in the 80's when I ran and now. I was thinking back on the courses I ran and we rarely repeated sections. The Sectional courses I ran did not repeat at all. I ran 4 different courses in 4 years. The District course was always Goodyear and I hated it because it repeated too much and that was minimal compared to the 3 courses in the NE Districts this year. I'm not sure we even had "team camps" I guess it's what you are used to, but I would hate running these courses.

566D873F-1A98-4916-90D1-68309849A087.jpeg

Dual meet between Bay and Woodridge boys. Bay looks good. Woodridge needs 2-3 to step up a bit, but very good 4-7. Throw Marlington in the mix next week and we will have a very good look at probably 3 of the top 5 teams in the state.

Bay needs 4-5 to run big to have a shot at Woodridge. Woodridge has fantastic depth 4-10, so someone can have a bad day at 4-5 and have 6-7 pick up the slack. Woodridge starts off with a 2 point advantage.

Bay should be ranked #2 behind Woodridge.

Last edited:
Part of the challenge is figuring out how many of the schools entered will score a team. It seems like participation numbers are down this fall for the vast majority of smaller schools.

DIII GlenOak
Boys (5 teams advance)
1. East Canton
3. South Range
4. Manchester
5. Lake Center Christian
----------------------------
6. Mogadore
I don't know much about these teams after the top 3.
Individual winner: Scheatzle, Canton CC

Girls (5 teams advance)
1. Rootstown
2. East Palestine
3. Canton Central Catholic
4. East Canton
5. Mogadore
------------------------------
6. South Range
I see 6 teams fighting for 5 spots, and I also don't see a clear-cut favorite to win the team title.
Individual winner: Wade, East Canton

Not a good effort to predict but not a lot of data to work with either.

Actual results
Girls:
1. Mogadore
2. Rootstown
3. South Range
4. East Palestine
5. East Canton
-------------------
6. Canton Central Catholic
Individual Winner: Lane, Mogadore

Boys:
1. East Canton
3. South Range
4. United
5. Manchester
-------------------
6. Mogadore
Lake Center Christian didn't even score a team, and I predicted they'd advance. That was a major whiff.
Individual Winner: Scheatzle, Canton Central Catholic

Also, there were a few teams in the other divisions whose chances were greatly diminished by runners being quarantined via contact tracing at their respective schools.

It's hard. Not a lot of data, but I'll take a crack at D2.

Boys LCCC, Woodridge, Bay, Fairview Park, Cloverleaf, Keystone, CVCA
Girls LCCC, Woodridge, Cloverleaf, Beaumont, Hathaway Brown, Brookside, Lutheran West, CVCA (Not sure Cloverleaf is at 100%, but assume they run all their best.) Lutheran West and CVCA just because of coaching.
Brookside #2 girl has been out since week 3 with a stress fracture. Had she been able to run it would have made a difference.

Revere was the best example of "not a lot of data". Only dual meets until their conference last week. They looked solid today.

Brookside #2 girl has been out since week 3 with a stress fracture. Had she been able to run it would have made a difference.

Revere was the best example of "not a lot of data". Only dual meets until their conference last week. They looked solid today.
Unfortunately I have about 50 years of data on Revere. I wanted to pick them, but I went with my head and not my heart. Good for them though. They are good neighbors.

I stunk it up on the Lutheran West pick.

I nailed the boys LCCC pick.

The girls race shows how important it is to have a better 4-5 than 1-2

So the question every year, how do the courses match up time wise?? To me it looks like Madison and Glen Oak ran true and LCCC ran about 30 seconds slow. Any thoughts?

Not looking at times, just gut feeling.

D2 Boys... Woodridge, Bay, Marlington, NDCL , West G, Tallmadge (Cloverleaf)
Girls.... $V$M, Chagrin Falls, Woodridge, Hawken, Poland, Hathaway Brown (Cloverleaf)

Madison D3 Girls

3. Mineral Ridge they should also finish third next week also. Their low #1 runner gives them a good heads up here.

5. Berkshire

6. Kirtland I guess