Trends You Find Excruciatingly Annoying

Ones I can remember:

We stole some tools and need to get out of town. wtf (What did I look like, the godfather)?

We came to town to go to church. Can you give us a couple bucks worth of gas to get back home? Sympathetic, but it was a weekday at noon.

We came from Town A to find work in Town B. Can you help us out so we can get (see above)? Persistent. Females. Red Alert!

We ran out of gas and are bumming our way to the coast to help a friend. Gave the two young men a ride to the nearest station (dumb), but that's it.

I'm in the service and need to get back to the base tonight. Again, sympathetic, but how does someone drive halfway across the state w/o money? Hmmm...

:rolleyes:

After giving $ to a sign holder once or twice, I learned my best response was a firm "no". Keeps me from making either the right or wrong decision! LOL

The worst one was maybe 25 years ago my dad picked a guy up who said he had sick kids at the house and needed money to get them meds. My dad picked him and drove him to the nearest pharmacy. Guy about blew a gasket when my dad offered to pay for whatever over the counter meds would help. Guy yelled and screamed at my dad and then walked off.

My dad told me the story and then mentioned "you know the real sad thing is is he probably does have sick kids but still would spend any money I gave him on booze over helping his kids".

HS kids having media events for choosing the.college they will play for by picking out the hat where they are going.

Arrogant much? And we wonder whey they grow up with a sense of entitlements.
I don’t have a problem with a kid making a public announcement and soaking in some of the attention. Very few people ever get that opportunity and they should take time to enjoy it. However, the videos have become pretty obnoxious & self indulgent. It went from a ceremony in the HS gym where a kid picks a hat off a table to skydiving out of a plane.

"Influencers." I get a kick out of reading threads of entitled influencers who get shut down asking for free stuff.

I don’t have a problem with a kid making a public announcement and soaking in some of the attention. Very few people ever get that opportunity and they should take time to enjoy it. However, the videos have become pretty obnoxious & self indulgent. It went from a ceremony in the HS gym where a kid picks a hat off a table to skydiving out of a plane.

This is a personal favorite in 2020>

HS kids having media events for choosing the.college they will play for by picking out the hat where they are going.

Arrogant much? And we wonder whey they grow up with a sense of entitlements.
I love the tweets "#blessed to receive an offer from poe-dunk D3 university." The other day I saw a kid who is a back up at a larger school tweet that he was "blessed to receive a roster spot" from some small D3 who will take the kids (parents and Uncle Sam) money for a year.

Getting tired of the Tattoo Rage.

I find it kind of funny the reactions you get when you ask someone about theirs. It ranges from: You are invading my space by asking about them - TO - A story about the one I asked about and every other one the person has on their body, including those that are best not ever seen.
This. Respect the "crazy." The older I get the more I see "image people" in that they want to be projected in such a way that they will go to phoney means to do so.

Late 90s early 00s the craze was Harley Davidson. Every weekend warrior bought a bike and wore Harley all of a sudden. Ill never forget driving by a local school parking lot where they were offering lessons on how to drive a motorcycle for about 15 middle aged men. Hilarious.

This. Respect the "crazy." The older I get the more I see "image people" in that they want to be projected in such a way that they will go to phoney means to do so.

Late 90s early 00s the craze was Harley Davidson. Every weekend warrior bought a bike and wore Harley all of a sudden. Ill never forget driving by a local school parking lot where they were offering lessons on how to drive a motorcycle for about 15 middle aged men. Hilarious.

Do you have a motorcycle?

:>---

Leatherneck

I love the tweets "#blessed to receive an offer from poe-dunk D3 university." The other day I saw a kid who is a back up at a larger school tweet that he was "blessed to receive a roster spot" from some small D3 who will take the kids (parents and Uncle Sam) money for a year.
Yeah, those are funny.
Many people dont understand at many of those smaller conferences the sports teams are a means of recruiting enrollment at the college. They dont get schollies and such, and believe it is a huge honor to get to play at the next level. Yeah, its cool and all, but....

Had a buddy of mine who was an asst and each year it was highly encouraged that he get a few kids to come and try out and play. By 'recruiting' those player he earned his position on the staff.

Do you have a motorcycle?

Leatherneck
No not at the moment. Did I touch a nerve? I grew up riding 3 wheelers and dirt bikes. Owned motorcycles in the past. I do not need one for an image though, and I certainly do not need lessons as part of the mid-life crisis so I can wear cut-off Harley shirts. Lol

I played Div III football back in the '80s, I made my announcement via my parents by telling them to send in the deposit and I would pay them back when the summer gig kicked in. The Div I guys were not much different either, except they did not have to send in a deposit but they did have to turn in the paper work that basically signed their football rights away for 4 years. I will say that the recruiting even at that level was cool, overnights were a blast as an 18 year old and the staffs really went out of their way to make it feel like you were wanted.

I played Div III football back in the '80s, I made my announcement via my parents by telling them to send in the deposit and I would pay them back when the summer gig kicked in. The Div I guys were not much different either, except they did not have to send in a deposit but they did have to turn in the paper work that basically signed their football rights away for 4 years. I will say that the recruiting even at that level was cool, overnights were a blast as an 18 year old and the staffs really went out of their way to make it feel like you were wanted.

Still much better to recruited by Louisville Basketball.

I get that and am in no way knocking D3 football. There are dudes at D3. Kids that slip through the cracks for various reasons. Then there are the 50 freshmen "recruited" every year to boost enrollment.

It's kind of a pay to play system at that level now. Maybe not quite that. Still a good education and college experience to be had. And those alum connections I imagine still work.

No not at the moment. Did I touch a nerve? I grew up riding 3 wheelers and dirt bikes. Owned motorcycles in the past. I do not need one for an image though, and I certainly do not need lessons as part of the mid-life crisis so I can wear cut-off Harley shirts. Lol

You didn't touch a nerve, I have 2 (both Hondas - 250 & 500 Silver Wing).
I've been riding since 1963 (used to barrow a buddy's), got the license endorsement
long before a test was required.
The Harley image thing took off when Malcom Forbes started riding a Harley.
I can understand the lessons too, especially if you've never been on a 'bike' before,
and the bike is a heavy model. Besides they instruct to pass the test on the first try.

Do not mistake kindness for weakness.

EGA

You didn't touch a nerve, I have 2 (both Hondas - 250 & 500 Silver Wing).
I've been riding since 1963 (used to barrow a buddy's), got the license endorsement
long before a test was required.
The Harley image thing took off when Malcom Forbes started riding a Harley.
I can understand the lessons too, especially if you've never been on a 'bike' before,
and the bike is a heavy model. Besides they instruct to pass the test on the first try.

Do not mistake kindness for weakness.

EGA
I have good friends who are Outlaw bikers (Outlaws, Avengers, Iron Coffins). I respect the lifestyle, just is not for me. However, I got a kick out of the trend 10-15 years ago that all these white collar snobs went out and bought a Harley for image alone. Cut off Harley tee-shirt, shaved head, goatee and all.

True bikers will tell you that Harley Davidson is a junk machine. Inferior to Jap bikes. Even Sonny Barger says so which says something.

I have good friends who are Outlaw bikers (Outlaws, Avengers, Iron Coffins). I respect the lifestyle, just is not for me. However, I got a kick out of the trend 10-15 years ago that all these white collar snobs went out and bought a Harley for image alone. Cut off Harley tee-shirt, shaved head, goatee and all.

True bikers will tell you that Harley Davidson is a junk machine. Inferior to Jap bikes. Even Sonny Barger says so which says something.
communist

Only ones I laugh at are the toons that have to make them see-me. Visually? Who cares. But the unavoidable? Blasting music, loud exhaust, racing the streets (on any type bike). Seriously, I learned early that turning the throttle really isn't all that hard. These are people with small egos. Or is it ids? Whatever, they're insecure. But otherwise, if someone wants to buy a toy and are not purposely making me a participant in their joy, have at it. If they just want to customize it? I'm all for it and no Japanese bike is superior to HD in that regard. That's why they, buy ours.

Yeah, the make-up artists look a bit silly but... revel in their joy. Personally, I don't need or want that large a bike but if I could get an 883 or smaller and put some streamers on the handle bars without being called a girly-girl, I'd probably putt around town in that.

communist

Only ones I laugh at are the toons that have to make them see-me. Visually? Who cares. But the unavoidable? Blasting music, loud exhaust, racing the streets (on any type bike). Seriously, I learned early that turning the throttle really isn't all that hard. These are people with small egos. Or is it ids? Whatever, they're insecure. But otherwise, if someone wants to buy a toy and are not purposely making me a participant in their joy, have at it. If they just want to customize it? I'm all for it and no Japanese bike is superior to HD in that regard. That's why they, buy ours.

Yeah, the make-up artists look a bit silly but... revel in their joy. Personally, I don't need or want that large a bike but if I could get an 883 or smaller and put some streamers on the handle bars without being called a girly-girl, I'd probably putt around town in that.
Lol, same can be said of the Lil' diick trucks. All jacked up, loud exhaust, and making up for shortcomings elsewhere. Lol

]

Last night a very old South Park episode ran involving a group of Harley drivers gunning their machines while going through the town. The kids responded by calling the Harley riders fags. After a lot of hubbub overthe use of the word , the show ended with the kids convincing the editor of a dictionary to change the definition of to mean a Harley driver.

Personally, I don't need or want that large a bike but if I could get an 883 or smaller and put some streamers on the handle bars without being called a girly-girl, I'd probably putt around town in that.
And a little bell with a crank lever on the side? Just make sure those streamers are red-white-and-blue, so they know you're driving a Murican bike!.