Northern Buckeye Conference 2020

So glad these games are on live TV. I watched this one also. Looked like Otsego was able to get them away from their Jr High blitzes and forced them to play a very generic base defense. 2nd or 3rd time I watched Rossford on TV. The result doesn’t suprise me.
Excluding this game, the most they gave up was 26. I’d say the defense has improved.

Excluding this game, the most they gave up was 26. I’d say the defense has improved.

They probably got older and bigger. By default they may have gotten better. Schematically, it looks like a dumpster fire. A good team that can push the ball downfield will expose them.

Thoughts on the playoffs for this year? Obviously we will know more when brackets are released.

Division 4
Rossford being in division is really tough this year. That region is pretty loaded with teams like Bellevue, Lagrange, Shelby, Huron, Van Wert, Wauseon, Clyde and Napoleon. They may be able to win a game or two but eventually will get matched up against one of those schools.

Division 5
Otsego has risen to the top this year and will enjoy their 1st conference title in 15 years. The region aligns nicely for them too. Region 18 is pretty top loaded and they should be able to avoid Ottawa Gladorff and Liberty Benton until regional semi-finals and maybe even regional finals. I wouldn't count out Eastwood too depending on their draw. It would be neat to see an Otsego/Eastwood rematch. Genoa, Lake, and Elmwood may get 2 wins in the playoffs too due to the region being so top heavy.

Division 6
Good luck Woodmore. Depending on 1st round matchup they could have a game that is winnable.

Thoughts on the playoffs for this year? Obviously we will know more when brackets are released.

Division 4
Rossford being in division is really tough this year. That region is pretty loaded with teams like Bellevue, Lagrange, Shelby, Huron, Van Wert, Wauseon, Clyde and Napoleon. They may be able to win a game or two but eventually will get matched up against one of those schools.

Division 5
Otsego has risen to the top this year and will enjoy their 1st conference title in 15 years. The region aligns nicely for them too. Region 18 is pretty top loaded and they should be able to avoid Ottawa Gladorff and Liberty Benton until regional semi-finals and maybe even regional finals. I wouldn't count out Eastwood too depending on their draw. It would be neat to see an Otsego/Eastwood rematch. Genoa, Lake, and Elmwood may get 2 wins in the playoffs too due to the region being so top heavy.

I think Region 18 has a lot of “good” Division V teams. You really need to look at every team’s game schedule results and analyze the competition they have played.

Teams such as: Bath (1-4), Pleasant (1-4), Oak Harbor (2-3), Ben Logan (2-3), Indian Lake (2-3) are all very good football programs that play very tough schedules against larger schools. I think any of these schools would do very well in the NBC and would all potentially compete for a title in this conference. I could see any of those teams winning several games in the playoffs.

Winning a game or two for Rossford will be tough. This region is very good.

I know absolutely about Benjamin Logan and Indian Lake (both nearly 2 hours away) so I can’t really speak to them.

Bath will potentially make some noise in the region. The WBL is a meat grinder this year. Hopefully they can stay healthy.

Oak Harbor is not very good this year. Lost nearly every starter from last years squad.

Pleasant too is a little down this year compared to what they normally churn out from year to year.

It’ll be interesting, because the coaches will get the final say on how everyone is seeded within the region.

Oak Harbor is not very good this year. Lost nearly every starter from last years squad.
They lost to Bellevue (5-0) by a TD. Bellevue has beaten a good Norwalk team 20-6 and a very good Columbian (4-1) program. I would say they are doing just fine.

Last edited:
I know absolutely about Benjamin Logan and Indian Lake (both nearly 2 hours away) so I can’t really speak to them.

Bath will potentially make some noise in the region. The WBL is a meat grinder this year. Hopefully they can stay healthy.

Pleasant too is a little down this year compared to what they normally churn out from year to year.

It’ll be interesting, because the coaches will get the final say on how everyone is seeded within the region.
Ben Logan and IL aren't very good.

Hopefully Rossford can get things straightened out by tomorrow. Shouldn’t have any issue with Woodmore.

Likely would’ve had 2 teams in the playoffs which is typical for the NBC. Only a few times have 3 teams made the playoffs. I don’t believe 4 teams have ever made it in same year.

I believe the last time it 3 teams made the postseason were the SLL days of 2001. Lake, Woodmore and Gibsonburg made the D4, D5 and D6 playoffs.

I believe the last time it 3 teams made the postseason were the SLL days of 2001. Lake, Woodmore and Gibsonburg made the D4, D5 and D6 playoffs.
Correct. Gibsonburg was 8-4. Lake and Woodmore both went 8-3.

Otsego beat both Woodmore and Gibsonburg that year, but lost to Eastwood in week 8, Lake in week 9 and Elmwood in week 10 who went 4-6 in 2001. Epic collapse for the Knights that year.

Eastwood, Genoa, and Lake all made it in 2013. Genoa and Lake were division 4 that year and Eastwood was 5. All three lost in the 1st round but were up against some stout teams.

That was a pretty solid year for the NBC. Woodmore even started out 3-0 that year.

Eastwood, Genoa, and Lake all made it in 2013. Genoa and Lake were division 4 that year and Eastwood was 5. All three lost in the 1st round but were up against some stout teams.

That was a pretty solid year for the NBC. Woodmore even started out 3-0 that year.
Ah yes. This was the year Genoa lost to a very good Bryan team. Genoa's RB/LB gets kicked out for throwing a punch and another kid just walks off the field and quits during the game. Genoa's Coach subsequently loses control of his team and leaves the Genoa football program at the end of the season.

Ah yes. This was the year Genoa lost to a very good Bryan team. Genoa's RB/LB gets kicked out for throwing a punch and another kid just walks off the field and quits during the game. Genoa's Coach subsequently loses control of his team and leaves the Genoa football program at the end of the season.

It was Spiess' final hoorah. That team was absolutely loaded though.

Ahh yes I remember that game! Dominant performance by future All American and 3rd round draft pick Michael Dieter on the line.

Good call by the way on 2013, completely forgot about that season. Glad to see schools like Elmwood & Otsego on the upswing, this league has been Genoa & Eastwood in all boys sports for far too long.

D5 R18
Otsego #2 seed with a bye and gets the Benjamin Logan/Pleasant winner.

Eastwood #5 seed with a bye and get the #12 seed Lake/Waynedale winner.

Genoa #9 seed playing Brooklyn.

Elmwood #16 seed gets Lakota and winner plays #1 seed Liberty Benton.

Fostoria #25 seed playing North Union.

Regional semifinal between Liberty Benton and Elyria Catholic/Eastwood should be a good one and Otsego vs Ottawa Glandorf on the other side.

Rossford beats Woodmore 35-14.

Should be an interesting matchup with Wooster Triway next week. I think we find out a little bit more about Triway after their result tonight against Orrville.

As for tonight:
Lake vs Genoa should be a good one as well as Eastwood vs Elmwood. Both games should be available for live streaming through Toledo Sports Network.

Ahh yes I remember that game! Dominant performance by future All American and 3rd round draft pick Michael Dieter on the line.

Good call by the way on 2013, completely forgot about that season. Glad to see schools like Elmwood & Otsego on the upswing, this league has been Genoa & Eastwood in all boys sports for far too long.
I ran into Michael Deiter at Honda East in March. Good dude. I was getting my Quad serviced and he was buying a brand new one. Needless to say, his Quad was a lot bigger than mine :cautious:

Rossford beats Woodmore 35-14.

Should be an interesting matchup with Wooster Triway next week. I think we find out a little bit more about Triway after their result tonight against Orrville.

As for tonight:
Lake vs Genoa should be a good one as well as Eastwood vs Elmwood. Both games should be available for live streaming through Toledo Sports Network.

Still not too confident in the secondary against teams that can throw. They match up better against Wing-T teams than they have in the past, but not much pass rush out of that big defensive line and WRs open all over the field every week.

The offense is much better when they run the ball and then use the big WRs on slants and skinny posts. Throwing outside the hash marks has been hit and miss all year, IMO.

And after the fastest regular season ever, here is how it ended up:

Otsego 6-0
Eastwood 5-1
Elmwood 3-3
Genoa 3-3
Lake 3-3
Rossford 3-3
Woodmore 1-5
Fostoria 1-6

Two pretty good teams, four average teams, and two well below average teams. Hopefully Otsego and Eastwood can use the bye the week to prepare and recovery for a potential long play off run. Holding out hope that there is rematch in the regional finals.

I believe Elmwood, Genoa, Lake, and Rossford all win their 1st round games but bow out in 2nd round. Woodmore and Fostoria both go down in round 1.

A little trivia...(without looking it up) when was the last time Elmwood beat Eastwood in football?

Elmwood had some great teams in the late 90's. Even when they had decent teams the last 20 years they always seem to be just a step below Eastwood

D5 R18
Otsego #2 seed with a bye and gets the Benjamin Logan/Pleasant winner.

Eastwood #5 seed with a bye and get the #12 seed Lake/Waynedale winner.

Genoa #9 seed playing Brooklyn.

Elmwood #16 seed gets Lakota and winner plays #1 seed Liberty Benton.

Fostoria #25 seed playing North Union.

Regional semifinal between Liberty Benton and Elyria Catholic/Eastwood should be a good one and Otsego vs Ottawa Glandorf on the other side.

Elmwood had some great teams in the late 90's. Even when they had decent teams the last 20 years they always seem to be just a step below Eastwood

Some of those early 2000's teams with Kyle Rhoad were really good, but they just could never beat Eastwood.

In 2003 they made it to the 2nd round with Kyle Rhoad leading the way. Then in 2005 with Al Tyson at quarterback they gave eventual state champion Patrick Henry everything they could handle in the 1st round of the playoffs.

I believe that may have been their last playoff appearance, 2005.

The 2007 team was really good as well but their 3 losses that year were to Hopewell, Genoa, and Eastwood. Those teams went a combined 35-5 that year with a state runner up, regional runner up, and regional semifinalist. Brutal year for the Royals that year.

Last edited: