Freshman football 2020

WTF happened in the Springboro game?
They had a varsity size offensive line. Their nose tackle was a beast, played both sides of the ball. They were very very good, best team they played this year. My guess is a few of those kids did not play on the freshmen level much, if at all, this year. I’m not saying they weren’t freshmen just that they probably played up. The Centerville team Elder played Saturday supposedly beat the Springboro team and they could not have beat the Soringboro team I saw. It was obviously a statement game for Boro, they were all about winning in The Pit. Their fans were screaming about owning The Pit in the 4th quarter. ?

They had a varsity size offensive line. Their nose tackle was a beast, played both sides of the ball. They were very very good, best team they played this year. My guess is a few of those kids did not play on the freshmen level much, if at all, this year. I’m not saying they weren’t freshmen just that they probably played up. The Centerville team Elder played Saturday supposedly beat the Springboro team and they could not have beat the Soringboro team I saw. It was obviously a statement game for Boro, they were all about winning in The Pit. Their fans were screaming about owning The Pit in the 4th quarter. ?
I was wondering if Elder might’ve moved up any Freshman to JV.

Springboro probably played sophomores, or Elder just had a bad game. The important thing is Elder has a good freshman class. I could see 3 of their defensive players playing Varsity next year.
Playing on Varsity? Maybe. I think one starts (Dugan), the others rotate in. The JV is pretty strong in the Front 7 as well. They have 2 LBs (Voelkerding and Hoernschmeyer) who dress for Varsity. Voelkerding actually got a lot of PT with Spinney out in the FF game. They also have Freeman already starting at NT and 2 pretty solid DEs in Hulen and Schamer.

They moved Schaclachter up to back up/fill in for Schoester at Qb. He more than held his own.

Volkerding, Horschenmeyer, and Dugan will all play a lot next year at the Varsity level.

Schacleiter (sp) is actually the QB1 for Frosh? I thought it was Brass.

Anyone else hear that Elder got a couple freshmen stud transfers recently? If what I heard is true then Elder is stacked in that class...

Anyone else hear that Elder got a couple freshmen stud transfers recently? If what I heard is true then Elder is stacked in that class...
Transfers or players from public schools outside the feeder system? They have a few really good OL from public schools, but they've been with the team the entire season. If they actually got a few additional studs, that would be huge.

In just the freshman class?

Seems it could be all classes as there are a bunch of families really struggling with online learning in the public schools. Add to that Elder now taking vouchers and it could bring some great new growth to the school.

Last edited:
Also hearing Oak Hills may be going open enrollment. What I heard was some of the sports people are pushing it. If that’s the case I would say this will eventually really help Elder. With their close proximity to CPS I’d say OH would be making a monumental mistake for the future of their schools.

Also hearing Oak Hills may be going open enrollment. What I heard was some of the sports people are pushing it. If that’s the case I would say this will eventually really help Elder. With their close proximity to CPS I’d say OH would be making a monumental mistake for the future of their schools.

Is the theory here that this would push the typical OH kid to the private schools as newcomers would flock to OH?

Curious of who the “sports people” would be at OH. Other than Football and maybe Wrestling as of late, Oak Hills Athletics does pretty well with the kids they have and the League they are in. OH goes Open Enrolllment and they will really only get kids from CPS and possibly a few from Taylor. The School/District is not really located in a good spot for open enrollment imo.

Curious of who the “sports people” would be at OH. Other than Football and maybe Wrestling as of late, Oak Hills Athletics does pretty well with the kids they have and the League they are in. OH goes Open Enrolllment and they will really only get kids from CPS and possibly a few from Taylor. The School/District is not really located in a good spot for open enrollment imo.

I agree. I’m assuming it’s mainly football people that would want it. It’s just things I’ve heard mentioned from OH parents who have switched their kids over to GCYL football. I’d personally be surprised if the decision makers in the district went for open enrollment.

I agree. I’m assuming it’s mainly football people that would want it. It’s just things I’ve heard mentioned from OH parents who have switched their kids over to GCYL football. I’d personally be surprised if the decision makers in the district went for open enrollment.

Agreed. No inside info but think that would be a bad move.

Are you saying that OH would be doing this (open enrollment) to boost total enrollment or to boost their sports teams— or both? And then what would be the alleged reason that parents of current OH students would then be motivated to move their kids from OH to Elder (or, presumably, Seton, McCauley, etc.)?

Oak Hills hired a heck of a football Coach. It would not be shocking if the open enrollment is to try and capture the coming collapse of Colerain. Bolden was pulling in a lot of kids into Colerain from the west side when he was there and now with him moving on seems like a great opportunity for Oak Hills to capitalize on the opportunity. Also with the collapse of Taylor High school the cards might be getting set really well for Oak Hills to build a good football program

Oak Hills hired a heck of a football Coach. It would not be shocking if the open enrollment is to try and capture the coming collapse of Colerain. Bolden was pulling in a lot of kids into Colerain from the west side when he was there and now with him moving on seems like a great opportunity for Oak Hills to capitalize on the opportunity. Also with the collapse of Taylor High school the cards might be getting set really well for Oak Hills to build a good football program
The collapse of Taylor HS? What happened there? I’m not aware of that... I know they’ve never had a good football team (or other sports, for that matter)...

I agree that could be their reasoning for considering it.

Wasn’t Colerain open enrollment? I think you could argue that was a definite factor in the overall mess going on in that school district. (Which goes way beyond the coming collapse of the football program) I just don’t see how that would be any different for OH if they take that route when you consider their districts locations and how they border CPS. IMO OH would run the risk of becoming basically another West Hi a decade or so down the road.

Last edited:
I agree that could be their reasoning for considering it.

Wasn’t Colerain open enrollment? I think you could argue that was a definite factor in the overall mess going on in that school district. (Which goes way beyond the coming collapse of the football program) I just don’t see how that would be any different for OH if they take that route when you consider their districts locations and how they border CPS. IMO OH would run the risk of becoming basically another West Hi a decade or so down the road.

I don't think Colerain is OE.

Plenty of Districts surrounding Colerain already have Open Enrollment. How many Colerain Football players already transferred to LW?

Taylor isn’t collapsing as a school. Yeah, their football team is struggling, but the school itself is doing well.

OHs has hired a few very good coaches over the years, but it never worked out bc the system itself is rotten. What’s even crazier, if you look at their athletic program as a whole, you could argue they’re in the top 1/2 of the GMC. I’d rank them ahead of Middletown, Colerain, Hamilton, Princeton, Fairfield, and Sycamore. They’re even pretty close to Lakota East.

Sorry, I meant Taylor's football program is collapsing. It is in shambles and the bottom is still a long ways down. Oak Hills new coach knows this and will capitalize on picking up these kids.

Sorry, I meant Taylor's football program is collapsing. It is in shambles and the bottom is still a long ways down. Oak Hills new coach knows this and will capitalize on picking up these kids.
There’s not a lot to pick off. Frankly, their best players all came from Visi. If the new coach wants to get OHS turned around, he needs to fix the lower levels before anything else. It’s a total mess right now. If they can get that stabilized, then they have a chance at at least being competitive.

Sounds like the trend of kids choosing Taylor really has died down. I’m guessing part of the reason is that their sports programs aren’t very good. I’d have to think vouchers at Elder has played a big role too.

There just isn’t much talent at Three Rivers. Their best players are almost always private school kids that are overweight for the GCYL.

They are 3-4 this year so far, why do you say the Taylor football program is in “shambles?" I would call a winless season "shambles."
Taylor also has the Cincinnati Hills League Defensive Player of the Year, a junior who was a unanimous pick for the award.